Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,384 Views | 1253 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by The Dog Lord
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Totally agree; Sanderson's special and not many writers, no matter how dedicated, can match his output. But he also sits down and writes every day like it's his job. That's more what I am talking about.
Faustus
SpreadsheetAg said:

3rd book non-news:
It's called "Doors of Stone"
He's been working on it some lately

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winteriscoming.net/2021/02/13/patrick-rothfuss-drops-the-doors-of-stone-details-kingkiller/amp/

Apparently there was a TV show in the works, and Lin Manuel Mira da was involved:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inverse.com/article/59316-kingkiller-chronicle-tv-series-release-date-cast-trailer-lin-manuel-miranda/amp

But it's died on the vine since 2019
According to his wiki page Rothfuss did a little other work in 2018-19:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Rothfuss

Madmarttigan
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Sigh. Meanwhile Sanderson has produced what? Two thousand pages - 2 huge books and a couple smaller.

Sanderson has done MUCH more than that. He has released over 3,000 pages in the main Stormlight series, alone. Sanderson has released the following, since The Wise Man's Fear:

• Words of Radiance
  • Oathbringer
  • Rhythm of War
  • Shadows of Self
  • Bands of Mourning
  • A Memory of Light (WoT Book)
  • Steelheart
  • Firefight
  • Calamity
  • The Rithmatist
  • Skyward
  • Starsight
  • Over (10) novellas and short stories

Hell, Butcher has released (6) Dresden novels since the release of The Wise Man's fear, as well as The Aeronaut's Windlass... and he took a several year hiatus.

Rothfuss is a whiny slob.

To be fair Sanderson has sold his soul to be such a prolific and great writer. Haven't seen someone in such a groove with so many different series before.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Someone needs to get rothfuss and Martin Stephen kings book "on writing", the most important part of which, sit down and ****ing write. All these other projects and I cant use a semicolon because of Donald Trump crap is total bull***** I have never written a bestseller but I do write about 6-10 hours a day and this is just two rich guys who can't commit to their own greatest creations.
rononeill
Dammit- this thread got me again!
bluefire579
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Someone needs to get rothfuss and Martin Stephen kings book "on writing", the most important part of which, sit down and ****ing write. All these other projects and I cant use a semicolon because of Donald Trump crap is total bull***** I have never written a bestseller but I do write about 6-10 hours a day and this is just two rich guys who can't commit to their own greatest creations.
I mean, GRRM at least tried to get the information from him.

bluefire579
AG
Side note: I'm still not convinced Rothfuss can finish all the loose ends in a single book. Maybe if he hadn't wasted so much time turning Kvothe into a sex god in the last book...
SpreadsheetAg
AG
So I am on book 17 of 20 of the Richard Sharpe series...

I did a Artflow.AI rendering of "Richard Sharpe British Rifleman 1813" and got back this... except for the scar missing, not bad!

Patrick Harper, Irish Sergeant in British Army 1813
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This is what it spit out for Derfel Cadarn from Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series (400-600 AD Briton)

SpreadsheetAg
AG
Feel Free to try your own - this AI basically takes decription inputs and makes mugshots from them...

http://artflow.ai/

Could be pretty damn cool for some custom board gaming, role-playing games like D&D, etc.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quote:

Then there's the long-awaited third book in the series: The Doors of Stone. Speaking on Twitch, Rothfuss offered another lackluster update. "No news on book 3," he said. "Rest assured that if there was news there would be a press release and it'd be on my blog and it'd be the first thing that I say."

Perhaps his upcoming newsletter will keep us informed.
Quote:

Rothfuss likes to occasionally reveal details about Book 3 on streams, many of which are archived on The Eolian on YouTube. For instance, someone asked him whether The Doors of Stone tie up loose ends? The answer is yes and no:

Think of any series that was wrapped up. Think of The Lord of the Rings, which has a pretty solid ending. Was everything wrapped up at the end of the third book of The Lord of the Rings? No, I mean that's what happens in any sort of realistic world, in any sort of realistic story with realistic characters.

