***Recruiting Thread***

214,916 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
wacarnolds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
So he isn't a late bloomer nor is he somebody that was on the fence, at all, between scholarship player and preferred walk on.

quote:
It's sounding like he's going to A&M. I think the question is whether he's on scholarship or a preferred walk-on.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:
quote:
So he isn't a late bloomer nor is he somebody that was on the fence, at all, between scholarship player and preferred walk on.

quote:
It's sounding like he's going to A&M. I think the question is whether he's on scholarship or a preferred walk-on.

That was before anybody knew what was going on.
greg.w.h
AG
To summarize on Caleb:

1. Caldwell and Hampton are committed and both expected to play the 1 primarily.

2. Caleb Smith is a capable 1 that has state championship experience and then transferred out of state to get his academics in order. Is not likely to be a lottery pick and therefore is not likely to leave after one year no matter how much playing time he gets.

3. Caldwell possibly hasn't been cleared for matriculation. Smith likely will be available in Summer II.

So, in essence, Smith is at a minimum an insurance policy and at maximum could be an eventual starter even if Caldwell makes it in on time. But it seems--looking forward--that Caldwell continues to be the likely starter if all goes well? Or is Hampton the likely starter due to experience?
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
That was before anybody knew what was going on.
Yes, a day before he was officially linked to A&M, there apparently were discussions about scholarship/no scholarship.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
But it seems--looking forward--that Caldwell continues to be the likely starter if all goes well? Or is Hampton the likely starter due to experience?
Unless Caldwell is a stud day 1, I'd expect Hampton to be the starter. Most grad transfers don't go somewhere they won't play a lot, and the PG position is traditionally not a position where you look to have a platoon.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
To summarize on Caleb:

1. Caldwell and Hampton are committed and both expected to play the 1 primarily.

2. Caleb Smith is a capable 1 that has state championship experience and then transferred out of state to get his academics in order. Is not likely to be a lottery pick and therefore is not likely to leave after one year no matter how much playing time he gets.

3. Caldwell possibly hasn't been cleared for matriculation. Smith likely will be available in Summer II.

So, in essence, Smith is at a minimum an insurance policy and at maximum could be an eventual starter even if Caldwell makes it in on time. But it seems--looking forward--that Caldwell continues to be the likely starter if all goes well? Or is Hampton the likely starter due to experience?
Per Hop on the radio this morning:

- Caleb Smith has been ruled eligible by NCAA and 100% will be joining the team for the second summer session.

- Caldwell has not been ruled eligible by the NCAA yet. The staff seems very optimistic that he will be but until he is cleared then obviously you can't be 100% confident. Hop was told that Smith was an independent opportunity and not 'Caldwell insurance'. The issue was more that Hampton is a grad transfer and thus they would be back to 1 point guard on the roster again next season so they were looking to add another this signing class if they found a guy that they liked.

- Caleb Smith was a guy that Kennedy personally saw play when he went up against Admon Gilder in the state semi-finals, and Kennedy liked his game and went after him once he was ruled eligible in this May.

- Corprew has more hurdles apparently to get ruled eligible by the NCAA than Caldwell. They feel like the chances are good that he will clear but 'hurdles' remain.

---
Based on what I've read and heard on the radio, my general take on the roster situation as of today regarding the new guys joining the team:

- Robert Williams is already on campus and impressing in workouts. Good to go.
- Hampton and Caleb Smith 100% will be joining the team in Summer Session II.
- Have seen no indication that there will be any issues with Vila's eligibility. An article on Vila seemed to indicate that he would be flying over soon to join the team in the second summer session.
- Caldwell *probably* will be ruled eligible soon and joining the team in the second summer session.
- Corprew is the most likely to not pass NCAA clearing house, but the still a reasonable chance that things will work out.
txag72
AG
quote:
quote:
Transfers bother fans at lot less if the coach is winning games.
Agree completely.
C'mon, it's all about if it's a substantial upgrade. I think all of the transfers under BK have been substantial upgrades with the jury out still at PG, but looks good on paper finally.
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

And sources close to the program quickly corrected me. I thought that originally because he apparently has been making plans to be here for summer session II for over a week now and the program to this day hasn't announced his signing. Just seemed strange...
BBDP
AG
Did not see in mentioned above but Caleb smith is one of those 'Mark Cuban' kids (his brother-in-law raised 3 or 4 kids including Caleb). I am not sure who the brother-in-law is (wife's brother or sister's brother). Mark's wife is an Aggie.

Odd situation.
Aston04
AG
quote:
Have seen no indication that there will be any issues with Vila's eligibility. An article on Vila seemed to indicate that he would be flying over soon to join the team in the second summer session.

Does Vila need to pass any further tests to qualify?? The name of it escapes me (don't live in Texas anymore), but it's the test that can especially trip up the English as 2nd language kids...
GE
AG
quote:
quote:
Have seen no indication that there will be any issues with Vila's eligibility. An article on Vila seemed to indicate that he would be flying over soon to join the team in the second summer session.

Does Vila need to pass any further tests to qualify?? The name of it escapes me (don't live in Texas anymore), but it's the test that can especially trip up the English as 2nd language kids...
TOEFL? I would imagine that coming from a western European country and being educated in the system he was educated in he should have a pretty good understanding of the English language. Could be wrong, but I feel much more confident in him than I would someone from South or central America
LawHall88
AG
More on Savion Flagg:

quote:
When it comes to his recruitment, Flagg said, "Things have picked up. I have offers from Texas A&M, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Creighton, Purdue, Wake Forest, and some SEC Schools."

