Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,094 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
14Clubs said:

As far as a "commitment" to AA, I kind of chuckled at that. I hear it said a lot in the rooms, "just give it a try for 90 days and if it isn't for you, we will gladly refund your misery".
Was a running gag when my wife and I presented Marriage Encounter weekends. "Try this for 90 days - if you don't like it, you can have your old marriage back."
Gabster43213
H1Ag,

I will probably not be able to get on tomorrow night but certainly will on Sunday.

Look forward to our future conversations.
Mule_lx
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Congrats, now don't drink and don't die and you'll join the four digit club tomorrow.

Haha. Just checked back in. Didn't drink or die. 1,002.
pinkdog
Day 39. I am feeling a lot better physically and mentally than I was and I am so grateful for that. I hoping to take advantage and keep a positive mind set going. I appreciate you ags. We'll see what happens with football this weekend. Going to the game with my husband. I secretly like people watching and like to see people get so worked up over the game.
i is smart
AG
Just saw this thread for the first time. I started tapering significantly about 6 months ago, but haven't had a drop in 108 days.

The hardest part for me is having to confront every day problems and/or stress without the alcohol to numb it. Luckily audiobooks/podcasts along with a long walk clear my mind for the most part.
Gabster43213
Dad Jokes,

Congratulations on your progress !

To everyone, the next zoom call is tonight at 7pm CST. A link to hop on is near the bottom of page 21 of this thread. I recommend to our leader that we start with a toast to the Aggie football team !
Tumble Weed

Rolled out of bed on 4/19/21 and my wife started playing this song as I was brushing my teeth. She laughed, and I sang along with the song. "They tried to make me go to rehab I said NO, NO, NO!"

She told me that I needed some help and she was right. I had tried every trick in the book, and ended up at the same place.

Called 4 different people looking for a personal LCDC. This was my path and I haven't had a drop since. My counselor helped me through detox and I could not do it alone. Met with her 3 or 4 times a week for the first 3 weeks. Now I meet with her once a week. I guess that my point is to get professional help, rehab, private, AA, or otherwise. Just act like you are going to the doctor for your appendix, but it is a different part of the body.

I don't have to tell you what it's like to be consumed by ethanol, for most of you know, and my story is not unique.

I am looking for an AA group in BCS and would be interested in seeing the different options.
aggiejim70
AG
Doing it alone is like masturbation. It feels good for a little while, but sooner or later you get the the idea it would be better if you hade someone to share the moment. It will take you the better part of two minutes to Google AA BCS. I've been to several meetings in the BCS area. Educated guess is BCS has an AA info number answered 24/7. Come join your fellow Aggies in recovery Sunday and Thursday a 7 pm central time.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tumble Weed
I have been told that there are different meeting formats depending on the AA group? Can anyone give me more details.
aggiejim70
AG
There are open meetings where anyone can attend, and closed meetings limited to those with a desire to stop drinking. There are various shades of grey on this depending on the particular group.

Majority of meetings in Texas are discussion meetings where after the preliminaries, How it works, traditions, etc., the group or the chairman for the meeting select a topic for discussion.

Second to that are speakers meetings where an individual tells his or her story. For some reason, Austin seems to be top heavy with speakers meetings.

Many large groups and AA Clubs have meetings dedicated to Big Book, Step or traditions study.

In the larger metro areas you'll find groups for doctors, lawyers etc. As I've stated on earlier posts, if you fall into one of these professions, get active in a local group and the professionals will find you.

I hope this answered your question, if not re-post with more detail and I'll try again. Try and join us Sunday.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Day 1, again

I did not drink to excess yesterday, but even a small amount of liquor makes me short tempered.

And while I can have one or two occasionally, three has become impossible. It invariably turns into 5, or 8, or 12.

I am planning on joining tomorrow night's meeting.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
14Clubs
Yokel,

For me, one is too many, and a thousand are not enough.
pinkdog
Day 60 Gabster!!! Congratulations!!!!
Gabster43213
Thank you, Pink. Now I might starting talking about weeks rather than days !!!
aggiejim70
AG
Please join our group of Aggies in recovery this evening at 7 central time.

