Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

149,130 Views | 1241 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Maveric
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It should be a bannable offense to post on this thread and it NOT be about book 3 of KKC.

Every time one of you a-holes get my hopes up.
ramblin_ag02
AG
I thought everyone knew Rothfuss isn't even going to start writing the next book until a Democrat was back in the Presidency. He's like the opposite of a Supreme Court judge that won't retire until their party is back in office.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jtstanley4621
AG
c-jags said:

It should be a bannable offense to post on this thread and it NOT be about book 3 of KKC.

If you think this is bad, check out the subreddit for the series. Endless theory posts. Rothfuss has left us to toil without a book.
swimmerbabe11
Honey, it has been four years now. Give it up. You can't keep holding on.

The rest of us did back on page 12. Join us in our bitterness. You'll feel better.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
This is neat & neutral:

Quote:

The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra performing a piece called "Arliden & Laurian" by Nicolas de Ferran, inspired by The Kingkiller Chronicle.
c-jags
swimmerbabe11 said:

Honey, it has been four years now. Give it up. You can't keep holding on.

The rest of us did back on page 12. Join us in our bitterness. You'll feel better.

i'm not a super frequenter of Entertainment board. i've kind of left the fantasy genre behind, so any news about GoT or KKC gets me hot and bothered because they're the only ones i read.
schmendeler
AG
shaynew1 said:

schmendeler said:

"good, because it's the worst one and they only get better from there."

IIMG fail..

I feel like I should know what this means, but I'm at a loss.
M.C. Swag
AG
c-jags said:

I guarantee IF there's tangible or substantial news regarding KKC, TexAgs won't be the first place you hear about it and the number of responses will be more than a handful.
Counterpoint
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

This is neat & neutral:

Quote:

The Prague Philharmonic Orchestra performing a piece called "Arliden & Laurian" by Nicolas de Ferran, inspired by The Kingkiller Chronicle.

Neutral? That sounded too liberal for me.
Madmarttigan
AG
c-jags said:

Dude we've been posting alternate recommendations for years lol. No one clicks on this expecting news from Rothfuss anymore, just new books to read.

And if a release date comes out I think I made the suggestion that a new thread is started.
Absolute
AG
tv1113 said:

c-jags said:

Dude we've been posting alternate recommendations for years lol. No one clicks on this expecting news from Rothfuss anymore, just new books to read.

And if a release date comes out I think I made the suggestion that a new thread is started.

Yup. Personally, I am bummed when I click on it and it is something about Roth fussy , since that just mean complaining. I come here for ideas of other stuff to read at this point.
jenn96
AG
I'm another one who loves this thread because it's such a great source of recommendations. It's obvious Rothfuss is nowhere near finishing the series - annoying but it is what it is. I click on new replies to see what people are reading.

Although I do like poking fun of the guy, it's hard not to when he's made himself so ridiculously overwrought. I have a feeling that the shocking news last week that Trump gets an extra scoop of ice cream at dinner may have driven Rothfuss beyond ability to cope with the simplest of tasks.
MW03
AG
Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'Kingkiller Chronicle' Series Lands at Showtime

Quote:

The TV series is an origin story that is set a generation before the events of the trilogy's first novel, The Name of the Wind.

jbsj9698
AG
So this isn't an adaptation of the books...okay
rononeill
Dammit! Got me again.
Greeze06
AG
Damn.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
It gets me every time
MW03
AG
At least it's not going to get into GRRM territory of covering "Doors of Stone" before it comes out.
caleblyn
Dang...Reminds me of waiting for Book 4 of Dark Tower.

When this book finally comes out, I will need to reread the last. Been too long!
AtlAg05
AG
At least on the second read through I can skip the 100 page frolicking with the forest nymph.
jbsj9698
AG
Quote:

The TV series is an origin story that is set a generation before the events of the trilogy's first novel, The Name of the Wind.
Is anyone interested in this? Maybe it's me but I don't recall being blown away by Rothfuss' world building. I'm not saying it was bad or anything, but I don't recall it being special in any way. (Of course, it may be because I've forgotten everything as it's been so long since I read the books...) Rather, it was the story of Kvothe that grabbed me, and if he is not going to be in this series I'm just not all that interested.

I think my cynicism is because I'm tired of Rothfuss' antics. I really just want to read the last book of the Kvothe trilogy (assuming it is ever finished) and move on.
JJxvi
AG
How dare you! Not impressed with Rothfuss's world building? Theres like...a school! And a couple cities! Umm some god like guys we dont know anything about...what else? Sex crazed fairies!

How can POSSIBLY question the world building of a genius who even named his charity "Worldbuilders"
jbsj9698
c-jags
dammit.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/patrick-rothfuss-fantasy-next-superstar.html

Quote:

As for the unavoidable question of when, if ever, the third book will come out, that too remains unanswerable. Rothfuss, of course, is far from the first scribe of an epic fantasy series to take longer than fans would like to finish. When I asked him if there was something about the genre itself that made the story difficult to conclude, Rothfuss shook his head. "It's me. It's my process. It's my life." "He is very hard on himself," Bialer told me later. "He is always deconstructing and putting his books back together."

Quote:

The best advice he ever received, Rothfuss says, was from the writer who ran the workshop he attended after he won that first short-story contest: "It's late once, but it's bad forever."
shaynew1
AG
I'm so off of ol pat now that I love these fail bumps
NoHo Hank
AG
He is so conceited. He has no issue taking his fans' money, but guess what? When you get a little bit of Fame oh, you get a little bit of Fame. Then when you promise your fans one thing and utterly fail to deliver on it, they're going to be understandably and justifiably frustrated. Can't feel too sorry for the guy when the same fans that made him a millionaire want him to continue to do his job rather than complain on Twitter about doing his job.

PS this post could have been written in January 2014... 4 years ago.
maverick2076
In the vein of fantasy books that are amazing and actually being written, Sanderson released Oathbringer, the third book in The Stormlight Archive, a couple of weeks ago. It was phenomenal.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maverick2076 said:

In the vein of fantasy books that are amazing and actually being written, Sanderson released Oathbringer, the third book in The Stormlight Archive, a couple of weeks ago. It was phenomenal.
Sanderson is awesome
M.C. Swag
AG
Anyone else order the 10th Anniversary Edition of The Name of the Wind?

I just got mine the other day and it's pretty cool. I already owned the first hardback edition but I had to get this one. It's probably my favorite book of all time.
Rocag
AG
Looks cool. I'd get it if I had any hope that the series would ever be finished.
schmendeler
AG
I'm glad I never read book two. At this point I've pretty much forgotten what happened in the first one. I remember a music playing contest or something and it being like an adult Hogwarts.

If the third book ever comes out I'll just start fresh.
maverick2076
Not interested. At this point, buying a Rothfuss reprint feels like I would be paying him not to write. He needs to stop being such a whiny little ***** and finish his book, or just admit that he never will.
M.C. Swag
AG
I hear ya. I don't blame anyone who feels that way, but THAT particular book was such a rare joy for me. It fell into my lap completely unexpectedly and I loved every page. I will probably re-read that book numerous times throughout my life and I can't help be feel some sort of grateful to Rothfuss for writing that....even if he never writes another book.
maverick2076
I loved that book too. I've reread it many times. I would probably be OK with waiting if:

A. Rothfuss hadn't marketed that book on the strength that the rest of the trilogy was already written. That was clearly a lie.

B. I hadn't read his blog. He is such a self-absorbed, whiny little beta ***** that it has soured me on anything he does. He has literally stated that he can't write because Trump won the election and he is too emotionally distraught. What a *****.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.