***USMNT 2019***

94,960 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was just running over here to post this.

DeangeloVickers
AG
Wow, shocker
boogieman
AG
Awesome!!!!!!
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

astroboy said:

I still love bunker Bob, but it would be so USSF to bring him back. We need new blood so bad.
He's not bunkering with LAFC, perhaps he is a coach capable of changing tactics to suit his players strengths
Yup, he and his teams have definitely evolved. I'll be honest, I'd be kind of excited to see what he could do with the young attacking talent we've got coming up.
fig96
AG
And super excited for the positive news on Dest.

Here's a video I ran across that's kinda fun with a pro freestyler challenging him to some street football games.
tysker
AG
Man do we need some street fields like that one. Doesnt take up too much space and looks easy to build and maintain.
fig96
AG
Right? Nothing more than a basketball court with a hard fence, just another example of the football culture that we don't have here.
fig96
AG
akm91
AG
Perhaps Pulisic's nutmegging of Dest helped sway the decision!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
jeffk
AG
fig96 said:

Right? Nothing more than a basketball court with a hard fence, just another example of the football culture that we don't have here.

That's actually a big project Kyle Martino and friends are working on right now.

https://www.streetsoccerusa.org/
Rudyjax
AG
So I'm not a coach nor did I play at a competitive level so take this for what it's worth I do know people and I do know how to build organizations.

The problem right now is that Berholter is trying to build a complicated system when he just has those players for a short time. With the current team, they really need to implement aspects of this system and slowly introduce them.
They're playing slow because they are thinking.

We have 1 full time youth coach. Kries at the u23.
U13-20 are all coaches that fill in.
We need full time coaches that implement Berholter systems from the first time these kids are called up.
Every time they play for the USNT, they're playing in this system.

When they arrive at that level, the bulk of the team has experience playing at that level.

Or fire Berholter and find a coach that can form strategy to match his talent.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

fig96 said:

That's actually a big project Kyle Martino and friends are working on right now.

https://www.streetsoccerusa.org/
Very cool!

Speaking of, I went to Premier League Fan Fest in Austin yesterday and apparently left 5 minutes before my friends got pics with Kyle, Shaka, and Robbie Mustoe.
PatAg
AG
I Am Mine said:

So I'm not a coach nor did I play at a competitive level so take this for what it's worth I do know people and I do know how to build organizations.

The problem right now is that Berholter is trying to build a complicated system when he just has those players for a short time. With the current team, they really need to implement aspects of this system and slowly introduce them.
They're playing slow because they are thinking.

We have 1 full time youth coach. Kries at the u23.
U13-20 are all coaches that fill in.
We need full time coaches that implement Berholter systems from the first time these kids are called up.
Every time they play for the USNT, they're playing in this system.

When they arrive at that level, the bulk of the team has experience playing at that level.

Or fire Berholter and find a coach that can form strategy to match his talent.
It's only right now that we don't have more than Kries with the U23 and the U17 coach. THey are waiting(sound familiar?) to announce a youth technical director, and then he will hire all the youth coaches again.
Personally, I'm not a fan of all the youth teams playing the same system as the national team. What happens when the top coach is replaced? Most training is done at the club level.
You need your youth coaches to be good at recognizing talent, and putting that talent in positions to succeed with their skill set.
That being said, you could implement parts of the overall strategy into the youth teams, so they are learning it in bits and pieces while still improving their overall level of play.

Rudyjax
AG
I agree. My post was that if you're going to play a system this is how you do it.
Dre_00
Lest anyone think that the decision was a little fabricated, the Dutch media gave this story a fair bit of coverage. And I learned in this English language Dutch news source that apparently there's a center back by the name of Kik Pierie who is US-eligible. Apparently he has an American mother and was born in Boston. The primary difference is that he has been brought up through the Netherlands youth teams so my guess is that there isn't a window to switch him unless he can't make the jump to the senior squad.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2019/10/ajax-rising-star-sergino-dest-opts-to-go-american-for-international-career/
fig96
AG
Surprisingly, we seem to actually be a bit ahead on this one, we were in touch before his Ajax move:

https://sbisoccer.com/2018/10/dutch-defender-kik-pierie-confirms-contact-from-u-s-soccer
Pahdz
You guys are gonna love this roster

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2019/10/31/20942441/usa-usmnt-pre-camp-roster-mls-players-concacaf-nations-league-canada-cuba

(Excited for Chase Gaspar...you guys might like him)
fig96
AG
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2019/10/31/20942441/usa-usmnt-pre-camp-roster-mls-players-concacaf-nations-league-canada-cuba

Really partial to Pomykal, but that might be he grew up /lives in the neighboring town. Surprised he's not in there.

But in reality , there are no euro based players.

jeffk
AG
Zardes.
fig96
AG
I Am Mine said:

Pahdz said:

Really partial to Pomykal, but that might be he grew up /lives in the neighboring town. Surprised he's not in there.

There's a note that the international players will be announced on the 6th, so there'll be a few but I can't imagine too many with 20 already in camp.

And yes, Pomykal should be there along with a few others.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

I Am Mine said:

Pahdz said:

There's a note that the international players will be announced on the 6th, so there'll be a few but I can't imagine too many with 20 already in camp.

I meant I'm somewhat ok with that pre camp because the euros aren't available.

Part of me wonders if Pulisic even wants to play for Berholter after Canada. But maybe that put the fire in his ass. Who knows?

I just can't believe we are where we are at with this team.

I was so naive to think we would be able to put the right coach and system in.
TRM
AG
I Am Mine said:

We were so naive to think we would be able to put the right coach and system in.

FIFY
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

I Am Mine said:

Pahdz said:

Pomykal just underwent a "core muscle" surgery, which is probably somethign hernia related. estimated 6ish weeks recovery, so he isnt available.
European players will be announced later
PatAg
AG
the pre-camp falls outside the FIFA international window, so European-based players, along with any players called in from MLS Cup finalists Toronto FC or the Seattle Sounders, will be added once it opens on November 10th. That roster is expected to be released on November 6th, and the final roster for the matches announced on November 10th.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

the pre-camp falls outside the FIFA international window, so European-based players, along with any players called in from MLS Cup finalists Toronto FC or the Seattle Sounders, will be added once it opens on November 10th. That roster is expected to be released on November 6th, and the final roster for the matches announced on November 10th.

Right. That was in the article.

Expect them to add Bradley, Morris, mcKennie, Ream and Sargent.

I'm going 50/50 on Pulisic.

Adams still isn't healthy, right?
PatAg
AG
From what I read, Adams should be about recovered enough to start getting matches with his club team. I dont imagine they would make him available.

Berhalter has a chance to show he is capable of tweaking his tactics and lineups, we'll see. Theres obviously a great chance he keeps running the same bull**** out that isnt working
Rudyjax
AG
The system works. He just doesn't have the right players to run it.
fig96
AG
I Am Mine said:

The system works. He just doesn't have the right players to run it.
Not even that, he might actually have the right players (who he calls up is a different argument). But he's trying to implement a very complex, specific system with a bunch of players who don't know it well enough.

It could work in a club setup when you've got hours of practice almost every day. It doesn't work for a national team who isn't already intimately familiar with it.
fig96
AG
Gotcha, thanks.
Rudyjax
AG
I'm saying it from his perspective. Trapp and Zardes know his system and if he had more of those guys it would work.
fig96
AG
Gotcha.

Here's to hoping someone is finally realizing we need to make some adjustments.
deadbq03
AG
According to the Leipzig stuff I keep up with, he's fully recovered now but not match fit.
Rudyjax
AG
Alexi Lalas is a grumpy old man.

Wait. What?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.