***USMNT 2019***

95,035 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

I don't think it will be this, because of GB's extensive history playing in Europe...but the last thing we need to do is to try to prop MLS up again. It's a great league for what it is. There is nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier league below EPL Bundesliga and a couple others, and you feed your top tier players into it.

But lets not act like Zardes and Morris are on the same level as Sargent, please don't think we are too stupid to question your explanations coach.
I still expect this team to play attractive soccer and get results this tournament. To have success during qualifying and going into next world cup, we are gonna need 4-5 of the Youth players to make it onto the roster, and 1-2 into the starting lineup.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I don't think it will be this, because of GB's extensive history playing in Europe...but the last thing we need to do is to try to prop MLS up again. It's a great league for what it is. There is nothing wrong with being a 2nd tier league below EPL Bundesliga and a couple others, and you feed your top tier players into it.

But lets not act like Zardes and Morris are on the same level as Sargent, please don't think we are too stupid to question your explanations coach.

If our 2026 World Cup team is not 80% euro based, we'll be in trouble.

We have so many young guys playing in Europe and even the MLS guys going to Europe will help significantly.

I'm ready to say nothing has changed but it's bavy steps. The fact our U20 team is all professionals is a step in the right direction. The fact more are playing in Europe than the US is a step in the right direction.

PatAg
AG
Yep, and I'm not sure exactly how the USSF can force Europe's hand, but it's really unfortunate that our players generally have to wait until they are 18 to be able to go over. The ones who go over earlier are lucky enough to hold dual citizenship in a country that lets them get work permits. This is where the MLS' growing commitment to developing their academies is pretty huge.
Rudyjax
AG
And not all MLS teams are developing equally so if you're not in LA, Dallas or Atlanta, good luck.
akm91
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Ryno01 said:

That's fine but why take Jordan Morris? We know what he is at this point, right?

Is Jonathan Lewis better than the Ginger?
I think Berhalter views Sargent as a pure striker while viewing Morris and Lewis as wingers. He basically called in a 2 deep for the front 3. Jozy and Gyasi are the strikers with Boyd and Morris right wingers and Arriola and Lews left wingers. Is Sargent better than Jozy, I'd say no. Gyasi gets the nod over Sargent due to experience with the Berhalter system.

This may be a blessing for Sargent for the long run. He's only 19 and still needs to establish himself at the club level to get consistent first team minutes. He'll be able to participate in all the preseason activities with Werder Bremen. I think their preseason starts early July (last year they started July 2nd).
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Quote:

If our 2026 World Cup team is not 80% euro based and getting regular first team minutes, we'll be in trouble.
jeffk
AG
Can't wait for Jozy's hammy to weigh in on this argument.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

Can't wait for Jozy's hammy to weigh in on this argument.
Good point. We should probably have a pool going on this.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

If our 2026 World Cup team is not 80% euro based and getting regular first team minutes, we'll be in trouble.

Good point. I assumed that.
Aston94
AG
I am sorry, but no one will convince me that Zardes should ever be taken before Sargent. That decision perplexes me.
Smokedraw01
akm91 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Ryno01 said:

That's fine but why take Jordan Morris? We know what he is at this point, right?

I think Berhalter views Sargent as a pure striker while viewing Morris and Lewis as wingers. He basically called in a 2 deep for the front 3. Jozy and Gyasi are the strikers with Boyd and Morris right wingers and Arriola and Lews left wingers. Is Sargent better than Jozy, I'd say no. Gyasi gets the nod over Sargent due to experience with the Berhalter system.

This may be a blessing for Sargent for the long run. He's only 19 and still needs to establish himself at the club level to get consistent first team minutes. He'll be able to participate in all the preseason activities with Werder Bremen. I think their preseason starts early July (last year they started July 2nd).
If that's his reasoning, I get it. Then send the kid to the U-20 WC.
OregonAggie
AG
akm91 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Ryno01 said:

Solid points that make sense. I'm not a a fan of Zardes or Trapp but I think their familiarity with the system are huge benefits of having them in camp, though I prefer they don't see the field much. Zardes looked pretty good when he played in a US Jersey the last couple times though. I don't ever want to see Trapp play again.

