Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,388 Views | 1253 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by The Dog Lord
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Of course you're right (until you're not). Rothfuss may never finish the story - but I do wish if he wasn't going to; he'd at least let someone else ghost write it with his input on the plot. I bet there are a handful of people out there (like Sanderson) who could do a good to great job of imitating his style.

I'll never understand someone who can leave a great work like this completely unfinished at 66%...
JJxvi
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I'll never understand someone who can leave a great work like this completely unfinished at 66%...
Obviously because to him, it never was that great, meaningful, or important
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Are the first two worth reading knowing that the series will likely never be finished?

Sanderson has spoiled me.
Prime0882
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Are the first two worth reading knowing that the series will likely never be finished?

The first one was good. The second one was a step down in quality building to something more that will likely never happen. I wouldn't recommend it.
Quad Dog
AG
I'd recommend just reading the first. But it will make you mad there isn't more to the story. The second will make you even more mad and ultimately disappointed.
c-jags
Prime0882 said:

Champ Bailey said:

The first one was good. The second one was a step down in quality building to something more that will likely never happen. I wouldn't recommend it.

i enjoyed the second book but man his time with Fae was brutal reading.

and curse somebody for posting to this thread, bringing it to the top, without an update to book 3.

and curse myself for following in their footsteps.
Claude!
Champ Bailey said:

I'll be the dissenting voice and say that I didn't really care for either book. The framing story is really interesting, but I spent most of the actual core story trying to find a likeable character, and failing to do so.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Claude! said:

Champ Bailey said:

I'll be the dissenting voice and say that I didn't really care for either book. The framing story is really interesting, but I spent most of the actual core story trying to find a likeable character, and failing to do so.
You're right about the characters...

Kvoeth is likeable sorta, but in an underdog with potential and a rooting for the kid to get out of his own way kind of likeable.

Denna or whatever her name is that is the love interest is absolutely BRUTAL... Rothfuss is obviously projecting with this writing - about some girl he was in love with as a teen that completely abused his sick obsession with her and his own internal turmoil and beta-male mindedness knowing she was doing this and still holding out hope things would work out. Move on bro, she's NOT worth it.
DallasTeleAg
I loved them both. Everyone who mentions the fae part taking so long must have only read the book once. I thought it took a while the first time, as well. My second read through, I was surprised at how short it seemed.
StinkyPinky
AG
I have my doubts as well that he'll actually release Doors of Stone. I think the build up is too big for his ego to fail. Sucks though. Also waiting for book 4 (The Thorn of Emberlain) of Lynch's Gentleman ******* series. Scott Lynch is up there with Rothfuss in my opinion as far as writing style. Also really liked the Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence, who is an exceptional writer. For those that have read these, have you also read Abercrombie's First Law series? This was recommended to me and I find the writing quality dreadful. Going from Lawrence to this has been hard to do. Going to stick with it but I really constantly question if it's worth it.
mpl35
AG
I read them all. I didn't really care for Abercrombie. I might give him another try since its been a long time...but I found the First Law series very meh.
StinkyPinky
AG
Yea, it's pretty painful, especially when there are other books I want to get to. I hear his stand alone book related to the series Better Served Cold (?) is good, but I can't see how. His prose is lame at best.
mpl35
AG
Yes. I hated his style. Overall I just found them mediocre at best. I have the Best served Cold novel and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
PatAg
AG
I think it's just more likely that he had a great idea for the first book, the 2nd book was pretty good still, and he just doesn't know how to tell the third story.
I'd rather get no 3rd book than a crappy 3rd book, I think.

