Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

149,641 Views | 1247 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Al Bula
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ACTUAL KINGKILLER NEWS.... just not about the 3rd Book

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/kingkiller-chronicle-finds-writer-exclusive-230026868.html

quote:
Lindsey Beer, one of the writers who is working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt the first book of Patrick Rothfuss' best-selling fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicle for Lionsgate.

Robert Lawrence, whose credits include 1995 classic Clueless as well as the Robert Redford-James Gandolfini drama The Last Castle, is producing.

Lionsgate has a multi-pronged plan on adapting the epic fantasy book and simultaneous developing movies, television series and video games.

Kingkiller chronicles the life and times of Kvothe, a magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

. . .

I didn't even know it was getting a movie.
bangobango
AG
quote:
About 25% through Dawn of Wonder. I'm definitely hooked. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll post my complete thoughts when I finish. (Which shouldn't take too long at the current clip I'm going. Can't seem to put it down.)
When does it pick up? I'm 100+ pages into it and so far I'm not impressed at all.
titanmaster_race
Odds they produce a 3rd movie before doors of stone is published?

I say at least 2/1
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
About 25% through Dawn of Wonder. I'm definitely hooked. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll post my complete thoughts when I finish. (Which shouldn't take too long at the current clip I'm going. Can't seem to put it down.)
When does it pick up? I'm 100+ pages into it and so far I'm not impressed at all.
Personally, I found it interesting from the get go. Is it the style you don't like? Or the actual narrative? It's hard for me to determine a "taking off" point because I have yet to finish it. I'm still very much in the "setting up the story" part. (Honestly I'm not that far ahead of you. I think I'm around 200? Maybe just shy.)

I guess if you're 100+ pages in and still feel like it's a chore to read, the odds are low that your expectations will be turned around. At the same time, I can't really offer a "just give it a chance, the payoff is worth it" to ya. (Because I don't know)

I'll be happy to provide a full review as soon as I finish it. (Probably this weekend).
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/kingkiller-chronicle-finds-writer-exclusive-230026868.html

quote:
Lindsey Beer, one of the writers who is working on Transformers 5, has been tapped to adapt the first book of Patrick Rothfuss' best-selling fantasy trilogy The Kingkiller Chronicle for Lionsgate.

Robert Lawrence, whose credits include 1995 classic Clueless as well as the Robert Redford-James Gandolfini drama The Last Castle, is producing.

Lionsgate has a multi-pronged plan on adapting the epic fantasy book and simultaneous developing movies, television series and video games.

Kingkiller chronicles the life and times of Kvothe, a magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

. . .

They better not **** it up like they did to Eragon
AgHawkeye
AG
quote:
quote:

There was one part of the book that I found quite slow and a couple that were frustrating. However I really liked the beginning of the book and how it brought you in to the life of the main character. As far as a payoff, I really liked the ending and the set up for the next book but not certain if you don't like what you have seen so far it will be enough b
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:

quote:

. . .

Let's see here...only credits are Tranformers 5 and a Barbie movie? This can only be good.
PatAg
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

. . .

Let's see here...only credits are Tranformers 5 and a Barbie movie? This can only be good.
yikes
SpreadsheetAg
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I just hope Rothfuss has a lot of input
MW03
AG
quote:
I just hope Rothfuss has a lot of input
If he does, I'm sure the movie will stop halfway through for a telethon and then never, ever resume.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Well played
Absolute
AG
Big Sci first and fantasy reader.

Liked name of the wind, but thought the second was pretty weak. Hope the third is better. Either way he needs to be more prolific. Takes too long between books.

Could never make it through the wheel of time series. Tried a few times. Do like Sanderson a lot.

Would suggest the night angel series by Brent weeks, especially if you like the lightbringer stuff.

Butcher has another series other than the dresden files that was decent.

Different style but Raymond feist magician series is one of my old favorites. Goes on forever and loses steam after a while, but the first 6 or 7 are great. Also remember fondly the Deryni series from when I was young. David Eddings Belgariad was one of my first favorites as a kid.

Been reading a bunch of independent type stuff on Kindle unlimited lately. Have found a number of solid works mixed in with crap.

