***Recruiting Thread***

214,984 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
CactusThomas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mdanyc03 said:

Matthew Mayer committed to Baylor yesterday.

Recruiting miss? Both parents being Aggies, I figured we were in good position with this kid.

Could be. Or could be we went in another direction. I would be interested to hear from hop or Logan.

Either way, terrible parenting.
Hop
Staff
AG
I'll ask around for specifics. Just based on my observation, I got the feeling that A&M liked Mayer but didn't push him hard. I think they believe they have a good shot at the Cherry kid.
mdanyc03
AG

2020 pg from Wisconsin
miller0926
AG

Taeshon Cherry announcing next Friday
mallen
AG
Interesting set of schools in his final list. Looks like Aggies vs the west coast schools. Maybe we stand a chance in this one.
miller0926
AG
mallen said:

Interesting set of schools in his final list. Looks like Aggies vs the west coast schools. Maybe we stand a chance in this one.
He's from San Diego
Mike Elko
AG
mallen
AG
miller0926 said:

mallen said:

He's from San Diego
Yeah, I knew he was from California. Just interesting that we are the only school not near the West coast.
Hop
Staff
AG
Just curious...but why don't we have a recruiting thread for each class? We have a 21 page thread and about 15 pages are obsolete at this point. Or, start a new recruiting thread the day after the early signing period is over in November. Just a thought.
mdanyc03
AG
Espn top 25 for 2020. Four kids from Texas including Greg brown (5), rj Hampton (6), and tramon mark (22).

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2020/order/true
Hop
Staff
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Espn top 25 for 2020. Four kids from Texas including Greg brown (5), rj Hampton (6), and tramon mark (22).

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2020/order/true

Brown plays on Basketball Univrsity w Wheeler, Grimes, and those guys. He's a starter and very good. He needs to add weight, which he will.
Method Man
I like the crazy long thread. It would drop off if it was a smaller one. Almost did several times because there are so many gaps in offers/commitments.
phorizt
I watched an interview w Cherry recently and he talked alot about wanting to play with his buddies in college and mentioned specifically Oregon and Arizona as places where he already has friends committed or very close friends that are also considering those schools. Not sure how high he is on the Oregon and Arizona boards though if they are pushing for him.

Does he have any kind of special connection to A&m players or staff that we are aware of?
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

I watched an interview w Cherry recently and he talked alot about wanting to play with his buddies in college and mentioned specifically Oregon and Arizona as places where he already has friends committed or very close friends that are also considering those schools. Not sure how high he is on the Oregon and Arizona boards though if they are pushing for him.

Does he have any kind of special connection to A&m players or staff that we are aware of?

In those same interviews he says he has the closest relationship with A&M coaches.
Hop
Staff
AG

mdanyc03
AG
Hop said:

mdanyc03 said:

Brown plays on Basketball Univrsity w Wheeler, Grimes, and those guys. He's a starter and very good. He needs to add weight, which he will.

I also just noticed Jabri abdur rahim (shareef's son and coach amir 's nephew) is 7th on the list.
phorizt
That's dif than the one I saw. Either way hope we can land him.
Pumpkinhead
AG
From a distance, the safe guess would be that Cherry is going to one of the other schools like Zona or Oregon due to connections with other players there, PAC 12, and stronger basketball programs.

If A&M was able to pull a top-50 kid out of the West coast overcoming those other programs mentioned on his Final list, IMO it would be right up there as one of the most impressive basketball recruiting sales jobs we have seen in College Station. So by default that makes me pretty skeptical about us being the picked hat on selection day. Clearly the staff worked hard to get in the door with this kid and his family, unfortunately in recruiting it is an all or nothing Game with no reward for second place.
Hop
Staff
AG
In retrospect, I think A&M is probably happy Corprew didn't make it to campus. This is a bit creepy.

Wearamaskaggie
AG
Don't be jealous you can't pull it off hop.
GE
AG
I got skewered here for questioning some of the questionable content on his Twitter page a couple years ago.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man
GE said:

I got skewered here for questioning some of the questionable content on his Twitter page a couple years ago.

Let it go dot gif
Serious Lee
dude is all kinds of names for posting that on the WWW, but what kind of man doesnt like to do the al bundy crotch grab?
mdanyc03
AG
Hop said:

In retrospect, I think A&M is probably happy Corprew didn't make it to campus. This is a bit creepy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/09ey3sDYqL">pic.twitter.com/09ey3sDYqL</a></p>— SHAWN (@_SHAWN_C) <a href="https://twitter.com/_SHAWN_C/status/879012123564797955">June 25, 2017</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If hop posts a video and says it is weird and we are better off not having the guy there is about a zero percent chance I will watch it. But that's just me.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Don't be shocked if Michael Porter Jr decides to stay in school for 2 years at Missouri.

