Business & Investing
Sponsored by

BIO STOCKS

122,740 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by EliteZags
WestTexAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ranger222 said:

$AKAO Down 30% on open

Why would this have happened? NDA backed the drug and voted 15-0 in favor of it. Why the major drop?
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
- General George S. Patton
cena05
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Ranger222 said:

$AKAO Down 30% on open

Why would this have happened? NDA backed the drug and voted 15-0 in favor of it. Why the major drop?
Same boat, can someone explain?
Ranger222
AG
yes, CRE or carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae are bacteria that can cause a subset of blood stream infection (BSI). This was the unmet need for plazomicin in the clinic. cUTI, or chronic urinary tract infection, has a larger patient population to treat, but there are already antibiotics on the market to treat cUTI, so it will now be a competition between plazomicin and what is currently on the market for what doctors will prescribe. BSI, on the other hand, has no competition right now and plazomicin would have been the drug of choice for doctors. Think of BSI as guaranteed revenue for AKAO. cUTI could still be profitable, but will have competition from other drugs. It will all be about what doctors will be prescribing in the coming quarters and years.

Regarding option 2, I'm not sure what a valuation would be. But if more trials are needed, then the company will need more money to fund those trials. Not only will that add operating expenses that will counter the new profits from plazomicin, but more than likely the company will have to dilute current shares to raise capital to found those trials. That is where the valuation takes a hit and why we are seeing the drop in stock price at this moment. Short sellers were expecting the company needing more cash to fund more trials.
Ulrich
He wrote two pretty substantial posts on the previous page breaking it down.

EDIT: and there's another. Thanks!
Ranger222
AG
WestTexAg12 said:

Ranger222 said:

$AKAO Down 30% on open

Tried to explain in my previous post, but the 15-0 vote was in favor of only treatment of plazomicin in urinary tract infections (cUTI). The other vote, 4-11, was against recommending plazomicin in treatment of blood stream infections.

The market already expected a favorable vote in cUTI. Today was all about that 2nd vote for recommendation in BSI. AKAO and plazomicin would have had a moat for treatment in this indication with no competition from other drugs. A favorable vote would have meant a slam dunk for FDA acceptance in this particular indication. After today, that acceptance will be in doubt until the middle-end of June when the FDA will issue its final decision.

Plazomicin will still be approved by the FDA in June for treatment in cUTI. We will be waiting to hear about BSI. Plazomicin will have competition from other drugs in cUTI, but would have been the lone drug of choice for BSI. How much money the company makes from here will all be about how well the drug roles out to market, how well drug representatives pitch the drug to doctors, how many prescriptions the doctors write, etc. There is no guarantee that process goes well. BSI would have been the guarantee. If the company has to fund more trials to prove plazomicin is safe for the BSI indication to get past FDA acceptance, that just means their bottom line is impacted, the wait to become profitable gets longer, and they may have to issue new shares of stock to fund those trials, diluting current owner's shares. That is why the stock dropped after the vote today.

However this could all be premature and the FDA approves for both indications with a clean label and this is all for naught. Will be a long wait till then.
WestTexAg12
AG
Ranger222 said:

WestTexAg12 said:

Ranger222 said:

$AKAO Down 30% on open

Tried to explain in my previous post, but the 15-0 vote was in favor of only treatment of plazomicin in urinary tract infections (cUTI). The other vote, 4-11, was against recommending plazomicin in treatment of blood stream infections.

The market already expected a favorable vote in cUTI. Today was all about that 2nd vote for recommendation in BSI. AKAO and plazomicin would have had a moat for treatment in this indication with no competition from other drugs. A favorable vote would have meant a slam dunk for FDA acceptance in this particular indication. After today, that acceptance will be in doubt until the middle-end of June when the FDA will issue its final decision.

Plazomicin will still be approved by the FDA in June for treatment in cUTI. We will be waiting to hear about BSI. Plazomicin will have competition from other drugs in cUTI, but would have been the lone drug of choice for BSI. How much money the company makes from here will all be about how well the drug roles out to market, how well drug representatives pitch the drug to doctors, how many prescriptions the doctors write, etc. There is no guarantee that process goes well. BSI would have been the guarantee. If the company has to fund more trials to prove plazomicin is safe for the BSI indication to get past FDA acceptance, that just means their bottom line is impacted, the wait to become profitable gets longer, and they may have to issue new shares of stock to fund those trials, diluting current owner's shares. That is why the stock dropped after the vote today.

However this could all be premature and the FDA approves for both indications with a clean label and this is all for naught. Will be a long wait till then.

