***Recruiting Thread***

214,943 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Guy who covers LSU sports for 247 just put in a crystal ball pick this morning for Josh Leblanc to commit to Texas A&M. And remember that LeBlanc lives in Baton Rouge and did his official visit to LSU about a week ago.
Pumpkinhead
AG
wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Guy who covers LSU sports for 247 just put in a crystal ball pick this morning for Josh Leblanc to commit to Texas A&M. And remember that LeBlanc lives in Baton Rouge and did his official visit to LSU about a week ago.

And now Jerry Meyer (Director of 247 scouting) just flipped his pick from LSU to Texas A&M.

Signs look good that the staff got their man.

And as I mentioned in earlier post, LeBlanc will be a great pickup in terms of need for the 2018 recruiting class. Consensus 4-star Top-100 kid whose primary spot seems to be at the 4, with a great motor and upside particularly early as a defender. Just what the doctor ordered IMO given that both Robert Williams and Tonny Trocha will both be moving on to the pros after this season.
Hop
Staff
AG
Gee, I don't get a mention for my crystal ball selection a couple days ago?
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

And now Jerry Meyer (Director of 247 scouting) just flipped his pick from LSU to Texas A&M.

And as I mentioned in earlier post, LeBlanc will be a great pickup in terms of need for the 2018 recruiting class. Consensus 4-star Top-100 kid whose primary spot seems to be at the 4, with a great motor and upside particularly early as a defender. Just what the doctor ordered IMO given that both Robert Williams and Tonny Trocha will both be moving on to the pros after this season.

His 7-foot wingspan is the key to his 4-star value. Defends like a 6-9/6-10 guy in a 6-7.5 body.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

wacarnolds said:

Pumpkinhead said:

His 7-foot wingspan is the key to his 4-star value. Defends like a 6-9/6-10 guy in a 6-7.5 body.
Yep. Plus from everything that I've read thus far, this kid HUSTLES. And he gets off the ground quick. Darby can do his work next summer on him and then hopefully good to go.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
In term of his offensive potential, is he pretty much just dunks and layups at this point? Does he have any sort of post game?
Hop
Staff
AG
Ajm1115 said:

In term of his offensive potential, is he pretty much just dunks and layups at this point? Does he have any sort of post game?
From what I've seen...which granted has been just the video highlight packages since I have not seen him in-person...he doesn't utilize a post-up game. But he is very quick and agile for his size and he can attack the basket off the dribble. He can also run the court well...he'll be very good in transition.
PJYoung
AG
Great news. (If it sticks)
phorizt
There were lots of crystal balls for Ledee to A&m too.
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

Early on...not late.
Pumpkinhead
AG
phorizt said:

And then they all started flipping to Ohio State.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

phorizt said:

And then they all started flipping to Ohio State.
Yeah, when you see a flood of crystal balls at the end that's more than people projecting. That's basically the word on the street is a decision has been made and they are waiting on commit edits, announcement videos, etc.

Still hearing that LeBlanc is set on A&M, but mom is still trying to persuade him to Georgetown.
LawHall88
AG
I'm gonna guess Nunez to Michigan...

wacarnolds
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

And as I mentioned in earlier post, LeBlanc will be a great pickup in terms of need for the 2018 recruiting class. Consensus 4-star Top-100 kid whose primary spot seems to be at the 4, with a great motor and upside particularly early as a defender. Just what the doctor ordered IMO given that both Robert Williams and Tonny Trocha will both be moving on to the pros after this season

Don't overlook the joy of LeBlanc puns he brings to the table
LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

I'm gonna guess Nunez to Michigan...

Michigan it is.

Wearamaskaggie
AG
So probably fits right into the Robert Williams role off dunking the **** out of the ball?
phorizt
Robert Williams skillset in Jalen Jones' body
Pumpkinhead
AG
phorizt said:

Jalen Jones measured at NBA pre-draft 6' 5.5" and 6'11" wingspan.

LeBlanc seems to be a bit taller and longer wingspan Somewhere between Jones and Williams.

Jalen was really undersized at times playing at the 4. Not that much bigger than Alex Caruso and smaller than Danuel House. Jones is a baller though.

If we close on LeBlanc the Aggie fans should be very happy. This appears to a high end recruit. He was named Defensive Player of the Year on the Under Armour Circuit this summer.

ESPN National recruiting analyst Paul Biancardi wrote this about LeBlanc:

Quote:

He is a strong finisher who excels in the transition game. He is one of the few in this class (2018) who can impact a game without scoring by way of his defense and rebounding.

He effort level is undeniable. His energy is endless and he will fit in any system with his defensive awareness and ability to defend ball screens and switch at moment's notice.

Most other analysis I have read describe LeBlanc similarly. Great motor. Quick leaper. Long arms for his height. Offensive game as of now is transition plays, put backs, and dunks. Is a potential Swiss Army knife on defense who can guard several positions and seems to have great timing for blocks.

