Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,116 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
aglaw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dallas folks - what's your preferred AA group? Anyone know if there's specifically one for or with a bunch of filthy lawyers? thanks!
Gabster43213
I have only attended about four of them but I am really enjoying the zoom meetings mention on page 22. They are very casual and relaxed, and give everyone the opportunity to participate at his or her own pace.. We meet on Sundays and Thursdays at 7pm.
aggiejim70
AG
aglaw01 said:

Dallas folks - what's your preferred AA group? Anyone know if there's specifically one for or with a bunch of filthy lawyers? thanks!
Educated guess is there are a great number of lawyer groups in the greater DFW area. Get active in a local group, and the lawyers will find you.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
14Clubs
Aglaw, there are a lot of groups in Dallas and there are of lawyers in groups. I go to Preston 6PM, Lakewood and the Saturday morning Men's Big Book Study at the Spiritual Center (Inwood/NW Hwy). I know multiple lawyers in all 3 of these meetings.

There are groups for lawyers (actually the legal profession). I think they are called LCL. You might try Dallas Intergroup and they might be able to direct you. I am not sure why they have a special group, but apparently they do.
wbt5845
AG
For the thought of the spouse not being supportive....

I can totally relate to that. Seems weird that the spouse harped on me for so long to work on my health, then is non-supportive or sometimes downright subversive towards the changes I've made.

Sometimes I think it's just not paying attention, but oft times I think it's some jealousy, or envy, or I don't know what.

All I know - I control me - the border of me is right there at my mouth and I control that which passes. My choices, my decisions, my control. I will not empower anyone else to control me, never again.
pinkdog
Here it is!

I haven't had a drink in 19 DAYS
My eyes are clear and bright without that haze
I like the preacher from the church of Christ
Sorry that I cried when I talked to you last night.

In addition to being grateful for 19 days of sobriety I am also grateful for the men and women who have sacrificed everything to protect our beautiful country. God bless America.
Gabster43213
Pink,

Congratulations on the 19 days, and and I wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph !!!
Gabster43213
Cant get into Zoom for some reason. Sorry.
pinkdog
Sorry Gabster. Get it worked out by Thursday so you can hear me ramble about being overwhelmed by my sponsor. (Kind joking tone!)
Gabster43213
pink,

It worked when I used the web address provided on page 21 of this thread.

I plan to be there on Thursday. Would be glad to share contact information then if you wish.

Day 20 should be coming up for you soon !!!
pinkdog
God, I feel discouraged. Last night at my home AA meeting I really broke down sobbing, like ugly crying meltdown and had to excuse myself from the room. (Hard to picture from me, right?) I feel like I can't face those people again. I'm a crier and I'm always the only one that cries. I know I need to just get over myself but it is a humbling process. I
RickSawyer
AG
pinkdog said:

God, I feel discouraged. Last night at my home AA meeting I really broke down sobbing, like ugly crying meltdown and had to excuse myself from the room. (Hard to picture from me, right?) I feel like I can't face those people again. I'm a crier and I'm always the only one that cries. I know I need to just get over myself but it is a humbling process. I

Easier to say this, harder to feel it - separation between mind and heart / logic and emotion but... who cares? You want to cry at AA and you feel like crying at AA... then cry. It's your emotion, you are allowed to feel it and that should be the safest of safe places to feel 'things'.

Jim likely has better advice for you as I didn't go through AA but through the therapy I have done I have learned that I must allow myself to feel something in order to understand it, digest it and let it pass. Years of drinking taught me that bottling up emotions doesn't conduce positive results for me, personally.

Hit 6 years sober on Sep 10th. Staying the course! Keep it up guys.

-Rick
pinkdog
Thank you for the response and encouragement Rick. Now that I go back and read my gripe I am looking at the bigger picturehey, I may cry sometimes but I didn't drink. Day 21 and I am grateful for that.
14Clubs
Pink,

I wouldn't worry about it. There's a reason why there is Kleenex in every AA meeting room I have set foot in. People there are much more interested in seeing you be sober than remembering if you cried or not. Three quarters of them won't remember by the next meeting and the other quarter will forget by the meeting after that.
aggiejim70
AG
pinkdog said:

Pink, as you travel the road of happy destiny, one of the things your gonna loose is your terminal uniqueness. I assure you, you're not the first, or anywhere near the last, person to break down and cry at an AA meeting. People come into AA with feeling of regret, guilt, and shame because they're regretful, ashamed, and guilty. It's much easier, in the short run, to reach for the bottle have one, get tall and to hell with 'em all. That kind of thinking will pass as you go through the steps and address your particular situation. It works, it really does and you'll be there in a week, or month or year to help the next person that breaks down in a meeting. Don't drink and we'll see you Thursday.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
pinkdog
Thank you ags, I appreciate it. Sometimes I think too much and get worked up over nothing. Slowly coming out of my negative funk.
Gabster43213
Pink,

Your reaction at the meeting is perfectly normal. I remember attending my first few meetings and not being able to say anything because of the emotions.

