Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,607 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
RedbeardAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The biggest problem people have with the Kingkiller so far is that the protagonist comes of as to perfect at everything he does and that the main love interest is mind blowingly stupid/annoying.
What people don't understand is that I think Rothfuss did this on purpose. The story is being told by the main character looking back on his life. It makes sense that he may inflate his better attributes a little and I'm sure the way that she acted was incredibly confusing to him. We aren't getting the whole story from her.

So far the first book was awesome, the second one could have used a little editing( maybe cut some of Mr. Rothfuss's personal sex fantasies out) and I have 0 idea how they are going to wrap this up in the third book. I'm thinking there will be another trilogy that takes place after the first 3 days.

As far as when book 3 comes out. Rothfus has given indications to expect it sometime in the middle of 2014 I think. There was a long time in between book 1 and 2, but I think that was a combination of getting stuck and having one parent die and the other become diagnosed with a terminal illness.

For other recommendations people have posted alot of good stuff. But if you are looking to a style similar to Kingkiller I would go with

The Gentleman Ba$tards- These books are very well written but have the downside of not being close to finished and having an author who is going through some crazy depression/WoW addiction. Book three is coming out in October though

Anything Brandon Sanderson- Will stay more on the light side tone wise. Still has plenty of action and great world building/ magic syatems. I would start with Mistborn, as it is an already completed trilogy but The Stormlight Archives will be his ultimate masterpeice (only on book 1 of 10 right now).

Brent Weeks- The night angel trilogy is a little darker than Kingkiller and not as well written, but his new series with the Black Prism and The Blinding Knife is much better.

The Wheel of Time- stuff is very good but you need to have some serious time set aside to burn through it. It has probably the most complex fleshed out world of any series I'ver read with characters,countries and history, but part of that is because there are 14 giant ass books to do it in.

The Dresden Files- Not strictly Fantasy more of an urban fantasy/Fairy Tale mash up. A PI in Chicago. Long series but quick reads and while the first few books are pretty meh the more recent books are exceptional.

Robin Hobb- She does characters really well. I liked these books but I would read everything else on the list before her. Also only read the first 9 books. Everything else blows. Also also, dont read if you don't like to see the protagonist get **** on every freaking chapter.

If you are looking for something a little darker/gritty that doesn't always have a happy ending I would recomend

A song of Ice and Fire- Pretty obvious one here with Game of Thrones

Joe Abercrombie stuff. His books are very well written but you kind of need to take some Prosac after reading.

MOst recently I've read the Prince/King/Emperor of thorns series by Mark Lawrence. Its pretty effed up. The first book wasn't very good, but the second book came on strong and I have high hopes for the third that will come out in like a month.
tremble
AG
You should read the Prince of Nothing and Aspect Emperor series by Scott Bakker.

Those are pretty ****ed up but damned interesting. Almost more Tolkien-esque in the world building and mythology. A lot darker and a lot more screwed up people though.
PatAg
AG
Well, beav, thats like, your opinion man.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Well, beav, thats like, your opinion man.

Haha...exactly how I felt when reading that.

[This message has been edited by jlb2957 (edited 7/10/2013 7:19a).]
beav
AG
quote:
What people don't understand is that I think Rothfuss did this on purpose. The story is being told by the main character looking back on his life. It makes sense that he may inflate his better attributes a little and I'm sure the way that she acted was incredibly confusing to him. We aren't getting the whole story from her.

And I get that, but whether it's Rothfuss or Kvothe, it doesn't make reading those parts more bearable.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

Can't wait for the next book.
LawAg05
AG
quote:
The story is being told by the main character looking back on his life. It makes sense that he may inflate his better attributes a little and I'm sure the way that she acted was incredibly confusing to him.

