***Recruiting Thread***

214,613 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think this is where Leblanc stood before his visit, but just for the sake of providing an update:

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

paterfamilias79
AG
Not sure that pic verifies that Bryce Thompson is 6' 5"
PJYoung
AG
His hair is almost there.
wacarnolds
AG
Didn't make the cut for Quentin Grimes, although maybe his quote at the end leaves some wiggle room

Quote:

ADAM ZAGORIA

Quentin Grimes cuts to four, breaks down home visits

Quentin Grimes, the 6-foot-5, 195-pound point guard from College Park High School (TX), has trimmed his list to four schools and had home visits with all four of them this week.

He will announce official visits later this week but is expected to visit all four Kansas, Kentucky, Marquette and Texas. Grimes cut Arizona, Texas A&M and Baylor from his original list of seven.

"Those are really my final four right now," he said Wednesday by phone.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/13/quentin-grimes-cuts-four-breaks-home-visits/
TjgtAg08
AG
Damn, that sucks. We were the first on this kid a few years ago, sucks to see Marquette and Texas making the cut and not us. Shaka Smart sure can recruit, and yet he can't seem to coach his way out of a paper bag at tu.
Hop
Staff
AG
The staff stopped recruiting him in July...they weren't feeling it.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Meaning he wasn't reciprocating their interest so best to not put resources to him and focus it elsewhere?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Meaning he wasn't reciprocating their interest so best to not put resources to him and focus it elsewhere?
Yeah, the staff probably had a really good feel for what their chances were and decided to simply cut bait and focus elsewhere.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The next couple of weeks will tell us a lot about the 2018 recruiting class.

- 4 star guard Keyshawn Emberly is announcing between Texas A&M and Arkansas tomorrow. Because our roster is currently loaded with young quality guards (Caldwell, Starks, Chandler) and Arkansas' current guard roster is senior heavy, going Hogs makes a lot of sense for Emberly and seems likely that is where he will go.

- 4 star power forward Josh LeBlanc (Baton Rouge kid) is going to be decided between LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. He is a friend of Emberly and just did an official to College Station last weekend. He also knows Robert Williams. LSU just landed a 5-star forward. The pick there has generally been LSU, but given that the Tigers just added the 5-star then that could change things. Unlike Emberly, A&M has a good roster story to tell to LeBlanc (come in and be the next Louisianimal that Darby puts an NBA body on like he just did Robert Williams). This one is murky. We'll see. He is supposed to visit LSU as of now on September 22. Kennedy visited with him again as recently as Wednesday.

- 4-star power forward Jaedon LeDee - Many Crystal Ball picks for A&M in this one and he is doing an official visit to College Station this weekend. Unclear whether both LeBlanc and LeDee would come to College Station if the other committed. As of now, this seems like the most likely Texas A&M commit of the top-rated guys that the Aggies are currently in on.

- 4-star small forward Miller Kopp - Going to Northwestern this weekend. Just did an official with A&M last weekend. Decision probably not too far off. Butler is still trying to get him., but looks like probably going to be a Northwestern vs. A&M decision. Observers as of now seem to be leaning Northwestern but Kennedy still trying to get him (was at Houston Christian just a couple of days ago).

As of right now, I do feel okay that the Aggies will probably get at least 1 of the above 4 guys, but hopefully they will get 2 of them and that of course looks like a tougher gig. If they got at least one of LeBlanc or LeDee and then Kopp, that would be a good November signing class IMO. Then see about adding another guy or two in the spring. But we'll see.
Hop
Staff
AG
I don't think LSU will continue to pursue LeBlanc hard after yesterday's commitment, and I think A&M has a pretty good chance here. The question is what happens to LeDee, and if A&M pushes him (he's at A&M now) for a quick commit. Some believe A&M will only take one big in this class, and I think the staff sees LeBlanc as a more traditional big while LeDee is a hybrid stretch forward and even possibly a wing in a big lineup. We'll see.
LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

I don't think LSU will continue to pursue LeBlanc hard after yesterday's commitment, and I think A&M has a pretty good chance here. The question is what happens to LeDee, and if A&M pushes him (he's at A&M now) for a quick commit. Some believe A&M will only take one big in this class, and I think the staff sees LeBlanc as a more traditional big while LeDee is a hybrid stretch forward and even possibly a wing in a big lineup. We'll see.
We trotted out the Davis-Williams-Trocha frontline a handful of times later in the season, maybe BK likes the option of "going big."
txag614
I'm really hoping we can find a way to take both.
GE
AG
LawHall88 said:

Hop said:

