***Recruiting Thread***

214,951 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Or confirmation that hiring the recruit's godfather paid off.
that definitely plays a part in landing him. still very impressive.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
Western Kentucky offered 2017 four-star guard Jay Jay Chandler a scholarship, per his father.

Well now Rick is starting to piss me off.
LawHall88
AG
An interview with Charles Bassey:

quote:
NBADraft.net: How has the recruiting process been this early?

Charles Bassey: Been good.

NBADraft.net: Are you hearing from a lot of schools?

Charles Bassey: Yeah. I just go to schools to watch games. Like my guardian takes me to colleges like Texas A&M to basically just watch the way they play.

http://www.nbadraft.net/charles-bassey-interview
phorizt
2020 PG LJ Cryer visited A&M over the weekend it looks like per his father's twitter. Kid must be big time if our staff took time on a holiday weekend to visit with him at that age.

2018 G Jamal Bienemy from Katy Thompkins picked up an offer from A&M last week.

mallen
AG
quote:
An interview with Charles Bassey:

quote:
NBADraft.net: How has the recruiting process been this early?

Charles Bassey: Been good.

NBADraft.net: Are you hearing from a lot of schools?

Charles Bassey: Yeah. I just go to schools to watch games. Like my guardian takes me to colleges like Texas A&M to basically just watch the way they play.

http://www.nbadraft.net/charles-bassey-interview

Yet another interview Bassey has mentioned A&M. 4-5 months ago he also mentioned the Aggies.
Method Man
jml2621

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmOCDc3xLCs][/url]
LawHall88
AG
2017 PG Isaiah Washington:

quote:
The Gophers are also in the midst of recruiting another four-star point guard in Isaiah Washington. The 6'0" Bronx, NY native took an official visit to Minnesota in June.

"I went on an unofficial visit to Minnesota a couple days ago," Washington told Pat Lawless of MADE Hoops in late June. "It was a good visit and I like it out there. It was even better than I expected and it's a good option for me."

While the Gophers have the edge according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball, Washington is still receiving offers, including a recent one from Texas A&M, and says his recruitment is wide open.

"I'll look to cut my list of schools sometime during my senior year of high school and move forward from there," Washington, who attends St. Raymond High School for Boys, told MADE Hoops. "After I cut down my list I'll then look for the best time to make a decision."

Washington told MADE that he will choose a school that feels comfortable on and off the court.

"I just have to feel comfortable and at home with the school I choose," Washington said. "I'd like for the ball to be in my hands and for them to have the same style of play that I have."

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/recruiting/2016/7/9/12128140/minnesota-basketball-offers-three-star-2017-class-guard-brad-davidson

Also, an article about our recruitment of Isiah Jasey and Jarrett Culvert:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/texas-am-makes-good-impression-on-isiah-jasey-and-jarrett-culver
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
2017 PG Isaiah Washington:

quote:
The Gophers are also in the midst of recruiting another four-star point guard in Isaiah Washington. The 6'0" Bronx, NY native took an official visit to Minnesota in June.

"I went on an unofficial visit to Minnesota a couple days ago," Washington told Pat Lawless of MADE Hoops in late June. "It was a good visit and I like it out there. It was even better than I expected and it's a good option for me."

While the Gophers have the edge according to the 247Sports Crystal Ball, Washington is still receiving offers, including a recent one from Texas A&M, and says his recruitment is wide open.

"I'll look to cut my list of schools sometime during my senior year of high school and move forward from there," Washington, who attends St. Raymond High School for Boys, told MADE Hoops. "After I cut down my list I'll then look for the best time to make a decision."

Washington told MADE that he will choose a school that feels comfortable on and off the court.

"I just have to feel comfortable and at home with the school I choose," Washington said. "I'd like for the ball to be in my hands and for them to have the same style of play that I have."

http://www.btpowerhouse.com/recruiting/2016/7/9/12128140/minnesota-basketball-offers-three-star-2017-class-guard-brad-davidson

Also, an article about our recruitment of Isiah Jasey and Jarrett Culvert:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/texas-am-makes-good-impression-on-isiah-jasey-and-jarrett-culver
With T.J. Starks now committed for 2017, I don't see us taking any more 6' -ish PGs right now. I think it more likely that he got that A&M offer before Starks committed and it was first come, first served. Starks is the guy.
phorizt
new offer to 2017 guard Parker Stewart. Listed as a PG but he's 6'5" so could be a 2/3 guy. He really has incredible hair.
Chuck Gay
AG
quote:
new offer to 2017 guard Parker Stewart. Listed as a PG but he's 6'5" so could be a 2/3 guy. He really has incredible hair.
RoseRichAg01
Reminds me of Fletch's daydream.
Method Man
He's a dead ringer for Mike Myers.
Method Man
Love the name, too. Announcing they'll break the rules even before the game. Bold strategy!
Method Man

Method Man
wacarnolds
AG
dirty
phorizt
Savion's number 1 on the list of guys I want us to land in this class.
Method Man
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
quote:

Anderson Varejao with a touch of Sideshow Bob
LawHall88
AG
quote:
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN 39s40 seconds ago

Buffalo transfer Lamonte Bearden gave following list to Bulls, per source: Nevada, Arizona, TCU, Texas A&M, Wisc., Marquette, Iowa St, Miami

PG who is transferring from Buffalo. He would need to sit out one year but would then have two years of eligibility remaining.
Method Man
Should we keep getting PGs?
jja79
AG
Until our new one actually gets in I'd say yes.
Method Man
quote:
Until our new one actually gets in I'd say yes.

fair enough
GE
AG
quote:
Should we keep getting PGs?
Not if Caldwell and Smith make it on campus, unless the 2017 guy decommit
jja79
AG
At this point Caldwell hasn't made it and it's eerily quiet on the Corprew front.
Pumpkinhead
AG
All of these guys mentioning A&M do not have committable offers.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
At this point Caldwell hasn't made it and it's eerily quiet on the Corprew front.
Neither has been cleared yet. The report thus far is high confidence that Caldwell gets in (he has been given jersey #4), less so with Corprew. Eric Vila is playing in an U19 FIBA tournament in Europe right now and thus isn't coming to A&M until school starts.

Corprew played in a basketball tournament event last weekend.

Based on what I've read and listened to thus far, personally I'm not too concerned yet as a fan about Caldwell or Vila showing up. The whole point of Caldwell going to home school (leaving regular high school) was to make sure he got through NCAA clearinghouse and they've been working on that for a year since he committed. Obviously, you are 0% in until you are 100% in, but I am not at the really worried point yet with either of those two.

I'm definitely a bit skeptical on Corprew however, because of how his recruitment played out. Sure seems like other schools this spring moved on from him despite his talent which screamed 'lots of work left to do' on the academic front. And unlike Caldwell he is an out-of-state guy who isn't hanging around close to campus. I'm happy we are the ones left with a chance to get him on the court but won't be surprised at all if he never shows up.
Method Man
Method Man
Method Man
mdanyc03
AG
https://twitter.com/JayChandlerIII/status/755872368094908418/photo/1
mdanyc03
AG
We aren't in his 9. I wonder if we have backed off with other guards we have taken? We were considered leaders.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
We aren't in his 9. I wonder if we have backed off with other guards we have taken? We were considered leaders.
Maybe this is a kid that all the assistant coach staff changes in April, plus adding T.J. Starks if Chandler sees himself more as a PG than SG, knocked us out. He has Western Kentucky in his top-9 which is Stansbury milking the prior connection, though I'm skeptical he goes there.

Will cross my fingers that we can pull in Victor Bailey Jr.
Method Man

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.