Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,486 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To add to the list of **** Rothfuss is doing instead of writing, they announced the Kickstarter for Tak on his blog today.
jbsj9698
AG
And it's already funded
Deputy Travis Junior
It has been over five years since Rothfuss released book 2 and we don't even have a release date for book 3. With the TV series eating up time, I'm guessing it'll be another 2-3 years before he gets book 3 out the door.
Dawale
Unfortunately now he will probably stop all writing on Doors of Stone and write a new novella called "Kvothe and Bredon: The Heretofore Unknown Tak Sessions".
Absolute
AG
Kind of tired of waiting on him...

If you like that type of story, you might check out A Crucible of Souls: Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence by Mitchell Hogan. First book was pretty good and showed some promise. Second was a bit of a letdown and was a bit weak. Third is out in September. Hoping it will pick back up.
Hudson2508
AG
Think I'm going to reread Name of the Wind next. Think I'll appreciate much more on the 2nd read.

Rothfuss' procrastination just makes me love Sanderson that much more. Every time I see Sanderson tweet progress on Stormlight 3 I realize how much he spoils his readers. Then I remember he is simultaneously writing like 3 other amazing series and I realize the man is a not human.
AgLiving06
quote:
It has been over five years since Rothfuss released book 2 and we don't even have a release date for book 3. With the TV series eating up time, I'm guessing it'll be another 2-3 years before he gets book 3 out the door.

I've said it before, but I think Rothfuss found himself in a position of not knowing how to finish the book and being afraid his 15 minutes of fame was/is winding down.

I think we all agree book 1 was better than book 2. If book 3 is a dud, how many people are going to continue to give him a chance or view him as highly as before?

I think he's realized and would rather milk the fame his got then to actually commit to writing something he thinks is going to ruin him.
Absolute
AG
quote:
quote:

I've said it before, but I think Rothfuss found himself in a position of not knowing how to finish the book and being afraid his 15 minutes of fame was/is winding down.

I think we all agree book 1 was better than book 2. If book 3 is a dud, how many people are going to continue to give him a chance or view him as highly as before?

I think he's realized and would rather milk the fame his got then to actually commit to writing something he thinks is going to ruin him.

I would tend to agree. Or he does not understand, as Sanderson obviously does, that he is effectively a vendor and his clients have expectations and that mutual satisfaction is important to continued success. Waiting this length of time for sequels is borderline ridiculous, they aren't that good. Is writing his profession or not?
AtlAg05
AG
Does he fancy himself as another G RR Martin?

Time has built excitement and discussion but both are well beyond when fans start getting vocal. At least Martin has the TV series to help fans cope.
M.C. Swag
AG
Personally, I don't mind at this point. I'd rather him take his time and develop an ending worthy of Book 1. Not to say I wouldn't want at least some updates every now and then, but I definitely do not want him to just publish a half assed story to get angry fans off his back. Rothfuss is a perfectionist and does come off as somewhat arrogant, but we've all seen what type of talent he has.

There's plenty of other stories to read until Book 3 comes out.
swimmerbabe11
I just think it is funny that he acts shocked and harassed when fans ask him when the book is coming out.

I *almost* don't want to get book 3 out of protest for his crap attitude.
schmendeler
AG
he really does act like the act of him writing his books is a favor he's doing everyone.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finished bands of mourning and I think that is the best of the series so far in the new mistborn era.

Working on calamity from the reckoners series.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Finished bands of mourning and I think that is the best of the series so far in the new mistborn era.

Brandon Sanderson wraps up a series better than anybody out there in my opinion. I finally finished the Mistborn trilogy and thought it was one of the best endings in fantasy fiction. I was very happy with the outcome of The Reckoners as well.

Also on the topic of Sanderson, Wayne is one of my favorite characters ever. He cracks me up
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

Brandon Sanderson wraps up a series better than anybody out there in my opinion. I finally finished the Mistborn trilogy and thought it was one of the best endings in fantasy fiction. I was very happy with the outcome of The Reckoners as well.

Also on the topic of Sanderson, Wayne is one of my favorite characters ever. He cracks me up
I'm nearing the end of Recokoners on audiobook and it is pretty gripping. Very enjoyable series.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
Reckoners series is a great/quick read.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:

Not sure about that. He's said all along that he had the entire story planned from the get go. I guess he could have planned an ending that he's now realized is crappy.

At least we've got a new Warcraft trailer, right??

(hey, it's fantasy!)
M.C. Swag
AG
lol terrible music. CGI looks a little spotty at times. Prolly still see it.
schmendeler
AG
what is the deal with a piercing in a tooth?
Boiling Denim
quote:
Yeah, that was me several times. Malazan and I have a complicated relationship. I'm on book 5 and still haven't figured out why people absolutely love it....but at the same time I keep picking up the next one. I'll go for a month+ not wanting to touch it, to pounding out a couple hundred pages without putting it down.
As someone who's finished the series and rates it at the top, and honestly it's not even close, it's all about how immersed you let yourself get into the world he's built. Races, locations, fighting styles, politics, cultures, blah blah blah the guy thought of everything. He's also as consistent and as much of a workhorse as Sanderson. I'd constantly find myself online, sometimes in the middle of chapters, refreshing my history lessons on the Malazan world to prevent getting lost. He not only doesn't hold your hand he throws you off the high dive into the deep end and I think a lot of people strangely appreciated that.

