***Recruiting Thread***

214,927 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
LonghornsNo1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
By the way, if A&M signs EITHER (or Grimes obviously), that would make 3 years in a row the Aggies got a top 5 player out of the greater Houston area. Being a hotbed for basketball talent, that's pretty big IMO, especially when all were recruited heavily nationally.

And if you get Kopp, that's 3 years in a row you get arguably the best player from the Houston Defenders program.
Pumpkinhead
AG

Jaedon LeDee

Measurements - USA Basketball 2016
Height w/ shoes - 6'8"
Wingspan - 6'9.5"
Weight - 213 lbs

He is now being listed as 6'9" in some 2017 info.

Current Recruiting Rankings

ESPN: #60 (4-Star)
247 Sports: #94 (4-Star)
Scout: #137 (3-Star)
Rivals: #87 (4-Star)
247 Sports Composite: #117 (4-Star)

Seems is specifically Scout's ranking that pulled his composite ranking out of Top-100 nationally.

Crystal Ball Activity

On August 12th, 3 analysts made picks to Texas A&M, two of them Duke recruiting guys.

Most Recent Offers:

August 2nd (2017) - Oregon State (PAC 12)
July 9th (2017) - Ohio State (Big 10)

Per LeDee in a Recruiting Article in July 19th 2017

Quote:

The 6-foot-9 Kinkaid School product stated Iowa State, UCLA, California, Marquette, Houston, and LSU as some of the programs that are coming after him the hardest.

Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead-90 said:

Hop or Longhorn, just curious, if you could only land one of either Kopp or LeDee, which recruit would you prefer?
He's a junk yard dog type in the paint because he has some handle for a big guy. He can also hit the outside shot. If he was just a little longer, he'd be an elite prospect. He doesn't have quite the arm length you'd prefer from your big guns...but he's so athletic he can be one of those grinders in the middle that can do a lot of damage.
Hop, would a potential Jalen Jones type being a decent rough comparison for LeDee to a recent Aggie player?

Jones was not even 6'7" without exceptional length, and was stuck in a 'tweener' situation between not quite skilled enough for a college wing, but good handles and decent shot for a college PF type. And was a really good athlete who definitely had a 'junk yard dog' style to his game.

If LeDee's likely profile looks like a Jalen Jones kind of guy (yet a couple of inches taller than Jones was) seems like would be really good college recruiting pickup.
Hop
Staff
AG
That's a fair comparison. LeDee may have slightly better perimeter skills. I could be wrong, but I watched him and Texas Pro play a game in Duncanville earlier this summer and he didn't look 6-9" to me. They have a Bryan kid playing for them( Zach Nutall) that doesn't have many top offers, but I thought he was a nice prospect worthy of mid-tier D-1 offers.
zooguy96
If we could get another JJ, I'd take that all day.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Two more recruiting analysts (including Jerry Meyer of 247) added CR picks yesterday saying Jeadon LeDee to Texas A&M.

That is continuing trend of a bunch of picks in the last few days for this kid saying Texas A&M. CR you gotta take with a bunch of grain of salt, but definitely is 'smoke' worthwhile to keep an eye on when you see a bunch of picks suddenly come in for one school after inactivity on the kids CR predictions since Dec. 2016.
miller0926
AG

Top 8 for LeDee
Method Man
Pumpkinhead
AG
miller0926 said:

Top 8 for LeDee

A bit odd though that he doesn't have an official visit set with us:

Quote:

Lowe confirmed to Rivals.com that LeDee will start off his official visits by checking out Ohio State on the weekend of September ninth. The next weekend he will head out west to see California. His other two scheduled visits are for LSU on the weekend of September 30th and UCLA on the weekend of October sixth.

So...the good news on this guy is...a bunch of recruiting analysts on 247 Crystal Ball for some reason started saying Aggies around mid-August. And in terms of talent, regardless of rankings on various recruiting services (which has a variance of top-60 nationally by ESPN to #164 nationally by Scout)...it looks like some other major programs like Ohio State, Cal, UCLA, and LSU are legitimately offering him with official visits. LeDee certainly seems like would be a really good pickup.

The bad news is...the Aggies showing up on Crystal Ball seemed to come suddenly out of left field and the rule of thumb is 'no official visit = no recruit'. Sure, the kid is in Houston and has been to College Station before, but a recruit setting up a bunch of official visits but not including us generally isn't a good sign.