GE
AG
From reading that and hearing about Jasey we should be good in the post defensively and on the boards for the next few years. Offense will likely have to come more from guards and wings
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

What you posted is almost the complete opposite of what observers have said about his game and his body.
phorizt
so he's not an athletic shot blocking defender who does almost all of his damage offensively right around the basket and has a lean 6'7" body which is probably not prototypical for a PF? He does have long arms which is great so he plays bigger than he measures. And in the few shots you actually do see on any of the film available on him he has nice touch and a high release point so hopefully he can develop into at least a good midrange player.

that's all I meant. It wasn't a negative.

complete opposite would be highly skilled stretch 4 with extended shooting range, great size for the position, not a great defender or shot blocker and unathletic.

I'll be thrilled if we land him.
Hop
Staff
AG
phorizt said:

so he's not an athletic shot blocking defender who does almost all of his damage offensively right around the basket and has a lean 6'7" body which is probably not prototypical for a PF? He does have long arms which is great so he plays bigger than he measures. And in the few shots you actually do see on any of the film available on him he has nice touch and a high release point so hopefully he can develop into at least a good midrange player.

complete opposite would be highly skilled stretch 4 with extended shooting range, great size for the position, not a great defender or shot blocker and unathletic.

His body is the opposite of Jalen Jones who was an under-sized four that wasn't very long and had the game of a No. 3. He wasn't a shot blocker. LeBlanc is a shot blocker that plays much longer than Jones, and he'll have the length to develop a post-up game. Jones usually is a face-to-the-basket type of player with a perimeter shot and pull-up jumpers.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

phorizt said:

His body is the opposite of Jalen Jones who was an under-sized four that wasn't very long and had the game of a No. 3. He wasn't a shot blocker. LeBlanc is a shot blocker that plays much longer than Jones, and he'll have the length to develop a post-up game. Jones usually is a face-to-the-basket type of player with a perimeter shot and pull-up jumpers.
Saw this posted on the Georgetown basketball message board recently

Quote:

I read an article on the 247 yesterday where he said A&M wants him to come in & play the 4 but develop as a 3 over time.. He also said Ewing wants him to come to Gtown and start @ the 3 right away..

Georgetown seems pretty full at the PF spot for at least next season. Maybe Ewing did some 'you can start at the 3 right away' spin to address that issue. If the above info is accurate, A&M's plan seems more realistic for LeBlanc IMO.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

phorizt said:

Quote:

I read an article on the 247 yesterday where he said A&M wants him to come in & play the 4 but develop as a 3 over time.. He also said Ewing wants him to come to Gtown and start @ the 3 right away..

Georgetown seems pretty full at the PF spot for at least next season. Maybe Ewing did some 'you can start at the 3 right away' spin to address that issue. If the above info is accurate, A&M's plan seems more realistic for LeBlanc IMO.

LeBlanc is sold on A&M's message. I would be mildly surprised if he went to Georgetown, with the only concern being the mom wanting GT.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

phorizt said:

Quote:

LeBlanc is sold on A&M's message. I would be mildly surprised if he went to Georgetown, with the only concern being the mom wanting GT.
Uh-oh Hop. Jerry Meyer made a Crystal Ball flip from LSU to Texas A&M just yesterday, and now this afternoon he flipped it from Texas A&M to Georgetown. that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. the influence of moms....
mdanyc03
AG
Welp...that's a bummer.
PJYoung
DTP02
AG
I've been feeling good about Leblanc. This late Georgetown mo is not a positive development. LeBlanc is the kind of kid it's easy to build your defense around because he has so much defensive versatility.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

phorizt said:

Quote:

Uh-oh Hop. Jerry Meyer made a Crystal Ball flip from LSU to Texas A&M just yesterday, and now this afternoon he flipped it from Texas A&M to Georgetown. that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. the influence of moms....
Went to the Georgetown board to see if they were saying anything about this and noticed this post as well this afternoon, shortly after Meyer changed his CB pick to Georgetown:

Quote:

Interesting that Patrick Ewing Jr just followed Leblanc on twitter even though he hasn't been active on the site for almost three years...

Ugh...we've seen how influential mommas can be in these things before, both in our favor and not. Looking suspicious now like this one is going to work against us.
lbasham
AG
After what Pumpkin saw, the Georgetown site quoted him thru a tweet that he is reopening his options and will sign in the Spring. Oh my.
Pumpkinhead
AG
lbasham said:

After what Pumpkin saw, the Georgetown site quoted him thru a tweet that he is reopening his options and will sign in the Spring. Oh my.

From afar, looks like may be a situation where kid is not sold on Georgetown, mom is not sold on Texas A&M...they can't be comfortable together with either choice, so deciding to delay. Honestly, if that is the situation, then definitely best thing for them to do. It is a big decision and you want to be sure.

I need the actual real basketball season to start soon so that I can get distracted from the recruiting roller coaster...Except for the recruiting scandal drama...I'm still all-in on following that...kind of like a Law & Order episode.

mdanyc03
AG
Georgetown is going to go 0 for the big east so we will see what impact that has.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Georgetown is going to go 0 for the big east so we will see what impact that has.
For Ags staying in the picture, might depend on whether mom was merely Pro-Georgetown, not anti-Texas A&M. If she had some serious hang up with LeBlanc going to College Station then who knows if more time or effort would help the cause much. We'll see if the staff continues working on him, getting him in for a game or two, and so forth.
LawHall88
AG
Hop
Staff
AG
I'm hearing from my source that A&M is still the preferred choice...just working through some things. I still wouldn't rule out signing in the early signing period. That's just my opinion. We'll see...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.