Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,466 Views | 1253 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by The Dog Lord
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The books are better than the show. They still aren't great, especially when you consider that they will never be finished. And it's certainly not the top of fantasy…not even modern fantasy.
StinkyPinky
AG
maverick2076 said:

The books are better than the show. They still aren't great, especially when you consider that they will never be finished. And it's certainly not the top of fantasy…not even modern fantasy.

I should have qualified that as the opinion of several fantasy forums, not my own since I have yet to read them. But this is just the feedback I'm looking for. Cheers
DallasTeleAg
I have. They are much better; especially because we are back to just following Vaelin. But i'm sticking with "trash" for Queen of Fire. My opinion; i'm entitled to it.

As for the Gentleman *******s, I would have to say 3 > 1 > 2, for me. I thought the first one was good, but it was kind of jarring to get to used to his writing. It definitely picked up, towards the end. I actually put the second one down about 100 pages into it, the first time. Finally finished it, and it was stronger in the second half.

I don't know what it was about the 3rd one, but REALLY enjoyed that book, a lot.
StinkyPinky
AG
As an update I forced myself through A Blade Itself. I actually came around on it. I didn't love it, but I finally adapted to the writing style and found it entertaining. But still miles from all the recognition and esteem it's received. Will read the other books because OCD makes me do stupid stuff.
Faustus
Bonzer103 said:

As an update I forced myself through A Blade Itself. I actually came around on it. I didn't love it, but I finally adapted to the writing style and found it entertaining. But still miles from all the recognition and esteem it's received. Will read the other books because OCD makes me do stupid stuff.
You have to be realistic about these things.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-editor-believes-author-hasnt-written-anything-years-1520812
bluefire579
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-editor-believes-author-hasnt-written-anything-years-1520812
I do not envy that poor woman
AtlAg05
AG
"Believes"?

I think everyone knew that.
Claude!
bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I mean, to a certain extent, easiest job in the world, right?
YouBet
AG
I can't believe it's been a decade since book 2 came out. Glad I never read it!
The Porkchop Express
I can't believe I fell for this ***cing thread again.
bluefire579
AG
Claude! said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Not if your publisher goes under because the golden goose stops laying eggs. That's why it would be better to be GRRM's editor. You do slightly more work, but it's only like a Wild Cards collection or ASoIaF compendium every few years.
swimmerbabe11
he's doing a twitch q and a stream soon and a Facebook post came up about it. the mods were all over that thread deleting anything that mentioned the idea of writing another book.
Al Bula
AG
AtlAg05 said:

"Believes"?

I think everyone knew that.
its kind of like saying a killer allegedly caused the death of someone.

Lost interest in this storyline a long time ago. Never finished book two. Looks like the fat lib weirdo Roth fuss is a flameout. Wasn't THAT great to begin with.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Claude! said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

It's gotta be like herding cats and petulant, ADHD children.
YouBet
AG
bluefire579 said:

Claude! said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Not if your publisher goes under because the golden goose stops laying eggs. That's why it would be better to be GRRM's editor. You do slightly more work, but it's only like a Wild Cards collection or ASoIaF compendium every few years.

GRRM doing anime/cartoons now too. I saw his name attached to something the other day that is coming out. Already forgot what it was though.
bluefire579
AG
YouBet said:

bluefire579 said:

Claude! said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

GRRM doing anime/cartoons now too. I saw his name attached to something the other day that is coming out. Already forgot what it was though.
Haven't seen any cartoons, but I know he was attached to Elden Ring (which is having a bit of a media blitz the past month), though I believe he was only part of the incubation phase.
Rocag
AG
So in what is perhaps the first actual Doors of Stone news in a long time, Patrick Rothfuss will be reading the prologue to the book on his Twitch stream today at 1:00 PM CST along with a Q&A.

But yes, I'm still very skeptical that this book ever actually gets released.
mpl35
AG
Wow. Actual news in this thread about the 3rd book. Amazing
StinkyPinky
AG
Going to stay pessimistic here that this thing doesn't see the light of day in the next year. Feels like a ploy
The Porkchop Express
Maybe he could promise to post a word a day from the new novel.
bluefire579
AG
Exciting to have *something*, but yeah, GRRM started reading chapters from Winds of Winter like a decade ago
SpreadsheetAg
AG
mpl35 said:

Wow. Actual news in this thread about the 3rd book. Amazing
Time hack, 8 years, 5 months, 7 days since OP
SpreadsheetAg
AG
He's on now reading:
https://www.twitch.tv/patrickrothfuss

Talking about teasing and anticipation... tone deaf...
Rocag
AG
That was a short prologue very similar to the ones that came before. I don't know what else I was expecting to be honest.

