Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

148,649 Views | 1235 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by The Dog Lord
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AtlAg05 said:

mpl35 said:

Dawale said:

Just take a look at his Twitter feed or his blog today and you'll see why book 3 will never be finished.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/04/activism-mailing-list-the-upcoming-elections/

https://twitter.com/PatrickRothfuss
Just freaking ridiculous. He does everything he can to avoid actually writing book 3.

He can't screw it up if he doesn't write it!

Maybe he's hoping someone can finish it after he dies.
At this point that's what I am hoping for...
jtstanley4621
AG
Has anyone read the powder mage trilogy? I started reading it a couple nights ago and it's been fun so far.
schmendeler
AG
i just read the first of the dresden files. i liked it. much more "easy" reading than the usual fantasy. stuff. i like that after reading it i didn't feel like i immediately had to read the next one because of some grand story arc that i needed resolution on.
bearamedic99
AG
schmendeler said:

i just read the first of the dresden files. i liked it. much more "easy" reading than the usual fantasy. stuff. i like that after reading it i didn't feel like i immediately had to read the next one because of some grand story arc that i needed resolution on.
The first few books are lighter then move into a greater arc. I envy your first experience. Enjoy and welcome
schmendeler
AG
good to know. i'll definitely be reading the rest at some point. going to try to get through some of my backlog, first, however.
MW03
AG
I agree. I love the Dresden books, but the really take off about book 3-4 and don't let up. Great series.
bearamedic99
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Has anyone read the powder mage trilogy? I started reading it a couple nights ago and it's been fun so far.
definitely enjoyable
Dawale
FYI, we're approaching 3 years since the last Dresden Files book with no release date in sight.
bangobango
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Even before the political stuff he was still a bit of a ***** to fans.

But now it truly has become something that he's going out of his way to avoid doing. I thought I read a while back that he claimed when he published the first book that he had all three books already written out.
I've mentioned that on this thread, I believe. I bought Name of the Wind when it was first released in hardback. Part of the promotional materials for the book was that all three books were already written and that they would be released in one year intervals. I think there may have even been an editor's note or a forward that stated this.

Most blatant bit of lying I have ever seen from a publishing company and an author.
bangobango
AG
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2007/03/patrick-rothfuss-interview.html

Quote:

Well.... I've already written them. So you won't have to wait forever for them to come out. They'll be released on a regular schedule. One per year.

You can also expect the second book to be written with the same degree of care and detail as this first one. You know the sophomore slump? When a writer's second novel is weaker because they're suddenly forced to write under deadline? I don't have to worry about that because my next two novels are already good to go.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
bangobango said:

Quote:

Well.... I've already written them. So you won't have to wait forever for them to come out. They'll be released on a regular schedule. One per year.

You can also expect the second book to be written with the same degree of care and detail as this first one. You know the sophomore slump? When a writer's second novel is weaker because they're suddenly forced to write under deadline? I don't have to worry about that because my next two novels are already good to go.

Throne of Lies would be a good name for the 3rd book

schmendeler
AG
bangobango said:

Quote:

Madmarttigan
AG
MW03 said:

I agree. I love the Dresden books, but the really take off about book 3-4 and don't let up. Great series.

jenn96
AG
Quote:

Has he ever explained this? I know Martin was in a similar situation when AFFC came out and he assured everyone that the next book was already written, but he did explain eventually how how struggled to realign the plot and how losing the 5 year gap altered the series he had in his mind. Still ridiculous that it took so long but he at least had an explanation.

Just wondering if Rothfuss has ever explained how 3 books already written turned into no book 3. Maybe his dog ate it?
jtstanley4621
AG
From what I've been able to surmise he basically either never talks about the book, or snaps at people that ask him about it. It's wearing very thin
rich1232
AG
From what I've read, the series was done when the first book was published. He and his editor then went to work on editing and revising the second book and some of the changes ended up being pretty substantial, hence the delay in publication of book two.

With all of the changes to book 2 he now has to deal with the huge butterfly effect on book 3 and it seems like he can't quite pull the trigger on scrapping it and starting from scratch. Instead, I've gotten the vibe that he's trying tweak everything in the remaining framework that is book 3 and is stuck adding, subtracting, and rearranging everything so it aligns with the current books and holding to the promise he made to the readers on the original back cover. He's fighting the never ending battle of fixing plot point H, adding I, adjusting R and realizing that A and B no longer make C relevant.

