***Recruiting Thread***

214,959 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by deh40
mallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since he is reclassifying, I'm wondering if Markell would be a good candidate for a red shirt next season.
jja79
AG
I understand JJ Caldwell is not yet qualified.
txag614
quote:
Great.
mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Since he isn't on campus and home schooled, I assumed that was the case.

So..... Do you actually know anything about the situation?

Since I hadn't heard too much about it I was assuming he had a credit or two he was making up right now and we would see him summer II.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Logan was just on TexAgs Radio and he said that he expected all the new guys to be in College Station for summer session #2. Said that Robert Williams was the only new player who was already working out with the team during summer session #1.

That information from Logan mostly lines up with Caldwell twitting out 'soon' a couple of days ago with a photo of his A&M locker name plate, Hampton's high school coach being quoted in an interview that Hamption would be joining the team for the second summer session, and an article about Eric Vila mentioning that he would be starting his next phase of his career in the states after June 30th.

The only guy whom I haven't seen any smoke on the internet about him joining the team in July for the second summer session is Corprew.

Another thing about Logan today on TexAgs...said he watched the returning players plus Robert Williams work out and he said that he was initially skeptical about the rumors of William's having a ridiculous vertical but now has been wowed. Apparently the other players and staff are saying that Williams can put his hand over the top of the backboard and that 'they don't have a vertical stick high enough to measure him'.

mdanyc03
AG
quote:

Another thing about Logan today on TexAgs...said he watched the returning players plus Robert Williams work out and he said that he was initially skeptical about the rumors of William's having a ridiculous vertical but now has been wowed. Apparently the other players and staff are saying that Williams can put his hand over the top of the backboard and that 'they don't have a vertical stick high enough to measure him'.

Morpholino
AG
quote:
Logan was just on TexAgs Radio and he said that he expected all the new guys to be in College Station for summer session #2. Said that Robert Williams was the only new player who was already working out with the team during summer session #1.

That information from Logan mostly lines up with Caldwell twitting out 'soon' a couple of days ago with a photo of his A&M locker name plate, Hampton's high school coach being quoted in an interview that Hamption would be joining the team for the second summer session, and an article about Eric Vila mentioning that he would be starting his next phase of his career in the states after June 30th.

The only guy whom I haven't seen any smoke on the internet about him joining the team in July for the second summer session is Corprew.

Another thing about Logan today on TexAgs...said he watched the returning players plus Robert Williams work out and he said that he was initially skeptical about the rumors of William's having a ridiculous vertical but now has been wowed. Apparently the other players and staff are saying that Williams can put his hand over the top of the backboard and that 'they don't have a vertical stick high enough to make measure him'.

Williams. Wow.
Hop
Staff
AG
Markell Johnson just committed to NC State.
Method Man
Thanks hop
Hop
Staff
AG
Sounds like the staff is still in pursuit of a 2016 point guard.
Method Man
sean00
AG
Targets Hop?
jja79
AG
Does that mean something as it relates to Caldwell?
Duck Sausage
AG
Just signed this guy:

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gendersport/stats.aspx?careerid=56766ada-8c71-e411-b4d2-002655e6c45a&gendersport=boys,basketball

Method Man
I don't see that on Twitter.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Sounds like the staff is still in pursuit of a 2016 point guard.
Hop, does this have any relation to Caldwell?
Method Man
I liked that Patterson kid from Caleb Smith's school more.
Duck Sausage
AG
quote:
I don't see that on Twitter.

It's not anywhere yet. And yes, Patterson was good. That's who I was hoping for when I heard about a kid from Bridgeport tonight. Don't know what happened to him.
mdanyc03
AG
As a walk on?
sean00
AG
Patterson is going to Ranger to play for BCG. Caleb is a great kid and a hard worker. Very skilled and athletic. If he was 3 inches taller he's be on everyone's radar.
Hop
Staff
AG
I don't think it directly relates to Caldwell from the way it was explained to me. As y'all know, Caldwell wasn't enrolled in summer I and they were still working through his transcript, but sources appear fairly optimistic he'll be good to go shortly.

It sounds like they want to bring in another ballhandler into the pipeline. Remember, after next season they are back to only having one point guard.
wacarnolds
AG
Why doesn't caleb show up on any recruiting websites? He won a 4A title as a Jr playing at a basketball factory, it seems weird for no information to be out there
Gap
AG
FWIW - JJ played a lot of pick up ball at the gym where I work out. I haven't seen him there in a few weeks. I assumed he had moved on to Aggieland.
Method Man
quote:
Why doesn't caleb show up on any recruiting websites? He won a 4A title as a Jr playing at a basketball factory, it seems weird for no information to be out there

BK the silent assassin has a silent commit from a silent recruit.
Hop
Staff
AG
Here is a game tape of Smith (#24) playing for Notre Dame Prep (Mass.) this past spring.