I'm now skeptical about where A&M stands with this guy, regardless of the Crystal Ball stuff.
mdanyc03
AG
I think the way that I would look at is if all the crystal balls are coming in for a&m and he has four visits scheduled that the fifth one will be a&m. Seems like you are over analyzing a bit.
Pumpkinhead
AG
mdanyc03 said:

I think the way that I would look at is if all the crystal balls are coming in for a&m and he has four visits scheduled that the fifth one will be a&m. Seems like you are over analyzing a bit.
We are in Top-8 when didn't seem to be on this kid's radar before and there is that Crystal Ball pick thing which I assume means at least one of those recruiting analysts heard something that made them think A&M was in a good position.

But right now he has four official visits, none to College Station. So kind of a mixed bag there as a sports fan trying to read tea-leaves as of 8/22 on this guy.

Pumpkinhead
AG
A guy that we do have an official visit with is this guy:

combo guard Keyshawn Embery - September 29th

Miller Kopp so far only has 1 official visit scheduled...to Butler on September 1.
mdanyc03
AG
When were we not on his radar?
Pumpkinhead
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Let me rephrase, for the recruiting analysts types, including guys like Hop who specifically follow A&M, LeDee seemed to just recently pop up as a legit possibility for Aggies this August. Hop a few weeks back posted a list of several basketball recruiting targets on Premium and did not have LeDee at that time. And then later said it was a bit of a surprise regarding these recent A&M CR picks for LeDee.

LeDee visited College Station at least once early this year (I think for the home game vs. Kentucky). So they have clearly been working on him awhile. I meant more that the 'hey wait, we may actually get this guy' angle seems like a recent development.
Hop
Staff
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

mdanyc03 said:

Let me rephrase, for the recruiting analysts types, including guys like Hop who specifically follow A&M, LeDee seemed to just recently pop up as a legit possibility for Aggies this August. Hop a few weeks back posted a list of several basketball recruiting targets on Premium and did not have LeDee at that time. And then later said it was a bit of a surprise regarding these recent A&M CR picks for LeDee.

LeDee visited College Station at least once early this year (I think for the home game vs. Kentucky). So they have clearly been working on him awhile. I meant more that the 'hey wait, we may actually get this guy' angle seems like a recent development.
I interviewed Kopp last week and he was in College Station the first weekend in August, and I suspect A&M will get an official at some point. I've heard LeDee's father wants him close to home. My guess is he's getting his long distance free trips out of the way early and it will come down to A&M, LSU, UH.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mdanyc03 said:

I interviewed Kopp last week and he was in College Station the first weekend in August, and I suspect A&M will get an official at some point. I've heard LeDee's father wants him close to home. My guess is he's getting his long distance free trips out of the way early and it will come down to A&M, LSU, UH.
Good to hear Hop. I was fighting my skepticism hoping the situation was something along those lines.

I would like to think that it would typically be an almost no-brainer decision to choose A&M over Cougar High between just those two. Unless dad wants him SUPER close to home.
LonghornsNo1
New ESPN Top 100 out today. LeDee up 1 to #59 and Kopp debuts on the list at 100.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings
jml2621
Pumpkinhead said:

Hop said:

Pumpkinhead-90 said:

Hop or Longhorn, just curious, if you could only land one of either Kopp or LeDee, which recruit would you prefer?
He's a junk yard dog type in the paint because he has some handle for a big guy. He can also hit the outside shot. If he was just a little longer, he'd be an elite prospect. He doesn't have quite the arm length you'd prefer from your big guns...but he's so athletic he can be one of those grinders in the middle that can do a lot of damage.
Hop, would a potential Jalen Jones type being a decent rough comparison for LeDee to a recent Aggie player?

Jones was not even 6'7" without exceptional length, and was stuck in a 'tweener' situation between not quite skilled enough for a college wing, but good handles and decent shot for a college PF type. And was a really good athlete who definitely had a 'junk yard dog' style to his game.

If LeDee's likely profile looks like a Jalen Jones kind of guy (yet a couple of inches taller than Jones was) seems like would be really good college recruiting pickup.
Jalen was a 3 who had to play the four. Just needed a better outside shot and more lateral quickness. In fairness, he was chained to the post too much in his first year. Fatigue affected his shot.
Pumpkinhead
AG
LonghornsNo1 said:

New ESPN Top 100 out today. LeDee up 1 to #49 and Kopp debuts on the list at 100.

