***USMNT 2019***

94,973 Views | 1288 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PatAg
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OregonAggie said:

JJxvi said:

Has basically everyone realized now that the Waldo's are the best and most iconic jersey combination we've ever had? I feel like even the current mens jersey is a nod to going back to that theme. Although they still havent given up the idiotic ghost that we are somehow classy and historic just with a white t-shirt for world cups, judging by the women's shirt.

Someone else, which might have been you, said we should make them out national shirt like the Argentina stripe jersey. I'm down 100%

It might have been me. It would be a uniquely American look. You can still vary it from year to year slightly just like Brazil and Argentina and Croatia and england do, but it's the hoops. That way if I'm wearing a 2012 jersey or a 2022 jersey it will still have the same general theme.
Bryan98
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

OregonAggie said:

JJxvi said:

Has basically everyone realized now that the Waldo's are the best and most iconic jersey combination we've ever had? I feel like even the current mens jersey is a nod to going back to that theme. Although they still havent given up the idiotic ghost that we are somehow classy and historic just with a white t-shirt for world cups, judging by the women's shirt.

Someone else, which might have been you, said we should make them out national shirt like the Argentina stripe jersey. I'm down 100%

It might have been me. It would be a uniquely American look. You can still vary it from year to year slightly just like Brazil and Argentina and Croatia and england do, but it's the hoops. That way if I'm wearing a 2012 jersey or a 2022 jersey it will still have the same general theme.
100%. Waldos forever! It could be so easily updated with the new badge, keep the blue collar ring, lose the sublimated sash (which someone will now comment upon having never noticed).

Just one question for the OP of this quote: What do you mean by men and women's shirts? They are both wearing the same red jerseys with sublimated stripes. It remains to be seen whether the guys wear the new white ones, but I'm sure we'll know soon enough. They have shared jerseys for quite some time, with a couple exceptions like the incredible Gold Cup jerseys from two years ago and the hideous white shirts with black and neon for the previous WWC.
Bryan98
AG
Also:

https://www.blackandredunited.com/usmnt/2017/2/27/14731088/usa-jersey-usmnt-uswnt-united-states-fifa-world-cup

Article is titled "US Soccer needs an identity, and the Waldo jersey is the answer"
ChipFTAC01
AG
I've probably read that article a dozen times and I get fired up every time I read it.
Rudyjax
AG
Close to a waldo....

https://www.uksoccershop.com/p-103604/2018-2019-usa-home-concept-football-shirt.html
JJxvi
AG
Bryan98 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

OregonAggie said:

JJxvi said:

100%. Waldos forever! It could be so easily updated with the new badge, keep the blue collar ring, lose the sublimated sash (which someone will now comment upon having never noticed).

Just one question for the OP of this quote: What do you mean by men and women's shirts? They are both wearing the same red jerseys with sublimated stripes. It remains to be seen whether the guys wear the new white ones, but I'm sure we'll know soon enough. They have shared jerseys for quite some time, with a couple exceptions like the incredible Gold Cup jerseys from two years ago and the hideous white shirts with black and neon for the previous WWC.
The last primary whites I have seen for the USMNT are these.

The primary women's world cup jersey are these...

You are correct that the current red alternates most recently seen are the same. I'm not sure what the US is wearing in the gold cup as the primary yet.
JJxvi
AG
But even if the men are switching to that as well, my point still stands...the federation (or whoever) always chooses a white t-shirt for world cups.
Pahdz
Hooped socks
Ag by Vows
I really don't like the reds they're wearing now. You can't see the numbers and they look like any other team wearing all red jerseys.

I like the most recent primary whites with the 3/4 stripes. Those plus the Waldos would work for me.
PatAg
AG
Ag by Vows said:

I really don't like the reds they're wearing now. You can't see the numbers and they look like any other team wearing all red jerseys.