He needs to scrap everything, start completely over, and tell the fans to check back in around 2020.
bangobango
AG
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2009/02/concerning-release-of-book-two/
bedofbrass33
AG
bangobango said:

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2009/02/concerning-release-of-book-two/

Wow, read a 1/4 if that. Rothfuss is a huge egomaniac for only having written two above average fantasy novels. Between this and his rabid political beliefs, I'm out. He won't be getting my money.

Madmarttigan
AG
I don't come to the entertainment board to care about such things as politics so as long as it is a decent book he will still get my money.

Already on boom 4 of Dresden files on my reread, those first few really fly by.
PatAg
AG
tv1113 said:

I don't come to the entertainment board to care about such things as politics so as long as it is a decent book he will still get my money.

Already on boom 4 of Dresden files on my reread, those first few really fly by.
Yea, I don't really give a ******* about what dumb opinions he holds on politics, or if they are even dumb.

Write your book
jenn96
AG
Agree completely. I imagine that 99% of the writers and artists whose work I love have politics that I seriously disagree with. Don't care at all. But once a writer claims they are so bewildered and betrayed by politics that they cannot do their jobs at all, then I'll hold that against them. Act like a damn grown-up instead of a teenager that refuses to clean their room because mom and dad are so unfair. Lots of people don't like what they see on the news every day but they go to work and uphold their responsibilities.
jtstanley4621
AG
It's notable that Rothfuss was an undergrad in college for well over like 6 years haha. I guess we shouldn't be super surprised that things take him forever
schmendeler
AG
jenn96 said:

Agree completely. I imagine that 99% of the writers and artists whose work I love have politics that I seriously disagree with. Don't care at all. But once a writer claims they are so bewildered and betrayed by politics that they cannot do their jobs at all, then I'll hold that against them. Act like a damn grown-up instead of a teenager that refuses to clean their room because mom and dad are so unfair. Lots of people don't like what they see on the news every day but they go to work and uphold their responsibilities.

Yep
titanmaster_race
and he still won't commit and marry his longtime live-in girlfriend, with whom he has made a spawn
bearamedic99
AG
I'm reading the Red Rising series. Not bad but reminds me too much of the Hunger Games (though I only read the first of those)
Absolute
AG
bearamedic99 said:

I'm reading the Red Rising series. Not bad but reminds me too much of the Hunger Games (though I only read the first of those)
First book did a bit for me too. Moves away from it after that.
Madmarttigan
AG
Really feels like a blend between braveheart/gattaca/enders game to me (although he isn't the smartest person in the books he still comes up with interesting plans)

I think its just one small portion at the institute that reflects Hunger games, but even then I don't think it is quite the same concept.
KidDoc
AG
Had anyone else seen GOTG2 and those golden people made you think of aurites?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jbsj9698
AG
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/848185-george-r-r-martin-talks-game-of-thrones-spin-offs-confirms-theyre-prequels#eGhypzBq21PjZK2U.99

Quote:

But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don't want to repeat what happened with GAME OF THRONES itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I've finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we'll do a tv show about them but that day is still a long ways off.'

Quote:

Martin went on to confirm that yes, he is still working on the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.

Hope no one was holding out for a Dunk & Egg HBO series...
nikator
AG
jbsj9698 said:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/848185-george-r-r-martin-talks-game-of-thrones-spin-offs-confirms-theyre-prequels#eGhypzBq21PjZK2U.99

Quote:

But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write. We all know how slow I am, and how fast a television show can move. I don't want to repeat what happened with GAME OF THRONES itself, where the show gets ahead of the books. When the day comes that I've finished telling all my tales of Dunk & Egg, then we'll do a tv show about them but that day is still a long ways off.'

Quote:

Martin went on to confirm that yes, he is still working on the next book in the series, The Winds of Winter.

Hope no one was holding out for a Dunk & Egg HBO series...
No Robert's Rebellion either
JJxvi
AG
schmendeler
AG
at the comicpalooza weekend before last, Jim Butcher was signing his books for free. i had him sign my only book of his (storm front). i told him i was a new fan and had only read that one book but that i really enjoyed it. he told me "good, because it's the worst one and they only get better from there."

he was very nice, and was signing 4-5 books per person for some folks and taking pictures as well.
shaynew1
AG
schmendeler said:

"good, because it's the worst one and they only get better from there."

IIMG fail..

He's right though...get ready for a ride!
Madmarttigan
AG
Just buckle up when you get to Changes...

Such an appropriate title right from the beginning lol.

PatAg
AG
Just wanted to hop on verify that Dresden Files is amazing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.