Thanks for the explanation. I honestly didn't see your first explanation on the last page. This kind of sucks, but I guess I'll remain hopeful for the BSI vote. I really thought about selling at $14.50, but saw some target prices and remained hopeful about today's news.
"Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
IrishTxAggie
AG
Bought 6/15 $15 calls of AKAO. Think the fallout from the panel is overblown.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Looks like the stock is creeping up a little after yesterday's AH crater
Ranger222
AG
Huge recovery from the open, from 10 to 12.25 right now
IrishTxAggie
AG
Calls have doubled since purchase.
redsox34
AG
Long SGMO at 16.35. Sitting on the 200 Day. Looking for the uptrend to continue.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
AKAO rebounding solidly after the after hours plummet the other night.
IrishTxAggie
AG
AVEO getting hammered PM. Missed EPS by -0.01, but the main thing is that the P3 readout has been pushed to Q3 due to not having enough PFS events which is actually a good thing. Basically a lot of unknowledgeable investors dumping on the news of not getting the P3 sooner.
johnson2012
AG
TGTX taking a hit as well. Came in at -.59 with expectations around -.46
IrishTxAggie
AG
AKAO having a nice day. Glad I forgot to sell those calls...
Ranger222
AG
SGMO again.....not sure what to do with this stock anymore. Reading between the lines, my guess is that their trials are not progressing as smoothly as intended. Complications, if I'm correct, won't be from the gene editing technology itself, but rather delivery to the actual tissues itself. Currently they are using AAV vectors, and my guess is they are struggling to reach saturation in their trials. That has always been the limitation how do we get the technology to the target tissues? They mentioned potentially acquiring technology to address this issue, and some speculate that could be tied to the recent capital raise. If SGMO reveals their gene editing works, but can't get enough of it delivered and need a solution, would that be taken as a positive or a negative? My guess is negative because it means more time and money and not results. The CEO also talked today about building the company up not selling in a quick M&A deal. Also probably contributed to the sell off.

TGTX also pushes back data and they fell to the 200 D, but got quickly taken back up. Not too concerned with this one.

I'd be cautious with AVEO. From what little I've read, their trial design has come into question. Also, seem to have a cash runway until 1Q19. Raise will come quickly after data release, especially if its good.
what say you
Why is not having enough PFS events a good thing?
IrishTxAggie
AG
https://marketexclusive.com/just-happened-aveo-pharmaceuticals/2018/05/

Quote:

That the data is delayed is a bit disappointing, of course, and it is going to have cash flow implications for the company near term. On the other hand, however, that PFS events have not been reached suggests potentially that the drug is working and, in turn, that it might be worth using the current date to pick up an exposure to the program at a discount in anticipation of positive results hitting press as and when the numbers come in during the third quarter of this year.
what say you
I am definitely not a biotech savvy person but when I read...

"Well, in a nutshell, it's not great news. In a release that hit press on Tuesday, the company noted that the number of progression free survival (PFS) events required to trigger data analysis from its Phase 3 TIVO-3 trial have not been reached."

it made think that they could not/would not announce because they needed more PFS events. Like they are hoping to get some more before they have to give a definitive statement of progress. This sounds like a delay and ultimately bad news to me. Is my analysis incorrect, far off, etc... ?
johnson2012
AG
ARMO buyout came out this morning. $1.6B cash, which puts the stock about $50/share. Closed yesterday just under $30 so that's a cool 66% overnight.

Naturally, I had no position. Congrats to any who had a stake.
johnson2012
AG
AVEO drop continues, how low it goes, nobody knows...

May low 2.06, April low 1.92. Still debating when/If to jump in some more. I like AVEO long, but short looks like it could be painful for a bit.

Anyone jumping ship or doubling down if we retest lows?
Josepi
AG
Saw that the SYBX CEO resigned yesterday. Any thoughts on that? Stock taking a beating this morning. Would it be worth jumping in At this point, or would it be better to stay away at this point?
Gabster43213
Anyone watching OBMP today ???
OnlyForNow
AG
What's happening???
Gabster43213
Up 24% today, over 6.5 million shares traded thus far (most ever is 8 million in a day), message boards on fire.....interesting.
WestTexAg12
AG
Up 31%
spud1910
AG
Definitely watching OBMP. Quite a jump.
Gabster43213
Up 44%
aggielax48
AG
65%

Edit: Check that, 87%
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Almost 80% now. AUPH, also mentioned earlier in the thread, is up around 10% today as well.

AgShaun00
AG
sold too soon today.

hopefully it is not a bump and dump
spud1910
AG
87.5% now. Does anyone know why?
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
About 125% now...
aggielax48
AG
Looks like there is buyout speculation because of a Form 4 filing for 12 million shares.
B$Weigem
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Anyone watching OBMP today ???
Up 152% today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.