***USMNT 2019***

94,606 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole deal is just becoming laughable.

Berhalter is just so far off on so many things. I have zero hope and zero excitement for the future. MLS and those who support its agenda are ruining the sport in this country.
OregonAggie
AG
Mr. White said:

DeangeloVickers said:

I have zero enthusiasm about US Soccer...it's an embarrassment ...
I was a Branch-Davidian-level USMNT cultist during and after the 2002 World Cup. My obsession began waning when the U.S. lost to Jamaica in the Gold Cup during the Klinsmann tenure. It is now completely gone.

It seems like too much effort to TRY to remember to record the game tomorrow.

This isn't at all fair-weather fandom. There just seems to be zero direction with this organization. It's astonishing.

What's the general sentiment across the country?

I've been all in with this team since 1994 and now I pay such little attention that I don't even know when their games are this week. I'm hopeful for the future...after GB gets canned. Until then I'll pay attention to individual players and watch big matches. These next 2 just aren't big matches and I got **** to do!
Rudyjax
AG
I was so excited about the future of our team after missing the World Cup.

I had illusions of starting over with the youngest brightest future stars and playing for WC qualifying and peaking.

Then Bertholder takes over and goes back to exactly we did not to qualify.

I'll still give him a chance, but repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results in maddening.
Furlock Bones
AG
lest we forget it took over a year to sign berhalter. a year!
tysker
AG
Quote:

I had illusions of starting over with the youngest brightest future stars and playing for WC qualifying and peaking.
The illusion was that there were a bunch of young future stars read to be difference makers. Such there's lots of talent but much of it still feels about 4-5 years away from maturing into the international level.
fig96
AG
Furlock Bones said:

lest we forget it took over a year to sign berhalter. a year!

To sign the guy everyone figured it would be to start with.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Quote:

The illusion was that there were a bunch of young future stars read to be difference makers. Such there's lots of talent but much of it still feels about 4-5 years away from maturing into the international level.

I still would rather play players with a higher ceiling than players with a lower floor.

And that is what he is doing.

No more Trapp playing. Bradley there for leadership. No Zardes. Things like that.
fig96
AG

tysker
AG
I said:

No more Trapp playing. Bradley there for leadership. No Zardes. Things like that.
Trapp isnt great at the international level but who do you start as a defending midfielder in his place? McKenzie when he's not hurt and available is the most clear choice but then who after that? Take off Bradley and play both Trapp and McKenzie because that seems even weirder in games that "count."

I think we'll see something like Trapp play againt a lower quality Cuba team and then McKenzie agsint higher quality Canada.

eta: what ever happened to Kellyn Acosta? Wasnt he the guy to take over for Bradley and be part of that double pivot midfield?
Rudyjax
AG
Stop bringing sense to my rants.

Isn't Acosta in pergatory in Colorado?

And hurt?
deadbq03
AG
Adams is unquestionably better when he's not hurt. But evidently Berhalter doesn't think playing time at CM/DM for a club that finished 3rd in Bundesliga is good enough and he needs to see him there in camp more.

The problem isn't that Trapp is likely getting the start at this particular point in time. The problem is that it's been "Trapp or Bust" from the get go. When Adams and Yedlin we're both fit, Berhalter wanted to play Adams at RB and Yedlin as an attacking winger just so his boy Trapp could keep playing in the middle.
mrmill3218
AG
tysker said:

I said:

Trapp isnt great at the international level but who do you start as a defending midfielder in his place? McKenzie when he's not hurt and available is the most clear choice but then who after that? Take off Bradley and play both Trapp and McKenzie because that seems even weirder in games that "count."

I think we'll see something like Trapp play againt a lower quality Cuba team and then McKenzie agsint higher quality Canada.

eta: what ever happened to Kellyn Acosta? Wasnt he the guy to take over for Bradley and be part of that double pivot midfield?

I'm not sure why Berhalter insists on playing all of our Euro-based players out of position.

Actually, I do know why.

Anyway, the #6 is McKennie's best position. He shouldn't be playing further up the pitch. He should also only be playing this when Adams isn't fit. When fit, Adams is far and away our best option there.

After those two I would say Alfredo Morales.

