Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,694 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Second
PatAg
AG
He also wrote an enjoyable series of books about Richard Sharpe.
bearamedic99
AG
Effing +1 for the Sharpe series. Not a bad set of a mini series with Sean Bean/Ned Stark as Sharpe
Madmarttigan
AG
Reading the way of kings currently, is there ever a point where I will care about shallans storyline? I just get mad when it switches from kaladin lol.
maverick2076
Shallan's story picks up quite a bit. It definitely starts of slower than Kaladin's, but it becomes just as riveting.
jlb2957
AG
You should drop way of kings and read blood song
BQCadet
AG
Needless to say that **** gets real in Shallan's story towards the end. Does start very slow though. Kaladin's and Dalinar's archs are better overall though
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Great thread! I've enjoyed the various opinions.
I'm new to the fantasy genre. Growing up I read The Lord of the rings stuff and was never impressed. However, in 2006 I randomly picked up GoTs and was hooked. My problem is I've struggled finding anything close.
I read half way thru WoT book 1 and absolutely hated it. Same with Mistborn. I'm half way thru the king killer book 2 and it's better. Though still not close.
So, I'm looking for recommendations. I think for me it has to be very light on the fantasy and must be geared towards adults.
I'm going to finish out wise man's fear as I haven't disliked it. Then I'm leaning towards blood song based on what I've read on here. TIA for any advice!

Oh and I listen on my commute so I need books with an audio format. I was going to try the Wool series but it doesn't have an audiobook version.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
DP.

[This message has been edited by Aggie_Outlaw (edited 3/16/2014 11:11a).]
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
TP. ugh sorry

[This message has been edited by Aggie_Outlaw (edited 3/16/2014 11:11a).]
bearamedic99
AG
Outlaw, maybe try the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? I believe it starts with Storm Front. The first three are okay <-> good but then get awesome
Madmarttigan
AG
I understand disliking WoT but rather surprised someone put down mistborn halfway. I thought it started out much quicker than way of kings. Also as an E book I really didn't realize way of kings is 1200 pages. I was like man I'm reading reallllllly slow but I didn't know lol. It does keep getting better and better towards the end though.
maverick2076
Outlaw, check out the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Those should fit what you are looking for...
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
Thanks Maverick. I was considering Abercrombie based on reviews and what I've read here. I think along with Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, I'll put that at the top of my list. I hadn't considered Butcher, but I'll read up.

And, I shouldn't have been so harsh on Mistborn. Unlike WoT(which I truly disliked), Mistborn reminded me more of the Kingkiller series which hasn't been a bad read. I may go back and give it another shot.
Madmarttigan
AG
Ok it may be the longest book ever but the way of kings had a FANTASTIC ending. Worth it.
maverick2076
I just finished Blood Song. Great story, but he really needs a better editor. Too many instances of commas being used to separate short, simple sentences without conjunctions instead of making longer, more complex sentences. It was really jarring. I hope the second book has a better editor.
jlb2957
AG
@maverick

Uhh... you do realize Blood song was an independent release, right?

There really wasn't an editor. He signed with a publisher after Blood Song got popular.
maverick2076
Then he should have hired an editor...or edited it himself.
Deputy Travis Junior
I think people got this thread confused with the general fantasy thread
PatAg
AG
I think it naturally progressed. You click this thread to read about Kingkiller Chronicles, then other people have posted books they also liked. Theoretically, these people should have similar tastes to yours.
Prime0882
AG
Every time I see this thread bumped I hate you all for it since it's not about when the last book is going to be released (instead, I see that it's been pushed back).

Then, you go and recommend other books to try out and you all totally redeem yourselves! Going to start up Blood Song here soon after I finish Dr. Gate's memoirs.
Prime0882
AG
By the way, I found a list on Reddit Books about gritter fiction/fantasy and The Powder Mage Trilogy by Brian McClellan was thrown out a bit.

Set in a 1800s type time frame where gunpowder and magic are used on the battlefield. Looked interesting and had some good reviews. Hoping it's in the same vein as Abercrombie.

http://www.amazon.com/Promise-Blood-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0092XHPIG/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-2-spell&qid=1395324663
AgDC
Don't think it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but for those who may have read the Sword of Truth series, is it worth investing the time to read a 12 book series?
PastrySquirrel
Read the first 3 or 4 and drop it
maverick2076
Sword of Truth gets really crappy after the first couple. Instead, try The Demon Cycle series by Peter V. Brett. Its an excellent series so far, with some really interesting and original concepts.
bearamedic99
AG
I was pumped for this year with the new Stormlight Archive book (PS- almost done re-reading the first book before starting the new one), a new Dresden book in May, and a new Brent Weeks book in August.

The year just got better.

Also, in August, a new Fitz & Fool by Robin Hobb book will be released. I didn't like the liveship traders series but thought the second Fitz series was good. I want to hope this book will be good as well. More info- http://www.amazon.com/Fools-Assassin-Fitz-Fool-Trilogy/dp/0553392425/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZEDV00Z8G25VWGFMJHT
bearamedic99
AG
Also, July will have a new Joe Abercrombie book Half a King and October will have a new novella from Rothfuss in the Kingkiller world about Auri.
jlb2957
AG
New Dresden Files on May 27th and the followup to Blood Song on June 1st... I can't wait.
agmatt06
AG
Man..my backlog of books is starting to get long...Blood Song was as good or better than the Kingkiller Chronicles...

I still need to finish WOT, Read the second Way of Kings...Now Dresden and Blood Song 2...

At least I have my next several months of book reading covered.

This may be the first year I don't have downtime and end up rereading the Harry Potter series.
Thunder18
AG
Just finished The Name of the Wind last night...have Bllod Song and The Way of Kings on tap...but should I read the 2nd Kingkiller book first?
JJxvi
AG
I started reading Kingkiller. Rothfuss seems to have Sanderson's way with words, but I'm struggling to connect with his characters.
BQCadet
AG
Just finished Sanderson's "Words of Radiance". Incredible book. Literally had me on the edge of my seat multiple times. Sanderson's epic fantasy is just on another level.
agmatt06
AG
quote:
have Bllod Song and The Way of Kings on tap...but should I read the 2nd Kingkiller book first?

Personally, I'm a big fan of reading as many books in a series as you can because it's all fresh in your mind.
swimmerbabe11
Commenting to bookmark this thread.

I can't wait for book 3. I loved the first 2..but after finishing book 2, I couldn't help but feel a bit like I just read the longest story of how he lost his virginity. I enjoyed reading the book though; it didn't frustrate me until I finished and thought "wait a second...was that really all we got done there?"
LawAg05
AG
quote:
I couldn't help but feel a bit like I just read the longest story of how he lost his virginity.

You mean when he went to magic fairy land for lots and lots of sex only to be whisked back to his own land as an adult without much actual time passing?

Yea, I love these books but that part does seem out of place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.