LeDee actually #59. Looks like ESPN addressed that issue we discussed here of having Kopp before being ranked 15th in the state of Texas. Now Kopp is ranked only behind Grimes, LeDee, Matt Mayer, Jacobi Gordon, & Gerald Liddell in the state by ESPN for class of 2018.

Yesterday, a Scout guy added his 247 Crystal Ball pick for LeDee to be Texas A&M. Continuing the trend of (since August) all CR picks going to Texas A&M.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jaedon-LeDee-at-The-Kinkaid-School-141123/CurrentExpertPredictions

LeDee's rankings (see below) by the recruiting services are generally Top-100 right now. Except for Scout who is not nearly as high on him for some reason.

ESPN #59
247: #93
Rivals: #85
Scout: #164
LonghornsNo1
Pumpkinhead said:

LonghornsNo1 said:

New ESPN Top 100 out today. LeDee up 1 to #49 and Kopp debuts on the list at 100.

LeDee actually #59. Looks like ESPN addressed that issue we discussed here of having Kopp ranked 15th in the state of Texas. Now Kopp is ranked only behind Grimes, LeDee, Matt Mayer, Jacobi Gordon, & Gerald Liddell in the state by ESPN for class of 2018.

Yesterday, a Scout guy added his 247 Crystal Ball pick for LeDee to be Texas A&M. Continuing the trend of (since August) all CR picks going to Texas A&M.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Jaedon-LeDee-at-The-Kinkaid-School-141123/CurrentExpertPredictions

LeDee's rankings by the recruiting services are generally Top-100 right now. Except for Scout who is not nearly as high on him for some reason.

ESPN #59
247: #93
Rivals: #85
Scout: #164

Yeah that was a typo. Jae was 60 on previous list.
miller0926
AG
Final 5 for Javian Fleming

LawHall88
AG
Hop said:

Pumpkinhead said:

mdanyc03 said:

Kopp is visiting this week:

Quote:

Kopp, who cut his list to six last month, also has official visits planned to Texas A&M (Sept. 8-10) and Northwestern (Sept. 15-17). He is also considering Georgetown, Michigan, and Vanderbilt.
Quote:

Texas A&M: "They're an hour and a half drive from my house so I've been on campus a lot and the coaches are good guys. They've got a good plan for me."
http://d1vision.com/miller-kopp-butler-visit/
LawHall88
AG
So turns out the news of 2018 PF Reggie Chaney's visit has been briefed in detail already by Hop, so I'll delete that link and add this instead:

This is a quote from LeDee regarding his recruitment:

Quote:

Texas A&M: "They want me to come in and have a chance to play from the start. Be able to fill in that 4/3 role. They have been with me since the 8th grade so they really know my game."
http://elevatehoops.com/portfolio/jaedon-ledee-speaks-on-final-eight-schools/
LawHall88
AG
More on Kopp:

Quote:

A headliner for the talented Houston Defenders unit this past summer, Kopp was one of the top scorers on the Under Armour circuit. Averaging over 20 points and five rebounds, Kopp narrowed his list to six schools last month, a group consisting of Michigan, Texas A&M, Butler, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown.

Following his visit to Butler last weekend, the next several days look to be a busy one for Kopp and his family.

September 8: Texas A&M (official visit)
September 10: Northwestern (in-home visit)
September 11: Michigan (in-home visit)
September 13: Butler (in-home visit)
September 15: Northwestern (official visit)

A visit is in the makings for Michigan in October. Expect for a fall commitment and an early signing come November.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/miller-kopp-schedules-official-and-in-home-visits
LawHall88
AG
miller0926 said:

Fleming set his visit:

mallen
AG
Hopefully Kopp will make his decision in the next 2 weeks rather than waiting until October for a Michigan visit. I guess it's interesting to take road trips but if Michigan isn't in his top 2 after this week, he may figure out that it's not worth his time now that school is in full swing.
LawHall88
AG
Leblanc and Embery visiting this weekend as well:

Pumpkinhead
AG

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88 said:

miller0926 said:

Fleming set his visit:

Never mind...

deh40
AG
Any updates on the visitors from this weekend?
LawHall88
AG
Looks like it is between us and Arky for Keyshawn Embery:

LawHall88
AG
LawHall88
AG
Class of 2019 SG:

GE
AG
LawHall88 said:

Class of 2019 SG:

Was that one of the guys that was in the video with TJ Starks over the summer? Name sounds familiar.
mdanyc03
AG
Correct. He works out with Tyler Relph who also works with Tyler, DJ, TJ and several other guys we are recruiting like Reggie Cheney.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.