***USMNT 2019***

94,979 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deadbq03 said:

I think you're right on as far as development is concerned. I suppose where I'm coming from is that soccer is a popular option at age 6, but many of the parents are disengaged because it's not a sport that they're as familiar with as other sports. I'd focus the super young rec leagues on having a fun family experience. Shoot there's a lot of moms out there who did play soccer... take advantage of that and have mom-son rec opportunities where the little boys get to play with their mommies. I think something needs to be done to drum up enthusiasm from parents. Grow popularity of the sport and then yes, as the cream rises to the top we desperately need a consistent development strategy.
I have to disagree with the bolded part. I'm a swim parent, never ever thought about swimming competitively but am actively engaged as are most of the other swim parents.

I don't know about soccer clubs but I do know that USA Swimming have accreditation levels for clubs that meet certain standards. On top of that, almost all the clubs have USA Swimming accredited coaches coaching at all levels, even those at 6 and under. I think it's much cheaper to get basic coaching accreditation in swimming than soccer.

I don't know about cost for soccer clubs but for swim clubs it's not too exorbitant.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
The problem with soccer is the score isn't high enough.

Ways to fix it:

1. Add a blue line like youth American soccer. It would be halfway between midfield and goal line. You cannot be offside on your end of the blue line. Bam. More goals.
2. Any goal between the 6 and 12 is two points. Any goal between the 12-18 is 3 points. Any goal beyond the 18 is 4 points. Any goal behind the blue line is 5 points. Bam. Fixed.
3. Make the goal bigger. Maybe 10 feet high. Bam. Fixed.
4. Allow another player to use their hands inside the other team goal box. The can't catch it, but they can hit it like a volleyball and slam it into the goal. Bam. Fixed.

I think if we implement these laws, more Americans would watch the sport.

Texaggie7nine
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Yeah, lets totally american the crap out of the worlds most popular sport to appease americans.
AgGrad99
AG
tysker
AG
I'm in but only if its a Red White and Blue line
deadbq03
AG
I agree completely on accreditation... but on a simpler level, the parent has to relate to the sport I think. There's always exceptions of course.

With your swim team example, I'd bet a coke that you had fun with your kids in a pool when they were little. That builds an affinity for the sport for both the parent and the child. You probably got to witness first-hand that they were little fish and so the idea got planted that maybe swim team would be good for them (that's exactly what's happening with me and my oldest right now. Dude has zero coordination for team sports but can swim like a little champ).

IMO this doesn't happen enough with soccer whereas lots of kids toss a baseball, football or shoot hoops with dad which builds bonds and helps dad see what sport they're good at so they steer them towards it. I'm suggesting that a way to "jump start" more interest in the sport itself would be to promote fun parent-child experiences at the young ages. I don't view it as a development strategy but rather a marketing strategy for the sport as a whole.
Rudyjax
AG
salloh_tamu said:

Yeah, lets totally american the crap out of the worlds most popular sport to appease americans.
Better idea. Let's let everyone BUT the keeper use their hands. They just can't catch it.
AgGrad99
AG
This guy's on board:

Pahdz
Biggest problem is the majority of American males still view the sport and it's players as soft. Diving and embellishment does the game no favors in the eye of the average American male sports fan.
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

Biggest problem is the majority of American males still view the sport and it's players as soft. Diving and embellishment does the game no favors in the eye of the average American male sports fan.

Anyone who thinks soccer players are soft should volunteer to take spikes to the shin and see how they react.

But yeah. The typical South American embellishment is ridiculous.
Rudyjax
AG
Rumblings in the Twitterverse that Tyler Adams is going back to Germany and Reggie Cannon added.

ja86
AG
he was going to be stuck playing RB, don't blame RB Leipzig for wanting him back.
PatAg
AG
I know it's a week until the game, but let's take development discussion to the thread that already has that title. If we actually don't have Tyler Adams for this tournament I would be very surprised.
PatAg
AG
I didn't see anyone with a check mark state discuss this rumor about Adams. Someone could have picked up a knock in the game or practice.
ja86
AG
Cannon part is confirmed by other sources. Since they brought in a RB the speculation is that it is Adams.
Rudyjax
AG
So here's the pessimist in me:
Tyler didn't want to play RB.

Here's the pragmatist in me:
Tyler played a compete MLs season roled into the end of a Bundesliga season and needs rest.
PatAg
AG
Optimist
Adams is playing the 6 and not RB.

Adams was most likely not playing the first game anyways, and someone else is hurt.
PatAg
AG
Guess we'll know for sure in a few hours
Watch them try to sneak in the announcement during the women's game.
Texaggie7nine
Pahdz said:

You want the best american male youth athletes to get into soccer more? You have to get to the girls first. If school girls dig soccer stars the way they dig football and basketball stars in their school then you will have more guys playing soccer.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
What if we just get all our players for the USWNT to identify as male for the next World Cup. We might actually make the tournament if they did.
7nine
Rudyjax
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

What if we just get all our players for the USWNT to identify as male for the next World Cup. We might actually make the tournament if they did.

A high school boys team could beat the USWNT.

Texaggie7nine
I Am Mine said:

Texaggie7nine said:

And unfortunately the USMNT as it is right now.
7nine
Rudyjax
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I Am Mine said:

Texaggie7nine said:

And unfortunately the USMNT as it is right now.

I'd be ok adding Pulisic, Sargent, Adams and McKennie to the U20 team to give it a go.
OregonAggie
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Pahdz said:

You want the best american male youth athletes to get into soccer more? You have to get to the girls first. If school girls dig soccer stars the way they dig football and basketball stars in their school then you will have more guys playing soccer.

Not sure about you boys but us soccer guys did ok for ourselves in my neck of the woods.
akm91
AG
I Am Mine said:

Texaggie7nine said:

A high school boys team demolished the USWNT.

Texaggie7nine
OregonAggie said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Pahdz said:

Not sure about you boys but us soccer guys did ok for ourselves in my neck of the woods.
I was in highschool in the mid 90s. The soccer guys were kind of their own thing separate from the rest of the jocks. Well soccer and water polo guys were. They kind of only went out with soccer and water polo chicks.
7nine
PatAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

OregonAggie said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Pahdz said:

I was in highschool in the mid 90s. The soccer guys were kind of their own thing separate from the rest of the jocks. Well soccer and water polo guys were. They kind of only went out with soccer and water polo chicks.

Theres your explanation, not exactly a relevant experience to today, haha.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

Optimist
Adams is playing the 6 and not RB.
I'd love to see him take Trapp's spot.

Leipzig has played him on both the left side and the right side of their midfield pairing, and once as solo DM. Dude belongs somewhere in the middle of the field.
PatAg
AG
Fox sports confirming no Adams due to nagging injury from Bundesliga
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Fox sports confirming no Adams due to nagging injury from Bundesliga

It is just the gold cup. I'm ok if it gets cannon playing time.
PatAg
AG
Just makes it harder to evaluate the team and coach if you never have your first selection available..and in this case maybe your most important player tactically.

If this allows him to be rested for next year it's probably worth it though, long term.
akm91
AG
I say slot McKennie in at the 6 and have Pulisic and Holmes play the dual 10's. Bradley's and Trapp's lack of speed will get exposed.
PatAg
AG
I'd be ok with Bradely Holmes mckennie and Pulisic on the wing with freedom to rotate
OregonAggie
AG
High school late nineties in the Dallas area. The soccer guys at my high school were involved in pretty much every party in our town so my experience was a little different.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.