Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,117 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
CoachAg85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I cannot believe that we don't have a weekly or every day zoom meeting for alcoholics/addicts with Texas A&M ties. I am not computer savvy, but I will try to look into how to host those or at least set up a link to where we can have a time to discuss all things AA ,NA, etc. Better yet, somebody does know how to do that, I am all in!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
CoachAg85 said:

I cannot believe that we don't have a weekly or every day zoom meeting for alcoholics/addicts with Texas A&M ties. I am not computer savvy, but I will try to look into how to host those or at least set up a link to where we can have a time to discuss all things AA ,NA, etc. Better yet, somebody does know how to do that, I am all in!
Great idea! I'm in!!!! I just don't know how to set that kind of stuff up? I'm an old.
I think it would be healthy thing to be a part of.
ptothemo
AG
I think that is a fantastic idea!

Forgive the length, providing detail - even to the point of it being too much - on things like this is an occupational hazard of mine.

I am not familiar with other platforms, but I am quite familiar with Zoom due to that being what I use for work. Zoom has a free option, but it is limited on the number of people who can join (eight maybe?) and the amount of time the meeting can last (40 minutes I think). The paid options offer much more flexibility and don't have the constraints.

For a number of reasons, I am not comfortable using my corporate account for this, but I will be happy to set up a personal account and facilitate getting this off the ground. The cost of doing so is not something I am worried about for now and is something that can be addressed later when this becomes established.

I am out of town attending to family stuff for a few more days, but I'll keep an eye on this and then get things set up on Sunday or Monday.
aggiejim70
AG
I've "attended" ZOOM Muster, ZOOM SA A&M Club lucheons, ZOOM BQ class reunions, and ZOOM meetings of my home group. Just me let me know the details, and I'm in.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
ptothemo said:

I think that is a fantastic idea!

Forgive the length, providing detail - even to the point of it being too much - on things like this is an occupational hazard of mine.

I am not familiar with other platforms, but I am quite familiar with Zoom due to that being what I use for work. Zoom has a free option, but it is limited on the number of people who can join (eight maybe?) and the amount of time the meeting can last (40 minutes I think). The paid options offer much more flexibility and don't have the constraints.

For a number of reasons, I am not comfortable using my corporate account for this, but I will be happy to set up a personal account and facilitate getting this off the ground. The cost of doing so is not something I am worried about for now and is something that can be addressed later when this becomes established.

I am out of town attending to family stuff for a few more days, but I'll keep an eye on this and then get things set up on Sunday or Monday.

I would be happy to help with $
CoachAg85
CoachAg85
Fyi, I attended a meeting last night that had 20 or so people in it.
TXTransplant
If anyone needs a Zoom ACA meeting, I can get you the info. The meeting I attend regularly will be zoom at least until the end of the year.
aggiejim70
AG
Ptot......Thanks for the offer and to use the King's English. .....Please don't not follow up on this. If you need some financial help, let me add my name to those ready to help. I'm sure we can work out the details.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
Yep, I'm on it. Had an issue with Zoom today due to triggering some flag on their end - duplicate information on my corporate account and the personal account I was creating. They told me it will be resolved in the morning, and I'll get information out to the group when I know this snafu isn't a problem anymore.

Related, my thought is to just pick a day and time (or a few) to get us started. I know we won't be able to pick something that works for everyone, but I'd like to find something that works for most. So, I am throwing Thursday at 6:00pm and Sunday at 5:00pm out there as the first two times to get together. Those that don't have to stick by any means, we just need something concrete as a starting place. I'm happy to take whatever input others have and will check back in the morning once Zoom gets their act together and prior to scheduling anything.
ptothemo
AG
Alright, got everything squared away with Zoom this morning. Following is the link and passcode that will remain consistent for any meetings that I schedule for this. The settings allow for computer audio or phone call, and video has been enabled as well. If anyone would like for me to send them the full invitation including direct dial-in information, please just let me know. I just don't want to post too much out here given bots and such.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09

Passcode (remove all the spaces that I am putting in intentionally): f 2 T S V k

I have scheduled Thursday at 6:00pm and Sunday at 5:00pm, but I am still more than open to thoughts from the group on days, times, and other logistics.

Y'all just let me know if you need any information or details from me.
CoachAg85
I will be there on Sundays but I have IOP's on Monday through Thursday 6-8pm. Great job and thanks for this. Great job working the 12th Step!
14Clubs
Great idea! This reminds me of a meeting I used to go to in Longview. I swear there would be 20 people there and 10 people had on Aggie rings. It was kind of nice as it was one of the first meetings I attended regularly and it sorta made me feel at home, or at least "a part of" in early sobriety.

