***Recruiting Thread***

214,988 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are apparently wanting Kopp to play a stretch 4 and he wants to play the 3. Northwestern has been showing him the love a ton lately.
LonghornsNo1
I don't remember Collins missing a game all summer
Pumpkinhead
AG
If I recall, Northwestern was heavily recruiting Savion Flagg as well. They definitely put in the work down in the Houston basketball recruiting area.
LonghornsNo1
Pumpkinhead said:

If I recall, Northwestern was heavily recruiting Savion Flagg as well. They definitely put in the work down in the Houston basketball recruiting area.

You recall correctly, as well as Maxwell Evans. All things being equal, I still think Max may have ended up at Northwestern vs Vandy.
Gap
AG
Kopp is very versatile. He is a guy that you just get out there as one of the 5 guys on the floor and can really play anywhere except the 1 or 5. He is very physical and strong for a 2. And he is probably a little short for the 4 but can bang a bit and he definitely has a better outside game than the typical 4.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

Kopp is very versatile. He is a guy that you just get out there as one of the 5 guys on the floor and can really play anywhere except the 1 or 5. He is very physical and strong for a 2. And he is probably a little short for the 4 but can bang a bit and he definitely has a better outside game than the typical 4.
I wonder if us having a guy like Flagg already on the roster will be a negative to him. Not sure what NW's projected roster next season looks like.
LonghornsNo1
I would think Savion would be more of a plus than a negative. The bigger question is "fit" overall. For instance, I personally believe Texas would be an awful fit in terms of system. He just doesn't mesh well with the style Shaka likes to play. A&M is a much better spot for him if you are choosing between those 2. Conversely, he is a kid that when I first saw him really play, his game screamed Big 10 to me. But that is just a personal observation/opinion. I think it comes down to between 3 or 4 schools with him, and I think A&M is one of them.
LawHall88
AG
More on Grimes:

Quote:

Five-star point guard Quentin Grimes took a key step in the recruiting process on Friday.

Grimes, a 6-foot-4 standout out of The Woodlands (Tex.) College Park, narrowed his list of schools to seven -- Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Texas and Texas A&M.

"I just had to get a grasp on the top schools that were staying consistent, contacting me, who were at most of the games and who made me a big priority so we decided to focus on those schools," Grimes told Scout.
Quote:

Texas A&M: I know most of those guys from Houston and I have a close relationship with those guys, I played with them and played against them and I know how they play so it would be not too far, kind of like home because I know so many guys and have played with them and know each of them in different areas.
Just based on his comments in the article, he seems real enamored with Marquette.

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-guard-Quentin-Grimes-discusses-his-list-of-seven-105782365
Gap
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

I would think Savion would be more of a plus than a negative. The bigger question is "fit" overall. For instance, I personally believe Texas would be an awful fit in terms of system. He just doesn't mesh well with the style Shaka likes to play. A&M is a much better spot for him if you are choosing between those 2. Conversely, he is a kid that when I first saw him really play, his game screamed Big 10 to me. But that is just a personal observation/opinion. I think it comes down to between 3 or 4 schools with him, and I think A&M is one of them.
I think it would be a plus as well. Having one versatile guy is almost like having none (from an offensive perspective) because the defense doesn't have to make any decisions. They can defend him with who and how they want. Having two guys with such versatility allows you to create all the mismatches you want.
LonghornsNo1

LonghornsNo1
LawHall88 said:

More on Grimes:

Quote:

Five-star point guard Quentin Grimes took a key step in the recruiting process on Friday.

Grimes, a 6-foot-4 standout out of The Woodlands (Tex.) College Park, narrowed his list of schools to seven -- Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette, Texas and Texas A&M.

"I just had to get a grasp on the top schools that were staying consistent, contacting me, who were at most of the games and who made me a big priority so we decided to focus on those schools," Grimes told Scout.
Quote:

Texas A&M: I know most of those guys from Houston and I have a close relationship with those guys, I played with them and played against them and I know how they play so it would be not too far, kind of like home because I know so many guys and have played with them and know each of them in different areas.
Just based on his comments in the article, he seems real enamored with Marquette.

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-guard-Quentin-Grimes-discusses-his-list-of-seven-105782365

I think he comes down to Kansas or Texas. Just a personal opinion based on a lot of second hand info.
LawHall88
AG
shano0603
AG
LawHall88 said:

More on Grimes:

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW, I talked to a guy who trains Quentin and he said Marquette was more in his top schools because they were his first offer.
k20dub
AG
Do we know the same person?
miller0926
AG
Y'all think I can sneak in to this if I wear a throwback Reed Rowdies Polo/Texags shirt and A&M Adidas shorts? This is where I went to that AAU tourney like 15 minutes from my house. This lineup looks sick.

shano0603
AG
k20dub said:

Do we know the same person?

Maybe?
LawHall88
AG

mdanyc03
AG
Top four for Keyshawn embery from Oklahoma

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/keyshawn-embery-cuts-list-sets-visits
Pumpkinhead
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

LawHall88 said:

More on Grimes:

Quote:

Quote:

I think he comes down to Kansas or Texas. Just a personal opinion based on a lot of second hand info.
Arizona just landed a 5-star 2018 PG commit. Cross Zona off the list for Grimes.

