Business & Investing
Sponsored by

BIO STOCKS

122,736 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EliteZags
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ACRX has taken off like a rocket ship this week. Hope some of y'all were in on it.
FHUAggie
ColinAggie said:

ACRX has taken off like a rocket ship this week. Hope some of y'all were in on it.

Missed.

Been riding the AVEO dips this week leading up to FA results within the next 14 days for a profit though...likely selling on the run-up to the news.
IrishTxAggie
AG
FHUAggie said:

ColinAggie said:

Missed.

Been riding the AVEO dips this week leading up to FA results within the next 14 days for a profit though...likely selling on the run-up to the news.
I'm staying long on AVEO. I'm crossing my fingers for the Jazz buyout.
FHUAggie
ColinAggie said:

FHUAggie said:

ColinAggie said:

Missed.

Been thinking the same but after a nice profit on the EU news I haven't wanted to press my luck too much...you got any hunch on a timeframe for that buyout? Prior to FDA decision Q1 next year?
IrishTxAggie
AG
FHUAggie said:

ColinAggie said:

FHUAggie said:

ColinAggie said:

Missed.

Been thinking the same but after a nice profit on the EU news I haven't wanted to press my luck too much...you got any hunch on a timeframe for that buyout? Prior to FDA decision Q1 next year?
I'm thinking Jazz would want to get it done before Q1. Otherwise the price may go up and attract other interested parties.
badharambe
AG
**No fundamentals on these plays**

I am playing NLNK and ICPT as technical oversold plays. Both look primed for a reversal.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Class action lawsuit against ICPT...
KC_Ag14
AG
Anyone have insight on ROKU? IPO'd recently and off to a great start
Ranger222
AG
$ECYT up 85% today!

Looks like $RGLS about to skyrocket too. Up 15% most of the day, looking to move towards $2.00. Big day for biotech stocks today to start 2017Q4
MosesHallRAB04
AG
If rgls hits 2.04 I'll double my position and sell a chunk for a nice little profit. Come on baby
BB675
AG
I am just getting in on trading. I know one thing your not supposed to do is buy stocks you know nothing about. However, it seems like there are a few on this thread worth buying. Any advice? May not even be worth my time only wanting to start with $1,000 or so.
FHUAggie
cloeren13 said:

I am just getting in on trading. I know one thing your not supposed to do is buy stocks you know nothing about. However, it seems like there are a few on this thread worth buying. Any advice? May not even be worth my time only wanting to start with $1,000 or so.
I've been learning a lot over the past year, and though I'm far from the resource or investor most on this thread are, I will say this:

Guys like ColinAggie and Ranger222 (and others, too) have been fantastic in not just raising awareness of certain companies but also willingly providing their insight into future prospects, their own personal strategies, and relevant market data/news. Definitely pay attention to what they say, and I haven't said it yet, but would like to sincerely thank them for their contributions.

With that said, my best advice is to use this thread as a great foundation of stocks to learn about. That's what I did, and then did a lot of my own research (podcasts FTW!) as well as bounced ideas off of a like-minded buddy of mine who's pretty sharp when it comes to analysis and general monetary issues. Do the same to start!

In terms of how much you have now I only started with $1k! Turned it to $1.25k, then $2k, etc., and grew it from there. For a total newbie, I'd say start with only enough money that, if you lost it all, you wouldn't put your own psyche or familial finances in any form of a pinch. Consider this "learning money", as for me, there's no better way to learn than to be hands-on, as immersed as possible.

A few things I've learned, and few things that I try to never deviate from:

1) Know that at $1k, unless you're going all-in on a low-cost stock, you're not going to see a lot of movement one way or the other. I used $1k to initial vest in a few different markets to learn, but soon realized I was going to need to make a "significant" (relatively speaking) move to really start seeing some gains. So I dabbled for about 2-3 months, just buying different stocks, learning things like support and resistance, volume, etc., and, eventually, found a stock I liked with a bright short-term outlook and went all-in (AVEO, thanks to this board, and it worked out). AVEO has a bright long(ish)-term outlook, too.

2) ALWAYS enter with an exit plan. While I think everybody here would love to maximize every last cent from a stock sale, me personally, I'm okay taking a 15% profit on a stock that may have peaked at a point where I could have had 20%. Which leads me to my next point...

3) Never cry over gains! Sure, you could have had more maybe, but take all profits, learn from each and every transaction to try and avoid pulling the trigger too soon, and don't get too caught up in the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" games. At the end of the day, you made your money work for you, and that's always a positive thing. And finally...

4) ALWAYS use a stop-loss! Set a stop-loss at an amount you feel comfortable with (I'm usually in the 5-10% max range), and then, if/as that stock creeps up do what I call "choking up" on the stock, and that's just creeping that stop-loss up incrementally as the stock price goes up. I've found few things more satisfying in investing than having my stop loss "choke up" a nice bit above my average cost!

Best of luck, keep your eyes on this thread, read/listen to as much as you can, and get in the game and start learning!
IrishTxAggie
AG
ACRX has been on a roll lately. They're saying $7 plus by the end of the year. I think there was a leak and there is a very very solid thought that the FDA will be giving them approval very soon for their new pain management drug that can only be administered on the hospital level.

I've been riding an emotional roller coaster with AVEO on rumors of a JAZZ buyout. I'm very long on them and cost averaged in at around $3.75 now. This stock is only going up be it through buyout or FDA approval for renal cell carcinoma. Already approved by the EU.

AUPH is a long play. Don't expect to make a killing on it, but it's a great hold for the time being they will likely be bought within the next 12 months.