We trotted out the Davis-Williams-Trocha frontline a handful of times later in the season, maybe BK likes the option of "going big."
I think that combination was more the result Corprew and Caldwell not making it in and Vila not panning out than it was by design.
mdanyc03
AG
Or in other words, when somebody uses mismatched silverware it probably doesn't mean they prefer mismatched silverware
GE
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Or in other words, when somebody uses mismatched silverware it probably doesn't mean they prefer mismatched silverware
Well put. Although if Tonny were able to play like he did in the FIBA tournament I wouldn't be opposed to revisiting that lineup if something were to happen to DJ or Flagg or there was an obvious mismatch opportunity..
Ags #1
AG
Emberly to the pigs
GE
AG
Ags #1 said:

Emberly to the pigs
Well at least that is fully anticipated bad news
lbasham
AG
Many Cry.stal balls on Ledee going to Ohio State today. He commits tomorrow. Rats.
txag614
We better land LeBlanc. That sucks on LeDee.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Maybe the staff moved up his visit last weekend because Ohio State was about to get him. LeDee was at Ohio State the weekend before.

If we don't get LeBlanc, then the staff's recruiting effort for 2018 November signing period is going start looking like a 'bust' IMO because they would have apparently whiffed on getting a quality power forward recruit to College Station (and seems like a definite need to sign one of those in 2018).

Losing out on Emberly was really not that big a deal, cause our roster is already loaded with young quality guards. It actually didn't really make sense for Emberly to choose us over Arkansas, so that didn't concern me at all.

But we clearly need to add a quality power forward type given that both Robert Williams and Tonny Trocha are going to be gone after this season. We can absolutely sell immediate playing time to a 4-star 2018 freshman PF recruit.

Everybody cross fingers for LeBlanc and hope that LSU truly isn't interested as much in a 4-star Baton Rouge kid since landing their 5-star PF type last week. If we get LeBlanc, things are good. If not...uh...yikes...
TjgtAg08
AG
Looks like LSU's front court situation is about the same as ours for 2018-2019. They lose 3 guys after this year, and will have a senior, a junior and two sophomores on their roster next year, plus the freshman 5* they got just last week.

We will have Davis (SR), Nebo (JR), Jasey (SO) and Walker (SO or RS-Fr). Looks pretty similar, minus the current commitment.

If it does come down to us and LSU for LeBlanc, the question will be, from the LSU side, do they have a scholly to offer to another forward, or do they need to add a guard? I think they will have 3-4 senior guards in 2018-2019, so you'd think they would want to bring in a guard as well in this class. Actually, their entire roster is pretty similar to ours, from a class/position standpoint.

I'm assuming we will/are putting the full-court press on LeBlanc, probably selling him as our only post in this class, etc., and I actually trust BK and the staff to close ... but they NEED to close this guy.
k20dub
AG
Hearing Northwestern has the lead for Miller Kopp
Method Man
lbasham said:

Many Cry.stal balls on Ledee going to Ohio State today. He commits tomorrow. Rats.

Are crystal balls ever right?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

lbasham said:

Are crystal balls ever right?

Jerry Meyer when asked why he changed his CB pitch from A&M to Ohio State today.

Pumpkinhead
AG
k20dub said:

Hearing Northwestern has the lead for Miller Kopp

Kopp has seemed to be a NW lean for awhile. Reading the tea leaves, A&M's best chance to land a highly rated 2018 HS recruit seemed to be one of LeDee or LeBlanc. Either is cool, just not good if you missed on everybody.
lbasham
AG
Ledee to Ohio State.
RoseRichAg01
PJYoung said:

His hair is almost there.
Cue the Fletch reference.
LonghornsNo1
Wouldn't count out Butler just yet. They really pulled out the stops on Kopp's recent visit, plus his summer teammate PF Morris Udeze (FB Travis product currently at Montverde) also has Butler in his final 5. Udeze is ranked as the top Texas 2018 big by some so not sure why Northwestern or A&M hasn't offered. He also has Ohio State, LSU, Wichita State and TCU aa the other 4. Naz Reid's recent commitment to LSU probably puts him elsewhere, and some think Wichita leads. Not sure how LeDee's commitment effects Ohio State's chances.