"I won't be answering everything [about The Doors of Stone], but the truth is you don't want me to," he continued. "You might think you want me to, but no, you don't. So I won't."
AtlAg05
AG
Translation: "I don't know what I'm going to do yet"
jenn96
AG
Yep. And laying the groundwork so that when it's weak with bad storytelling, it's just fans having unrealistic expectations for how a story should end.
Vince Blake
Rothfuss even remotely comparing his books to LotR reminds me of the John Mulaney joke of people comparing Scarface to The Godfather:

"Oh yeah? Well my favorite foods are lobster and skittles. Those are equal in my eyes."
PatAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I did a Artflow.AI rendering of "Richard Sharpe British Rifleman 1813" and got back this... except for the scar missing, not bad!

I love all of Cornwell's series. I know they made a BBC show with Sean Bean as Sharpe, and The Last Kingdom has been a good adaption of Saxon Chronicles.

I'd love to see another series turned into a show or movie, or honestly even just Sharpe's rifles again.
bluefire579
AG
PatAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

I love all of Cornwell's series. I know they made a BBC show with Sean Bean as Sharpe, and The Last Kingdom has been a good adaption of Saxon Chronicles.

I'd love to see another series turned into a show or movie, or honestly even just Sharpe's rifles again.
EPIX is developing the Warlord Chronicles
SpreadsheetAg
AG
PatAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Yeah a redo of Sharpes rifles would be insanely awesome. The Sean Bean version is outdated and didn't follow the books that well.

His other series: King Arthur/Warlord series and Thomas the Archer series would be fantastic as well
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm not sure there has ever been a writer with as inappropriately high a self image as PR. That first book was very good. The second, above average but not as good as #1. I fully expect 3 to be bloated and self-important.
DallasTeleAg
I see this thread bumped, and got excited. Why the hell are there random mugshots of people not related to The Kingkiller Chronicle?
Madmarttigan
AG
Mugshots are a little strange but if you are clicking into this thread expecting anything related to KK chronicles you haven't been around very long. I honestly click into it hoping to see new fantasy recs.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

I see this thread bumped, and got excited. Why the hell are there random mugshots of people not related to The Kingkiller Chronicle?

Before asking questions like this - go read the first 31 pages...

Since Rothfuss is a self-important procrastinator this thread morphed into other fantasy and sci-fi works, including historical fictions - and favorite fiction writers in the warrior, fantasy, sci-fi genres.

Bernard Cornwells characters - Richard Sharpe and Patrick Harper - are included because someone recommended Cornwell for the Saxon Chronicles way way back... since then I've read every Cornwell book I could get my hands on.
swimmerbabe11
this has been a great thread since we all realized Patrick Rothfuss rather go to comic con instead of write
JJxvi
AG
Is this where we're keeping track of whether or not george r r martin is dead yet?
jenn96
AG
Ha. He may still be kicking but ASOIAF is dead. He starved it to death and then HBO pissed on the corpse. Shame too - it's such a great story. I would have loved to read his version of the ending.
Madmarttigan
AG
What if it's taking so long because that was his version and it was so bad he is rewriting it.
schmendeler
AG
It's been 10 years since book two came out. At some point he's got to admit that he's completely lost, right? This isn't just working through the process anymore.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
He and Martin should switch series and write the conclusions to the other one. It can't be any worse than this damn wait.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Kvoth Kingkiller, Red Hair, Green Eyes

rononeill
Dammit- this thread got me again!
TyHolden
AG
my wife got me a new book.
i read half of it before i realized it was this book.
i've read the ****ing trilogy.
i'm sure i've posted on this thread.
wtf...
PatAg
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

wtf...
You've read what trilogy?
mpl35
AG
MaximusDMeridius said:

wtf...

If you read the ****ing trilogy I know a **** ton of people that want the 3rd book
TyHolden
AG
mpl35 said:

MaximusDMeridius said:

wtf...

If you read the ****ing trilogy I know a **** ton of people that want the 3rd book
yeah, that's how much I remember…
rononeill
My monthly "dammit! Got me again!"
JJxvi
AG
LOL. Rothfuss is never writing this book. I find it incredible that people are still waiting for this, while also claiming that George RR Martin will never finish ASOIAF. Well, only one of those two guys is actually even a working author anymore, much less actually working on the series. Rothfuss hasnt released anything in 7 years, he's not even working on this. There will never be any news unless he bankrupts himself and needs the money, so you better hope for that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.