***Recruiting Thread***

214,919 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
LonghornsNo1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There have been some misses for sure and there will be some more. But Kennedy can recruit and ultimately closes the deal. I think Maligi will be a VERY effective recruiter and will be as formidable as Stansbury in that regard. And he will probably also be proficient in reading HS transcripts/NCAA academic guidelines.

Again, I don't think recruiting can be considered a Kennedy weakness by any stretch. As pumpkinhead correctly surmised, if there is any reason for a shortcoming in this class, it might be how well he's recruited the past few years. That's what happens when you get guys who are more than a one and done, yet are high level college players. Everyone has their own philosophy on what "type" of players they want but personally, those are the ones I prefer.
Method Man
We will be super thin after this season in the post.
Serious Lee
Quote:

And he will probably also be proficient in reading HS transcripts/NCAA academic guidelines.
GE
AG
Method Man said:

Depends on if Davis stays and if we land a post player in this class. Nebo is apparently looking damn good but we don't know exactly how Jasey and Walker will be able to contribute
Hop
Staff
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

There have been some misses for sure and there will be some more. But Kennedy can recruit and ultimately closes the deal. I think Maligi will be a VERY effective recruiter and will be as formidable as Stansbury in that regard. And he will probably also be proficient in reading HS transcripts/NCAA academic guidelines.

Again, I don't think recruiting can be considered a Kennedy weakness by any stretch. As pumpkinhead correctly surmised, if there is any reason for a shortcoming in this class, it might be how well he's recruited the past few years. That's what happens when you get guys who are more than a one and done, yet are high level college players. Everyone has their own philosophy on what "type" of players they want but personally, those are the ones I prefer.
There's no question Kennedy is strong once he gets the kids to campus. But this year they've struggled to establish that serious early target list of 8-10 prospects. Almost all of these recent visits they were playing from behind and having to make up ground, having jumped in late. Kopp wasn't offered until the summer eval period. They didn't get serious with LeBlanc until the spring eval period. Ledee was in play, but they brought him along slowly. Embery was a late offer.

They are behind the eight ball now in this class. There's still some avenues to pursue like the international market and I'm sure they will be grinding hard to jump on some late bloomers in January/February...maybe a reclassification or a JUCO. But they have a minimum of three spots and possibly four to give, and it's looking now like they could get shut-out in the early signing period...best case getting one. Certainly it's no time to panic, but after this week it's time to push the "I hope they know what they are doing" button.
CactusThomas
AG
Hop said:

The recruiting effort in this class has been underwhelming. Kennedy's recruiting was strong with Stansbury and Keller on the staff.

Did you forget to login under your method man sock? Kd would be proud.

All kidding aside, Kennedy has been here long enough that we know better than that, Hop.
wacarnolds
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

And he will probably also be proficient in reading HS transcripts/NCAA academic guidelines.

He must have learned to read after he recruited Keith Frazier
Hop
Staff
AG
CactusThomas said:

Hop said:

The recruiting effort in this class has been underwhelming. Kennedy's recruiting was strong with Stansbury and Keller on the staff.

All kidding aside, Kennedy has been here long enough that we know better than that, Hop.

Feel free to provide any meaningful analysis to the discussion at hand. I'm certainly not one to discount Kennedy. To the contrary, I've debated that issue hundreds of times with those here who do discount Kennedy's impact on anything positive that happens in this program. So lumping me in with the chronic naysayers is a joke.

I've said for a long time his ability to hire Stansbury when he did, given the condition of the program, was a huge accomplishment. Keller was a great hire because he's a good recruiter. But nobody can deny that the 2018 recruiting cycle so far has been a grind and has seen few (if any) dividends to date....five weeks before the signing period.

As I said previously. It's not time to panic, but it is time to wonder what is going on and you hope to see some talented names pop-up on the radar pretty soon.

I'm curious if they start working on guys like Nigel Hawkins and Soulemane Doumbia from Basketball University whom they offered last spring but went in the direction of these recent OV guys this fall.
CactusThomas
AG
Hop said:

So lumping me in with the chronic naysayers is a joke.

It was clearly meant as such.

Hop said:

But nobody can deny that the 2018 recruiting cycle so far has been a grind and has seen few (if any) dividends to date....five weeks before the signing period.

