***USMNT 2019***

94,573 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I frequent americansoccernow.com and starsandstripesfc.com to keep track of USMNT players and also the youth players. They periodically have articles about how the young players are doing.

Here's an example of article about where the youth players are playing next season:
Youth Player Movement

I also listen to Total Soccer Show Podcast as well as Top Drawer Soccer Show Podcast, with the latter more devoted to youth players.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
Stars and Stripes gives a weekly update on how Americans abroad fared.
ChipFTAC01
AG
The USMNT page on Wikipedia is well kept up with current rosters, recent callups and links to their clubs and stuff.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Book. Marked.

Thanks guys! I think Stars and Stripes FC is exactly what I was looking for in terms of who & where to watch snapshots.
captainsubtext
You can go here if you want more info on

Youth National Team topics.
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/youth-national-teams.255/

Yanks Abroad for younger and established players.
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/yanks-abroad.41/

US Men's team.
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/usa-men-news-analysis.180/

Rudyjax
AG
When healthy, he's by far our best option at 9 on the MNT. Anyone know what Berholter sees in Zardes??

jeffk
AG
Zardes and CB have been together a long time. I think he fell back on a known quantity when picking his roster for the Gold Cup. Altidore was coming off (another) injury in the months leading up to the tournament so his fitness may have been an issue. Also, Jozy is incredibly streaky IMO. He'll have a run of games like he's having now where he look other-worldly and then he'll disappear for a while.

Hopefully, CB learns from his roster flubs and takes a few risks and that means leaving Ol' Stone Touch Zardes at home from here on out. That said, Jozy's no spring chicken, so we shouldn't be pinning our hopes and dreams to him going forward either.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Zardes and CB have been together a long time. I think he fell back on a known quantity when picking his roster for the Gold Cup.
I'd imagine this same reasoning is why he tends to lean on Trapp over some other stronger options.

And agreed on Jozy. I think he and Bradley can definitely contribute in qualifying and as a veteran presence on the team, but I am strongly hoping that he isn't our first choice striker by the time the World Cup rolls around.
OregonAggie
AG
fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Zardes and CB have been together a long time. I think he fell back on a known quantity when picking his roster for the Gold Cup.
I'd imagine this same reasoning is why he tends to lean on Trapp over some other stronger options.

And agreed on Jozy. I think he and Bradley can definitely contribute in qualifying and as a veteran presence on the team, but I am strongly hoping that he isn't our first choice striker by the time the World Cup rolls around.

I think having Trapp and Zardes around is good for the team overall since it is a new system to all the other guys, I just don't think they need to see the field.

On your last point, I fully agree with that. If Jozy is still starting in 2 years that means we haven't had a young kid develop. I pray we won't be in that position but Jozy won't be so old that he can't contribute...it would just lower my expectations of what the team could do.
tysker
AG
Jozy is still the best holding forward in the pool. The trick will be if we can find a complimentary off ball striker to Jozy (like Charlie Davies back in the day). Assuming of course GB wants to play with 2 forwards.
akm91
AG
Praying Johansson will stay healthy and get consistent playing time @ Hammarby to be called back into USMNT camps.

Hopefully Wood will get out of his funk and back to being productive to be called back into camp to push the forward pool. Just think it was just a year ago, Wood scored against Columbia.

And oh yeah, that's a pretty slick pass by Weah!

akm91
AG
Wolff is joining Austin FC. Now Berhalter needs to find a replacement on his staff.
OregonAggie
AG
akm91 said:

Wolff is joining Austin FC. Now Berhalter needs to find a replacement on his staff.

Yes he does. I wonder if Wolff win run the same type of system or not. It would be beneficial if we had a few club teams run systems very similar to the USMNT.
fig96
AG
Just watched the presser introducing him, sounds like Wolff wants to be attacking but isn't locked into a system. He seems to be really highly thought of in coaching circles (apparently the Rapids wanted him), I'm intrigued to see what he can do in Austin.
Rudyjax
AG
Out in Left Field
AG
Zardes makes Long look silly

fig96
AG
Um, not really?

