***Recruiting Thread***

213,588 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
GE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hop said:

To show how far he's come, here's a video from two years ago at the Ivory Coast.

How much do we know about this guy? Any issues such as age, academic eligibility, or handlers trying to get paid?
Method Man
I wouldn't HOPE we wouldn't recruit someone with handlers!!!
GE
AG
Method Man said:

I wouldn't HOPE we wouldn't recruit someone with handlers!!!
Maybe its naieve of me but with some of these people I see a distinction between a confidant trying to get the best deal and somebody basically importing a player from another country for his own personal gain and openly shopping him around.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

mdanyc03 said:

Basketball U is also with Quentin Grimes and importantly they are Adidas affiliated which gives us an advantage over all of the other in state schools (and the national schools bar Kansas and Louisville).
Sahvir Wheeler is a Basketball University guy. Definitely the staff is working its way into this AAU organization.

Skeptical about Wheeler playing high major D1 ball because of his size, but if we land another quality recruit (or recruits) partly because Wheeler is helping recruit for us then signing a munchkin might be worth it for that alone.
Hickory High
AG
We need a big African player
_lefraud_
AG
Hickory High said:

We need a big African player

A 30 year old African player?
Method Man
LawHall88
AG
Method Man
mdanyc03
AG
Looks like we are trying to take the entire roster at basketball u. This guy won Houston area player of the year.
Gap
AG
Hawkins led Cy Falls to the 6A championship this year.
Method Man
LawHall88
AG

So, I can't get the tweet to post, but it appears we offered 2019 PG Tre Mann from Gainesville.
Method Man
Method Man
Method Man
Method Man
Know Your Enemy
AG
This is the son of a former co-worker of mine.

Method Man
#BringEmToAggieland
hoya-ag
AG
Method Man

I believe we lead for this young man.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Reminds me of Cauruso or maybe Vila.
AgsForTheWin
AG
GE said:

Method Man said:

Reminds me of Cauruso or maybe Vila.
That's a pretty big difference...
Pumpkinhead
AG
Some highlights of Mayer in some Houston Hoops AAU action just a couple of weeks ago. The Scout recruiting site currently has him ranked as the #52 player nationally. Rivals/247 composite both have him currently ranked as a Top-100 2018 player nationally.

Similar to Savion Flagg, it looks like A&M got on Mayer really early before most other majors, offering him way back in October of 2015.

Baylor, Longhorns, and A&M have all offered him in-state, and he seems to mention those schools usually in his recruiting interviews. Barnes over at Tennessee among others has also been trying to recruit him.

http://endlessmotor.net/2017/04/26/matthew-mayer-18houston-hoops-2017-eybl-session-1-highlights/

Quote:

Austin Westlake small forward Matthew Mayer continued to display why he's such a touted prospect during EYBL session 1. The talented 6'7 wing/forward displayed great ability as a two-way player that can play multiple spots on the floor.

Mayer absolutely dominated against Indy Heat, finishing with 17 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks and played a vital role in the blow victory for Houston Hoops. He may have turned in the highlight reel of EYBL session 1 when Matthew weaved his way through traffic in transition before absolutely crushing home a dunk on Brandon Johns. Beyond that impressive display of athleticism, Mayer knocked down two catch and shoot threes, created off the dribble and finished at the rim, attacked the glass and played great helpside defense. It is very easy to see why Scout's #52 player for 2018 is highly touted. He has the ball skills and shooting of a guard, while having the size and length of a forward. See below for highlights.
Method Man
I love you.
Method Man
Where did his parents go to school?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Method Man said:

Let's see what Corey Evans said about that just a couple of days ago...

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/texas-flavor-for-four-star-mayer

Quote:

Matt Mayer
Quote:

is the ideal forward in today's game. He's someone who can step out and shoot the perimeter jumper and defend more than one spot, but is athletic enough in producing around the basket. His physical abilities and upside have made him a priority for the top programs in the state of Texas.

Hmmm...quotes in the interview, sounds like Mayer is most focused on choosing between either Baylor, Texas, or Texas A&M....and both his parents are graduates of....Texas A&M.

And he says that the A&M coaching staff has probably talked to him the most and pursued him the most [Note as mentioned in earlier post that we apparently offered him way back in October 2015].
Hop
Staff
AG
Method Man said:

Both parents went to Texas A&M I believe.
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
GE
AG
Carpet bombing offers.
Method Man
Pumpkinhead
AG
So if we did land that Matt Mayer kid, are we happy with the pickup? One of the articles mentioned that he may still be growing a bit and get to around 6'8".
Pumpkinhead
AG
Back on Sept 1, 2016 (the UCLA football game weekend), the basketball staff hosted the following visitors:

Savion Flagg (signed with A&M)
  • TJ Starks (signed with A&M)
  • Victor Bailey Jr. (signed with Oregon)
  • Matt Mayer (2018 4-star wing)
  • Quentin Grimes (2018 5-star guard)
  • Sahvir Wheeler (2019 PG, committed to A&M)
  • Method Man
    Certainly would complain (until he misses his first shot).

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.