Yes, no one would deny that. But you lost me when you questioned BK's effort.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
How much is it trying to get guys into buying into the Stretch 4 spot rather than offering them he posturing they picture themselves playing?
Pumpkinhead
AG
Post-Keller and Stansbury, this staff pulled in Starks, Wilson, Nebo, & Walker all of whom seemed to have nothing to do with those departed assistants, and have closed on Flagg, Chandler, Jasey whom those two assistants presumably played some role in laying the early groundwork.

Specifically Stansbury, great recruiter but he isn't infallible. The WKU 2017-2018 roster is entering the season with only 7 eligible scholarship players. Basically, their roster situation entering Stansbury's second season, despite all the hype, is kind of a mess right now. Of his heralded 2017 signed class to WKU, three guys have yet to be cleared by the NCAA (one of whom has already transferred out) and then there was the Mitchell Robinson saga. So although Stansbury is an certainly an elite recruiter who has had some great hits, he is not immune to roster mismanagement or miscalculations on the recruiting trail.

That said...the 2018 recruiting cycle has been obviously disappointing and it seems like they miscalculated and missed a ton in this recruiting cycle. They missed on that Mayer kid with two aggie parents for some reason, perhaps because they thought they were going to get somebody else. They invested time going after an elite west coast kid (Cherry). As Hop said, they seemed to get in late on guys like Emberly and Kopp.

If they don't get LeBlanc (or some recruit of that ilk in the next few weeks) and literally whiff on not getting at least one quality HS kid signed in November then I think hitting 'panic button' for 2018 recruiting cycle is called for.

I also am not sold on that 2019 PG Savhir Wheeler decision because of his really small size.
rlb28
AG
In regards to Kopp and Ledee, I just don't know if they are good enough for big-time basketball. I'm not that heartbroken if they both go elsewhere.

We played against Kopp from about 5th grade until 10th grade in AAU ball and he was OK, but grew late. He has continued to improve from year to year so I don't blame the Aggies for slow playing him. I don't know who he'll pick, but it might never have been A&M.

As for Ledee, he was opposite. He was 6'7 as a freshman or sophomore and overwhelmed kids in AAU ball. Not sure if many remember, but Kentucky offered him in 2015 and one media outlet said, " Jaedon LeDee became one of the youngest prospects ever to receive a scholarship offer from Calipari May 1."

I'm not sure how much he has improved. He could be another one of the Texas kids who goes to the Midwest or Northeast and comes back home. I think his dad is really involved and it's hard for a family to watch from afar.

It is troublesome to watch Kennedy seemingly botch this 2018 class (or lack of a class) when things seem to be rolling in the right direction this year on the court.
Gap
AG
LeDee and Kopp's recruitment are almost polar opposites. As mentioned, LeDee had a one and done, blue-blood type of offer list as a freshman and by the time he was a senior, none of those offers were committable. Kopp blew up on the AAU circuit between his junior and senior year with the offers starting to pour in in April from schools like Texas A&M, Northwestern, Miami, Wichita St., Vanderbilt, Kansas St., Butler, Michigan, Georgetown, Memphis, and Georgia Tech.
Hop
Staff
AG
CactusThomas said:

Hop said:

So lumping me in with the chronic naysayers is a joke.

It was clearly meant as such.

Hop said:

But nobody can deny that the 2018 recruiting cycle so far has been a grind and has seen few (if any) dividends to date....five weeks before the signing period.

Yes, no one would deny that. But you lost me when you questioned BK's effort.
I didn't question the work ethic. I'm wondering about the results.
CactusThomas
AG
Hop said:

The recruiting effort in this class has been underwhelming.

Guess I misunderstood you?
jja79
AG
I read that as they aren't trying. How else can you read that?
GE
AG
jja79 said:

I read that as they aren't trying. How else can you read that?
Recruiting effort as in endeavour of recruiting generally, not in terms of amount of effort put in
CactusThomas
AG
Fair enough. I'll move on.
LonghornsNo1
Method Man said:

Yeah that was my thought as well. Udeze would have made a lot of sense as a target. He's a bull that I watched put up a double double AT HALF against the top rated 2018 post in the class at the time, Moses Brown. Absolutely bullied him in the paint.
LonghornsNo1
I gotcha. Fair analysis.
LonghornsNo1
Spot on with the growth regression of Kopp/LeDee. I can tell you part of Kopp's growth was actually being used properly this summer. When you have a score first PG (and rightfully so) in the summer with Grimes and a VERY shot heavy PG in school ball with Wheeler, sometimes it's tough to show what you have. He trailed only Silvio De Sousa on the UAA in scoring this summer, and absolutely owned some other players in non circuit games, including a recent Longhorn commit. I think he can be very effective high D1 which is why he went from 4 to 27 D1 offers this summer.

