***USMNT 2019***

94,943 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup-qualifying-afc-concacaf/story/3955152/concacaf-competition-holding-united-states-and-mexico-back-jurgen-klinsmann

Interview with Klinnsman saying CONCACAF Nations Leagues sucks for US and Mex.
OregonAggie
AG
Kind of hard to argue with him. At least we have a lot of young guys playing in Europe and Mexico seems to have more and more players playing there as well.

I don't see the Nations League going away, especially with the goal of lifting up some of the fledgling countries in CONCACAF. We just have to hope that we find a way to be included in Copa America with regularity.
PatAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup-qualifying-afc-concacaf/story/3955152/concacaf-competition-holding-united-states-and-mexico-back-jurgen-klinsmann

Interview with Klinnsman saying CONCACAF Nations Leagues sucks for US and Mex.
We only formed it because Europe did their own version of it and we will basically never get to play them in friendlies again. They have their own nations league in addition to the Euros.
jeffk
AG
Soooo... Dest was left off the latest USMNT squad for the Oct matches.
boogieman
AG
https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2019/10/berhalter-calls-26-players-for-usas-inaugural-concacaf-nations-league-matches

USMNT ROSTER BY POSITION (CLUB; CAPS/GOALS):

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 61/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Zack Steffen (Fortuna Dsseldorf/GER; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 8/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 13/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 10/0), Matt Miazga (Reading/ENG; 17/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 36/1), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 59/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 11/2)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 150/17), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 11/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 15/3), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 32/13), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 16/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 20/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 3/0)

FORWARDS (7): Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC/CAN; 115/42), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 28/5), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 4/0), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 7/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 35/6), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 9/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 53/10)
jeffk
AG
I'll take my list down just to avoid clutter, but it's nice to have Yedlin back.

Zardes makes another roster and I'm sure will start both games over Sargent.
boogieman
AG
I think we may have been copy/paste about the same time.

Was also happy to see Yedlin.
Even had a smart comment about zardes being included.
jeffk
AG
Great minds and all that.
Rudyjax
AG
No Pomykal.
ja86
AG
Did Dest turn it down or was he not invited?
jeffk
AG
ja86 said:

Did Dest turn it down or was he not invited?

Wasn't invited. Bernhalter said they had talked over the last couple of weeks and Dest wanted to continue to weigh his options and work with his club more. CB said he felt good about their relationship and didn't seem to worried about losing him to the Dutch (for whatever that's worth).
ja86
AG
Thanks for the info. Disappointing but understandable from Dest's point of view.
akm91
AG
I Am Mine said:

No Pomykal.

That and no Duane Holmes either. Not sure if Pomykal will be on the U-23 roster.

For these matches, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by having Zardes, Trapp, Roldan, Lovits, Baird in camp.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
fig96
AG
I feel like Trapp may be Berhalter's Wondo.
jeffk
AG
fig96 said:

Then what is Zardes?
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

fig96 said:

Then what is Zardes?
Dangit you got me.

Ok, Zardes is definitely Wondo (without as much production), Trapp is...Feilhaber? But Benny had his big moments for sure, and he had potential to be the next big thing at one point.

If nothing else he'll always have this:
Pahdz
I'd say Trapp is Bornstein but he's been so forgettable, Bornstein was unforgettable but for the wrong reasons
OregonAggie
AG
Can we fire Berhalter and just hire Marsch?

Pound the Rock
AG
OregonAggie said:

Can we fire Berhalter and just hire Marsch?

Wouldn't surprise me if we go that direction after the next World Cup. Once the berhalter experiment fails, he has to be one of the top candidates after proving himself in Europe.
DeangeloVickers
AG
If I'm Marsch no way in hell I take the job
Pound the Rock
AG
Either way, impressive job by him so far in both the Austrian Bundesliga and the Champions league. They are a team that nobody wants to play right now, and with speeches like that I'm not surprised his team plays with energy and passion.

I hope he continues his success and kills any "American Soccer" stigmas out there, whether he ever becomes the national team coach or not.
deadbq03
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

If I'm Marsch no way in hell I take the job
Not in the next decade at least. If we're lucky, maybe for the 2034 cycle USSF will have its act together and deserve good coaching. And maybe by then Marsch will have some top-flight trophies on the shelf.
akm91
AG
I Am Mine said:

No Pomykal.

apparently Pomykal's not at 100% and wasn't on the U-23 roster either.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

I Am Mine said:

No Pomykal.

apparently Pomykal's not at 100% and wasn't on the U-23 roster either.

Makes sense then.
PatAg
AG

wtf...still on trapp?
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

wtf...still on trapp?
He shouldn't need Adams in camp to see that he is way better than Trapp....at pretty much everything.
fig96
AG
I'm a little concerned that at this point it isn't evident from Trapp's body of work that he's a January type player.

He's a good MLS player, but we've yet to see anything above average from him in international play.
Pound the Rock
AG
If he's serious, then I predict his tenure will come to an end around the time of our next World Cup and we will be looking for a new coach again. Putting Wil Trapp in the starting lineup is blatantly not playing our best players available and will continue to reinforce our mediocrity.

Idk3
AG
Lets be honest, Berhalter is a MLS crony. He probably doesn't even make player selections with MLS and horrible US soccer leadership dictating to him who is on the team and who he has to play.
wangus12
AG
What is so embarrassing is that we are determined to play a midfielder that A) plays on a team that finished 20/24 in the MLS and B) Doesn't really produce anything for said club.
Furlock Bones
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

Lets be honest, Berhalter is a MLS crony. He probably doesn't even make player selections with MLS and horrible US soccer leadership dictating to him who is on the team and who he has to play.
he was interviewed on counter attack with Brian Dunseth and Tony Meola about a week ago. if anyone had lingering doubts whether Berhalter was a MLS schill or not, they need only listen to that interview. the stunning incompetence and cronyism of US Soccer marches on unabated.
DeangeloVickers
AG
The killer for me is watching Mexico out coach us.....theyve always had more talent but now they have both...and from a coach we couldve hired....I dont know if he was the best fit for us but he's WAAAAAAAAAY better than Berhalter

I have zero enthusiasm about US Soccer...it's an embarrassment .....hell Pulisic isnt even playing anymore
deadbq03
AG
What a bizarre answer re: Adams.

A much better answer that would have appeased far more people would've been something like "I'd like to get Adams in here and see what he can do, but sadly he's still got fitness issues."

The real issue is that there is near-unanimous opinion that GB messed up in trying to play Adams at RB, and Berhalter is too proud to admit he made a bad call. I'd bet a coke he's secretly hoping that Adams never gets healthy.
fig96
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

The killer for me is watching Mexico out coach us.....theyve always had more talent but now they have both...and from a coach we couldve hired....I dont know if he was the best fit for us but he's WAAAAAAAAAY better than Berhalter

I have zero enthusiasm about US Soccer...it's an embarrassment .....hell Pulisic isnt even playing anymore
Martino is a freakin' genius and I can't believe we didn't at least make a run at him.

And Pulisic came in as a sub and had an assist on Sunday.
Mr. White
DeangeloVickers said:

I have zero enthusiasm about US Soccer...it's an embarrassment ...
I was a Branch-Davidian-level USMNT cultist during and after the 2002 World Cup. My obsession began waning when the U.S. lost to Jamaica in the Gold Cup during the Klinsmann tenure. It is now completely gone.

It seems like too much effort to TRY to remember to record the game tomorrow.

This isn't at all fair-weather fandom. There just seems to be zero direction with this organization. It's astonishing.

What's the general sentiment across the country?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.