Side note, I think one of the blessings of Sargent not being on the U20 roster is the emergence of Soto. That kid is damn good and has firmly placed himself on the radar for the future.

Sucks for Sargent that he's left out but more time with Werder this summer will hopefully mean more meaningful minutes every Saturday, which I think is more beneficial than playing in the Gold Cup this summer. There's also going to be plenty of minutes for him over the next 2 years with CONCACAF Nations League and WC Qualifying games. Bottom line, there's plenty of time for this team to gel before the next World Cup.
Aston94
AG
System? System? Give me a break. If you can't teach a soccer player your system in 2 weeks then we need a new coach. I thought the point of the Gold Cup was to teach people the system so they could play together in WCQ.

Chef Demas 2020
AG
Whatever the reason, if he knew he wasn't going to take Sargent to the gold cup he should have left him with the U20s
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

System? System? Give me a break. If you can't teach a soccer player your system in 2 weeks then we need a new coach. I thought the point of the Gold Cup was to teach people the system so they could play together in WCQ.

Apparently developing young players and winning are mutually exclusive.
akm91
AG
Aston94 said:

I am sorry, but no one will convince me that Zardes should ever be taken before Sargent. That decision perplexes me.
Sargent absolutely has a higher ceiling then Gyasi ever will. However at this point in time as demonstrated on field and in training, I'm not sure Sargent is better than Gyasi. The familiarity with the system tips the scales in Gyasi's favor.
akm91
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

akm91 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

Ryno01 said:

If that's his reasoning, I get it. Then send the kid to the U-20 WC.
Sargent hadn't played with the U-20's this cycle at all, while Soto has been a regular. Little known fact, Soto actually has more Bundesliga appearances than Sargent this season.

Think Berhalter gave Sargent chance to play his way onto the Gold Cup team and he came up just a bit short. It's not a bad thing to have a little bit of adversity.
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Aston94 said:

Sargent absolutely has a higher ceiling then Gyasi ever will. However at this point in time as demonstrated on field and in training, I'm not sure Sargent is better than Gyasi. The familiarity with the system tips the scales in Gyasi's favor.
You have apparently seen a different Zardes than I have. I always come away thinking that he is an exceptional athlete that has absolutely no idea what he is going to do once he has the ball at his feet.

I would rate Sargent above him now, and in the future, but what the hell do I know.

PatAg
AG
Also, are we building for the future or trying to win now for appearances.. because we appear to be sacrificing one for the other. I don't give a **** if we win this gold cup, but I do care that Sargent is misisng out on valuable time with the national team.
PatAg
AG
Just to clarify, I don't think Zardes sucks or anything.
Pound the Rock
AG
Pulisic and Bradley not playing against Venezuela tomorrow.
Hickory High
AG
Entourageag07 said:

F-ing why not?!
Pound the Rock
AG
Reported by ESPN

And Fansided
jeffk
deadbq03
AG
Noob question: Is it normal to not have a captain named by this stage?
OregonAggie
AG
Hickory High said:

Entourageag07 said:

F-ing why not?!

Pulisic just joined up with the team on Friday. Bradley has a hammy injury. He's been practicing but they don't want to chance it.
wangus12
AG
Pound the Rock
AG
wangus12 said:

Boyd and Zardes over Altidore. Really anxious to see what Boyd can do. And good ol Trapp back in the starting lineup.
wangus12
AG
Trapp is the new Wondo.

PatAg
AG
nice initial ball on the free kick from boyd
PatAg
AG
Boyd is whipping em In!
wangus12
AG
Boyd can play a damn good ball in
PatAg
AG
man, Roldan just continues to be rather inept in the attacking third at this level. Seems pretty good in other spots of the field
stillmerk
AG
That wasn't offside?
PatAg
AG
the system we are playing requires our midfield to work their ass off when they arent on the ball. Provide passing angles for not just the first pass, but the next. Cantjust be standing around all the time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.