I like the most recent primary whites with the 3/4 stripes. Those plus the Waldos would work for me.
The red is the wrong shade as well
jeffk
AG
It's been interesting to see Nike struggle to nail down the correct shades of blue and red. Too bad they don't have something tangible to reference, like a flag or something.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

It's been interesting to see Nike struggle to nail down the correct shades of blue and red. Too bad they don't have something tangible to reference, like a flag or something.
if only
OregonAggie
AG
I Am Mine said:

OregonAggie said:

deadbq03 said:

salloh_tamu said:

What are some thoughts on Tyler Boyd? LW/ST who is a dual national with New Zealand. He is 24 and is holding out for the US to come calling....

He had 5 goals and 3 assists in the Super Lig this year....
I felt compelled to go back to page 4 and give this a blue star. He was fantastic last night. I'm glad GB called him up... like PatAg mentioned, he's the kinda player that would've been overlooked in the past.

I think the kid looked great last night and might stabilize our right wing spot....BUT it was against Guyana. Wondo scored tons of MLS goals and also put in probably 10-12 goals for the USMNT against a ton of minnows. Let's see how he looks against T&T and Panama. Then Costa Rica or Mexico.

Good news is he's young and I'm excited to see him grow. This kid could very well get a call from a side in a good Euro league and develop into a really good player. Bundesliga or Dutch League would be good fits IMO.
You know what is scary? He's the only one that looked really good. Pulisic had some flashes. McKennie had some too. Boyd looked really good the entire match.

And they went from playing the American Style Soccer (ASS) to playing more direct to get the results.

I fully agree with what you wrote. I feel like we're still waiting to see Pulisic just dominate a game and expect him to but I don't know if we'll ever really see that happen. I really like Mckennie a lot and wish he didn't get hurt with that tackle he made in March.

I say again, I really liked watching Boyd last night. I also want to see Holmes start a game. I think watching him, Boyd, and Pulisic on the field at the same time would be a damn good attacking display...when they stop playing ASS and just play soccer.
Rudyjax
AG
My daughters coach said that the US was out coached.

I'm still learning the game trying to go from a casual fan to a more knowledgeable fan, and he played MLS so I'll pretend he knows more than me (kidding).
Pound the Rock
AG
OregonAggie said:

I Am Mine said:

OregonAggie said:

deadbq03 said:

salloh_tamu said:

What are some thoughts on Tyler Boyd? LW/ST who is a dual national with New Zealand. He is 24 and is holding out for the US to come calling....

He had 5 goals and 3 assists in the Super Lig this year....
I felt compelled to go back to page 4 and give this a blue star. He was fantastic last night. I'm glad GB called him up... like PatAg mentioned, he's the kinda player that would've been overlooked in the past.

I think the kid looked great last night and might stabilize our right wing spot....BUT it was against Guyana. Wondo scored tons of MLS goals and also put in probably 10-12 goals for the USMNT against a ton of minnows. Let's see how he looks against T&T and Panama. Then Costa Rica or Mexico.

Good news is he's young and I'm excited to see him grow. This kid could very well get a call from a side in a good Euro league and develop into a really good player. Bundesliga or Dutch League would be good fits IMO.
You know what is scary? He's the only one that looked really good. Pulisic had some flashes. McKennie had some too. Boyd looked really good the entire match.

And they went from playing the American Style Soccer (ASS) to playing more direct to get the results.

I fully agree with what you wrote. I feel like we're still waiting to see Pulisic just dominate a game and expect him to but I don't know if we'll ever really see that happen. I really like Mckennie a lot and wish he didn't get hurt with that tackle he made in March.

I say again, I really liked watching Boyd last night. I also want to see Holmes start a game. I think watching him, Boyd, and Pulisic on the field at the same time would be a damn good attacking display...when they stop playing ASS and just play soccer.

Agreed. If you can get Pulisic, Boyd, Holmes, adams, and McKennie in the midfield you've got something. Pair that with Sargent, weah, and altidore and it's a pretty strong lineup no matter what crazy system we are trying to implement.
Bryan98
AG
I Am Mine said:

My daughters coach said that the US was out coached.