Zardes made a nice play with the little flick, but that's a difficult ball to defend. Long tried to put a body on him and force him outside, which is the right play in that situation.
PatAg
AG
fig96 said:

Um, not really?

Zardes made a nice play with the little flick, but that's a difficult ball to defend. Long tried to put a body on him and force him outside, which is the right play in that situation.
Great play by Zardes, where is the rest of the defense on the trailing Columbus player?
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

Um, not really?

Great play by Zardes, where is the rest of the defense on the trailing Columbus player?
Yup, blame is being pinned on the wrong player here.
Rudyjax
AG
I was today years old when I learned drawing a foul can be credited with an assist.

JJxvi
AG
[ol]
  • An assist was awarded to the player who had given the last pass to the goalscorer.
  • In addition, the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal.
  • After goals from rebounds those players were awarded an assist who had shot on target.
  • After goals scored on penalty or by a directly converted free-kick the fouled player received a point.
  • In case that the goalscorer had laid on the goal for himself (dribble, solo run), no assists were awarded.
  • No assists were awarded, either, if the goalscorer took advantage of a missed pass by an opponent.
  • [/ol]

I think I'd heard of it, but Ive never looked at the full FIFA criteria, above from wikipedia
    PatAg
    AG
    I never knew they got a credited assist, but they definitely should. They create the goal scoring opportunity.
    Rudyjax
    AG
    Well **** me up the ass with a 10 foot pole.

PatAg
    AG
    I Am Mine said:

Well **** me up the ass with a 10 foot pole.

I get always wanting to play for a country, but I feel like I would take it personally that I've never been called up until now. Same for these kids that have swapped(or are considering it) to Mexico after spending all their time in the US youth system.
    Rudyjax
    AG
    I think we'll get him and it's a ploy for Bertsmoker to call him up.
    Rudyjax
    AG

I love this kid.
    Rudyjax
    AG
    jeffk
    AG
    Need to bust out the #Pray4Steffen hashtag?
    MookieBlaylock
    AG
    JJxvi said:

[ol]
  • An assist was awarded to the player who had given the last pass to the goalscorer.
  • In addition, the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal.
  • After goals from rebounds those players were awarded an assist who had shot on target.
  • After goals scored on penalty or by a directly converted free-kick the fouled player received a point.
  • In case that the goalscorer had laid on the goal for himself (dribble, solo run), no assists were awarded.
  • No assists were awarded, either, if the goalscorer took advantage of a missed pass by an opponent.
  • [/ol]

I think I'd heard of it, but Ive never looked at the full FIFA criteria, above from wikipedia

Well seems to me Morgan should have won the golden boot over that crappy chick
    OregonAggie
    AG
    Roster for September friendlies announced.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/08/28/usmnt-roster-mexico-uruguay-friendlies-dest-pomykal-sargent-pulisic

GOALKEEPERS (4): Jesse Gonzalez (FC Dallas; 0/0), Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 60/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 8/0), Zack Steffen (Fortuna Dusseldorf/GER; 15/0)

DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 37/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 6/0), Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 7/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 11/2), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 8/0),) Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 35/1), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 10/2)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 9/2), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 14/3), Alfredo Morales (Fortuna Dusseldorf/GER; 13/0), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 15/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 19/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 1/0)

FORWARDS (6): Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 3/0), Tyler Boyd (Besiktas/TUR; 5/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 33/5), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 31/13), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 7/2), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 51/10)
    Chef Demas 2020
    AG
    This is a great first step for Berhalter.....but he has a lot to prove moving forward.

I am happy with this list. Wish Weah and Adams were healthy enough to join.
    Rudyjax
    AG
    salloh_tamu said:

This is a great first step for Berhalter.....but he has a lot to prove moving forward.

I am happy with this list. Wish Weah and Adams were healthy enough to join.

Yep.

I like this roster.
    fig96
    AG
    Agreed.

Anyone on this list not cap-tied other than Dest?
    Idk3
    AG
    JGonzalez isn't cap tied yet either if I'm not mistaken.

I wish either Trapp or Roldan were left off and Emerson Hyndaman was called up. But really glad Dest got the call
    Furlock Bones
    AG
    No Omar. Addition by subtraction my friends.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.