Not to mention he is currently no where near a perfect, infallible character in the present. He couldn't win a simple bar fight. I think his character arc must be pretty steep and I'm looking forward to learning how he arrived at his current situation.
maverick2076
Plus, he's Edema Ruh, a race of storytellers and performers. He tells you all about how the Ruh shape and craft their story. Also, I think he is setting himself up so high that, when he falls, it is much more spectacular and dramatic. Ruh storytelling at its finest.
jlb2957
AG
I think he locked his name in that chest, which is why he can no longer perform sympathy in the same way. Kind of like the story about the guy who stole the name of the moon.
MW03
AG
I didn't read the books, but I did enjoy the heck out of the audio book versions read by Nick Podehl. I've listened to a ton of books, and his performance ranks among the best. Well worth a 2 month membership to audible to enjoy Poedhl's reading of both.

I just hope he's still in the game when Rothfuss finishes the 3rd. The dude that read the ASOIF series for George RR Martin basically forgot how to voice all the characters by the time Martin got around to -you know- actually writing another book. Very disappointing.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
I think he locked his name in that chest, which is why he can no longer perform sympathy in the same way. Kind of like the story about the guy who stole the name of the moon.

This theory, I like it.
tremble
AG
Interesting theory, indeed. Makes sense thematically and it fits with him trying to get back into it so desperately at times.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
Question for you guys... what is your favorite chapter of the books?

Mine is probably after his parents die and he goes out into the wilderness and just plays his Lute until all the strings are broken
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
The protagonist often comes across as a smug turd. And the female protagonist is pretty annoying to boot.

The protagonist is (up to now) less than 17 and is extremely smart and cunning, but gets himself into alot of trouble because he is impatient and spontaneous. He is a smug know-it-all... but the presnt-day Kvothe (Innkeeper) is none of these things. He is hesitant, quick-to-anger, and melancholy. I think we will see in Book 3 how he lost his smugness and was humbled and/or disgraced.

The female protagonist is one of the most frustrating characters I've ever read; I'm sure all of us males have met women like her in the past though.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

I came to a similar theory while reading it...

I also don't know what Bast's angle is...
beav
AG
quote:
Question for you guys... what is your favorite chapter of the books?

My favorite part was easily him getting his talent pipes. All that lead up to it and tying in his 1 string lute playing was great reading.

Also really intrigued by the Cthaeh and its impact on the next book. I also enjoyed that part because it finally signaled the end of the Felurian part...
jlb2957
AG
This thread is falling too far.

Best quote from either book:

"You lack the requisite spine and testicular fortitude to study under me."
RedbeardAG
AG
I personally really liked the big heroin addict lizard.
Quad Dog
AG
I've read both of these, and really enjoyed them. I surprised myself at how quickly I read them. Looking back parts of it seem like they would be mundane or boring (the parts with Denna or worrying about money), but something about Rothfuss's style made them interesting.
I really liked the magic (or sympathy and naming) in these books. I usually am wary of magic in books because it can easily turn into a bad Deux es Machina (this is the reason I didn't like the first Wheel of Time book much). In my opinion interesting magic in a book has to be creative (like the first few Harry Potter books) or there has to be a price for the magic. These books seem to do those two things well.
Can't wait for the next book to get the stories behind: his sword Folly; what's in the chest (nice theory above btw); what he did to get expelled; what Bast is really up to.
RedbeardAG
AG
If you really do like a magic system with a very strictly defined set of rules and costs then you should look into Brandon Sandersons stuff. (Mistborne is a good trilogy)
The magic systems he creates are all very unique and more like science than mysticism.
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks RedbeardAG, just added that to my list to read.
PatAg
AG
Michael A. Stackpole wrote a series called "The Age of Discovery" that I personally enjoyed a lot. I recognized his name from some of the Star Wards X-Wing books I read in my younger days, gave it a shot.
Micah97
AG
I have read all of Sanderson's fantasy books.

Way of Kings is by far his best. The story of Kaladin is truly amazing and the best written character in fantasy I have ever read.