Maybe this kind of thing will encourage him to write more and actually get this done.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
His voice is NOT what I was expecting... very mousy
JJxvi
AG
Well, I wasn't listening or anything, but what I expected was just some Kingkiller filler trash to bait more people into his D&D playtime twitch stream to make a little extra cash...
NoHo Hank
AG
Reminds me of that scene in the office where they're interviewing new managers to replace Michael and Will Arnett says he has a 3 step plan to double sales.

Patrick is going to give viewers part 3 of part 2 of the prologue. He's not just going to give you the prologue. But he has a prologue, why would he lie about having a prologue?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
JJxvi said:

Well, I wasn't listening or anything, but what I expected was just some Kingkiller filler trash to bait more people into his D&D playtime twitch stream to make a little extra cash...
Nailed it...

"... the Star Trek discovery cast will be on my D&D game tonight!"

"... donate to buy a chicken or goat for a poor family!"

"... I'll auction off the prologue I just crumpled up and threw away!"

"... I can't give away my DNA because they may create a Jurassic Park for Authors one day!"

Man, I want to like this guy, but it's hard.
jenn96
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

You're assuming he writes a word a day on the new novel That seems overoptimistic.
JJxvi
AG
jenn96 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

You're assuming he writes a word a day on the new novel That seems overoptimistic.
That seems like a reasonable pace for him. So if the book is as long as WMF, then it should be ready in roughly the year 3092.
bangobango
AG
Dude is a chode.

I really liked his first book, and I bought when it first came out and the advertising PROMISED that the series would be completed in three years b/c it was already written.

He's a liar and he's a hack and I don't think he is even trying to finish book three, he's too busy doing other crap and living off success from book one. I'm not even sure I'd buy the third book at this point b/c the guy has just flat out lied so much and blamed others so much for his failures.

And I'm not a guy that gets pissed at authors about this stuff. I have never said anything about Martin and ASOIAF because I knew when I started reading it that it might take forever to finish (I was a huge Robert Jordan fan growing up). But I specifically would not have bought this guy's debut novel if he hadn't LIED to everyone and said the series was done.

Keep in mind, this was in the middle of big delays between Jordan and Martin so people were leery of starting new fantasy series with no end date in sight and he knew that and he lied about it so he could get his series bought and distributed and then sold by a major publishing company.

And now he spend a lot of his time lecturing people on how terrible they are b/c they are a different political bent than him.
PatAg
AG
bangobango said:

Dude is a chode.

I really liked his first book, and I bought when it first came out and the advertising PROMISED that the series would be completed in three years b/c it was already written.

He's a liar and he's a hack and I don't think he is even trying to finish book three, he's too busy doing other crap and living off success from book one. I'm not even sure I'd buy the third book at this point b/c the guy has just flat out lied so much and blamed others so much for his failures.

And I'm not a guy that gets pissed at authors about this stuff. I have never said anything about Martin and ASOIAF because I knew when I started reading it that it might take forever to finish (I was a huge Robert Jordan fan growing up). But I specifically would not have bought this guy's debut novel if he hadn't LIED to everyone and said the series was done.

Keep in mind, this was in the middle of big delays between Jordan and Martin so people were leery of starting new fantasy series with no end date in sight and he knew that and he lied about it so he could get his series bought and distributed and then sold by a major publishing company.

And now he spend a lot of his time lecturing people on how terrible they are b/c they are a different political bent than him.
mpl35
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

JJxvi said:

Nailed it...

"... the Star Trek discovery cast will be on my D&D game tonight!"

"... donate to buy a chicken or goat for a poor family!"

"... I'll auction off the prologue I just crumpled up and threw away!"

"... I can't give away my DNA because they may create a Jurassic Park for Authors one day!"

Man, I want to like this guy, but it's hard.

I was working. Was that really it?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Literal quotes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.