Texas A&M is located close to Flagg's home, and it is a school that is very much on the radar for him.

"It is the school I have visited the most," said Flagg. "So they stand out because I know them the best. They have a great campus and I fit in well there academically."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1681866-major-interest-continues-to-come-in-for-flagg
GE
AG
quote:
More on Savion Flagg:

quote:
When it comes to his recruitment, Flagg said, "Things have picked up. I have offers from Texas A&M, Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Creighton, Purdue, Wake Forest, and some SEC Schools."

Texas A&M is located close to Flagg's home, and it is a school that is very much on the radar for him.

"It is the school I have visited the most," said Flagg. "So they stand out because I know them the best. They have a great campus and I fit in well there academically."

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1681866-major-interest-continues-to-come-in-for-flagg
Love it. Seems like our coaches generally are good at keeping visits and such out of the spotlight. For him to say it's the school he has visited the most and us not having heard about most if not all of those visits us pretty impressive. As long as the results continue to be top notch, I'm all for it

The other thing from the article worth noting is he is cutting his list to 5 in July and plans on committing in October. That means he will likely sign in the early signing period. Always nice to get guys in the bag officially that early
mdanyc03
AG
Jaedon Ledee on campus today. High four star 2018 from Houston.
GE
AG
quote:
Jaedon Ledee on campus today. High four star 2018 from Houston.
Not a bad offer list. Arizona, Kentucky, and Kansas at the top. Hopefully we can have a good showing and put ourselves in contention. Has to be a good thing that he visited the sips yesterday and can see the stark difference between that place and us.
Hop
Staff
AG
Ladee on-campus is a big deal. He's an elite prospect.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Savion Flagg is a 2017 Top-60-ish nationally rated guy by the recruiting services and someone whom Kennedy has made a high priority for a long time. Hopefully A&M getting in on him pretty early and the proximity to home pays off.
LawHall88
AG
Wow.

quote:
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 15s16 seconds ago

BREAKING: Five-Star 2017 big man Mitchell Robinson told @CBSSports that he has committed to Western Kentucky. Huge get for Rick Stansbury.
wacarnolds
AG
quote:
Wow.
Wow indeed. Further confirmation that Stansbury is a stud recruiter.
The Collective
AG
Damn. That's a huge pull.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
Damn. That's a huge pull.
meh. Only the highest ranked basketball recruit in WKU history. The WKU basketball message board is probably going zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz right now.
Method Man
Ags best class ever and now WKU best player ever. No biggie.
jja79
AG
Clem Haskins or Jim MCDaniel.
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:

Stansbury was not the primary recruiter on those 2015 HS kids. His hiring probably helped the story and he was definitely instrumental in getting House but the Dallas guys was a lot of work by a lot of guys and the Avery Johnson family was being recruited before Stansbury showed up.
hoya-ag
AG
phorizt
2017 SG RJ Nembhard has committed to TCU. Not sure how hard we were after him right now but he's a guy who we offered last year.

Also, looks like we offered 2 new 2017 big men:

6'9" Brandon Huffman- from Anchorage but plays at Word of God in NC I believe
6'10" Josh Carlton- from NC but plays at Dematha in MD
GE
AG
quote:
2017 SG RJ Nembhard has committed to TCU. Not sure how hard we were after him right now but he's a guy who we offered last year.

Also, looks like we offered 2 new 2017 big men:

6'9" Brandon Huffman- from Anchorage but plays at Word of God in NC I believe
6'10" Josh Carlton- from NC but plays at Dematha in MD
Haven't we gotten someone from Dematha before? Naji maybe?
mdanyc03
AG
I believe Naji was from Gonzaga, wasn't he? Same high school as Kris Jenkins.
mdanyc03
AG
Probably premature, but I get the feeling that purple baylor is going to supplant green baylor in Texas recruiting and eventually on the court.
phorizt
Naji was from Dematha.
deh40
AG
quote:
quote:
Wow.
Wow indeed. Further confirmation that Stansbury is a stud recruiter.
Or confirmation that hiring the recruit's godfather paid off.
mdanyc03
AG
You are right. My bad.

He was also about the fourth best player on his high school team, as I recall. And still a four star recruit.
Method Man
quote:
quote:

Stansbury was not the primary recruiter on those 2015 HS kids. His hiring probably helped the story and he was definitely instrumental in getting House but the Dallas guys was a lot of work by a lot of guys and the Avery Johnson family was being recruited before Stansbury showed up.

Whatever helps you sleep at night and no I don't care what the kids said in their quotes.
mdanyc03
AG
In other words, you formed your opinion based on no evidence and are going to hold onto it even when the evidence indicates otherwise?
Pumpkinhead
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Whatever helps you sleep at night and no I don't care what the kids said in their quotes.
I sleep fine!

Avery Johnson Jr. committed to Texas A&M on April 14th, 2014

http://fansided.com/2014/04/12/college-basketball-recruiting-avery-johnson-jr-commits-texas-aggies/

Rick Stansbury announced as accepting the A&M job on May 7th, 2014

http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=33199

Was Stansbury critical to sign Avery Johnson Jr? A kid who was borderline scholarship worthy but oh, just happened to be best buddies with a couple of elite 2015 recruits at Plano West high school?

Look Stansbury is a great recruiter. Absolutely all the evidence points to him getting Danuel House on the roster which was a major get that paid off the last two years. But he wasn't the end all and be all of the getting that 2015 recruiting class signed. Lots of people and factors were involved. There is plenty of evidence pointing to that including, yes, even what the kids said themselves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.