Enjoyed the Mistborn trilogoy and outrigger novel that came out recently - Alloy of Law. Fun book.

I thought he missed with Warbreaker, but others seem to like it. I enjoyed Elantris, but not as well written as Way of Kings or the Mistborn series. Not surprising since it is one of his earlier books.

Emperor's Soul and Legion were novellas published last year. Both are alot of fun. Legion was great. I had loads of fun reading the book and it only took 60 min or so to read.

I need to give Name of the Wind another try. Iread the throught he first half of the book and I did not get hooked. I put it down where it has been sitting since.

Looking for new fantasy series. Reading Gardens of the Moon right now, first book of the Malazan Empire series. I am just over 100 page in and it is confusing. I am marching through it hoping it becomes more clear what exactly is going on.
Prophet00
AG
I just read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and was very impressed. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the Kingkiller series.
agmatt06
AG
I'm really looking forward to the second Blood Song book.
sayas2005
AG
Just finished Wise Man's Fear last night. The Kingkiller Chronicle are the best books I've read in a long time.

I understand the complaints about Kvothe. My wife didn't read the second book because of her frustrations with his decision making.

Even if Rothfuss spins it into another trilogy to bring it from "present day" forward, there are alot of loose ends to tie up just to get Kvothe to Kote. The third book is going to have to be 2,000 pages long - not that I'd complain about that.
tremble
AG
quote:
I just read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and was very impressed. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the Kingkiller series.

Glad you enjoyed it. I've probably reread it 4-5 times in the last year. Well-written, great characterization, and excellent development.
Prophet00
AG
Tremble, any suggestions on authors similar to Ryan?
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Even if Rothfuss spins it into another trilogy to bring it from "present day" forward, there are alot of loose ends to tie up just to get Kvothe to Kote. The third book is going to have to be 2,000 pages long - not that I'd complain about that.

I would kill for a 2000 pager.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
My favorite part was easily him getting his talent pipes. All that lead up to it and tying in his 1 string lute playing was great reading.

Kind of funny how you don't like how smug Kvothe is, but your favorite part is one of his most self-glorifying moments.
YouBet
AG
Meh. That is my reaction to book one. Im not sure why I wasn't bowled over by it considering the acclaim it has but I just wasn't. It was ok.

I will check out Way of Kings though.
beav
AG
quote:
Kind of funny how you don't like how smug Kvothe is, but your favorite part is one of his most self-glorifying moments.

I never said the book didn't have some great moments. The book just had a lot of ups and downs for me. The Talent Pipes scene was a great moment. I thought the Felurian scene was a terribly bad moment. The books were too inconsistent to live up to the high praise, IMO.

But to each his own, right?
agmatt06
AG
The Felurian part was the worst part of the books to me. No need for it to go on as long as it did.

The third book will be awesome...I just don't know how he is going to get from the point that book two left off to present day. I really don't want him to skimp on any of it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Any updates to the series mentioned in this thread?

I am finishing up book 5 of the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell (Uhtred of Bebbanburg might be one of my favorite characters ever) and he just released book 7 ... I am also still trudging through SOIAF Book 2 trying to catch up to the TV series
bendover
I'm still working through them, but I'm going to go ahead and throw out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Stephen Erikson.

I read the first six books a few years ago and was pretty "meh" on them and stopped reading. I recently picked up book one and started re-reading them. I'm currently reading book seven and I have to say, they may end up being my favorite fantasy series all-time.

They're just so very different than anything out there, I think you really have to read them twice to get the full effect and to really understand everything that is going on. These books have a HUGE cast of characters and a LOT of different things going on. They are also extremely funny once you figure out the author's sense of humor.

Be warned if you try them, the author drops you right into the middle and there is very little in way of exposition. You just kind of learn as you go, and at several different times you will have "aha" moments where things click into place (especially if you go back and re-read).

Lots of action and nobody is safe in this series. Characters die left and right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.