***Recruiting Thread***

214,918 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I think the staff will take five in this class. It sounds like Trocha is likely leaving after this season, so they likely need two bigs...Kevin Samuel is an option.

Starks, Jasey, Flagg, Bailey, Samuel...I'd take that all day long.

That would be one of the better hauls we've had from a pure talent perspective. Not nearly as good as the 2015 haul, and not as good as the 2016 haul either if they all qualify, but still a good overall class which would help keep the pipeline stocked with quality talent.

I would question how Jasey and Samuel would fit on the same floor offensively. You can't afford to be too picky when it comes to landing legit bigs with some athleticism, but spacing and post offense in general could be a concern when it comes to playing two low post players with "developing" offensive games.
suburban cowboy
AG
A name to keep an eye on -- Garrison Brooks
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Sure looks like probably Auburn for Brooks. pearl is putting together a fantastic 2017 class there.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:

Sure looks like probably Auburn for Brooks. pearl is putting together a fantastic 2017 class there.
Where are you seeing that? Because I thought Miss State and UGA were the leaders.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where are you seeing that? Because I thought Miss State and UGA were the leaders.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/auburn-university-stepping-up-recruitment-of-auburn-high-s-garrison/article_c9592fac-538e-11e6-8c7d-4f41ca85f3e0.html

Just my own gut feel right now due to reports like this one the past couple of weeks. Pearl has apparently gone all-in for Brooks and the other 2017 AU commits are joining in.

He just did yet another unofficial to Auburn a few days ago (and from the reports has been on the Auburn campus this summer by far the most of any school...obviously Pearl had a huge proximity advantage in that regard).

quote:
The Tigers have amped up their recruitment of the 6-foot-10, 220-pound power forward, who has garnered a total of 18 scholarship offers to play collegiate basketball, including one from Auburn. In the month of July, the Tigers have had a representative in attendance at every one of Brooks' games a majority of the time, it has been Pearl on Brooks' recruitment trail and it's not as if they've all been around the corner. In addition to playing in Vegas, Brooks traveled with Birmingham-based Team Carroll for games in Atlanta, South Carolina and Cartersville this past month.

"[Auburn] coming to my games and all the phone calls, it means a lot," Brooks said.
Brooks and Pearl already have a budding relationship. The two chat on the phone often. "Like every two days," Brooks said.

The conversations are usually about "how I can be an impact guy when I come in," Brooks said, "and just getting to know each other better."

Brooks said he plans to have a meeting with Pearl at the university sometime in August. He also plans to be in attendance for the Auburn football team's opening game against Clemson on Sept. 3 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

For Brooks, there are many attractive aspects about playing for Auburn: the proximity to home, playing in the SEC, and the promise of the team's already impressive 2017 recruiting class. So far, the Tigers have reeled in five-star recruit Austin Wiley and four-star recruits Davion Mitchell and Chuma Okeke.

"It'd be nice to be a part of that class," Brooks said. "It'd be good to play down the road from home and being able to see my mom all the time. I like that I'd be about to just play and do what I do best."

Now, we did get him to give us that official so I suppose there is a chance, but I'll go with guessing Pearl on this one, given how hard he is working on Brooks and if mom wants him really close to home then sure seems like mom wins a lot of the time.

It is recruiting, so who really the heck knows. There are always surprises, but between Auburn and then his dad at Miss State and so forth, I just don't like our chances at all here despite us getting an official official. Sure seems like a real uphill run against a ton of odds in how these recruiting things typically play out.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Is Corprew finally in?
GE
AG
quote:
Is Corprew finally in?
why do you ask? Did you see something indicating he might be in?
Tamu_mgm
AG
Just curious. Is there a deadline by which we will know like start of the season I guess? Is grad qualification the main issue?
Hop
Staff
AG
Houston post prospect Kevin Samuel who had A&M on his list of 4-5 schools, committed to TCU this morning. Dixon is putting together a pretty good class.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Houston post prospect Kevin Samuel who had A&M on his list of 4-5 schools, committed to TCU this morning. Dixon is putting together a pretty good class.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1675626-pangos-three-prioritizing-2017-kevin-samuel

TCU not even mentioned by Samuel as a school recruiting him in early June.

quote:
Samuel listed three schools recruiting him the hardest.
"Boise State, Texas A&M and Houston," Samuel said, before breaking down what he likes about each of them.

Things sure can shift fast in the recruiting world. I wonder if landing Jasey hurt us here.
Hop
Staff
AG
This kid has only been in the states a year and sometimes it's the first school to get them in for a visit that gets the commit. When I spoke to him in mid-July, he hadn't visited any schools and still hadn't taken the SAT/ACT.

I think Garrison Brooks is the big A&M wants and he's visiting on their big weekend on September 3. He has a post IQ like Tyler Davis. I assume they are selling him on being the next Tyler Davis. I like him more than Samuel because he's ready-made to contribute day one. Samuel has a big future upside, but he's still a bit raw and inexperienced.

Of course, the big question is can they get him. I get the vibe they think they can get him. His dad is an assistant coach at MSU and he's going to high school in Auburn, AL. Georgia is also showing up on his radar. I don;t know. Some sons/fathers want to play together. Others think that complicates the situation and feel going somewhere else is better for the kid. Who knows...but A&M secured an official visit for the biggest weekend of the fall recruiting period so that should tell you something.

phorizt
who else is visiting 9/3 and why is that considered the biggest recruiting weekend of the Fall?
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
who else is visiting 9/3 and why is that considered the biggest recruiting weekend of the Fall?

