Outdoors
Sponsored by

RTIC coolers

410,600 Views | 1348 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JeffAggie2012
Post removed:
by user
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I suspect this little company will fail. I understand some people are very practical and will only pay for what for what they get, but Yeti has created a brand that is worth millions and people buy it because of it. The debate will always be those who think you shouldn't pay more than $50 for an Igloo that works as well as a $400 Yeti, but there is little market space for someone who wants to pay $200 to be like the $400 Yeti. The market is getting flooded with cheap knockoffs, but these RTIC coolers fail to attempt to be uniquely their own. I mean they appear to use the same molds, hinges, drain plugs, etc. as Yeti. This is all good, but you can't claim to be both cheaper and better. If the market strategy is to eliminate marketing costs and just sell a cheap knockoff that's fine, but understand most Yeti sales are to folks who use it recreationally and buy it because of the brand. If you want to see how cheap knockoffs fare, look no further than JC Penny's failed attempt to knock off Polo shirts with their Knights of the Round Table. It was the identical logo as Polo except instead of a polo mallet, the rider had a joust.
Does anyone even rememebr KotRT? Is Polo still in business? Did we have the same arguments back then about the need to own a $20 shirt with a $50 logo? I'm sure Polo and Yeti will both tell you there are enough people who will pay for the brand.
I have to chuckle at this now. I was actually thinking along the same lines as you. Guess we are all proved wrong. They seem to be doing very well for themselves.

Turns out I am also joining that price range.

I don't think they are better. But they are comparable from everything I've heard. Which means it is still a damn good product. That I am paying half price for over the other major competition. Sounds like a win to me. Getting ready to place my order now actually....

Capitalism wins again!
Fountain
quote:
Because it's Miller Lite
That's a bull**** post right there, son.

The question still needs to be answered...why is there still beer left?
texags08
AG
quote:
quote:
Because it's Miller Lite
That's a bull**** post right there, son.

The question still needs to be answered...why is there still beer left?

Well beer is gone. As of Friday morning there was still cold water in it, but no ice. Thursday mornin was th last bit of ice I saw. So five days of ice.
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
quote:
Looks like they sponsor a NASCAR driver now, Cole Whitt
http://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2723999/replies/45530040

care to give us any more insight?

Like what? I shared all I knew.

One of the owners asked me if I knew of Cole Whitt because they were thinking about sponsoring on his car& what I thought about it. I told him I don't know crap about NASCAR but I would see what I could find out.....naturally that means ask TexAgs.

I wake up today and see a Facebook post & realize that "thinking" about sponsoring his car actually meant it's already done.
Post removed:
by user
MrJonMan
AG
Ohhhh

Well, obviously soft sided colors as shown above

But they've got koozies, 10 & 20oz cups, and handles for the cups as well
El Mero Guero
Nm
ttha_aggie_09
AG
And his wife probably collects shoes and he makes fun of her.
Post removed:
by user
suburban cowboy
AG
I saw an RTIC in the back of a pickup at my gym last week... Duly regret not snapping a photo
MrJonMan
AG
quote:
How is the lawsuit coming along

Not a clue
montanagriz
S
Wish they would have the green or blue colored coolers coming out soon.
tclub
Their Facebook page said preorder on the softsided coolers was going to start feb 15, but I couldn't find anywhere to preorder. Did I miss something? Anyone else see that?
GrizzlyCoolers
quote:
The big plus I saw besides cost, is they've made them so the entire top opens, rather that just a slit down the middle. Much easier to access.

The design that you are referencing is a design that Grizzly Coolers has had in development for several months. As we understand it an RTIC representative was shown the design at the factory in China, and somehow they left with our design. Grizzly Coolers has concept sketches, developmental drawings, tooling receipts, and documented correspondence between our representatives and the factory dating to September 2015. We've made RTIC aware of all of this and have asked for the post to be removed. To date we have not heard anything back.

These photos shows the product evolution:
http://www.grizzlycoolers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/IMG_4975-1024x768.jpg http://www.grizzlycoolers.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/IMG_4983-1024x768.jpg

This post shows a teaser we put out last fall with the test unit:
https://instagr.am/p/8MIjMvOZcN

EDIT: Photos
Post removed:
by user
RK
AG
dayum. the Chinese are basically not to be trusted for anything beyond tasty food.
Post removed:
by user
GrizzlyCoolers
quote:
quote:
dayum. the Chinese are basically not to be trusted for anything beyond tasty food.

Seems like this has been known for a longtime. Outsourcing your production means you no longer have control of your own product. Unless there is specific patent protection this really seems like a hard lesson for everyone involved. That includes yeti.
The cooler was still in development. There were definitely still items to resolve before we would have launched it. Regarding patents, they really only protect the idea/product when the goods go into production.
Shilo
AG
I tend to agree with Sasappis on this one. I don't work in that type of manufacturing, but you had to know there was a risk of getting your design ripped off, especially after Yeti already had theirs copied by RTIC.

I also know very little about patents, but there has to be some protection even before production, assuming your design is unique enough to get a patent. If it's not unique enough to get legal protection, then you have to somewhat expect it will get copied and find a way to set your product above the knockoffs.

That said... it sucks, and I'd be pissed if I were you, but it doesn't sound like RTIC did anything illegal. Maybe not exactly ethical, but legal nonetheless. Ripping off designs of others seems to be the m.o. of RTIC. As Sasappis mentioned... I hope you learned something.

mts6175
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Seems like this has been known for a longtime. Outsourcing your production means you no longer have control of your own product. Unless there is specific patent protection this really seems like a hard lesson for everyone involved. That includes yeti.
The cooler was still in development. There were definitely still items to resolve before we would have launched it. Regarding patents, they really only protect the idea/product when the goods go into production.

I am not your lawyer and this isn't legal advice but it sounds like you guys need to spend some time with an ip lawyer. For a couple of different reasons.
I'm not a lawyer either, but I would think that a cooler company who's based off other people's designs would have a tough time claiming intellectual property rights on another one doing the same thing they did.....
Post removed:
by user
Superdave1993
AG
quote:
Not to derail, but they copied speedo competition swim suits also. Great for beginner/younger swimmers.

Now back to the poor man's cooler thread I have been lurking on.
MrJonMan
AG
quote:

Haha. Things are getting interesting
Poeag
AG
My question is...if grizzly coolers are made in the u.s. As they are advertised....how did the design make it to China?
mts6175
Caliber
Texan76
Received my 65 a week ago. Really like it so far.
GrizzlyCoolers
quote:
My question is...if grizzly coolers are made in the u.s. As they are advertised....how did the design make it to China?
ALL rotationally molded Grizzly Coolers are made in our factory in Decorah IA USA, as they have been since 2002.

Grizzly Gear products are imported, there are zero to no manufacturers domestically for welded seam and vacuum insulated products.
MrJonMan
AG
Next question is how did a cooler manufacturer get an account and are being allowed to talk about their products without being a sponsor?
aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
Next question is how did a cooler manufacturer get an account and are being allowed to talk about their products without being a sponsor?

He signed up?

He isn't advertising. Plenty of room for everyone.

You gonna share your relationship with RTIC?
htxag09
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.