***Recruiting Thread***

213,633 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
Pumpkinhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
How many non-5star PGs have had great freshman years?
Great? Not many. I can't even think of one off the top of my head.

Good? Enough that we can consider it a reasonable possibility.
Off the top of my head and then did a quick check, yeah Jordan Woodard was a 3-star rated recruit who had a pretty good freshman season starting at OU:

quote:

2013-14 (FRESHMAN)

Started all 33 games (one shy of OU freshman record) ... Averaged 10.3 points, 2.2 rebounds, team-high 4.6 assists and 1.0 steal in 28.0 minutes a contest

If Caldwell was able to have a Jordan Woodard fish season then we'd be good to go.

Anthony Collins of course, a guy that we are familiar with, was a 3-star rated guy who had a very good freshman year and ended up being the starting PG on an NCAA team that won two games in the tournament.

quote:
2011-12 (FRESHMAN):
quote:
Scored in double figures in 10 of the final 11 games of the season and averaged 14.4 points over the last five games of the year ... recorded 13 points (4-of-8 FG, 0-of-1 3FG, 5-of-5 FT) and six assists in the NCAA Third Round against Ohio (March 18) ... Led the team with 17 points (6-of-12 FG, 5-of-7 FT) and added five assists in the NCAA Second Round vs. Temple (March 16) ... went 6-of-9 from the field in the NCAA First Round against California for 12 points ... Led the team with 17 points (4-of-7 FG, 1-of-2 3FG, 8-of-10 FT) in the BIG EAST Championship second round vs. Villanova (March 7) .... posted his first double-double with 12 points (6-of-7 FG) and 10 assists at No. Syracuse (Feb. 22) ... recorded career-high 22 points at Pittsburgh (8-of-10 FG, 1-of-2 3FG, 5-of-7 FT) dished out a season-high 10 assists and added seven points against Rutgers (Jan. 1)

Agree though that obviously fish are fish and trying to count solely on Caldwell would seem very dicey. We need the grad transfer vet.

Method Man
Evan Daniels
Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels

Top 5 2017 prospect Michael Porter on how his unofficial visit to Texas A&M went: "Really well."
May 2, 2016, 9:51:44 AM from Kentucky, USA
StanGundy
Scout published its final Class of 2016 rankings today and Robert Williams and JJ Caldwell finished #46 and #55.
hoya-ag
AG
phorizt
Here's a nice evaluation of Eric Vila from a tourney he's playing in right now in Europe:

• Eric Vila (2.06 metros y 18 aos): Su nombre ya aparece en la historia del FC Barcelona porque desde el mes de diciembre del ao 2014 es el jugador ms joven en la historia del conjunto cataln en haber debutado en la Liga Endesa. Lo hizo con apenas 6.057 das de vida. Es un jugador alto, habitual en las categoras inferiores de la seleccin espaola que, por su falta de peso, puede alternar la posicin de ala-pvot con la de alero. Es un jugador verstil que compensa su falta de kilos con agilidad y talento. Su tiro de media-larga distancia es notable para su posicin y adems es muy bueno jugando y leyendo los Pick and Roll y tambin en los Pick and Pop. Destacar tambin que Eric es un gran reboteador, gracias a su envergadura y altura.

Basically I think this says that his name is already in the record books as being the youngest player ever to play in whatever league (Liga Endesa) it is that he plays in when he debuted as a 16 year old. He's versatile and makes up for his lack of weight with agility and talent. Shoots well from medium to long range for his position and is very good at pick and roll and pick and pop. Also a very good rebounder due to his height and wingspan.

sorry my spanish is a little rusty but I think that's pretty close.
mdanyc03
AG
Yes, he was the youngest player to ever debut for the Barcelona senior team and that is a club that produced the gasol brothers and Ricky Rubio.

hoya-ag
AG
This is what Google translate says:

"His name already appears in the history of FC Barcelona because from December of the year 2014 is the youngest player in the history of Catalan set in his debut in the league Endesa . He did it with just 6,057 days of life. It is a tall player , usually in the lower categories of the Spanish team that , for lack of weight , you can switch the position of wing - pivot with eaves . It is a versatile player who makes up for his lack of kilos with agility and talent. His shot mid - long distance is notable for its position and in addition is very good at playing and reading Pick and Roll and also in the Pick and Pop . Emphasize also that Eric is a great rebounder , thanks to its size and height."
Method Man
I heard this kid was committing a year ago. Why hasn't it happened yet?
GE
AG
quote:
I read that he was waiting until his season was over. Does anybody know if his season is over?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

His season ends in Mid-May . He said in an interview that a final decision would be made after that. Given the confidence in getting him, I guess I expect us to hear the announcement in another couple of weeks.
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
His season ends in Mid-May . He said in an interview that a final decision would be made after that. Given the confidence in getting him, I guess I expect us to hear the announcement in another couple of weeks.
Was it a listen interview or a read interview? I'm just curious how good this kid's Ingles is.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
I think he is committed to be honest. In the normal way that normal people commit to things. Like how you would tell a potential employer that you are taking a job, I think he has told the staff he is coming to A&M. Or how your nephew might decide where he is going to college and tell his friends and family.

