***Recruiting Thread***

214,939 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
notjakefromstatefarm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't get me wrong I like the A&M program as of right now. The 2015 recruiting class was amazing. RW made the 2016 class stellar by himself. 2017 seems to be solid but we don't know yet. I'm just hopeful albeit a little skeptical this kind of recruiting success can continue. If we land cherry on Friday I'll start thinking getting these kind of players will become the norm.
Pumpkinhead
AG
notjakefromstatefarm said:

Just saw that J'raan Brooks, a four star that looks to be very similar to Taeshon Cherry just committed to USC. If indeed it is down to just the Ags and the Trojans like hop said, maybe this swings momentum in our direction.

Getting Cherry on Friday would really give me confidence about the future of the program.
There are only two predictions on Crystal Ball for Cherry, but both (made in last couple of days) have him going to USC including a San Diego analyst.

If it is between USC or A&M, obviously USC is considerably closer (Cherry is from San Diego). Cherry also retweeted Brooks commitment to USC. Maybe like Tyler Davis and Elijah Thomas in our 2015 class, they are perfectly fine playing with each other as perhaps Cherry sees himself more as a SF.

As I mentioned in previous post, pulling a 4/5-star kid out of the West Coast to College Station would be a very impressive recruiting pull, more impressive than landing an equivalent in-state kid. So still a bit skeptical but we'll see.
phorizt
Cherry definitely considers himself to be more of a SF from everything I've seen him talk about. The other kid is considered more of a true PF even though they're about the same size. And Brooks is also from San Diego although he plays for a school in Seattle now. Both with very strong longtime relationships with USC assistant coach Tony Bland who played and coached at San Diego State. Seems like a coordinated effort for them both to commit to USC the same week to me.

I hope like heck that I'm wrong and we can pull it off. Would be a huge pickup for this class.
Pumpkinhead
AG
phorizt said:

Cherry definitely considers himself to be more of a SF from everything I've seen him talk about. The other kid is considered more of a true PF even though they're about the same size. And Brooks is also from San Diego although he plays for a school in Seattle now. Both with very strong longtime relationships with USC assistant coach Tony Bland who played and coached at San Diego State. Seems like a coordinated effort for them both to commit to USC the same week to me.

I hope like heck that I'm wrong and we can pull it off. Would be a huge pickup for this class.
Yeah, the drip-drip-drip of information nuggets seems to indicate USC. Don't really see anything on the interwebs that screams 'A&M' (other than he said he had the 'strongest' relationship with our staff about a month ago but that is a lifetime ago in recruiting), while there several possible indicators at this point of Trojans.
GE
AG
Not saying we're going to get this guy but remember Tyler Davis had ZERO crystal balls to A&M and Hogg had ZERO to A&M prior to Davis committing. Gilder only had 11% to A&M at the time of his commitment.
Pumpkinhead
AG
GE said:

Not saying we're going to get this guy but remember Tyler Davis had ZERO crystal balls to A&M and Hogg had ZERO to A&M prior to Davis committing. Gilder only had 11% to A&M at the time of his commitment.

I agree CB isn't necessarily accurate but it isn't just that, it is that plus other nuggets out there like this thread below with people who have talked to 'sources' or read 'insider info' saying it is going to be USC, though one poster on this thread says he heard it is an USC-A&M battle.

Often, when the majority of Internet 'buzz' (though yes you have to take stuff written on the internet with a grain of salt) is leaning one way, that is probably the safe guess. Hopefully this will be one of those cases where the internet is surprised.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/6jq4rq/taeshon_cherry_5_2018_sf_decides_on_friday/
Pumpkinhead
AG
Cherry tweeted that he is announcing at 6 pm tomorrow. the 'buzz' on the internet is still that he is going to USC Trojans. There is info attached to his tweet saying that he already told folks down in San Diego it is USC. Take it for what it's worth.
GE
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Cherry tweeted that he is announcing at 6 pm tomorrow. the 'buzz' on the internet is still that he is going to USC Trojans. There is info attached to his tweet saying that he already told folks down in San Diego it is USC. Take it for what it's worth.
Sounds like that's where he's going. Hopefully we have a contingency plan with the Aggie legacy Meyer having committed elsewhere. Especially important with the buzz that Hogg is not coming back for his senior season. Success this year is going to be critically important to recruiting '19.
LawHall88
LawHall88
AG
Madaman
Quote:

Especially important with the buzz that Hogg is not coming back for his senior season.