I agree the smoke has always mostly seemed to lean Kansas. If for some reason not the Jayhawks, then yeah I'd guess he stays instate with either Longhorns or (longer outside shot) Aggies.
LawHall88
AG
CypressAg09
AG
How many will we take this year? Should we be concerned that the early signing period is only a few months a way and we don't have any commits?
greg.w.h
AG
My sensation is we are an emerging program talentwise and commitments are meaningful whenever they happen but at signing time is whennthe talent programs really bring down the sigs.

I'm not worried. I do hope we get a reload on bench talent in anticipation of losing this year's juniors but also hope they get really hungry and stay. I know all of them won't and that's just reality.
mallen
AG
LawHall88 said:

Glad that the Aggies are on the list however I'm scratching my head understanding why a recruit would release a Final 11 list. Final 4 or 5 I can understand but Final 11 isn't exactly narrowing things down much. I guess he dropped interest in Florida. That's about all that list tells me.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
Lots of Crystal ball picks coming in for Jaedon DeLee out of Kinkaid
74OA
AG
Anyone recall who the two transfers added to the class of '17 were? Position and remaining eligibility?
mallen
AG
Good find. LeDee is a Top 100ish 6'8" small forward who appears to have offers from Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and UCLA among others.

Class of 2018.
wacarnolds
AG
74OA said:

Anyone recall who the two transfers added to the class of '17 were? Position and remaining eligibility?
Josh Nebo - PF, 6'-8" - has to sit out this year, but will then have 2 years left to play

Duane Wilson - SG, 6'-2" - eligible this year, only has 1 year of eligibility left
74OA
AG
Thanks!
Hop
Staff
AG
mallen said:

Good find. LeDee is a Top 100ish 6'8" small forward who appears to have offers from Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, and UCLA among others.

Class of 2018.
I think most of those offers are pretty old. He started off as a promising young guard a few years ago and he had a major growth spurt to 6-8.
phorizt
Ledee was a top 25-50 player as a soph/junior but seems to have dropped quite a bit in the rankings this year. Still would be a bery solid pickup.
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

Ledee was a top 25-50 player as a soph/junior but seems to have dropped quite a bit in the rankings this year. Still would be a bery solid pickup.
He dropped during his junior year, but he had a very good July eval period last month. He averaged 18-20 points on a loaded Texas Pro squad and took over a couple of games down the stretch. The blue bloods backed off because he's a bit of a tweener, but he has excellent basketball skills. Many recruiting anaysts this summer say he's one of those valuable "blue collar" guys.
LonghornsNo1
He actually began to fall last year. Imo, he fell into the trap of "playing up", playing last summer exclusively against 2017. He wasn't bad; but if he had played 16U, I think he could have improved his stock and been ranked similarly with Liddell, Grimes, etc. It's quite common, especially in the Houston area, but is a pit fall many kids and their parents don't see. You take kids like Jahvon Quinnerly, Naz Reid, etc who never played out of their age group and continuously rose in the rankings.

Having said all that, Ledee was pretty much back to form this summer, and he started to rise again, at least with the college coaches. I can't speak to each and every offer, but my guess is he still hold valid offers to some big time programs. He would be a very big get for A&M. Looked closer to 6-9 when I saw him last month, and he's another kid who has an NBA body.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop or Longhorn, just curious, if you could only land one of either Kopp or LeDee, which recruit would you prefer?
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead-90 said:

Hop or Longhorn, just curious, if you could only land one of either Kopp or LeDee, which recruit would you prefer?
That's a tough one because they are two different players. I wasn't a huge fan of Kopp last year because he seemed too slow-footed on defense to be a perimeter guy, but he was too small to be a big factor in the post. But when I saw him this summer, he seemed much quicker to me, not only with his footwork, but he gets his shot off in a nano-second. I now think he can play the perimeter in college. I may lean slightly toward Kopp, but LeDee is right there too. He's a junk yard dog type in the paint because he has some handle for a big guy. He can also hit the outside shot. If he was just a little longer, he'd be an elite prospect. He doesn't have quite the arm length you'd prefer from your big guns...but he's so athletic he can be one of those grinders in the middle that can do a lot of damage.

I think most services are right on Kopp. They moved him to around the No. 75 spot. LeDee is still lagging in the No. 115-120 range. I'd move him up to the No. 90-100 range.

A&M was looking (and offered earlier) the post from Basketball University (Soulemayne Doumbia) who is a long-armed effective shot blocker but overall his game is very raw and he's not nearly as skilled as LeDee. But his length is attractive. He's s developmental guy though. LeDee will be ready to contribute from day one.
LonghornsNo1
It's tough for me to be impartial. Love the Kopp kid, on and off the court. But I really like Ledee and his game. As Hop said, two different animals so tough to compare. I personally favor Kopp but there may be more than a bit of bias there. The truth is either one would be a big get and I'd love to have both.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.