I know it goes against all conventional wisdom that a kid projected to go #1 in the NBA draft would say 'No thanks, I'll wait for another year'. But there are some factors that make Porter's case a bit unusual.

1) Colombia, Missouri is Porter's hometown (his dad was on the women's basketball coaching staff when Porter was in high school. His aunt is still the current head coach of the Missouri woman's basketball team).

2) His dad is now an assistant coach on the men's basketball coaching staff at Missouri.

3) His younger brother Jontay is a Missouri class of 2018 basketball commit (5-star rated, top-10 national recruit) who will be joining the team next season.

4) Porter Jr. has been saying that it isn't a given that he will be one-and-done.

So largely, Missouri basketball is a Porter family operation the next couple of seasons. Similar to Blake Griffin who stayed at OU for two seasons partly to play another year with his brother, Porter Jr declaring after his freshman season does not seem the almost 100% certainty as you'd typically think for a kid with that kind of draft stock.
Pumpkinhead
AG
OOps, my last post, I meant to post on the 'Robert Williams #5 projected pick' thread, so wrong thread here and PC not liking copy paste right now for some reason. So just pretend I posted the above post on that other thread.
LawHall88
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Don't be shocked if Michael Porter Jr decides to stay in school for 2 years at Missouri.

I know it goes against all conventional wisdom that a kid projected to go #1 in the NBA draft would say 'No thanks, I'll wait for another year'. But there are some factors that make Porter's case a bit unusual.

1) Colombia, Missouri is Porter's hometown (his dad was on the women's basketball coaching staff when Porter was in high school. His aunt is still the current head coach of the Missouri woman's basketball team).

2) His dad is now an assistant coach on the men's basketball coaching staff at Missouri.

3) His younger brother Jontay is a Missouri class of 2018 basketball commit (5-star rated, top-10 national recruit) who will be joining the team next season.

4) Porter Jr. has been saying that it isn't a given that he will be one-and-done.

So largely, Missouri basketball is a Porter family operation the next couple of seasons. Similar to Blake Griffin who stayed at OU for two seasons partly to play another year with his brother, Porter Jr declaring after his freshman season does not seem the almost 100% certainty as you'd typically think for a kid with that kind of draft stock.

And JFF is coming back for his junior season.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LawHall88 said:

Pumpkinhead said:

And JFF is coming back for his junior season.
Yeah, it seems unlikely, but as I said, this situation is a bit unusual where the family pressure/influence may be more towards staying than leaving. Given that the dad is a coach on the staff, the brother will be an incoming 5-star freshman, etc. And the words coming of the of kid's own mouth.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/video-porter-jr-says-he-may-not-be-a-one/html_347db754-cae8-5814-a20e-47d2fb452c97.html

So it maybe isn't a '100% definitely gone' sort of deal as you'd usually expect.
mdanyc03
AG
Still wrong thread
Method Man
Hahaha
phorizt
http://d1vision.com/houston-defenders-morris-udeze/

This kid from Houston says he visited on the 21st. In the article he claims an offer from A&M but not sure how accurate that is. He is one of the most highly rated PF/C players in the state in this class but it seems like an incredibly down year for those guys in Texas. Seems like a pretty down year across the board in TX for that matter with only 4-5 Nat top 100 caliber guys in state.

He plays for the Houston Defenders with the other kid we recently offered Miller Kopp.

This may be a good year to look at going juco to find a PF. Or we may be in the market for a transfer big man after the season. Gonna need someone who can step in and play immediately next year and I don't see any of those types of guys among the HS bigs we're after.
phorizt
I completely forgot about the transfer PF we got. He's like a 6'7" PF who's best attribute is being a shot blocker so I'm not completely sold he's gonna be the answer. I think he's a nice piece to have but not gonna be a game changer. Jalen Jones was far more skilled offensively at about the same size and even he struggled against legit big men in the SEC.
notjakefromstatefarm
AG
Just saw that J'raan Brooks, a four star that looks to be very similar to Taeshon Cherry just committed to USC. If indeed it is down to just the Ags and the Trojans like hop said, maybe this swings momentum in our direction.

Getting Cherry on Friday would really give me confidence about the future of the program.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
You're not confident about the future of the program now?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.