Business & Investing
Sponsored by

BIO STOCKS

122,717 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EliteZags
Ranger222
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here are a couple of stocks I have been following in January --

ADVM (Adverum Biosciences) -- Gene therapy company that focuses on ophthalmic (eye) diseases. Not uncommon for gene therapy companies to start with immune privileged sites and then progress to other tissues. This company has a long history that includes a failure for wet AMD some years ago, but they have since changed leadership and bought out another gene therapy company. They currently have three different indications they are trying for therapies, but all are in very early stages. The attractiveness here isn't just they have three potential shots on goal, but also their AAV (viral) vectors they use to deliver their therapies. One of the biggest challenges in gene therapy right now is delivery to specific tissues. ADVM could be a potential partner for other gene therapy companies and license out their vectors. Editas, a CRISPR company, just announced an extension of their partnership for use of their vectors as they too are targeting eye diseases for their first clinical trials. Bought in early January during a portfolio rebalance at 3.70, and is at 7 today. I would wait for a pullback before adding, but I like this longterm.

SYBX (Synlogic) -- If I were to start a biotech today, it would be Synlogic. They are using synthetic biology to engineer probiotic or beneficial bacteria to perform specific therapeutic functions. They are targeting rare metabolic diseases such as urea cycle disorders, as well as working on more ideal probiotic situations such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). They just had a recent public offering this week, and it seems that directors and institutional investors loaded up on the stock at the reduced prices. This news out today sent the stock up a big in after hours trading. I used the opportunity to start an initial position at ~9.6. This stock was trading at 23 in September and I think we will be back to 15 by March alone if you want to use it as a swing. Data (presentations) will be out in March.

Other plays I like -- Small cap stocks Viking Therapeutics (VKTX) is a 2018 play with several data readouts ahead, Leap Therapeutics (LPTX) is not properly valued under 100 million market cap as they have 9 ongoing trials and a phase III trial initiation this year. FibroGen (FGEN) which I think I've mentioned before is a mid-cap that I strongly believe in. The most interesting thing about FibroGen is they are going to be a very strong player in China, and the current projections do reflect this. Glycometrics (GLYC) is a company that had a massive re-pricing by the market in 2017, jumping from $3 in May to currently @22. They have impressive data for acute myeloid leukemia and are advancing the drug into bigger indications such as multiple myeloma. The most attractive thing about GLYC is it could be an M&A target for a larger biotech at some point in 2018, possibly before they launch their phase III trial in the second half 18.

Be on the lookout for companies that are involved in gene therapies (AAV, ZF, CRISPR), companies that can increase the speed of CAR-T production, and those looking for therapies against solid tumors. That is what is hot today.
Ranger222
AG
Oh and I forgot the reason I came back to this thread -- the once touted TGTX I pitched before it feel 20-30% in October to south of $8, is back to $12+ today. Going to run a little before critical data readout in the spring. $10 is a good buying area. Another company that could get bought out, as that is the CEO's goal. Lots of price targets out there for 3x the current price even still.

Sometimes when a stock, especially biotech, gets a 20% haircut on news that was already suspected, it presents a good buying opportunity.
aggiehunter3
AG
Ranger222 said:

Oh and I forgot the reason I came back to this thread -- the once touted TGTX I pitched before it feel 20-30% in October to south of $8, is back to $12+ today. Going to run a little before critical data readout in the spring. $10 is a good buying area. Another company that could get bought out, as that is the CEO's goal. Lots of price targets out there for 3x the current price even still.

Sometimes when a stock, especially biotech, gets a 20% haircut on news that was already suspected, it presents a good buying opportunity.
Sometimes better to be lucky than good...picked up some 2/16 $12 calls on Wednesday, and they're already up 280%

Also, admittedly this was my first week to start dabbling in options, and I had a slightly funny/sickening thing happen. I had bought Pfizer 1/26 $37.5 calls on Tuesday for .06 per contract - small $140 investment. All week the stock traded between $36.8-$37.25, so I pretty much thought they were dead. Yesterday morning I noticed at market open the stock opened up over $37.5, as I was going into a training for work. I knew I wouldn't be able to check my computer, so I went ahead and set a limit sell at .15. At lunch I checked and realized that PFE had ripped up 4%, my order executed doubling my money, but the calls were now trading at $1.4 that $140 would have been worth $2,900........
MosesHallRAB04
AG
AKAO having a nice 14% bump this morning
gigemJTH12
AG
good info! which would you buy today? I have a little play money I need to buy with
MosesHallRAB04
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

good info! which would you buy today? I have a little play money I need to buy with

I was already in AKAO. I'm still high on OBMP. I liked them at .07, added a bunch more at .03. Even though they are down to .025 or so I still like them. I clarify that by saying I am far from an expert so take it for what it's worth.

Oops saw you were asking Ranger. Better to take advise from him.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
I was looking at CRSP several weeks ago when it was at ~17. My funds were all tied up and I decided not to add more and ride out what I have. Oh well
WestTexAg12
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

I was already in AKAO. I'm still high on OBMP. I liked them at .07, added a bunch more at .03. Even though they are down to .025 or so I still like them. I clarify that by saying I am far from an expert so take it for what it's worth.

Oops saw you were asking Ranger. Better to take advise from him.