[url=https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09][/url]https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Malibu
FWIW, finished year 4 on October 1st and mostly forgot about it. Alcohol is simply something that isn't part of my life anymore nor something that I think about very often. Had an open bar MBA reunion earlier in the month with folks that were more or less drinking buddies in grad school. I had lemonade, they had alcohol, nobody cared or said anything. For those of you still struggling, just know it gets a lot easier.
pinkdog
If I don't drink and don't die then day 60 here.
ptothemo
AG
Reading that just made my morning. Keep up the great work!
aggiejim70
AG
Congratulations.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Congratulations, Pink ! Lets keep it up !
strbrst777
My best friend in high school and best man was smart, talented and well-liked by all. He and I came to A&M together. He finished freshman year and went to North Texas. He by his late 20's was hooked. A promising career down the tubes...wife divorced him....in and out of rehab...died in his mid 40s. Sad!!!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Day 9

Can't make meeting tonight as I'm going to the Stones concert. Hope to be back Thursday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiejim70
AG
Been there, done that, I saw the Stones 1964, they opened for Leslie Gore.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
YokelRidesAgain
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Bet you paid less than 198 dollars for a ticket, too.
aggiejim70
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

aggiejim70 said:

Bet you paid less than 198 dollars for a ticket, too.
I won the tix on KTSA radio. My mother drove me down to the Gunter Hotel to pick them up. She hit the ceiling when she saw the printed price, 10 bucks apiece. The idea that two kids, not old enough to drive, would think about spending 20 dollars in an evening was ridiculous. In 1964 20 dollars is what my folks would have splurged on their anniversary or New Years Eve.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Yokel,

Congrats on your progress! 9 days today means double digits for you tomorrow.

I know some disagree with my philosophy but counting days, for me, keeps me focused and reminds me of the progress I've made.

I liken it, for example, to a goal of losing weight and looking at the scale every day. In fact I wrote down my weight every day for the past year and can report being down 40 pounds from 10 months ago.
pinkdog
Good work!!!
NWE
AG
Just found this thread. Day 31 here. I broke down yesterday at the month mark because I thought about "forever" and it's a scary concept. The milestone of 1 month felt more like a challenge to maintain forever. I have the support of my wife but ultimately I have to destroy the voice in my own head.

I'm in it for the long haul though. Dropping weight and enjoying mornings again.
aggiejim70
AG
You're right, you can't fix the **** in your head with the **** in your head. Come join us Thursday.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Great job, NWE ! Keep it up !
dellgriffith
AG
Just over 2 years ago I admitted to myself I had lost control over alcohol and made a commitment to myself, and no one else, to quit forever. I started with 90 days and just kept going.

I did it with the help of many different books, God and this thread. I found this thread in the first week of my sobriety. So grateful I did because I got so much useful info from this thread that was critical to my success. I thank all of you contributors for that.

I continue to check in on the thread weekly and congratulate everyone fighting the good fight. I am a better everything without booze, eventually quit dipping as well and have zero regrets. Like everyone, I still have bad days but have learned to deal with them without hiding behind booze.
pinkdog
Just throwing this question out here. For anyone new to AA, and married with kids, are you struggling to make it to meetings? Weekdays are out; my husband doesn't get home soon enough to take the kids so I can go. Sometimes weekends get tricky too. My husband might have to go into work or goes to a football game and then Saturday is shot. I've been going sundays but sometimes that gets tied up too; like obligations for work, church or the kids. I guess I feel like I am moving at a snails pace here. Any advice is appreciated.
aggiejim70
AG
Army, there's not enough whiskey in the entire world to solve the problem of Aggie football. It can't be done. It just makes you watch the Cowboys with a hangover. Instead come join the Aggies in recovery. Scroll back a few for the link/

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TXTransplant
pinkdog said:

Just throwing this question out here. For anyone new to AA, and married with kids, are you struggling to make it to meetings? Weekdays are out; my husband doesn't get home soon enough to take the kids so I can go. Sometimes weekends get tricky too. My husband might have to go into work or goes to a football game and then Saturday is shot. I've been going sundays but sometimes that gets tied up too; like obligations for work, church or the kids. I guess I feel like I am moving at a snails pace here. Any advice is appreciated.
I don't go to AA, I go to ACA, but you really just have to make the commitment. I found that Sunday evenings work best for me, and I've stuck with that. I'll be honest, for various different reasons, I haven't been to a meeting since August. But, it's not because I can't - I made the choice to take a sabbatical. But, I also know that I will go back because there really is no other alternative. These meetings are the only place where I feel heard and understood when it comes to this particular issue.

You have to make recovery a priority. Pick the meeting day/time that works best for you and go, even if that means cancelling other plans. Block that time off, and make it non-negotiable. Get your husband on board to support you. Your recovery should be important to him and your family, too.

As an alternative, look into a Zoom meeting. I had to do that when the church my group meets at would not allow meetings. Zoom isn't a great option, but it's better than no meeting.
pinkdog
Agreed. I think there is no other choice than to make it a priority. No one said this was going to be easy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.