Look for to visiting soon.
pinkdog
Thank you Gabster.
pinkdog
Thank you as always guys for the meeting. And for some real nerd-o-rama, tomorrow will be an exciting day because parents get to come to the book fair at school and shop with their kids. Especially these days I like having something to look forward to.
Gabster43213
Today is day 30. Hopefully I can make it through the day successfully.
wbt5845
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Well, consider not watching the A&M game then.

pinkdog
Big congratulations on that!!
Gabster43213
Thanks, Pink.

Still some temptation especially with the wife out of town. Just trying to stay focused on other things.
Gabster43213
I made the 30 days !!!!
pinkdog
Big congratulations and respect to you for working on something difficult.
Gabster43213
Pink,

Thank you for your note.

I do want to extend this invitation to any Aggies who might be interested in attending an AA zoom meeting. Our meetings are Sunday and Thursday nights at 7pm and typically last for an hour or a little longer. The meetings are low key and typically include a review of last week's game and this week's upcoming opponent. Again, very low key and was the perfect fit for me after trying a zoom group in my local community. A direct link is included near the bottom of page 21 of this thread. Come join us !
Mule_lx
AG
Today is day 999 for me.
aggiejim70
AG
Congrats, now don't drink and don't die and you'll join the four digit club tomorrow.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
wbt5845 said:

Gabster43213 said:

Well, consider not watching the A&M game then.

Army, there's not enough whiskey in the whole world to solve the problem of Texas Aggie Football.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Congratulations, Mule !!!!! Must feel great !
pinkdog
Wow ! Congratulations!
h1ag
AG
I find myself at the beginning of my journey. This is day 3 for me.

Saturday night, after staying up all night Friday smoking brisket and pork butts for the game, I blacked out and apparently got into quite the disagreement with my wife. I remember seeing 43 seconds left on the game clock and saying "welp, time to hit it hard, I guess."

This isn't to place blame on the football team for my issues. I woke up Sunday morning with that too-familiar feeling of time to either apologize to everyone or just stay off my phone for 48 hours until the shame goes away. I told my wife I wanted to stop drinking, and we had a long discussion about it. She was very supportive. She did at one point mention wanting to be able to share watching A&M on fall saturdays with our future kids but the way it was going, Saturdays were going to have to be a "taking the kids to the park all day" time. I realized I can't remember watching a single snap this season even though I've had the games on every week.

I have been drinking pretty much every night for a while. Recently, just 2-4 beers a night, but at least once or twice a week, I hit it hard. I actually know I've pulled back a little bit from a point not too long ago when I was drinking at least 3/4 of a fifth every night. Bourbon at home, gin while travelling. That said, the nights I have really tied one on have gotten much more volatile in the past year. Lost friends and family types of situations.

I've done a sober month each of the past few years, and every single time I'm shocked at the benefits, but I always catch myself, about two weeks in, not counting up the days since my last drink, but rather counting down the days to my next. That alone would be enough for me to want to take a longer-term reevaluation of my relationship with alcohol, even if I were in a vacuum with no family or friends to worry about.

Thursdays are always the rough day at work that leads directly into tying one on, typically starting sometime between 2:30-3:30 in the afternoon, so I definitely want to join the meeting this week.

I do have a question for folks who have tried different things before committing to AA. I've been looking at One Year No Beer since yesterday, and I was curious to see if anyone in this thread had tried that and how it compared to your experiences with AA. I'm not 100% committed to never drinking another drop in my life, but I am committed to not drinking today or tomorrow, and so on until I figure out what in the hell is going on with me and how to best handle it.
aggiejim70
AG
Come join us Thursday at 7. A bunch of Aggies in recovery. Let's discuss it. Scroll back a few posts for the Zoom link. All the best to you.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
h1ag said:

I do have a question for folks who have tried different things before committing to AA. I've been looking at One Year No Beer since yesterday, and I was curious to see if anyone in this thread had tried that and how it compared to your experiences with AA. I'm not 100% committed to never drinking another drop in my life, but I am committed to not drinking today or tomorrow, and so on until I figure out what in the hell is going on with me and how to best handle it.

I know the one year no beer guys quite well, they used to work in my industry. I think their intentions are right but for me they allow just a bit too much leeway.

I recommend reading The Naked Mind. I think you can find it for free online. I also absolutely think you should call in to the zoom meeting.

Great job making a difference today, good luck tomorrow.
14Clubs
h1ag, welcome to the thread!

While I didn't really try any other methods, there are many different paths to sobriety. I have been sober in AA for a while now. I had never even heard of the one year no beer thing until I read it in your post. AA works for me, but I am 100% behind any program that works for others. The gift of sobriety has been the most amazing thing that ever happened to me, and all of the good things that happen now are only because of it. I wish it for anyone that wants it.

As far as a "commitment" to AA, I kind of chuckled at that. I hear it said a lot in the rooms, "just give it a try for 90 days and if it isn't for you, we will gladly refund your misery". It's like any other program, job, hobby, endeavor, etc. - you are going to get out of it what you put in to it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.