Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

145,472 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by The Dog Lord
mid90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No way

Else we would have had several hundred page long explicit nudie romp sections.
swimmerbabe11
After this book is finally finished, I would love a Bast book
Civen
AG
quote:
After this book is finally finished, I would love a Bast book
You're in luck!

Oh you meant a real book? No the popular thing for writers to do now is waste time on dumbass short stories. Because the readers never express disappointment that it takes 3..4..5..6.. years to crank out the next real novel in a series.

I might be bitter.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah because a sci-fi fantasy writer writing short stories is something new.
Civen
AG
Short stories aren't new. 5-10 book length sagas are though. Clarke wrote a ton of short stories and they were good. But they didn't detract from Space Odyssey, which were all basically self contained novels sharing a universe.

When you start posing questions in book 1 that don't get answered until book 7, it changes things.
maverick2076
quote:
I am now caught up on Raven's Shadow, Kingkiller Chronicle, Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, Codex Alera, and Dresden Files...

I need something to bite into now. I may have to start rereading some things. I devoured Words of radiance in 6 days.

I want a very entertaining first person POV fantasy. Thinking about trying out book 2 and 3 of Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar series as the first one was okay...
Either Terry Mancour's Spellmonger books or Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle.
Madmarttigan
AG
I hate the king killer books, im reading them for a second time and they still keep me up at night fully engaged
Clavell
AG
Short stories in the middle of a long epic series is fine, but don't charge same for the short story.
bearamedic99
AG
Ok, who dropped the ball and failed to notify the rest of us that MTV is making a series called Shannara based on the Shannara books by Terry Brooks? I have not read these books in a very long time but do not remember them being that great or adult enough to make a competitor to GoT. Any experts care to weigh in?
bearamedic99
AG
one story on the upcoming show and cast
Madmarttigan
AG
I actually have never read Brooks even though I see them taking up space all the time at the bookstore. Honestly don't know if I'm missing something good or not.
Al Bula
AG
I picked up the first of the Shannara books either right before or right after I read Lord of The Rings, probably in 1991 or 1992. I remember being unimpressed and never reading them. It was very unimaginative and boring. MTV is grasping for straws.
Dawale
quote:
I am now caught up on Raven's Shadow, Kingkiller Chronicle, Stormlight Archive, Mistborn, Codex Alera, and Dresden Files...

I need something to bite into now. I may have to start rereading some things. I devoured Words of radiance in 6 days.

I want a very entertaining first person POV fantasy. Thinking about trying out book 2 and 3 of Tad Williams' Bobby Dollar series as the first one was okay...
Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia
Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
JJxvi
AG
I started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series (currently on Book 3) and it is excellent if you're able wade into the muck and be patient with the fact that you wont get a nice neat clear picture of the world, or the politics or the tons and tons of characters right away. Also not one for someone who needs black and white, good and evil clearly delineated among the characters.
MW03
AG
I'm losing interest in reading the next book, honestly. I loved the 1st two, but at this point I've lost a lot of the excitement I once held for Doors of Stone. I can understand certainly wanting to get your story just right and doing service to your fans, your characters, and your universe.

But sometimes you wait too long and it ends up like Dumb and Dumber To.
Hudson2508
AG
I understand your frustration but how could you lose interest if you loved the first two?

At least Rothfuss isn't as bad as GRRM. Thank God for writers like Brandon Sanderson who put out excellent work at a prolific rate.
MW03
AG
Yeah, in going to read it.
jlb2957
AG
Going through the Dresden Files again on audio book but will be hitting these up after.

I generally have to read the kingkiller chronicle twice a year.
swimmerbabe11
Whats the latest ETA on it?
tremble
AG
Anthony Ryan's conclusion to the Raven's Shadow trilogy is set to release on July 15, 2015.

My resolution for this year was to get back into reading more heavily.

I'm still struggling to wade through the Malazan series. It starts off so strong but gets so incredibly dense by the 5th book.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Anthony Ryan's conclusion to the Raven's Shadow trilogy is set to release on July 15, 2015.

My resolution for this year was to get back into reading more heavily.

I'm still struggling to wade through the Malazan series. It starts off so strong but gets so incredibly dense by the 5th book.
Great to hear.

I remember he responded to my email about a year ago telling me the third book was in editing. And this was right before the release of Tower Lord.

Blood song is another one of those books I can blaze through anytime. Such a fun, freaking book.
Madmarttigan
AG
bumping this thread because i finished dresden files and am perusing my next commitment

Deciding between Wheel of time, Erikson's Malazan, or rereading Ryan's first 2 books before the 3rd comes out.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just finished the first 3 in Sanderson's Mistborn...

Is Alloy of Law any good, or should I wait until all three are out and read them back to back?