Glad to see everyone is doing well. I check in here from time to time, but don't really post much.

aggiejim70
AG
Do you still attend meetings in Longview? I have a nephew-in-law, my niece's husband, who just picked up a sixty day chip at a meeting in Longview.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
14Clubs
No, I live in Dallas now. That was back in 2007-8. The meeting I went to was Clean Air by Good Shepherd. I really enjoyed that group. There weren't that many meeting in Longview.

Congrats to your nephew-in-law! That is awesome!
ptothemo
AG
I want to clarify a bit of confusion around the passcodes for Zoom. The passcode that I posted earlier (alpha-numeric) is only needed to join the online meeting. Depending on how you are accessing the online meeting, you may be prompted for it.

However, there is a separate passcode (numeric only) that is needed if you choose to dial in to the Zoom directly by phone. To get to that information, log into the Zoom online and then change your audio settings to phone call rather than computer audio. That will then provide the phone number, passcode, and participant id to use for dial-in audio.

I am trying to avoid posting too much connectivity information out here for security reasons, but I will post more if it becomes apparent that there are any issues with folks getting in and connected up.

We will meet again Sunday at 5:00pm central. Y'all let me know if you need anything from me.
treyyates
AG
A little over a year ago I came to this thread to post that we had just dropped off my mom at rehab who had been a alcoholic for over 40 years. When she made the decision to go she was weeks away from her body shutting down. Now I am happy to say that she is now a year sober and has just become a grandma! Thank you all for the support, if anyone has any doubts that they can stop drinking just know that it is possible and to hang in there! YOU MATTER
CoachAg85
Dadgummit I forgot about the meeting today. I will make next weeks though. Looks like I'm gonna have to do a 10th step about this.
aggiejim70
AG
Don't drink and don't die and you'll have another week sober and join us next Sunday. Ptot should have some more to say on this shortly.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
Given Thanksgiving, we are not going to get together on Thursday and will get back together on Sunday at 5:00pm central. The next Thursday meeting will be on 12/3. On that note, we are still open to adjustment of the schedule if anyone needs it or sees fit. I do want to keep us with some consistency but also want to stay open to days and times to ensure that we keep the momentum going. If anyone has any input there, please just let me know.

It's been really good to put some faces and names with TexAgs handles, and I am looking forward to us keeping this going. We are keeping things pretty informal for now and will continue to see how things evolve from that perspective. I think the main thing is to ensure that everyone knows that they are welcome for discussion, community, or whatever is needed without pressure or pretense.

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I couldn't join the previous meetings but I plan to now. Thanks for setting this up.
aggiejim70
AG
Are we on for the ZOOM meeting at five?

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
CoachAg85
CoachAg85
All Ags in recovery please remember to join us at six on Thursday evenings and five on Sunday evenings. Spread the word to your Aggie buddies in recovery. Gig'em and stay sober!
CoachAg85
Meeting today at 5. Join us! Gig'em
Sticks&Stones
AG
Glad I found this....See y'all Thursday!
aggiejim70
AG
Good meeting tonight, some new faces. Like to see some more of you Sunday.

BTHO Tennessee

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
Due to Christmas Eve, we are not going to meet on Thursday and will pick back up on Sunday at 5:00pm. Everyone have a safe and merry Christmas, we'll see ya on Sunday.
aggiejim70
AG
Merry Christmas to all my Aggie AA brothers and sisters. I'm 67 days out from my 30th (where did the time go?) AA birthday. If the season has you feeling a little anxious, let me suggest a trip down hiway 101 in the Big Book. Remember, Bill put that little jewel at the shank end of the chapter on the 12th step not on page 30 something,

BTHO North Carolina

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tanya 93
2 years comes up in 3 weeks

I am very proud of this
Sticks&Stones
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I am very proud of this
You should be proud...Congrats!
aggiejim70
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I am very proud of this
Congrats, please join us this afternoon.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tanya 93
aggiejim70 said:

Tanya 93 said:

I am very proud of this
Can I get a link so I can do this next time?
aggiejim70
AG
Tanya 93 said:

aggiejim70 said:

Tanya 93 said:

I am very proud of this
Can I get a link so I can do this next time?
Just scroll up a few posts and there is the link.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Ragoo
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I am very proud of this
congrats Tanya

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.