Method Man
We aren't going to get Grimes either imo.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

We aren't going to get Grimes either imo.
Grimes looks like a guy who will wait until Spring '18 before committing. I do expect us to probably make his 'Final Five' cut or so, but the other four schools will probably be..oh...Kansas, Duke, Kentucky...something like that. No biggie. Ags beat out those particular schools for hoops recruits all the time.
Hop
Staff
AG
A&M or Kansas as of 2-3 weeks ago...he told me the plan was to sign in November. As we know, plans can change.
LawHall88
AG
2020 SF Cade Cunningham:
Quote:

ST. LOUIS Talent is not lacking with Cade Cunningham, as the 6-foot-6 small forward has the chance to be recruited heavily in the coming years. The class of 2020 wing has already picked up a couple of high-major offers as a bevy of others have started to track the versatile and productive prospect.

A standout from this past weekend's Nike Top 100, Cunningham showed that he can shoot, finish, rebound and defend. The younger brother of former SMU standout Cannen Cunningham, Cade spoke about his early recruitment.

"I have Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Tulane offers," he said.

Quote:

Texas A&M: "Coach Ulric (Maligi) was actually my brother's assistant at SMU, so I knew him for a very long time. We already built a bond and have a good little coach-player relationship. I love the dude so I guess I can give them a little bit of an edge."
Quote:

Cunningham has everything at his fingertips to be a prioritized college prospect for some of the very best programs, both within his region, and even nationally. A good-sized and strong small forward that can touch various parts of the box score, Texas A&M may have the leg up on its competition thanks to past connections.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/cade-cunningham-primed-to-be-one-of-stars-in-class-of-2020?utm_content=buffer94412&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
LawHall88
AG
2018 PF Josh LeBlanc:

Quote:

In-state, Wade could also look to Madison Prep big man Josh LeBlanc for the Class of 2018. The 6-foot-7, 215-pound LeBlanc also holds offers from Georgetown, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Iowa State, Minnesota, Houston, Louisiana-Lafayette, UAB and South Florida among others.

http://www.nola.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/07/where_does_lsu_basketball_recr.html

Method Man
Aggie09Derek
AG
Unless there is some big connection there, we are pretty late to the party with him.
mdanyc03
AG
A&m, lsu top two for josh Leblanc

mdanyc03
AG

Method Man
Aggie09Derek
AG
Maybe supposed to be Texas A&M rather than just Texas.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Yeah, that is probably the case. Folks out there tend to forget that we are not 'Texas'.

Billy Kennedy was there at the game. No mention of Shaka

Method Man
Of course
LawHall88
AG

miller0926
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

From 4 days ago. Skip to 1:30 mark
Method Man
Pumpkinhead
AG
miller0926 said:

Aggie09Derek said:

From 4 days ago. Skip to 1:30 mark
Maybe it is Texas then. Although I remember Tonny Trocha calling us 'Texas' when we were recruiting him, Grimes almost certainly knows the difference.

Seems all the recruiting analysts think Kansas anyways.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Kansas would be hard to turn down for a recruit who doesn't need to stay close to home.
txag614
So who do we look to be favorites with to land in this class?
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
txag614 said:

So who do we look to be favorites with to land in this class?
I wonder the same thing. Looks like we swung and missed at a couple big targets (Cherry and Grimes).

Keep an eye on Darius Days, a late-blooming PF out of Florida who we were on relatively early, although Louisville and some other big programs are making a push now.

Quote:

Darius Day currently sits at the back end of the 2018 Rivals150 at No. 113 overall, but he's due for a bump at the next update of the rankings with his play this travel season for the Florida Vipers. The Florida native is slightly undersized but hard playing power forward who presents mismatch problems with his versatility similar to how Draymond Green does for the Golden State Warriors.
Kansas is the most recent program to extend a scholarship offer to Days. Pittsburgh, LSU, Texas A&M, Louisville, USC, Missouri, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest have also been involved with him the past few months.

Days reflected on the teams in pursuit of his commitment.

Texas A&M
: "It's a good program. They have done well there. It's the same thing as LSU and Pittsburgh, they said I could play early."

GE
AG
Right now it's hard to expect the '18 class to be very good relative to the last three. That's going to put even more pressure on this team to win this year and win big.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
jml2621 said:

Gap said:

Me like. Creates his own shot. Nice handle. Pretty good hops.

Interview with Kopp:

Quote:

Who do you feel like has really prioritized you?
I'd say Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Butler and Tulane as well.

Have you taken any unofficials?
I've taken unofficials to SMU, Wichita State earlier in the year, I've been to Texas A&M a couple of times, that's really it.

What's the next step with you in this whole process?
The only official I have set up right now is September 15th for Northwestern but right now I'm just finishing up playing July and then I think I'm going to cut my list down after July and then go from there.

What's Texas A&M's pitch been to you?
Just come in and be able to space the floor and use my versatility.
http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/2018-wing-Miller-Kopp-says-five-schools-have-prioritized-him-105406192

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.