I'm still learning the game trying to go from a casual fan to a more knowledgeable fan, and he played MLS so I'll pretend he knows more than me (kidding).
The Total Soccer Show was pretty complimentary of Guyana, and agreed with their coach's quote about how the players should be proud of themselves. They didn't go typical CONCACAF sh**house defensive foul-fest, just for starters.

That podcast is well above my level of understanding of the game, so that's a place where people wanting to get more into tactics and such. Another terrific resource that I've just dipped my toes into is TIFO Football on Youtube. They did a great tactical preview of the Champions League final and I've heard good things from other people I know watch a ton of soccer.
Bryan98
AG
Back to jerseys, I don't really love the two hooped jerseys from 2018. Maybe I would if we'd made the World Cup, and maybe it's all subconcious bias. I do appreciate that Nike have at least nodded to hoops three years in a row:

2017: Gold Cups, one of our greatest jerseys ever, albeit for just one tournament and only for the men

2018: Two different hooped jerseys! I didn't like the fade thing, but I could see using it to get some variety out of a design that you use frequently - which isn't the case but should be.

2019: These red away jerseys have a sublimated stars and stripes design, which isn't what I want but is at least a nod in the correct direction, and possibly a hint that Nike is acknowledging hoops as an integral part of our identity.

I do think the white home unis the women are wearing are our best plain whites since the Centennials. I don't know, they're classy but they're boring? Maybe that goes for most plain white jerseys.
OregonAggie
AG
I would like to make a motion amongst the group to agree to refer to Paul Arriola as "Paulie Nipples" moving forward. I think it's a great nickname.

PatAg
AG
Eyyyy there he is! Paulie Nips
PatAg
AG
They definitely had a plan to stop our buildup, but I do wonder how much of that was a lack of execution on our part as players.
jeffk
AG
My Beckerman jersey arrived and it's everything I thought it would be. I think I can feel my dreads starting to come in.
Dre_00
Have you also started being picked for jobs in spite of not being as qualified as others? People been praising your work ethic despite not being all that great at what you do?
jeffk
AG
Lord, I hope so! Fixing to write a dissertation and start a job search so that'd be amazing.
JJxvi
AG
Just like i thought. The men are still wearing the white jerseys with the quasi half hoops.
Bryan98
AG
JJxvi said:

Just like i thought. The men are still wearing the white jerseys with the quasi half hoops.

Yep, saw that.
monarch
S
Maybe Jill Ellis needs to coach the men's team...

Just thinking.
PatAg
AG
Another person confusing the men's and women's games.
Bryan98
AG
monarch said:

Maybe Jill Ellis needs to coach the men's team...

Just thinking.

I can't believe you liked anything you saw today.
PatAg
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/usa-trinidad-and-tobago-gold-cup-score-usmnt-015823852.html

decent article with some accompanying footage
monarch
S
Not really; the women are better coached and organised than the men by far. Anybody who thinks otherwise is wrong.
PatAg
AG
monarch said:

Not really; the women are better coached and organised than the men by far. Anybody who thinks otherwise is wrong.
if you say so
snowdog90
monarch said:

Maybe Jill Ellis needs to coach the men's team.

Just thinking.

Ummm. No, thanks.
wangus12
AG
monarch said:

Jill Ellis has been getting out-coached in the women's game for years now and we've basically been winning matches in spite of her poor tactical prowess due to the talent level of the players. She fails to adjust in matches when something isn't working and adapting isn't what she does.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
monarch said:

What examples of this do you have?

She has them basically all year long, while the men's coach gets the team for short duration's. Even with this, I don't see the increase organization or better coaching. I think this would be a fair statement for Pia, but not Ellis.
tysker
AG
wangus12 said:

monarch said:

Jill Ellis has been getting out-coached in the women's game for years now and we've basically been winning matches in spite of her poor tactical prowess due to the talent level of the players. She fails to adjust in matches when something isn't working and adapting isn't what she does.
Watching the Spanish backline continually push Morgan backwards (a dinged up Morgan, mind you) using an offside press and then foul her over and over again shows you there is little tactical awareness or adjustments going on....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.