Just a few other series to throw out there while people wait on GRRM, Rothfuss, Lynch etc. prob in order of most liked:

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire)
Promise of Blood (Powder Mage)
Red Knight (Traitor Son)
Theft of Swords (Riyria)
Warded Man (Demon Cycle)
MW03
AG
I'm nearing the end of the Mistborn trilogy myself. Glad to hear I'm in for an solid finish.
titanmaster_race
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would tend to agree. Or he does not understand, as Sanderson obviously does, that he is effectively a vendor and his clients have expectations and that mutual satisfaction is important to continued success. Waiting this length of time for sequels is borderline ridiculous, they aren't that good. Is writing his profession or not?

His profession is either writing or being an insufferable, pompous a-hole on blogs and/or social media.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, that was me several times. Malazan and I have a complicated relationship. I'm on book 5 and still haven't figured out why people absolutely love it....but at the same time I keep picking up the next one. I'll go for a month+ not wanting to touch it, to pounding out a couple hundred pages without putting it down.
As someone who's finished the series and rates it at the top, and honestly it's not even close, it's all about how immersed you let yourself get into the world he's built. Races, locations, fighting styles, politics, cultures, blah blah blah the guy thought of everything. He's also as consistent and as much of a workhorse as Sanderson. I'd constantly find myself online, sometimes in the middle of chapters, refreshing my history lessons on the Malazan world to prevent getting lost. He not only doesn't hold your hand he throws you off the high dive into the deep end and I think a lot of people strangely appreciated that.

Just a few other series to throw out there while people wait on GRRM, Rothfuss, Lynch etc. prob in order of most liked:

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire)
Promise of Blood (Powder Mage)
Red Knight (Traitor Son)
Theft of Swords (Riyria)
Warded Man (Demon Cycle)

I went with Audible for Malazan and loved it. I fully intend to go back and read it
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I actually have no problem with the way Rotfhfuss comports himself as regards his writing timeline. He doesn't owe us a book; and I've seen a bunch of fans start hurling demands at Martin, Rothfuss, and even Butcher who is a writing machine, needing to know when their next book will be out. I think Rothfuss is dealing with a major case of writer's block; I think he tried to force the last book about Auri out; and we saw what came of it.
Boiling Denim
quote:
I actually have no problem with the way Rotfhfuss comports himself as regards his writing timeline. He doesn't owe us a book; and I've seen a bunch of fans start hurling demands at Martin, Rothfuss, and even Butcher who is a writing machine, needing to know when their next book will be out. I think Rothfuss is dealing with a major case of writer's block; I think he tried to force the last book about Auri out; and we saw what came of it.
I think most of the issues around GRRM and Rothfuss are them making promises they couldn't keep. A Feast for Crows last page, on the original publication, talked about how soon DwD would be out and that it was almost complete and really AFFC was just chapters from that book that needed to be pulled out due to publication size restrictions. Rothfuss pretty much sold Kingkiller Chronicle as an already completed trilogy. When you say things like that then waste literally years at conventions, editing side projects, selling water damaged calanders then people start to get a little pissed.
bangobango
AG
Yeah, the thing that kills me about Rothfuss is they actively marketed the first book as an already completed trilogy and that each subsequent book would be published within one year of the previous book. I still remember deciding to buy the first one based partly on that promise rather than wait a bit and get it when the trilogy was done.

It's not a big deal, I'm not one who feels like these authors owe me anything, but in Rothfuss's case it is more annoying than usual because of that promise in the beginning.
RedbeardAG
AG
I do feel like there is an implicit contract between an author and readers. If we commit time and money to read a series, sub 4 years is beyond reasonable expectations.
rich1232
AG
I have no problem with Martin or Rothfuss taking forever, I'd just prefer they shared more about their process. It seems like Martin gives an update once or twice a year and I don't know if Rothfuss has given a book 3 projection since the publishing of book 2. It's been 5 years for a book that was already 'written' and no one even knows if he's close to being done revising. He's already signed on for a second trilogy in the same world...over/under 2022 for the first book in that series?
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I just assume I will never get to read A Dream of Spring. I'm hoping the tv series ends well
bangobango
AG
quote:
I just assume I will never get to read A Dream of Spring. I'm hoping the tv series ends well

Oh we will readthe last book, it just may not be Martin who writes it. Too much money on the table for somebody not to finish it after he passes.
jenn96
AG
Martin has been extremely adamant that no one finishes it but him, and his wife has been quite vocal about agreeing with him. He has no children to get greedy and start pressuring about the money it will bring. Parris Martin will be left very comfortably off just based on what's already been published. I would personally be shocked if Martin's estate ever let another writer finish the story. just my own sense after following the guy's writings and interviews for the last 20 years.
KALALL
AG
I'm just planning on going to Cushing after G.R.R. Martin dies to dig around in his notes to get an idea of how everything ends.
AgLiving06
quote:
I'm nearing the end of the Mistborn trilogy myself. Glad to hear I'm in for an solid finish.

Sanderson is my favorite author in general right now, and I honestly think because of what he's been doing, he's at or near the top of Fantasy at the moment. I put the potential for Way of Kings up there with Game of Thrones at this point.

Book 1 and 2 are better than the two books Rothfuss put out as well.
maverick2076
Way of Kings will be remembered as a much greater epic than GoT when it's all said and done, IMO.
Hudson2508
AG
Even other great authors respect his ridiculous talents, this made me chuckle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.