I went in with OBMP as well at .03. They're down to .19 now. What's with them?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
COAg15
AG
BPMX up 36% today
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Yeah, down to .015 right now. Woof

I honestly don't know what to expect now.
Reload8098
AG
Was there news today on OBMP?
agsdocdo
AG
Great day for BPMX !
CNH III
WestTexAg12
AG
Not that I know of. I started diggin around and couldn't find much. Something about notes though, which I didn't quite understand. If you can decifer this, that would be much appreciated lol

https://marketexclusive.com/oncbiomune-pharmaceuticals-inc-otcmktsobmp-files-an-8-k-entry-into-a-material-definitive-agreement-5/2018/01/
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
Ranger222
AG
Viking Therapeutics (VKTX) announced an offering of stock after the close yesterday. This is a bit of surprise since they had just offered to raise money just a month or two back. However, there seems to be a strong demand for the stock and the offering will be priced at around ~$5. It will be interesting to see which investors end up buying the offering. I would wait till we see 13Gs on increased ownership positions to truly know the sentiment of the stock, but all signs are pointing positive. Just look at the run MDGL has done recently, a competitor of VKTX. I'm thinking about doubling my position here.

TGTX announced data today for Phase II trial in MS with Ublituximab. This is a look at the data after 24 weeks, with the trail expected to go 52. 97.5% of subjects failed to have a relapse after 24 weeks. The MS space is big, and could present a $1 billion opportunity for the company. Entry into the MS area still is not factored into the valuation of the company, as most of the valuation is considered in their hematology programs. This name is going to start gaining buzz again, and could be worth the long term gamble. I should point out that one of the risks of the company is their management, who some view in a negative light. I think ultimately they will be bought out. Data announcement here.

During this market pullback, I'm looking to start some positions in CRISPR stocks. These are longterm plays as they are just beginning to enter into the clinic. My favorite is EDIT as it has some linkage to Celgene and Juno, as well as the only CRISPR company that is tackling eye diseases, the easiest and maybe quickest path for their FDA approval IMO.
gigemJTH12
AG
viking is up 50 cents today
Parsons Mounted 18
Any thoughts on BIOLIFE4D (3d bioprinting company) and their IPO?
MosesHallRAB04
AG
OBMP phase two trial letter of intent signed.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oncbiomune-signs-letter-intent-initiate-134516134.html;_ylc=X1MDMTE5Nzc4NDE4NQRfZXgDMQRfeXJpZAM5ZzA2Y21oZDdncmltBGcDZFhWcFpEeHVjejR6TjJZMVpURTBPUzA0TURJeExUTmlZekl0WVRWaE5DMHdORFZqTlRSbVpXWTBNek4xZFdsa1BHNXpQazlDVFZBPQ0KBGxhbmcDZW4tVVMEb3JpZ19sYW5nA2VuBG9yaWdfcmVnaW9uA1VTBHBvcwMwBHJlZ2lvbgNVUwRzeW1ib2wDT0JNUA--?.tsrc=applewf
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'm up to 100K shares of it... to $10/share we go!!
SlackerAg
AG
gigemJTH12
AG
up 43% today
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'm at break even right now with the way my purchase orders went through. If it hits big, awesome!! But it is "play" money.
Parsons Mounted 18
I put a little money into OBMP today. Would be cool if the clinicals go well...
Gabster43213
OBMP has an almost 20 year history of successful treatment of prostate cancer patients. Today's volumn is the most in company history. Phase 2 study with Harvard is anticipated to be announced in the coming weeks (referenced in the last paragraph of today's release).
MosesHallRAB04
AG
So your saying that they will have two phase two trials running pretty much simultaneously?
gigemJTH12
AG
would it be dumb to buy right now?
gigemJTH12
AG
just tried to buy. I got this error message. Excuse my ignorance I am new to this.

Quote:

The security entered is restricted from trading.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Did you just deposit the funds into your brokerage and which broker do you use? A lot of brokerage accounts have a hold on funds for 3-5 days before they'll let you buy pink sheet stocks.
gigemJTH12
AG
just using the Wells Fargo brokerage.

I feel like I am about to catch heat for that..huh?

I have been trading on there for about a month now and never seen that error message?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Not sure. Never used a Wells Fargo brokerage. Maybe they have some certain restrictions on pink sheets? Did you put an all or nothing order in or did you leave it open for partials?
Gabster43213
Moses,

Yes. The phase 2 trial announced today is for late stage patients. The Harvard study will be focusing on mid-term patients.
Parsons Mounted 18
Anyone have any insight on the news released from Argos Therapeutics after the market closed today? Might be worth a position at the open

http://ir.argostherapeutics.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1056372
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't noticed the net about the other trial. Figured it was instead of Harvard.
Parsons Mounted 18
Parsons Mounted 18 said:

Anyone have any insight on the news released from Argos Therapeutics after the market closed today? Might be worth a position at the open

http://ir.argostherapeutics.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1056372
Guess I should have threw some money in Argos this morning. currently up 35.3%
IrishTxAggie
AG
Licensing option
https://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=13766135&gfv=1
Ranger222
AG
XBI has been holding up well with the downturn. Bounced today off the 50 MA.

My biotech shopping list when the market stabilizes --

ARRY (new data today with earnings, +15%)
BPMC
BLUE
EDIT
FGEN
FMI
GLYC
GBT
MRTX
MYOK
SMGO
SRPT

If you are more into ETFs, look at CNCR, an oncology ETF

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.