***USMNT 2019***

94,563 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like Long at CB over Brooks at this point. Miazga and Long would be a good pair. Long should look to cross the pond and play in Europe while he still can IMO.
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

I like Long at CB over Brooks at this point. Miazga and Long would be a good pair. Long should look to cross the pond and play in Europe while he still can IMO.
He's trying
oh no
AG
I know. Price was too low for nyrb last summer. He's gotta get over there though.
tysker
AG
Boyd over Arriola?
Pahdz
Laughable that tweet mentions Miazga has to beat 3 guys who haven't sniffed a first team spot at CB over Long. Are we sure I Am Mine isn't running that account?

Agree with what everyone said about Long, Morris and Arriola being the ones missing.
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

Laughable that tweet mentions Miazga has to beat 3 guys who haven't sniffed a first team spot at CB over Long. Are we sure I Am Mine isn't running that account?

Agree with what everyone said about Long, Morris and Arriola being the ones missing.

Positive.
PatAg
AG
Read a couple of that guys tweets, and you can tell he has a ridiculous bias. Personally, I would encourage all players to go to Europe if they can, but just going to Europe doesn't magically make you better. Just like being in the MLS doesn't magically make you worse.
KCup17
AG
Jesse Marsch's Salzburg team has been fun to watch this season.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

Jesse Marsch's Salzburg team has been fun to watch this season.

They competed for 70 minutes with the worlds best. They're a young side from wha my I heard from the broadcast.
Rudyjax
AG

Pulisic with the Gig Em.
Phat32
AG
Pulisic has to work for a spot on the USMNT?
Rudyjax
AG
yukmonkey said:

Pulisic has to work for a spot on the USMNT?

It was a joke based on the perceived preference of MLS players over players that play on Europe.

Or you knew that and were joking. Dunno.
Phat32
AG
Figured there was something going on but wasn't up to speed.

Since the T&T debacle in 2017, I have been completely disinterested in anything USMNT other than Pulisic. He's the only bright spot in this turd sandwich and we wasted a WC cycle with him.
Rudyjax
AG
Anyone else find this weird??

Rudyjax
AG
This made me chuckle.

Ferg
Foxymophandlemama said:

Anyone else find this weird??

Maybe he's trying to find out how much the transfer fee would be to bring him to Austin FC for 2021.
deadbq03
AG
I was kinda hoping with Leipzig facing a relegation candidate this week that we'd get a chance to see Adams off the bench. Wasn't meant to be. Still not available.

Got to watch Steffin and Dsseldorf for the first time this season. Steffin gets no help. That back line is awful. He had a few good saves, but seemed a bit lost on a penalty kick... maybe he was expecting a shot up the middle but even so, it was just strange to watch.
akm91
AG
Unfortunately it appears McKennie dislocated his shoulder in the Schawlow match today.

Dre_00
This probably deserves its own thread and is in no way related to the 2019 USMNT but I'm putting it here anyway.

https://theathletic.com/1448748/2019/12/17/

It is well worth your subscription to The Athletic just for this one article. Too lazy to click on the link to see what the article is about? It's about *that* photo shoot. You know...the one from right before the 2002 World Cup has been lasered into your brain for life.
JJxvi
AG
LMAO at buying and putting that plaque on the water fountain!
fig96
AG
Dre_00 said:

This probably deserves its own thread and is in no way related to the 2019 USMNT but I'm putting it here anyway.

https://theathletic.com/1448748/2019/12/17/

It is well worth your subscription to The Athletic just for this one article. Too lazy to click on the link to see what the article is about? It's about *that* photo shoot. You know...the one from right before the 2002 World Cup has been lasered into your brain for life.
The Athletic overall is totally worth the price if you're any kind of sports fan. And they've now got writers for every Premier League team too.
Dre_00
Complete with GPS coordinates!
heddleston
AG
That plaque absolutely made my day. And I was already having an awesome one before I saw it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Great article frOn Grant and on the shoot (and an archived link to the shots)

http://grantland.com/features/usmnt-new-york-s-magazine-greatest-photo-shoot-history/
deadbq03
AG
Tyler Adams suited up! Looks like he's starting.
deadbq03
AG
Looks like they're playing him as a right back.

Halftime update:

He's definitely playing as an RB and doing pretty well. He's staying wide and very high on offense. When the attack breaks down and they recycle for another try, occasionally he drifts into the middle. On one occasion early in the game he was in the box and had some good hold-up play that would've been an assist but the ball barely touched his hand on the way to his chest.

Tracking back well in defense. Looks to be in pretty good shape considering he hasn't played in 6 months. Couple of good challenges and interceptions. No bad mistakes. He's taking nearly all the throws on the right side; perhaps that's something he worked on while he was in the lengthy rehab.

Final update:

Was harder to watch him in the 2nd half since he was on the bottom of the screen. He spent about 3 minutes as a DM when they subbed on a RB for a striker and briefly changed to a 4-1-4-1. Then he was subbed off in the 85th or 86th.

Good outing for him on his first game back. He got a lot of touches. Haven't looked up final stats but in the middle of the 2nd half he was 5th in the team with 75 touches.

With Leipzig's injury woes at CB, I'd be tempted to chalk up his appearance at RB to simply being a chance to rest one of their regular RBs and slot the other in as a CB. But he looked good there. Will be interesting to see how they use him when they return for the winter break.
deadbq03
AG
Since there's nothing else going on, I'll add some more Adams news to bump the thread.

While nothing official has come out in English language news, a whole lot of legitimate smoke is pointing to completed transfer deal for RB Leipzig's starting DM, Diego Demme to move Napoli.

Playing time is about to be wide open for Adams in midfield. Hope he can stay healthy and take advantage of it.

(As a Leipzig fan though, I'm a bit sad. Demme was vice-captain and one of two players who's been with the club since they were down in the 3 Liga. I could definitely get over it if Adams has a run of good form.)
Aston94
AG
Brian McBride takes over as USMNT GM since Earnie was promoted to director for USMNT and USWNT.

https://ca.style.yahoo.com/amphtml/brian-mc-bride-named-usmnt-general-manager-201504470.html

Not sure what the position entails, but anything that keeps McBride as part of the federation is good in my opinion.
jeffk
AG
Having a GM has to be better than not having a GM, right?
PatAg
AG
I am a big fan of this hire, and of McBride. He's also been very outspoken on many issues this past couple years, so hopefully this is a good sign of things to come

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.