Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

149,616 Views | 1247 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Al Bula
bendover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oh, and Sanderson's next Stormlight Archive comes out in March 4 - http://www.amazon.com/Words-Radiance-Stormlight-Archive-Book/dp/0765326361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392706352&sr=8-1&keywords=brandon+sanderson
Deputy Travis Junior
Looks like Kingkiller book 3 is still at least a year and a half away, probably more:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2014/kingkiller-book-3-still-in-limbo-but-lots-to-look-forward-to
KidDoc
AG
I'm a bit surprised Joe Abercrombie hasn't been mentioned yet. A bit darker & more gritty but still fantastic "low fantasy" type books.

Starts with
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Roll the Bones
AG
I'll second the Joe Abercrombie books. I have loved them all.
bendover
Abercrombie is mentioned first post of the second page. Pretty good, although he wears on me after awhile. Some seriously laugh out loud moments in his books, though. The Bloody Nine is greatness.
jlb2957
AG
Rothfuss is the slowest ****ing writer... FINISH THE DAMN BOOK!!!
bendover
quote:

Funny thing is, he pitched the first book (and they subsequently marketed it on) the promise that he had already written all three books and they would each come out within one year of each other.
maverick2076
quote:

LOL. Someone's never heard of George RR Martin.

For another series worth checking out, Try Terry Mancour's Spellmonger series. They have a wry sense of humor, and interesting magic system, and some great political interplay...along with sex, blood, and goblin warfare.
jbsj9698
AG
quote:
I just read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan and was very impressed. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoyed the Kingkiller series.

I agree completely. Probably the best book I read last year.
jlb2957
AG
I'm reading a lot of great things about blood song.

I may need to put aside Wizard's First Rule and read it.
PatAg
AG
I'm psyched for The Stormlight Book.
agmatt06
AG
Random question and maybe the answer is kind of obvious but...

In the WOT and at least in Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, there seems to be an overwhelming "female is stronger than male" mentality...

It does appear to be a bit more balanced in Stormlight though.

Is this common with this kind of genre? I'm newer to this field, and just curious if that is the normal expectation?
bendover
Uh, in both books the males are stronger, so I'm not sure where you are coming from.

Did you actually finish the WOT books, because I could maybe understand what you are saying if you'd only read the first one or two.
agmatt06
AG
In Mistborn, Vin was the strongest person and the eventual "Savior" if you will.

Only on book 4 of WOT. But even in that...most of the societies are woman dominated. Men can't control the power without going mad and the Aes Sedai are the "strongest."

If it changes later on that's cool...it was just an observation I had as I've read some of Brandon Sanderson and now the start of WOT.
bendover
Been awhile since I read Mistborn, but I thought in terms of actual strength
***********spoiler********************

her boyfriend/husband ends up being a lot stronger once he acquires powers.
bendover
And WOT, there is an explanation for why women are in control, they are definitely not "stronger," though.

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just leave it at that.
agmatt06
AG
Maybe strong is the right word because I'm not talking in the "physical" sense per se.

Vin was the natural strongest person and carried the book. The husbNd acquired the skills but it was never natural. Same for WOT so far at least. Maybe that changes by the end. I was actually curious if Sanderson did the mistborn trilogy as a tribute to Jordan.
bendover
Well, there is no doubt Sanderson was influenced by Jordan, as were many of the more recent fantasy authors. In case you don't know, Sanderson ends up finishing the WOT series after Jordan's death and he does a pretty good job.

As far as the women being "stronger," keep reading and see if your impression changes. It is hard to discuss this with you at this point because I don't want to spoil anything for you.
Madmarttigan
AG
if he keeps reading then he will only confirm the women are stronger concept if you are refering to the 3rd book of mistborn lol
bendover
In referring to WOT.
jlb2957
AG
Half-way through blood song.

As someone whose favorite series is probably the kingkiller chronicles, Blood Song is hard to put down.

I find myself in that constant game of "just 30 more minutes" every night. I'm just over half way through the book and really enjoying this read.
jlb2957
AG
Having just finished Blood Song, I have to agree it is a must read for anyone who enjoyed the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Too bad it was an independent release... it could definitely use some editing; but it was still great without it.

I can't wait for the next installment in this book.
jbsj9698
AG
Comes out July 1, 2014!

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Lord-Ravens-Shadow-Novel-ebook/dp/B00G3L6ML6/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KHEBM7Z58K87T028WD3

[This message has been edited by jbsj9698 (edited 2/28/2014 9:16a).]
jlb2957
AG
I sent an email to Anthony Ryan after finishing telling him how much I enjoyed the book and hoping the next books don't take too long. Sent an email back saying book 3 was already with his editor
jbsj9698
jlb2957
AG
His exact words were:

quote:
Thanks for the kind words John, and don't worry, book 3 is already with my editor.
Kind regards,
Anthony

Cool how he responded to my e-mail within a day.
LawAg05
AG
Read blood song based on this thread and enjoyed it. Will definitely read the sequels
MaroonStain
AG
Bookmark post
AgDC
Just starting Mistborn this weekend based mainly on recs from Texagers.
maverick2076
Words of Radiance, the 2nd book in Sanderson's Stormlight Archives, comes out tomorrow.
PatAg
AG
Downloaded, will be reading over the next few days.
agmatt06
AG
Just hit my Kindle app!

Will be picking up the pace of my grind through WOT book 5. Want to be done with that so I can start reading this. The end of the first book was so incredible that I'm really pumped for this book.
c-jags
i am seriously disappointed that this thread resurfaced without a release date on the third book.
bearamedic99
AG
From Brandon Sanderson on FB:
quote:
"Storybundle has an Epic Fantasy Bundle for the next 3 weeks. As long as you're not in the UK or a Commonwealth country, my Hugo Award-winning novella The Emperor's Soul is included if you decide to pay more than $12. It's one of those "name your price" bundles of DRM-free books, and the authors are Neil Gaiman, Tracy Hickman, David Farland, Kevin J. Anderson, Peter David, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, James A. Owen, and Peter J. Wacks & Mark Ryan.

My UK publisher has UK/Commonwealth rights for The Emperor's Soul, so we couldn't let Storybundle include it in the bundle for people in those countries. Sorry! Canadians can get it though."

http://storybundle.com/
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Just finished Bernard Cromwell's 5th Book in the Saxon Stories (Historical Fiction)... F-ing GREAT books. Especially sine I am "reading" them on audiobooks and the narrator is great at all the pronunciations, etc.

Definitely rec this series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.