Method Man
Hop
Staff
AG
quote:

This kid has been on a long, winding road. He was taken-in by the brother-in-law of Mark Cuban along with three other basketball youths in the Flower Mound area who had some instability in their home life. They were home-schooled for a couple of years and played together on a small AAU team Texas Lightening. When they were juniors, the mentor built a house in Bridgeport and enrolled all four kids into Bridgeport HS and the basketball team went from bad to the 4A state champion in one year.

Smith then transferred to a Massachusetts prep school to get his academics in order and he apparently was deemed academically qualified at the end of May. Since, he's visited Missouri, A&M, and for now Tech is expecting him for a visit this weekend which may change if we get confirmation of the news posted earlier.

So...this kid was never evaluated on the national AAU circuit where recruiting services see these kids. Smith made 1st team all-state along with Gilder. He won the MVP of the state tournament that year. He scored 23 points in the title game.

When I watch his tape, he looks pretty small and he's not very long at all. He pretty decent athleticism and a good skill set, but I wouldn't characterize his abilities as elite...as in a Top 75 national prospect. ON what little I've seen, I'd put him as a Top 100-150 national prospect.

FYI, our sources earlier today did NOT confirm what Duck Sausage posted. It was described to us that he's one of a couple of options the staff is considering, but I assume it will be resolved before this weekend.
Hop
Staff
AG
We don't have specific names yet, but we were told A&M is having a lot of kids visit this week.
Wearamaskaggie
AG
On another note, lol duck sausage... Didn't think I'd hear those words out of Hop's mouth.
LawHall88
AG
More on Ayo Dosunmu:

quote:
Ayo Dosunmu, Morgan Park

What Dosunmu brings to the table: An exciting talent with a whole bunch of upside left in him. The City/Suburban Hoops Report has compared his game to former prep great Frank Williams of Peoria Manual, who went on to star at Illinois.

This is a point guard with terrific size at 6-3 and a smooth way about him with the ball in his hands. With a quick first step, long strides and a killer crossover, Dosunmu is an offensive playmaker, blessed with terrific scoring skills. He's capable of setting up teammates with his natural feel and passing while also being a disruptive threat as an ISO player, both in the halfcourt and in transition.

A work in progress: His jumper has come along over the past 12 months, but it still needs to gain consistency and a mechanical tweak with his release point as he moves forward. Added strength and weight will be crucial for the next level as he absorbs contact in the lane and at the basket with his aggressiveness. But he keeps growing he's pushing towards 6-4 and will physically mature in time.

National ranking: No. 28 by Scout.com; No. 59 by ESPN.com; No. 80 by 247Sports

Recruitment: This is a list that will continue to grow as Dosunmu sports offers from Illinois, Florida State, Iowa State, Marquette, Northwestern, Saint Louis, St. John's, SMU, Texas A&M and UNLV.

Morgan Park coach Nick Irvin says: "Ayo will be in the discussion for player of the year and Mr. Basketball this year; he'll be right there with Jordan Goodwin. He's a dynamic talent and future NBA point guard."

http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2016/06/22/henricksen-finke-dosunmu-race-top-spot-class-2018/
mdanyc03
AG
Random post on Hogville about Caleb Smith, fwiw. References state championship game against Admon.

"Just got back from the State basketball tournament in San Antonio Tx. There is a player I would like for the Hogs to take a look at. He will be a Sr next year at Bridgeport HS. I have watched him play a dozen times this year and he is the best player I've seen in the county in 25 years. He was just named Class 4 A MVP at the state tournament. He is a 6'1 pt guard that can literally do anything on the court. He is a tremendous scorer, passer, ball handler, and rebounder. He may be the best rebounding guard in the state of Texas.He averaged 25 + pts and about 10 rebounds in the semifinal and final while winning the MVP award. He is a big time player who had been home schooled until this year so he's not well known YET.His team did win the Prime Time national tournament last summer. After this weekend he will be flooded with offers. I do know Tim Floyd and UTEP has been interested for a while.Can someone pass this info along to our recruiting coordinator ? Maybe Richard Davenport? This guy is a straight up baller that I am convinced is a big time prospect and a good kid. A&M's big recruit that is a top 50 national player from Dallas Madison had 2 pts at half after being guarded by this kid.(He did end up with 25 but most of those shots were 4 feet behind the arc off screens)Someone feel free to pass this info along to the right people.

For comparison's sake he reminds me of Anton Beard with better hops. I've seen him dunk on breakaways from both the left and right side. He is also left handed. Both shoot well.. Caleb may be quicker."

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=590274.0

Maybe the part I liked most was hearing about Admon hitting 3's four feet behind the arc coming off screens......
mdanyc03
AG
Here is more on Caleb Smith.

"Bridgeport defeated Madison, 68-60, as juniors Devonte Patterson and Caleb Smith combined for 52 points. Madison guard Admon Gilder, a Texas A&M signee with Aggies coach Billy Kennedy in the Alamodome watching, scored 27 points. Madison won the last two 3A titles but had to forfeit because of eligibility issues."

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/uil-state-tourney-hot-topics-bridgeport-mark-cuban/148975284
Duck Sausage
AG
Good finds
sean00
AG

Method Man

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.