***USMNT 2019***

93,377 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dre_00
Sergino Dest said that the Dutch called him in to their U-23 team. When asked if he would commit himself to the US in a game that would cap tie him, he said he can't answer that.

If he continues to get regular PT for Ajax and excels, he's going Dutch.
deadbq03
AG
Freaky-deaky Dutch
tysker
AG
Makes no sense. Why would he want to pay for everything himself?
PatAg
AG
Dre_00 said:

Sergino Dest said that the Dutch called him in to their U-23 team. When asked if he would commit himself to the US in a game that would cap tie him, he said he can't answer that.

If he continues to get regular PT for Ajax and excels, he's going Dutch.
Maybe, personally I think he would be making a mistake but it would be hard to ignore a callup to their full team. What he should be realisitic about, is we have shown we want him to play for us for a long time, and we want him to lock down a starting spot.
I just dont get the mindset of playing for a countrys youth teams for years, only to swap to another country that finally decides they want you.
Dre_00
The youth teams have shown they want him, but the full team hasn't. One of the current issues is that it seems like the youth teams are too disconnected from the full team. There are a lot of young players that Ramos clearly rates and brings in whenever he can but haven't heard anything from Berhalter.

He was surprised because, up until that point, he hadn't heard much from Berhalter. Sciaretta (and others) have reported that too often the youth players don't hear from Berhalter as they are progressing until he's ready to call them into a camp.
PatAg
AG
at the same time, if you are being constantly called into ever youth camp, that IS attention right there
Dre_00
Sure but if other full national team managers have been sending you a text congratulating you for your U-20 WC performance or talking to your parents, your head is going to be turned. Word is that Berhalter often doesn't do things like that with US youth national team members. Dest's surprise at hearing from him is indicative of that.
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

Sure but if other full national team managers have been sending you a text congratulating you for your U-20 WC performance or talking to your parents, your head is going to be turned. Word is that Berhalter often doesn't do things like that with US youth national team members. Dest's surprise at hearing from him is indicative of that.

We need to hire college footbsll coach as our "recruiter" of duel internationals.

They know how to play that game.

Rudyjax
AG
Was he surprised that Bertsmoker reached out to him or surprised he was called up to the USMNT?

It's a little ambiguous there.
expresswrittenconsent
I Am Mine said:

Dre_00 said:

We need to hire college footbsll coach as our "recruiter" of duel internationals.

They know how to play that game.

There's gonna be dueling involved?
Rudyjax
AG
Doh.

JJxvi
AG
We are going to get first shot at Dest, IMO he would really have to put us off for a decent period before the Netherlands with all of their defensive talent would be willing to try and cap tie him.
Rudyjax
AG
Gordo14
Will this cap tie him?
wangus12
AG
No. It has to be an official competition for FIFA/CONCACAF. Tomorrow is just a friendly so it counts as nothing. It is all going to come down to next month against Cuba/Canada.

Honestly it sounds like the Dutch will probably offer him a spot next month during the international break and I won't be surprised if he takes it. He was born there and has spent his entire life there, including playing for Ajax since 2012.

Hope he chooses the USA, but I'll be surprised if the Dutch do reach out to him
PatAg
AG
Dre_00 said:

I don't think it's on the head coach to do it, but definitely we should have someone on the staff that is at the least passing on communication from Gregg to the player pool.
I would also wonder, if I was a dual national, which team wanted me to play for their youth teams. I would feel insulted that they only asked for me now.
Rudyjax
AG
Oh my.

wangus12
AG
Pomykal letting fly.
PatAg
AG
Regarding the whole build from the back discussion, I would like to see the pace of play picked. Everything is way to deliberate and slow to develop, it makes it so easy for the defense. Whether we change tactics or not, the pace is too slow.
texagbeliever
Throw buckets of cash at Norwhich coach. They beat city without bunkering. Tactics, heart and confidence. Just amazing.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

Regarding the whole build from the back discussion, I would like to see the pace of play picked. Everything is way to deliberate and slow to develop, it makes it so easy for the defense. Whether we change tactics or not, the pace is too slow.

This is probably the biggest issue with what we're doing but GB should've fixed it. There's also time you just have to slam it upfield but he doesn't seem to be telling them to do that.

The fact that after the Mexico game he said they played fine was a crock and he needs to pick his head out his ass.
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
JJxvi
AG
I think the idea that Dest would get capped by the Netherlands is crazy. I feel like he would have to make that switch on faith that he would eventually be good enough sometime after his age deadline.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I'm at my first Ajax match tonight..I'll try to have a word with Dest.

(Sorry for the humble brag. I'm just super excited!)
fig96
AG
Totally legit humble brag, please report back on the whole experience.
PatAg
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

I'm at my first Ajax match tonight..I'll try to have a word with Dest.

(Sorry for the humble brag. I'm just super excited!)
I would love to go to an Ajax game. Enjoy it
tcow715
AG

I feel if the Dutch give him an ultimatum and make him decide now it works in our favor. Thoughts?
Dre_00
You live in Amsterdam or just visiting?
littlebitofhifi
AG
Just visiting...have a team based in Amsterdam so try to make it 1-2 times per year to check-in.

Quick derail to update on Ajax then back to USMNT:

Overall, it was an amazing experience and a must do if you ever get the opportunity. I scored a ticket through a coworker with F-Side. As a female attending alone, I was heavily cautioned to be careful as things get pretty rough with the drug & alcohol use, but I had no issues. I just stayed to the back & side of the section and it was great. That said, they were only playing Fortuna...I would not have attended in that section if they were playing a rival or larger match.

I typically follow women's football, EPL, and some Champion's League so frankly wasn't too familiar with individuals on either side and spent a decent amount of the match just keeping an eye on Dest. Unfortunately, Fortuna is terrible and he really didn't have much to do. Got beat once pretty badly, but recovered well and had a couple of really nice long switches leading directly to chances & 1 goal in the 2nd half. I talked to my coworkers after the match and they all really love him, but are fine with and some even recommending he choose the USMNT as he'll get more opportunity. They all want him to stay with Ajax for club, but ok with losing him internationally.

F-Side got a bit crazy due to lack of goals (0-0 going into halftime) and they were pretty restless, but it just added to the environment. For a Wednesday night 9pm local kick-off, having ~45k fans that invested in the match was just a blast. We got rewarded with Ajax finally showed up in the 2nd half with the final being 5-0.

Only downside and it was a pretty big one was the amount of smoking (of all varieties). It's technically banned but not enforced and despite being an open air stadium, my clothes still reeked of it when I got home.

TLDR: Ajax is great and you should go to a match if you ever have the chance.
littlebitofhifi
AG
ja86
AG
if you can make the senior team, why would you play for the Americans?
OregonAggie
AG
Didn't the kid grow up in the Netherlands?

Who would blame him for picking the Dutch team? I'm sure that's who he'll choose and I probably would too if I were in his shoes. Top 5 team in the world , he plays for Ajax, grew up Dutch, and they don't have **** for brains GB as a head coach.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

Didn't the kid grow up in the Netherlands?

Who would blame him for picking the Dutch team? I'm sure that's who he'll choose and I probably would too if I were in his shoes. Top 5 team in the world , he plays for Ajax, grew up Dutch, and they don't have **** for brains GB as a head coach.

Not only that, he has no relationship with his American family. It is what it is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.