Outdoors
Sponsored by

RTIC coolers

410,622 Views | 1348 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JeffAggie2012
sunchaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That lawsuit was filed on July 17, 2015 if I am reading it correctly.
montanagriz
S
Whelp...I preordered one.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
I guess what I'm getting at is... If it's so easy to achieve the same quality for cheaper, why doesn't YETI do it? Any reduction in sale price for a YETI would be recovered by selling far more units.
Their production costs aren't that much different than yeti's, I bet.

I can run a business with slimmer profit margins if I don't have as much overhead. My shop is a prime example of it. I am very competitive with most of my pricing because I know I can sell a gun for x% markup even though I don't have the buying power of academy who get's y% markup. I do this because I am going after, and getting, repeat customers. 4 months into the business, I can honestly say that probably 15% of my customer base has come and purchased a second firearm from me. On top of all that, I also don't have the overhead that they do. Right now, I'm paying myself and paying my business partner back. How many businesses are already looking at paying their investors back after about 5 months? He is most likely going to be ok with just putting that money back into the store and helping it grow, but I'll actually be able to tell him that I am capable of paying him back starting next month, if projections continue.

What I'm getting at is this... if a yeti type cooler costs $90 to produce and yeti retails them for $250, while selling them to dealers for $150, it's very possible for a company like RTIC to produce a cooler for $100 and sell them for $125 without going through dealers. Now, that being said, yeti definitely has the buying power to get a better price on their product and the moment they feel that RTIC or someone similar is taking too much market share they can absolutely crush them on price/quality. We also have not seen a RTIC in action in the real world for an extended period of time. They admitted to changing the latch mechanism and a few other things to satisfy YETI. We'll see how they do in the long run quality wise. Direct marketing will also only take them so far and one of the only reasons many people sell yeti is because there is a pretty decent markup to them. That's why I don't mind doing a Texags hookup on them. Even with the hookup, I get a better margin than a lot of the other products I sell in store at full markup.

Now, if they are trying to hit yeti's same $90 (prices I'm using on production and wholesale costs are all theoretical btw) and still keep the same quality with a pittance of the volume that yeti does, then it will show up at some point that they are of lower quality.
JPRowdy 93
AG
I'm on the hook too for the smaller one in tan. The correspondence says a July reservation delivers by the end of October and an August reservation delivers by the end of November. Worst case is I'm out $125 plus tax.

Hopefully the fact that they have opened the "showroom" in Houston is at least some indication they are legit.

jgw02
AG
Just ordered the same thing Rowdy did above. I gained confidence after hearing about the poster above visiting the showroom.
MrJonMan
AG
They're plan as it was explained to me was to work off sheer volume and smaller profit margins.

For the record, I've been in since July 6th on a 20 & 40
MrJonMan
AG
Oh and they're waiting on the first shipment to arrive, there were some delays, but that's why there is such a variance in wait time. They'll have shipments coming in waves.
water turkey
Ordered the small tan one. I had reserved one months ago but just got the email to pre-order today.

Hopefully I didn't just waste $135. We'll see.
AgEng06
AG
Got it, thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but your post spelled it out nicely.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Received the email today. Debating on the 45 vs 65. 65 would be too big for most occasions but for 25 bucks you get 50% more space.
JYDog90
AG
Just bought the 45. I hope this works out ok. I thought about getting the 65 for the extra $20. But I think for what I'm using it for with just my family, 45 makes sense.
ursusguy
AG
Heck, even my cheap a-- is intrigued by this.
FIDO*98*
AG
Why aren't any of these ever in Grey. Half the boat decks I see on new boats are grey. I couldn't justify cost of a Yeti on my boat, but, if I could get a matching cooler for half the price I'd buy two of them today
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
CactusThomas
AG
I'm waiting for a company to offer a cooler with all the same features for half the price of the RTIC.

$200 for a cooler still seems nuts to me.
RK
AG
it's nice to see there is another tier of people who will be berating the RTIC people for spending so much on a cooler while the RTIC people berate the YETI people while the YETI people just don't care.
Ramrod
AG
quote:
it's nice to see there is another tier of people who will be berating the RTIC people for spending so much on a cooler while the RTIC people berate the YETI people while the YETI people just don't care.
If I had the time I'd like to go through the all the old Yeti bashing threads and take note of who said something along the lines of "my $50 igloo/coleman works just fine". Then compare that list to who is buying RTIC.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Pre-ordered my 65 qt last night. Since I signed up in July, I should be getting it by Halloween.
Slided bread
AG
If the 65 is larger than the YETI, does that push it over the edge as unwieldy? What did you think about the size of the 45?
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
If the 65 is larger than the YETI, does that push it over the edge as unwieldy? What did you think about the size of the 45?

Neither of them have the impression of obtrusive or anything of the sort, basically, they made them all slightly larger so that they're true to size. If it says 65qt then it's 65qt. Or more
Pete Mitchell
Not thrilled they're only offering white and tan now.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Decided on the 65. If it works well and I want a more mobile cooler I'll pick up the 45 as well.
texags08
AG
quote:

I just ordered the tan after initially wanting the Dark Earth. I am worried that they will have the Dark Earth later and I will regret the purchase now.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:

I just ordered the tan after initially wanting the Dark Earth. I am worried that they will have the Dark Earth later and I will regret the purchase now.

You're right. Tan isn't nearly as tacticool as FDE. You could always hydrodip it in Kryptek Highlander if it really bothers you.
Post removed:
by user
Dennis Reynolds
quote:
quote:

This
texags08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're right. Tan isn't nearly as tacticool as FDE. You could always hydrodip it in Kryptek Highlander if it really bothers you.

I know you are joking, but i really wanted the FDE because it more closely matches the paint on my truck.

To add to the joking, my next purchase will be a white one so i can have it Hydro Dipped in this.

RK
AG
you RTIC people are a bunch of fashionistas.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I know you are joking, but i really wanted the FDE because it more closely matches the paint on my truck.

To add to the joking, my next purchase will be a white one so i can have it Hydro Dipped in this.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/01/08/2539752_02_ak_47_custom_hydro_dip_7_62x39_640.jpg

What's the best deal you can cut me on a key of pure Colombian yeyo?
Slided bread
AG
aggielostinETX
AG
anyone having trouble ordering this morning? Their web support sucks.
aggielostinETX
AG
Just called and ordered. The lady on the phone was very nice.

The web support people suck.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
No problems with my order. Probably getting slammed with orders.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.