It's the first weekend players can take official visits, and A&M doesn't have an attractive home game to bring in recruits until the Tennessee game on October 8...less than a month before the signing period. Most basketball official visits with top targets are usually scheduled for September.

The 2016 football schedule is not favorable in that respect...not many options.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop, or somebody who maybe knows, just curious...is there any limit on the number of official visits that a school can pay for during a particular recruiting cycle? I assume they budget for so many. Is the 5 visits-per recruit pretty much the only limit? Coaches can bring in as many recruits for officials as they want (assuming they have convinced the recruit to allocate one of his five to them)?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Isiah Jasey mentioned when he committed that the staff was trying to get him to take his official visit that weekend.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
Hop, or somebody who maybe knows, just curious...is there any limit on the number of official visits that a school can pay for during a particular recruiting cycle? I assume they budget for so many. Is the 5 visits-per recruit pretty much the only limit? Coaches can bring in as many recruits for officials as they want (assuming they have convinced the recruit to allocate one of his five to them)?
In football there is a limit of the number of official visitors you can host but it is a high number that nobody ever runs up against. I assume the same is true in basketball.

I'd think that hosting official visitors is a tiny percentage of the recruiting budget compared to all of the travel costs for the coaches for evaluations and visits. Hopefully we aren't putting our $2 million/ a year coach with Parkinson's syndrome up in the Candlewood Suites.
LawHall88
AG
quote:
12 official visits for basketball.
Hop
Staff
AG
Back to Brooks...Auburn already has a stud Top 15-20 6-foot-10 center from Alabama rated higher. As we can attest w Thomas, big men don't want another highly-rated big men in their same class.

And I really don't think A&M would put in a lot of resources and time into recruiting Brooks if they felt it was a done deal the kid was going to play for his father at MSU.

I really think the staff needs to sign a second post, especially if Trocha has a chance to go pro.
jja79
AG
Anything on Corprew and Caldwell?
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
Anything on Corprew and Caldwell?
No news is not good news.
GE
AG

Caldwell retweeted this. Still has TAMU Basketball #4 in his Twitter bio. At least as of the 8th it seems like he thought he would play this season.
Method Man
Rothstein is such a fluffer.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Kennedy in his most recent interview on the radio, oh 3-4 weeks ago, said that the guys were still finishing up some summer coursework (I got the impression at least Corprew was). Once I heard that, I figured we probably wouldn't hear anything by late August at the earliest, because presumably those summer courses that were still ongoing at least as of late July would first need to be completed and those results then fed into whatever decision process the NCAA has.

I remember Kennedy also saying something like 'oh, it is typical NCAA stuff going on, like Cheick Diallo last year'.

The Diallo case last year was a pretty messy one that did not get cleared by the NCAA until November 25th (he missed the Jayhawks' first four games). Hopefully we don't have some situation like that where things drag on with seemingly little information from the NCAA for months.
Iced-T14
AG
Caldwell just posted-and then deleted- a tweet that said "Finally [basketball emoji]"
Method Man
Need a screenshot. See if you can still see it.
Iced-T14
AG
It's gone. Twitter won't let me load any more tweets, but it was there
Method Man
Ok. Thanks for trying.
agfan1030
Saw a tweet where he commented..... 2 days left in Houston
Gap
AG
From JJ about an hour ago:

Hop
Staff
AG
I don't think there's much question if he will be at A&M this fall. The issue is whether he'll be eligible to play.
DTP02
AG
quote:
I don't think there's much question if he will be at A&M this fall. The issue is whether he'll be eligible to play.

With the NCAA back to allowing what is essentially a PQ, Caldwell should be able to practice with the team while he works through the eligibility stuff at least. Wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't become eligible until December as long as he was practicing the whole time.
Pumpkinhead
AG
First day of Fall classes is August 29. Per Caldwell's tweets, he tweeted 'only 2 more days in Houston' yesterday, he is coming to College Station tomorrow or Monday to get ready for the start of school.

I am guessing that he probably will be at least (if not already) cleared to practice and participate in workouts. Which is the most important thing obviously for the next couple of months.

He is a frequent tweeter so it won't be that hard to know soon if he's doing workouts or not.
agfan1030
JJ Caldwell15h15 hours ago College Station, TX
Feels great to be in Cstat
43 likes

Hop
Staff
AG
Texas Pro shooting guard/wing Jase Febres from Spring Westfield shot up several recruiting lists...way up to No. 47 on Scout's new Class of 2017 list. He unofficially visited A&M about three weeks ago and the Aggies made his top 5 recently along w Texas, Stanford, Cal, and UH.

Kid has an incredibly smooth and quick release...especially the shot at 00:37.

suburban cowboy
AG
Got a chance to get an update on Savion Flagg yesterday.

He is currently prepping for the ACT, after scoring a 1260 on his first attempt at the SAT -- he'a a bright kid.
I was told something very unexpected would have to happen for him not to end up at A&M.

One other nugget -- Savion is the cousin of Marvin Wilson. Apparently, Marvin is much higher on the Ags than some may think.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.