Mike Lee's stuff is very good.
David Welch Chaos Quarter (Sci fy) is great.

Will have to think about others
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Thanks, good contribution Absolute
RedbeardAG
AG
I can understand people who don't like The Wheel of Time...but when you follow it up by recommending Feist I immediately stop listening. The only people who I've ever heard recommend it seem to have read it at a young age and look at it through the goggles of nostalgia. I read the first trilogy a few years ago and it was so generic/poorly written. Probably the worst characters I've ever read. I only kept going because I had already bought the books and was stuck in the field with nothing else to do.

Night Angel is decent but you can definitely tell it was his first series. He made huge improvements in the Lightbringer series.
Absolute
AG
Wow, tough crowd.

To be fair I was kid when I first read feist. One of my first, so there is admitted nostalgia there.

Not sure why wheel of time never clicked for me. Made it several books in and tried it a couple times.
AgLiving06
quote:
I can understand people who don't like The Wheel of Time...but when you follow it up by recommending Feist I immediately stop listening. The only people who I've ever heard recommend it seem to have read it at a young age and look at it through the goggles of nostalgia. I read the first trilogy a few years ago and it was so generic/poorly written. Probably the worst characters I've ever read. I only kept going because I had already bought the books and was stuck in the field with nothing else to do.

Night Angel is decent but you can definitely tell it was his first series. He made huge improvements in the Lightbringer series.

I'd reword it a bit.

I can understand why people don't like what Jordan did to the middle of the story, but the overall story itself is pretty awesome and Sanderson finished it up perfectly.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd reword it a bit.

I can understand why people don't like what Jordan did to the middle of the story, but the overall story itself is pretty awesome and Sanderson finished it up perfectly.
+1
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Absolute
AG
quote:

Upon further reflection, who made you the last word on fiction? And who the h*** are you to tell me something I like sucks? If you don't like it, don't read it. Thought the point of this type of discussion was to share things that we liked, so other might find something new, not to attack other people's suggestions.
Absolute
AG
quote:
quote:

I'd reword it a bit.

Maybe I will give it another go.
RedbeardAG
AG
You are free to read whatever you want. Just like I'm free to disagree with you. People agreeing and disagreeing about things is kind of the key interaction of Internet forums.
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:

To each his own. I thought WOT sucked. Admittedly, I only made it 75% through book one.

Finished the 1st law series. I thought it was great!

My new personal rankings

1) A Song of Ice and Fire (GRRM)
2) King Killer (Rothfuss)
3) Lightbringer (Weeks)
4) Stormlight (Sanderson)
5) 1st Law (Abercrombie)
6) Mistborn (Sanderson)
7) Raven's Shadow (Ryan)

It so hard comparing completed and uncompleted series though.
Hudson2508
AG
Don't judge the series on so little reading. The books hit their stride for me in books 3-5. Lost their stride in books 7-10 and regained form to finish the series.

WoT is one of my favorites. It's not top tier due to the middle books but I loved the characters and the series as a whole. Don't give up is all I'm saying.
schmendeler
AG
Wow, three quarters of book one, eh? You really dove in.
M.C. Swag
AG
I mean, it's not really a ringing endorsement to say, "Books 1 and 2 are 'OK' but once you get 5 books in, you're hooked." I'm not really a fan of a series that takes thousands of pages to move the plot to a point that I find interesting. I understand why someone would bail on any story if they find it a chore to read, even after 600+ pages in.
Hudson2508
AG
Well I really liked books 1 and 2 as well. The first book is mainly an introduction and it doesn't touch the surface of all the great things to come. RJ was building a massive world and judging it based off of that small of a sample is silly.

The series is not for everyone but it is definitely a great story.
mpl35
AG
quote:
Well I really liked books 1 and 2 as well. The first book is mainly an introduction and it doesn't touch the surface of all the great things to come. RJ was building a massive world and judging it based off of that small of a sample is silly.

The series is not for everyone but it is definitely a great story.