I'm not too familiar with RGLS, but I know there are several on here that love it. I need to do a little more due diligence on it myself, but I will likely take a position in it soon.
Ranger222
AG
I think FHUAggie laid out a great outline for someone looking to jump in.

A couple of things that have helped me along the way is finding people who are smarter than me to point me in the right directions. I think you can learn a whole lot from just listening and reading. You said you weren't familiar with these companies but I and most of us weren't either when we started. I've learned a whole bunch over the last 9 or so months and still learn new things every day. That's why I love it because there is something new to learn every single day. I've built a list of people I follow on twitter who I trust or at least use for useful information -- powerpoint slides/articles/etc. that I can use to build my own research and opinion. Find articles about the companies on free websites such as seeking alpha, etc. to gain more info.

Other things I've learned -- don't try and perfectly time the market. There is just no point. Lost a bit of money early trying to do this. With an app like Robinhood its really tempting but futile. Make a purchase you feel confident in over the next few weeks/months. Biotech stocks for the most part are also more volatile then other stocks. Be ready for the 5% percentage swings that can occur daily, especially in the smaller cap stocks. Also narrow in your focus to companies that have upcoming catalysts -- that is what drives the price in the biotech world. Look for companies that have upcoming FDA decisions or are expected to release Phase III data this quarter. Also look for companies that have multiple projects in their pipelines -- that translates to more shots on goal if one happens to fail. Just recently a company had failed Phase III data and saw the stock drop from $25 to $6 in one day because that was their lone project they built the company on. That's how you could find yourself in trouble quick.

Biotech is rough to start off with, but I think there is a lot of opportunity here as the sector is reaching highs off its drop in 2015. I would recommend looking for assortment of companies following a trend such as immuno oncology or gene therapy that could be huge biotech growth drivers in the coming years and go from there.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Are any of you in biostocks also vying in any weed stocks? Canopy growth has done really well since o bought it. Too bad I didn't buy a bunch more.
FHUAggie
Looks like there are a lot of positive vibes around AVEO's looking futility analysis this AM.

Up over 9% as of typing this.
Ragoo
AG
cloeren13 said:

www.theinvestorspodcast.com
begin with episode 1 and go from there
assuming you are looking at investing and not gambling, hint you can do a little bit of both just depends on your risk.
badharambe
AG
this is america! everyone sues everyone.

i got out ICPT at 68.5 (~18%), im going to keep watching to see if it will give me another good entry in the coming days.

NLNK is interesting to me, its a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company, that had an offering yesterday evening and actually went up today, its also looking like it has the potential to make a cup back to 18$, so its definitely on watch.
OnlyForNow
AG
So with NLNK, when do you buy?
IrishTxAggie
AG
If ACRX dips back under $5 before their FDA ruling, I'll get back in on it. I think they're a 7-7.5 stock before the end of the year. I'm in several other things right now and I don't want to unload anything, but fortunately I've got some bonus money coming to me that is basically all play money and I'll toss it in the bio market.
OnlyForNow
AG
Can I ask if you're in for 1-5 grand or do you go in more than that?
BB675
AG
I see a lot of companies being thrown around. Trying to decide which one I should dive in with first...
IrishTxAggie
AG
Anytime I take a position, it's generally over $1K. I'm in some that are well above that and some that are right around there as well as some that fall between $1K-5K. But I don't have anything less than a $1K position.
OnlyForNow
AG
Gotta be willing to lose some to make more right?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Truth. I'll tell you this; currently my largest bio position is in AVEO it's well above $5K. I see them being bought out within the next 6 months.
OnlyForNow
AG
Gosh, you're much more secure in this world than I am.

I'm kicking myself for not putting 500 bucks in ECYT on Friday when I bought some other stuff, and making a bunch by selling Monday.
BB675
AG
I am getting in on AVEO. Any recommendations for a stop limit? As I mentioned above, I am a rookie...
IrishTxAggie
AG
I do not have a stop limit. It's been an emotional roller coaster for me and I am very long on this play. It's all a matter of personal tolerance. It would suck to take a bath on it, but I can afford to take the bath.
KC_Ag14
AG
Hope you folks have been in on MNKD like I have! What a week so far
BB675
AG
ColinAggie, how high do you anticipate AVEO when being bought out?
IrishTxAggie
AG
cloeren13 said:

IF THEY GET BOUGHT OUT... Jazz Pharma purchase had a rumor of $15-19/share being thrown around. I don't believe it will be that high, but it could be. Before they got in trouble with the SEC and FDA, they were a $20/share stock six years ago.
FHUAggie
ColinAggie said:

cloeren13 said:

IF THEY GET BOUGHT OUT... Jazz Pharma purchase had a rumor of $15-19/share being thrown around. I don't believe it will be that high, but it could be. Before they got in trouble with the SEC and FDA, they were a $20/share stock six years ago.
And this is what I'm waiting on after the FA results drop. Even $7-8 dollars a share from a buyout would be more than fantastic...if it hit double-digits I can't imagine a more delicious cherry to top things off.
FHUAggie
Right at close, at 16:00, there was a purchase of 934,375 shares of AVEO at a pre-market price of $4/share.
IrishTxAggie
AG
FHUAggie said:

Right at close, at 16:00, there was a purchase of 934,375 shares of AVEO at a pre-market price of $4/share.
I told y'all I was LONG....

I keed...
FHUAggie
Looks like positive Futility Analysis results for AVEO:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=219651&p=irol-newsArticleframe&ID=2305065

Tomorrow should be fun for those of us in on AVEO!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.