LeDee is more of a puzzler to me. Has an NBA body and has been extremely impressive at times. At others I wasn't very impressed at all. There are some other factors at play that I won't get into but to say he regressed since getting early offers from the likes of Kansas and Kentucky is fair.
Hop
Staff
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

Spot on with the growth regression of Kopp/LeDee. I can tell you part of Kopp's growth was actually being used properly this summer. When you have a score first PG (and rightfully so) in the summer with Grimes and a VERY shot heavy PG in school ball with Wheeler, sometimes it's tough to show what you have. He trailed only Silvio De Sousa on the UAA in scoring this summer, and absolutely owned some other players in non circuit games, including a recent Longhorn commit. I think he can be very effective high D1 which is why he went from 4 to 27 D1 offers this summer.

LeDee is more of a puzzler to me. Has an NBA body and has been extremely impressive at times. At others I wasn't very impressed at all. There are some other factors at play that I won't get into but to say he regressed since getting early offers from the likes of Kansas and Kentucky is fair.

He's a short 6-8, and he sees himself more as a face-up shooter than a paint player and I think that is the complication. He's athletic, but not quick...as in perimeter quick. Basically, he's a tweener. A&M was a bit hesitant because they need a traditional paint presence a lot more than a hybrid forward with the mindset of a wing.

As far as Kopp, prior to this spring, he also was a tweener who wasn't quick enough to guard the perimeter. He was significantly quicker in the summer eval period and that's why so many new schools came after him. He showed he could effectively play the #3 as well as a stretch forward role.
LonghornsNo1
Kopp can and has played the 2 effectively too. And lest anyone decry summmer ball's lack of defense (which I agree is the norm), if you've ever been to a UAA circuit event, it's a different animal. Dominated by east coast teams, it's more of a rugged, physical league. And Miller consistently drew the opposing team's best defender. While he's not an elite ball handler by any means, he has adequate handles to effectively play the 2. That's a big upside with him at 6-7 being able to play 3 positions if you include a stretch 4 when you go smaller with the lineup. Similar to what Flagg brings, although obviously Kopp is a better shooter and Savion is much more effective getting to the cup.

And by the way, on the defensive liability argument that was considered a hindrance before the summer, a former NBA coach now coaching college noted in the spring that while there might be defensive issues, he also creates a mismatch on the other end with his variety of ways he scores the ball. Of course, that coach has a kid that's been in the league a decade and a half with the same assets/liabilities. Of course his kid does it all at a much higher skill level
Pumpkinhead
AG
More Crystal Ball picks trending in today including from guys like Evan Daniels and Jerry Meyer for Miller Kopp to go to Northwestern.
LawHall88
AG
Method Man
CactusThomas said:

Hop said:

Gap
AG
Aggie09Derek
AG
Any chance we could flip Mayer? I could understand a Westlake kid going to UT, but not Baylor.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Any chance we could flip Mayer? I could understand a Westlake kid going to UT, but not Baylor.

Unlike football, decommits in basketball are rare. Once a basketball recruit commits, that is usually that unless there is a coaching change affecting the recruit, eligibility issues, etc.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Note that the coaching staff was in Dallas seeing 2018 4-star PF recruit Reggie Chaney on Monday,
Pumpkinhead
AG
Gap said:

All signs point to Northwestern.
Tex100
AG
Butler has been talking to him a lot lately ........... It would shock me if he did not chose a&m today
StanGundy
Don't sit by your Twitter. This one is not going to the good guys.
Chuck Gay
AG
As expected

LonghornsNo1
As expected. And to be honest, NW is probably a better fit for Kopp. His game screams Big 10 and it's as high an academic school as they come. And he was Collins' top priority since the first game he saw him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.