***USMNT 2019***

94,583 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PatAg said:

Great header from Dest to Arriola, great cross to Morris, excellent service to Zardes who drives it in
Beautiful sequence.
PatAg
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

I agree with the *****ing, but it's nice to be up 2-0. Both things can be true.
Some things are better, but some things are still badly wrong unfortunately.
Thunder18
AG
Morris looks good, nice to see how much his left foot is developing
who?mikejones
AG
PatAg said:

who?mikejones said:

No regrets i didnt turn the game on
well , we're up 2-0 so

Ive found my calling
boogieman
AG
Is it enough to just win tonight? Do we need a certain goal differential? What helps us advance to the next round?
Unemployed
AG
Guys, 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in soccer.
PatAg
AG
what a freaking header
Unemployed
AG
RealTalk said:

Guys, 2-0 is the most dangerous lead in soccer.
Whew...glad we avoided that potential disaster.
Pound the Rock
AG
Confirmed. Canada forgot to get off the plane.
PatAg
AG
boogieman said:

Is it enough to just win tonight? Do we need a certain goal differential? What helps us advance to the next round?
im pretty sure we need to win both games and gain at least +2 in differential
boogieman
AG
Is Canada tanking?
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

boogieman said:

Have they already played Cuba twice?
Pound the Rock
AG
boogieman said:

Is Canada tanking?

They want berhalter to remain coach as long as possible.
PatAg
AG
I like Dest going for goal there, that pass would have been very difficult to make to McKennie compared to the opening he had on goal
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

PatAg said:

boogieman said:

Have they already played Cuba twice?
yea, this is their last game, and we play cuba once more
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

I like Dest going for goal there, that pass would have been very difficult to make to McKennie compared to the opening he had on goal
And I like him going far post. Nearly had it.
boogieman
AG
So close for Dest. I hope he gets one tonight.
deadbq03
AG
Brooks needs more apps. He's probably the worst so far tonight and that is crazy.
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Brooks needs more apps. He's probably the worst so far tonight and that is crazy.
he's also physically dominating them when the ball is near them. was out hurt for quite some time until recently
Pound the Rock
AG
PatAg said:

deadbq03 said:

he's also physically dominating them when the ball is near them. was out hurt for quite some time until recently

That's the key. His physicality is severely limiting their forwards from getting clean touches/looks.
PatAg
AG
The linesman should be able to spot that penalty for the ref

and what is that idiot doing, you havent been able to do that for like a decade
boogieman
AG
So weird by Canada.
Pound the Rock
AG
Been pretty impressed with lletget this game.
Unemployed
AG
Spent three minutes sorting out the illegal back pass and only have 1 minute of stoppage time.
PatAg
AG
we need our resident ref to come in and explain what should have happened there
PatAg
AG
There is still plenty to work on and improve, but the players seem way more connected today. Moving cohesively on defense for the most part.
Unemployed
AG
PatAg said:

The ref got it right. You can't circumvent the rule by intentionally scooping the ball up in order to head it back to the goalie.

Quote:

Goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball if the ball is played back to them by an action other than a kick or throw-in (such as a header), but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.

If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not.
deadbq03
AG
Man. Second time in a month I've seen the indirect free kick and I'd never seen it before that (other time was horrible back pass in a Leipzig game that the keeper had to swat away from goal).

To be fair, I've only been watching soccer regularly for 3 years or so, but still.
PatAg
AG
RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

The ref got it right. You can't circumvent the rule by intentionally scooping the ball up in order to head it back to the goalie.

Quote:

Goalkeepers are allowed to handle the ball if the ball is played back to them by an action other than a kick or throw-in (such as a header), but defenders are not permitted to attempt to use a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.

If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not.

No i meant, should it have been a card for doing it. Why was the ball not placed where the foul occurred? So he didnt card the defender, and he moved the kick to the corner of the 6. Maybe he didnt know very well either
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Man. Second time in a month I've seen the indirect free kick and I'd never seen it before that (other time was horrible back pass in a Leipzig game that the keeper had to swat away from goal).

To be fair, I've only been watching soccer regularly for 3 years or so, but still.
It doesnt happen often at the pro level.
deadbq03
AG
Thanks for adding the rule!
PatAg
AG
Beckerman sighting in the crowd
PatAg
AG
I will say, there was a point we were complaining about why we were still just trying to build from the back after we sucked Canada upfield. About 5-10 minutes later we did start playing more direct, and had a ton of chances. I do wonder if that is from a Gregg direction or the players just did it.

We also are pressing way more defensively than we had in any game under Gregg before, where we basically played very passively.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

I will say, there was a point we were complaining about why we were still just trying to build from the back after we sucked Canada upfield. About 5-10 minutes later we did start playing more direct, and had a ton of chances. I do wonder if that is from a Gregg direction or the players just did it.
Even if he didn't direct it, then it means they're playing with some freedom, which I also like.
LeonardSkinner
PatAg said:

RealTalk said:

PatAg said:

Quote:

No i meant, should it have been a card for doing it. Why was the ball not placed where the foul occurred? So he didnt card the defender, and he moved the kick to the corner of the 6. Maybe he didnt know very well either

He should have cautioned the defender. Moving the ball to the closest point of the 6 yard box, if the infraction occurs inside the goal area, is correct (as far as I can remember).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.