I think you're probably right on your assessment on Kopp with NW and A&M, but Butler is definitely still in it. I can say that Chris Collins was at every one of his live period games this spring and summer and has been all in on Kopp. But Kennedy also definitely picked up the pace and was even in Orlando at the end of the summer watching Kopp while most were in Vegas. And Kopp would be the third marquee player from the Houston Defenders program in as many years to end up in Aggieland if that ends up being his choice.
LonghornsNo1
And any criticism you could make of Kennedy cannot be recruiting-related. He has recruited out of his shoes since he's been there. For some reason, he reminds me a lot of Mack Brown in that regard. A genuine, kind person who parents trust and kids love. And if A&M stays healthy with everyone available, I know a LOT of basketball people who actually favor them to win the SEC. You start making deep tournament runs, you will see another bump in recruiting. With superior talent, you only need the right group to mesh to catch lightning in a bottle.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

And any criticism you could make of Kennedy cannot be recruiting-related. He has recruited out of his shoes since he's been there. For some reason, he reminds me a lot of Mack Brown in that regard. A genuine, kind person who parents trust and kids love. And if A&M stays healthy with everyone available, I know a LOT of basketball people who actually favor them to win the SEC. You start making deep tournament runs, you will see another bump in recruiting. With superior talent, you only need the right group to mesh to catch lightning in a bottle.
Some of the struggles to recruit for 2018 is understandable actually because A&M has recruited so well recently.

Texas A&M currently has four guard/wing types on its roster with 4 years of eligibility remaining in Caldwell, TJ Starks, Jay Jay Chandler, Savion Flagg, plus that Walker kid whom they picked up late spring.

That is a pretty loaded looking roster for any 2018 recruit who is prioritizing early playing time at the traditional 1-3 spots. So was understandable that any PG/Combo-Guard/Wingish type was probably a tough sell. It seemed Emberly went Arkansas partly because of our backcourt roster being so loaded, and apparently LeDee also fancies himself more a face up wing (like Flagg) than a traditional post guy.

Now...Robert Williams and Tonny Trocha are definitely gone at the end of this season. Maybe even Davis too depending on how well things go. Texas A&M already has the transfer Nebo (whom they seem really high on) and Jasey to slot into the middle. But definitely a PF recruit like LeBlanc, it seems like Texas A&M's roster should look really attractive in terms of coming in and filling in a roster hole left by Robert Williams and Tonny's departures. But that kid lives in Baton Rouge so you gotta watch LSU obviously depending on how hard they are still pushing for him.

If they can land a kid like LeBlanc, IMO that would have addressed the biggest need for the 2018 recruiting. LeBlanc is a long, athletic power forward type. That would be just what the doctor ordered. Now they would still have a couple more spots to fill after that but still crossing fingers for LeBlanc (or somebody along those lines).

Pumpkinhead
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

I know a LOT of basketball people who actually favor them to win the SEC.
It is not an unrealistic thing to think A&M might be able to pull that off. Kentucky obviously is always the favorite and they have their typical hoard of 5-star talent under Calipari, but this season it is true that this will be Cal's least experienced team thus far there, with almost no D1 experience for any of those players. The SEC from top to bottom just looks tougher to me (the bad teams not as bad, the 'average' teams probably better than the average teams last year) which means road games even tougher.

That inexperience in Lexington might trip them up juuuuuust enough games for somebody else like an A&M or Florida to sneak in there and grab the SEC title. I won't be surprised if 14-4 or 11-5 wins the SEC this season. I'll definitely be surprised if anybody cruises through at 16-2 or better.

Texas A&M seems to have a GREAT mix of experience and talent and depth on this 2017-2018 bunch. A very well constructed roster. The coaching staff got a lot of deserved criticism for screwing the pooch with last year's roster situation which ended up being fatally flawed in the backcourt due to various reasons...but this year's roster on paper should get an A+ grade for roster construction.

Now we'll soon see if they meet the high expectations.

rlb28
AG
lbasham said:

Ledee to Ohio State.

Meh. He'll be back in the state of Texas Before his four years are up
LonghornsNo1
Anyone that is critical of their coach at times, and I think that all of us who are passionate are, need look no further than UK and Coach Cal. There's not a better recruiter on the planet but he's no Brad Stevens with the clipboard. And there is not a place more passionate about basketball than the state of Kentucky (along with Indiana). And they love Cal there.

And you are spot on with the recruits. Unless you are coming as a big (I.e., to be a replacement for Williams or Davis), the minutes look pretty sparse for the next couple of years. And you know how everanyone wants to play asap. And as you say, that is because Kennedy and crew have loaded the crew have loaded the cupboard.
Hop
Staff
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

The recruiting effort in this class has been underwhelming. Kennedy's recruiting was strong with Stansbury and Keller on the staff. This new staff still needs to prove they can get the job done on the recruiting trail. they have been VERY quiet with the 2018 class.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.