Kellyn is a fine MLS player but just not good enough at international level.
mrmill3218
AG
deadbq03 said:

Adams is unquestionably better when he's not hurt. But evidently Berhalter doesn't think playing time at CM/DM for a club that finished 3rd in Bundesliga is good enough and he needs to see him there in camp more.

The problem isn't that Trapp is likely getting the start at this particular point in time. The problem is that it's been "Trapp or Bust" from the get go. When Adams and Yedlin we're both fit, Berhalter wanted to play Adams at RB and Yedlin as an attacking winger just so his boy Trapp could keep playing in the middle.

It's so infuriating.
tysker
AG
Adams of course! But he's been hurt a bunch no?
And they tried him as a weird hybrid RW/RDM (something where they are playing a 3-2-3-2 on offense then 5-3-3 on defense) which makes much more sense on paper than when actually playing agsint live opponents.

I dont really rate Yedlin as an outside back at this level but maybe I'm just pining for the days of Cherundolo.
mrmill3218
AG
Don't even get me started on how bizarre and stupid the "hybrid" right back role is.

Yedlin is good. Nothing phenomenal but good.
deadbq03
AG
He's struggled with a groin issue for several months. Supposedly he's going to be fit after this international break, and will finally return to practice, but who knows how long it'll be before he makes a lineup. A wild card is the fact that there's been huge staff turnover this summer at Leipzig so he's gonna have to start on ground zero with his coaches.
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

This whole deal is just becoming laughable.

Berhalter is just so far off on so many things. I have zero hope and zero excitement for the future. MLS and those who support its agenda are ruining the sport in this country.
thats a ****ing stupid opinion
PatAg
AG
mrmill3218 said:

tysker said:

I said:

I'm not sure why Berhalter insists on playing all of our Euro-based players out of position.

Actually, I do know why.

Anyway, the #6 is McKennie's best position. He shouldn't be playing further up the pitch. He should also only be playing this when Adams isn't fit. When fit, Adams is far and away our best option there.

After those two I would say Alfredo Morales.

Kellyn is a fine MLS player but just not good enough at international level.
McKennie doesnt currently have the discipline to play a 6. He doesn't play anywhere consistently for his club team, so you cant say he has proved it there either.
Rudyjax
AG
Agree with you on the 6.

McKennie has started consistently when healthy tho.

Rudyjax
AG

No one gives a sheet.
boogieman
AG
Also curious to see the pricing for the tickets.
Rudyjax
AG
boogieman said:

Also curious to see the pricing for the tickets.

Price doesn't matter when the interest is high.
DeangeloVickers
AG
$28-$200

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/15005710333C0F8C?utm_source=ussoccer.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=mntvcuba-dc

Audi Field is a great venue
PatAg
AG
Sorry, I meant he hasn't played a position consistently yet. Now that he's got a real coach, he might start to gain that though.
PatAg
AG
I'm convinced we're struggling because Nike designed those horrible red jerseys for us. Makes us look like an amateur team from Central America.
agdoc2001
AG
PatAg said:

Makes us look like an amateur team from Central America.

If the shoe fits...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FIDO95
AG
PatAg said:

I'm convinced we're struggling because Nike designed those horrible red jerseys for us. Makes us look like an amateur team from Central America.

That summarizes everything wrong with the program... Zero consistent identity and vision. Not on the field, not in the locker room, and especially not in the board room. The constant rotating of kits is just the same problem manifested in another way.

Actually let me correct something that is consistent: constant mediocrity and failure to live up to potential
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Berhalter interview this mornings on SiriusXM was pitiful

Here's how I heard it as a self proclaimed negative nancy.....I have a system and we're gonna run it....whoever I pick be damned
PatAg
AG
I think he already forfeited whatever goodwill he had. I think he does understand the game, but Im not sure he seems willing to adapt his coaching philosophy to the player pool..or even the logistics of national team availability vs club
jeffk
AG
How many Cuban players will defect during their trip? I'll set the O/U at 1.5.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
2 years since Trinidad and we are exactly where we were then.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Just about all of my interest and enthusiasm for the team has evaporated and that makes me really sad.
DeangeloVickers
AG

who?mikejones
AG
PatAg
AG
The thing is, the overall program IS in a MUCH better spot than 8 years ago. The problem is, for god knows what reason, we are insisting on choosing all these players we KNOW arent good enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.