I think not being American, he might not know that he is supposed to tease a twitter announcement for five days with edits of himself in five different uniforms. Maybe somebody should let him know.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
I think not being American, he might not know that he is supposed to tease a twitter announcement for five days with edits of himself in five different uniforms. Maybe somebody should let him know.
If he wanted to do things the American way, then he should have done all that and then decommitted a few months later.
Method Man
There is something between Twitter attention ***** and just a simple "im committed to A&M". If he was committed, Logan or Hop would've posted an article.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
There is something between Twitter attention ***** and just a simple "im committed to A&M". If he was committed, Logan or Hop would've posted an article.
Is there a point that you are trying to make? You are skeptical that Vila is going to sign with A&M despite Logan's recent comments?
mdanyc03
AG
What I am saying is that he may not be aware of the concept of a commitment in terms of a formal/informal status that is reported by web sites in America . The whole concept is completely contrived.

When Logan says he is basically 100 pct sure he is coming to a&m, then I would say those are better odds than anybody who is "committed" to a&m. So if he isn't "committed" maybe he had invented some status that is better than "committed."

My guess is we will see the article when he enrolls in June.
GE
AG
If he had signed I think someone would know about it. Really want this kid. 6'9" people who can shoot like that don't grow on trees. Hopefully he will surprise and show up 20 pounds heavier like Williams did by looking so much more developed in the recent highlights than the ones we had already seen.
Method Man
quote:
quote:
Is there a point that you are trying to make? You are skeptical that Vila is going to sign with A&M despite Logan's recent comments?

Not a huge point. Y'all are just acting like publicly committing is the same as telling our coaches he's committed. He has a Twitter account and hasn't tweeted a thing about A&M. Does that mean he isn't coming? No. I just think it's a little odd that I heard he was coming months ago and haven't seen anything from him (read: anything) mentioning A&M.
GE
AG

GE
AG
That tweet is from a few hours ago. Looks like he ended his season as a champion. Which means he's on the clock and we could hear something at any moment.
GE
AG
"Eric Vila ha sido elegido el MVP de la final gracias a sus 17 puntos, 9 rebotes y 19 de valoracion"

I believe this means that Vila was the MVP of the final finishing with 17 points and 9 rebounds. No clue what de valoracion means but I'm assuming it's some overall rating.
GE
AG

Vila looks to have matured a bit physically and as a player from his earlier highlight videos.
USNAggie44
quote:
"Eric Vila ha sido elegido el MVP de la final gracias a sus 17 puntos, 9 rebotes y 19 de valoracion"

I believe this means that Vila was the MVP of the final finishing with 17 points and 9 rebounds. No clue what de valoracion means but I'm assuming it's some overall rating.

It is
(puntos + rebotes + asist + faltas recibidas + robos de baln + tapones colocados)
- ( total de tiros fallados + balones perdidos + faltas cometidas + tapones recibidos)

Looks like he's a good player despite his lack of kilos
mdanyc03
AG
The next Peja stojakavic
GE
AG
quote:
quote:

It is
(puntos + rebotes + asist + faltas recibidas + robos de baln + tapones colocados)
- ( total de tiros fallados + balones perdidos + faltas cometidas + tapones recibidos)

Looks like he's a good player despite his lack of kilos
What is all that in English
GE
AG
quote:
The next Peja stojakavic
That would be awesome if he comes here.
mdanyc03
AG
Method says Daniel Alexander. I guess that is the spectrum of possibilities here. Daniel Alexander to Peja stojakavic
Method Man
That was on first viewing and I truly believe dunking Dan could've been good. I don't think he had the want to.
mdanyc03
AG
Does anybody know if Tyler Davis speaks Spanish? I think his mom was born in Mexico.

If he does, we need a nickname for Tyler, tonny and villa. "La Pared." Or something like that.
USNAggie44
points rebounds asist fouls balanced theft placed caps)
- (total of missed shots, turnovers fouls committed received caps)
GE
AG
Another note on Vila is if he does commit he will have to travel back to Spain in the summer or show up here late to represent Spain in the FIBA U18 European tournament from July 30th to August 7th. His team plays Croatia on the 30th.
Method Man
Davis speaks English, Spanish and muppet.
Chuck Gay
AG
He has a body built for basketball with his height and length and then he has good shooting skills. I can see why we are excited about this.
Batty
Michael Porter Jr's father just took a job with Washington as an assistant

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/top-basketball-recruit-michael-porter-jr-s-father-lands-assistant-job-at-washington/

Method Man

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.