I am about to start book 8 of the Saxon Stories by Cornwell ... "The Empty Throne". Pretty excited to catch up I on what. Uhtred Uhtredson of Bebbanburg is up to
Ornithopter
AG
Every time someone posts in this thread I build up hope that the third book has a release date,
mid90
AG
quote:
Every time someone posts in this thread I build up hope that the third book has a release date,
me too......damn
bearamedic99
AG
Spreadsheet, I recently read Alloy of Law for the first time. It takes place centuries or more after the first trilogy. The same magic system is in place but the book takes place in a mix of Old West and Industrial Age big city. It felt totally different but decent.
Madmarttigan
AG
Reading alloy of law right now.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Could not get into Malazan book of the Fallen, am in the really crappy scenario where I'm waiting on Sanderson to finish Stormlight archives, GRRM to finish his book, Ryan to finish his tower lord series, butcher to write the next Dresden, and Rothfuss to finish king killer. Trying to slog through WoT right now, and am 7 books in, I hear there is no respite from the doldrums until you get to Sanderson' last three of the series
Aggie_Outlaw
AG
quote:
Great thread! I've enjoyed the various opinions.
I'm new to the fantasy genre. Growing up I read The Lord of the rings stuff and was never impressed. However, in 2006 I randomly picked up GoTs and was hooked. My problem is I've struggled finding anything close.
I read half way thru WoT book 1 and absolutely hated it. Same with Mistborn. I'm half way thru the king killer book 2 and it's better. Though still not close.
So, I'm looking for recommendations. I think for me it has to be very light on the fantasy and must be geared towards adults.
I'm going to finish out wise man's fear as I haven't disliked it. Then I'm leaning towards blood song based on what I've read on here. TIA for any advice!

Oh and I listen on my commute so I need books with an audio format. I was going to try the Wool series but it doesn't have an audiobook version.

Bump. Thanks for all the advice last year. I'm now up to date on Stormlight, Kingkiller, ASOIAF, raven's shadow, and I read the Dark Tower series. All great!
So now I'm trying to decide on Mistborn, Dresden, or Joe Abercrombie. Thoughts?
Hudson2508
AG
Tough choice but I'd probably give Abercrombie a go. Love his characters. Dresden and Mistborn are both awesome though.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm new to the fantasy genre. Growing up I read The Lord of the rings stuff and was never impressed. However, in 2006 I randomly picked up GoTs and was hooked. My problem is I've struggled finding anything close.
I read half way thru WoT book 1 and absolutely hated it. Same with Mistborn. I'm half way thru the king killer book 2 and it's better. Though still not close.
So, I'm looking for recommendations. I think for me it has to be very light on the fantasy and must be geared towards adults.
I'm going to finish out wise man's fear as I haven't disliked it. Then I'm leaning towards blood song based on what I've read on here. TIA for any advice!

Oh and I listen on my commute so I need books with an audio format. I was going to try the Wool series but it doesn't have an audiobook version.

Bump. Thanks for all the advice last year. I'm now up to date on Stormlight, Kingkiller, ASOIAF, raven's shadow, and I read the Dark Tower series. All great!

Dresden is the best, but I would knock out mistborn, then all the dresdens, then Abercrombie. Mistborn is on par with Stormlight and King killer in my book, and is in the top five book series ever, dresden occupies the #1 spot.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
quote:

If you want some badass stories about a central "flawed" character with very little fantasy; read the Saxon Stories by Cornwell - I am hooked on Uhtred. They are all available in Audiobook. I will say the first 2-3 books are read by a different guy than the last 4-5 have been and the change is a bit off (they are both British but with different accents), but the stories make up for it, and your ear gets attuned.

Also, a bit confusing is that the author switches from the Norsk/Old English pronunciations of towns and names to the more modern versions halfway through the series (maybe they started inheriting the newer names during this time period), but that's okay since its Historical Fiction.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
HELL YES (though I remain skeptical until I see something, but from the producers of Downton Abby)

https://vikingmoviesinfo.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/bbc-to-film-the-last-kingdom/
hugtrees82
AG
Has anyone read The Slow Regard of Silent Things? I think Auri is an interesting character, but she isn't in my top five list. I'm thinking of getting it just to tide me over until the third book, should it ever be published.

Also, I've been reading some older fantasy and just finished the first Earthsea book by Ursula K. Le Guin (1964). I know a lot of new fantasy is inspired by older works in the genre, but it's really striking how much is the same. A young boy with few friends goes to school to learn magic with teachers who are "Masters." The magic is about learning the true names of things. Not saying that Rothfuss copied the story (lots of stories focus on the power of true names). Anyway, an interesting read for anyone looking for some throwback fantasy novels.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I think the KingKiller series, while insanely awesome, do pull a little more than they should from other high fantasy novels.

I know that when I read about the Edema Ruh, I was struck with how they were very nearly an exact copy of the Tinkers from the Wheel of Time. I'm also not claiming Jim Butcher has ownership of the entire concept of the Fae, but there do seem to be lots of similarities between the two books as well.

I haven't heard good things about the Slow Regard of Silent Things, apparently Rothfuss said he just felt compelled to do the book, like he had a calling and it was a story he had to put out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.