Anyone read the Kingkiller Chronicles?

150,685 Views | 1254 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by YouBet
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think a pre amble to set the scene would work fine (a la Star Wars scroll). Something to explain the caste system.
bangobango
AG
All I know is I kept picturing John Leguizamo as Sevro.

I know he's about thirty years too old, but he would be perfect for that part.
bangobango
AG
Dont think the caste system will be too hard to explain. I think the author wrote a lot of that book with a movie in mind. Color coding the caste system makes it easy to convey visually. They'll have some exposition from Darrow's wife or from on of the Sons and that will be it. They'll hammer home the color scheme to remind everyone about it with costuming, filters, and makeup.

The more intricate political conflicts between the folds and the various moons and planets is what will be difficult to convey on screen.
M.C. Swag
AG
Idk if you've seen Shameless, but I really like Jeremy Allen White (portrays Lip). He doesn't have the traditional hollywood looks or build and is great at acting sulky and vengeful. I think he would make a great Sevro.

Absolute
AG
I pictured the friend from Doogie Houser.

I just hope the costumes don't end up looking like the Elizabeth banks costumes in hunger games.....
MW03
AG
All I know is that if Jason Isaacs doesn't play a gold, we riot.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I just finished The Black Mage trilogy by Rachel Carter and it was fantastic. I'd also recommend The Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. It's the only book out in the series but I couldn't put it down.
Absolute
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

I just finished The Black Mage trilogy by Rachel Carter and it was fantastic. I'd also recommend The Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. It's the only book out in the series but I couldn't put it down.
Finally!! more recommendations rather than BS arguing!!! Thanks!
Madmarttigan
AG
Thanks to the A-hole who recommended red rising I almost read the whole first book in a day and barely slept. Very entertaining book so far.
bangobango
AG
tv1113 said:

Thanks to the A-hole who recommended red rising I almost read the whole first book in a day and barely slept. Very entertaining book so far.
Lol. yeah, same here. Great books.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
tv1113 said:

I don't know how others felt but I thought the series improved with each book so you are in for missing more sleep
M.C. Swag
AG
I liked #2 the best!
Goofus And Galante
mpl35 said:

JJxvi said:

Oathbringer is only book three of a planned five or ten book set depending on how you look at it.
Sanderson is publishing at a clip of one every three years even while writing mistborn novels and finishing up WoT. I'd think since WoT is done, and Mistborn is winding down?, he might be able to speed up. Definitely has a great chance to finish the first group of 5 in the next 6-7 years at the current pace. That would be a tie at Martins current pace IF he actually manages to finish the series in 2 more books. So far he has had to split books before and the current book might not actually make is out in 2017. Also assuming Martin doesn't die...

Wait a minute.....there are more Mistborn books?
mpl35
AG
Goofus And Galante said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

Yes.
Goofus And Galante
how are wax and wayne? I never read Alloy as I heard it was written for more of a younger audience.
mpl35
AG
Goofus And Galante said:

how are wax and wayne? I never read Alloy as I heard it was written for more of a younger audience.
I have not enjoyed them as much...but I still like them. The original saga introduced innovative magic system and had some fun stuff. The black powder age is less appealing to me. That is just my personal preference. Maybe some others will chime in.
KALALL
AG
I think I actually have enjoyed the Wax and Wayne series more than the original series. It could be they're more fresh on my mind, and I'm just thankful that Brandon Sanderson is still pumping out books.
PatAg
AG
mpl35 said:

Goofus And Galante said:

I have not enjoyed them as much...but I still like them. The original saga introduced innovative magic system and had some fun stuff. The black powder age is less appealing to me. That is just my personal preference. Maybe some others will chime in.
That's the same take I have.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also prefer the original series. The endings of the new ones really didnt give me much excitement compared to his usual style.
MW03
AG
mpl35 said:

Goofus And Galante said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistborn_series

Yes.

This is fantastic information!
mpl35
AG
This is what makes Sanderson so impressive. He finished WOT, wrote mistborn, still writing more mistborn, novellas out the wazoo, reckoners, rythmatists, and more. All in what, 12 years?

Plus he got married and has 3 kids while sometimes teaching on the side. Makes many of the others guys look bad in comparison. I wonder if they hate him for it?
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm sure GRRM is cool with his bed of cash he lays on from HBO despite not putting anything out.

ramblin_ag02
AG
I've heard Sanderson on a few podcasts. He's awesome. He says he constantly has to turn down invitations and appearances so he has time to write.

He also says that the Wheel of Time and Stormlight books actually feel like hard work, because he constantly has to keep track of past continuity and future story direction. Sounds kinda mind-boggling. So when he gets burnt-out or frustrated he writes a novella, standalone novel, or a YA series off the cuff, because they are easier and help him unwind. It's unreal
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mpl35
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I liked #2 the best!
Well, I agree with this. Took me 4.5 days but I knocked out Red Rising Trilogy. I didn't even realize the series was SF and not fantasy until I started reading...

Very well written. I liked 2, 1, then 3. Thought book three the writing wasn't quite as perfect.
Like the traps and plans the main character plans out, when you are reading his POV, I thought could be written to not reveal anything but instead a few times seemed to intentionally decieve - as if he himself didn't know what was happening. "Bye felicia"
Goofus And Galante
ramblin_ag02 said:

I've heard Sanderson on a few podcasts. He's awesome. He says he constantly has to turn down invitations and appearances so he has time to write.

He also says that the Wheel of Time and Stormlight books actually feel like hard work, because he constantly has to keep track of past continuity and future story direction. Sounds kinda mind-boggling. So when he gets burnt-out or frustrated he writes a novella, standalone novel, or a YA series off the cuff, because they are easier and help him unwind. It's unreal
What he did with the Wheel of Time was nothing short of breathtaking. The last 3 books were some of the best I've read, after slogging through the morass of the middle books.
mpl35
AG
Goofus And Galante said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

What he did with the Wheel of Time was nothing short of breathtaking. The last 3 books were some of the best I've read, after slogging through the morass of the middle books.
Only real negative was a bit disappointed with the feel of a few characters. Seemed off. But overall top notch work. I can't imagine how hard it is to step into another's series and finish it off like he did. Might have helped that the middle books 7-10 were so mediocre.

Sanderson is a damn fine writer.
maverick2076
Maybe Rothfuss and Martin will both have strokes due to the Trump presidency and Sanderson can finish up those two series as well. That seems to be our best bet to getting quality conclusions to them.
mpl35
AG
maverick2076 said:

Maybe Rothfuss and Martin will both have strokes due to the Trump presidency and Sanderson can finish up those two series as well. That seems to be our best bet to getting quality conclusions to them.
Dawale
I really do think that Rothfuss will have a politics related nervous breakdown.
bangobango
AG
Is Martin a democrat?
Goofus And Galante
maverick2076 said:

POTY
Goofus And Galante
bangobango said:

Is Martin a democrat?
Big time, I think he's of the Sanders ilk.
KidDoc
AG
Due to this crazy thread I actually purchased Red Rising 1 this morning for a bargain of $1.99 on my Kindle.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Madmarttigan
AG
Good luck sleeping.

On book 3 now. I had to take it slower through book 2, but still really good with a crazy ending.
schmendeler
AG
I took advantage of the kindle deal today, thanks for that. I'll probably hold off on starting it till the last book comes out, though. Just in case.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.