If only he would just shut up
dc509
AG
mpl35 said:

Yes. I hated his style. Overall I just found them mediocre at best. I have the Best served Cold novel and haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
I liked the trilogy, but if you didn't it's unlikely that you will like the stand alone novels. I'm a fan, and I think they're a step down from the main books.
maverick2076
SpreadsheetAg said:

Of course you're right (until you're not). Rothfuss may never finish the story - but I do wish if he wasn't going to; he'd at least let someone else ghost write it with his input on the plot. I bet there are a handful of people out there (like Sanderson) who could do a good to great job of imitating his style.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that Rothfuss is a ****ing liar. When he released the first book, he stated over and over that all 3 books were already written and would be released at 12 month intervals. Clearly not the truth.
maverick2076
Scott Lynch is awesome. He has also been very open with his readers about his mental health struggles and how the have affected his writing.
DallasTeleAg
Been waiting on Thorn of Emberlain. The Republic of Thieves was by far the best of the series, so far.
heddleston
AG
I think I've progressively liked the Lynch's books less, but that's not because I think any of them are bad. The first one was freaking amazing and the second one was stupid fun. The third was a great read but just didn't do as much for me comparably.
Lola68
Similar vein, I really enjoyed Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series. Well written fantasy series that's a little different than most of the genre.
mpl35
AG
I liked 1>3>2 for Lynch. But the first was very good
StinkyPinky
AG
Lola68 said:

Similar vein, I really enjoyed Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow series. Well written fantasy series that's a little different than most of the genre.

Thanks for the suggestion. Trying to decide what I want to read next
DallasTeleAg
Tower Lord is mediocre, and Queen of Fire is absolute trash. Blood Song is fantastic, though.
mpl35
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Tower Lord is mediocre, and Queen of Fire is absolute trash. Blood Song is fantastic, though.
Trash? come on. not as good. sub par. wouldn't read the series if this was Book 1....

Sure.

Trash. I have some "recs" for you!
StinkyPinky
AG
I've made the decision I'm going to fight through The Blade Itself. Just see it so much as one of the highest Grimdark books. I'm 20% of the way through so will see if it surprises me.
TyHolden
AG
**** i'm sorry i did this
Pepper Brooks
AG
I mean… it's pretty damn bad…

My worst critique is "couldn't make it to the end".
"Trash but finished" seems about right,
DallasTeleAg
Oh no... i'm sticking with "trash". Only reason I finished it was because I am compulsive and have to finish a series when I start it. I can't point to a worst book I have actually finished, in my life.
Lola68
Have you read the new one? Blood Song was easily the best of the series. "Trash" is a little strong.
StinkyPinky
AG
mpl35 said:

I liked 1>3>2 for Lynch. But the first was very good

This! Red Seas Under Red Skies was the least interesting. Thankfully it picked up at the end to help make the transition to Republic of Thieves positive. Republic of Thieves was fairly strong, but nothing can match the first book.
StinkyPinky
AG
maverick2076 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that Rothfuss is a ****ing liar. When he released the first book, he stated over and over that all 3 books were already written and would be released at 12 month intervals. Clearly not the truth.

Yea, I think credibility has been lost with him. I've been thinking his inability to get this done is his fear of failure after it's risen to the heights it has in pop culture and the expectations for it. But now I'm wondering if he is so financially comfortable from the success of the first two that he has no motivation to work. I mean, what else has he really done? I agree with someone else's comment that I'd rather it be left unfinished rather than finished with half azzed garbage.
PatAg
AG
A good author would be compelled to put the story to paper, regardless of financial situation
StinkyPinky
AG
PatAg said:

A good author would be compelled to put the story to paper, regardless of financial situation

I would agree with that and hope it's the case. But there are always the exceptions.
maverick2076
Bonzer103 said:

PatAg said:

I would agree with that and hope it's the case. But there are always the exceptions.

Remember, Rothfuss couldn't write for the entire Trump presidency because he was too upset. (His words)
StinkyPinky
AG
So, not even going to pose it as a question since I've already made my decision (which is yes), but I was trying to determine (embarrassed to admit this) if I wanted to go back and read A Song of Ice and Fire after watching Game Of Thrones. Is it significantly better such that I should read those next, or wait until I've read others on my list that interest me (and yes, I understand they are arguable the Creme De La Creme of fantasy), but relative to the show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.