Agreed. I loved book one.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
quote:

Upon further reflection, who made you the last word on fiction? And who the h*** are you to tell me something I like sucks? If you don't like it, don't read it. Thought the point of this type of discussion was to share things that we liked, so other might find something new, not to attack other people's suggestions.
Upon my own further reflection who made you the last word on fiction? Are your opinions so great that they can't be disagreed with? Sure, this thread has been about letting people know what we like, but it also about warning them about books that are total and complete ****e so they don't waste valuable time and or money on them. I personally think that Feists books fall squarely into that category. I'm sure they were decent books ~35 years ago when D&D fanfic and cheap LoTR knock offs were all that were available. I just don't think they hold up well to current standards for fantasy and thought it was a good idea to share that opinion with people who may be delving into the genre.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I have finally committed to working through the middle books of WoT and am actually enjoying them. I got through 5 books the first time, made it through 6th on the next reread, and am now finally plowing towards the Sanderson promised land.
RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
I have finally committed to working through the middle books of WoT and am actually enjoying them. I got through 5 books the first time, made it through 6th on the next reread, and am now finally plowing towards the Sanderson promised land.
Honestly if you have a hard time with book 5 and 6 your probably going to be miserable in book ~9.
I understand the struggle. I think I enjoyed the middle books more than most (Outside of the Perrin quagmire, I really enjoy the characters/world building. Plus the Matt chapters make it all worthwhile.) but I read them when I had a lot more time on my hands. Not sure I could of tied up the limited free time I have now with them.

Although what do I know, I've spent the better part of a year slogging through Malazan.
AgLiving06
I'm pretty sure I haven't made it through the first chapter of Malazan series. I've started it like 4 times and quit real quickly each time.
RedbeardAG
AG
Yeah, that was me several times. Malazan and I have a complicated relationship. I'm on book 5 and still haven't figured out why people absolutely love it....but at the same time I keep picking up the next one. I'll go for a month+ not wanting to touch it, to pounding out a couple hundred pages without putting it down.
Absolute
AG
Peace, Truce Man.

I agree forums are a place for discourse. I should not have taken your initial comment personally. Just the part that I perceived to imply that if I did not like A and did like B my it makes my opinion on everything invalid. That ticked me off.

I was excited to see a discussion about the first form of fiction that I got into. For most of the 35 years I have been reading it, starting with Lloyd Alexander back in grade school, it is not something I have found many like minds to share or get ideas from.

Heck I freely admit, I am out on some of the newer stuff that is so serious. Life is serious enough. Sometimes it is okay to have well (okay decently) written stuff with characters that are likeable and entertaining stories. For example, I really want to like the Game of Thrones stuff. I like the writing, but they are so freaking depressing. Personally, I like being able to get to know and grow to like the main characters, not see them die left and right.

Anyway, when I found this thread and made my post I simply shared a few things that were right on top of my head. Honestly I have to think about the newer stuff, because it doesn't stick with me as much as the stuff from when I was young. I like the idea of having good suggests for stuff to try, so much of what i try of late is so so at best.

RedbeardAG
AG
quote:
Peace, Truce Man.

I agree forums are a place for discourse. I should not have taken your initial comment personally. Just the part that I perceived to imply that if I did not like A and did like B my it makes my opinion on everything invalid. That ticked me off.

I was excited to see a discussion about the first form of fiction that I got into. For most of the 35 years I have been reading it, starting with Lloyd Alexander back in grade school, it is not something I have found many like minds to share or get ideas from.

Heck I freely admit, I am out on some of the newer stuff that is so serious. Life is serious enough. Sometimes it is okay to have well (okay decently) written stuff with characters that are likeable and entertaining stories. For example, I really want to like the Game of Thrones stuff. I like the writing, but they are so freaking depressing. Personally, I like being able to get to know and grow to like the main characters, not see them die left and right.

Anyway, when I found this thread and made my post I simply shared a few things that were right on top of my head. Honestly I have to think about the newer stuff, because it doesn't stick with me as much as the stuff from when I was young. I like the idea of having good suggests for stuff to try, so much of what i try of late is so so at best.

Totally understandable. Most people prefer fiction to be an escape from reality. I enjoy Martin, Abercrombie and Erickson, but it's almost mandatory for me to mix in some Dresden or Discworld so I don't drive my car off a bridge.

PatAg
AG
Lloyd Alexander!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.