Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,110 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

I just thought I'd leave this here, in case it helps anyone.

There is a podcast I like called "In Recovery" hosted by Dr. Nzinga Harrison. She covers addictions of all types, not just substance abuse.

She defines addiction very broadly as basically doing something that has a negative effect on your life (and the lives of your loved ones) and repeating that behavior DESPITE those negative consequences.

It doesn't matter what the behavior is or how often you engage in it (i.e., for alcohol addiction, how much you actually drink is irrelevant). It's the fact that you keep repeating behavior that has such a negative outcome - that is addiction.
TEX......I've re-read your post several times and I'm more than a little intrigued. I'm going to forgo a wordy response, and just ask you to join us Sunday or Thursday at seven to discuss this further. Makes no difference if you're in recovery or not.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
HouAg05
Checking in. Hope everyone is doing well. Just wanted to say I asked and finally was able to get filled Antabuse. Week 2 and it is working great. Not harsh like people say and has somehow helped me mentally and physically. No cravings. Not a long term solution but seems like a great tool for problem drinkers that have lots of triggers and are always thinking about excuses to drink each day or not.
TXTransplant
I usually go to my local ACA meeting on Sunday nights.

If I can't make your meeting, here are a couple of links to specific episodes of her podcast that you might want to listen to. I really enjoy listening to her, and she gives excellent advice/instructions on dealing with various types of addiction, not just your own, but that of family/friends/loved ones, too.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-recovery/id1496791220?i=1000488407066

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-recovery/id1496791220?i=1000495241891

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-recovery/id1496791220?i=1000501572841

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/in-recovery/id1496791220?i=1000527087149
aggiejim70
AG
Let's Define AlcoholismIn Recovery
    • Health & Fitness

Listen on Apple Podcasts

Is alcoholism less serious than other addictions?

The above from the 7066 prompt

I couldn't find the good doctor's definition of alcoholism. By the way is she an MD? So, on first blush, this is were we part ways. I'm an alcoholic, as defined by the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, in my thirty first year of recovery and I haven't spent on minute of that time battling or trying to overcome an addiction.

The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
TXTransplant
Yes, she's an MD. She does not define alcoholism in any of her podcasts. She defines addiction. She also goes through a list of "warning signs" that is widely used in the profession to determine if someone has an addiction. She usually combines these two when discussing the issue.

I linked several podcasts that have been helpful to me. They are all a little different, and it's been a little while since I listened to them, so I'm not exactly sure what the specific content is of each one. I do seem to remember she discusses this definition of addiction in the episode where the woman calls in to ask if her husband has a gambling addiction.

I like it because that's how I feel about it - if you have a habit that is interfering with your life and relationships, it's a problem (assuming you value those relationships).

That particular podcast you mentioned above is a good episode because it talks about how alcohol abuse is often downplayed compared to more serious drugs. But it can absolutely be just as destructive.

You just have to listen to her to understand her approach.
strbrst777
I have a friend who years ago counseled many alcoholics. He told of one man who had been sober for several years. The man decided that he could handel a couple of drinks. He took a couple of drinks and was never completely sober again...he died drunk. My friend preached the funeral. If you think that you can handel it, there is only one way know. Have a drink or two. There is only one way to never know. Don't!
aggiejim70
AG
strbrst777 said:

I have a friend who years ago counseled many alcoholics. He told of one man who had been sober for several years. The man decided that he could handel a couple of drinks. He took a couple of drinks and was never completely sober again...he died drunk. My friend preached the funeral. If you think that you can handel it, there is only one way know. Have a drink or two. There is only one way to never know. Don't!
And that Army, sounds like the gent in question suffered from a disease called alcoholism. That could be the dude and the slippers story right out of the Big Book.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
strbrst777
The perfect song: Honky Tonk Amnesia by Moe Bandy. "One's too many and 12 ain't enough." So true!
MousepadMarauder
AG
Just wanted to drop in and say "thanks" to all of the contributors on this thread. It was a motivator and source of information when I stopped drinking back in May. I have not had a drink since 5/10. I have dropped over 35 pounds and feel better than I can remember.

Somewhere on this thread someone recommended This Naked Mind. Great book. I strongly recommend it to anyone wanting to stop drinking.

I had wanted to stop for years but I was afraid of all of the "side effects" you read about - sweating, nausea, hallucinations, etc. I really believe the fear of the side effects kept me from trying to stop. When I actually did stop I, thankfully, did not experience any negative effects. I think I had an angel on my shoulder helping me make the decision to stop and protecting me from any adverse feelings.

TLDR - Don't let the fear of the alleged "side effects" stop you from trying to quit.

Thanks again to all of you.
ptothemo
AG
Man, that is just awesome, very well done! I will not drink with you today.
pinkdog
Hi, new to this thread. How often do you guys zoom, is it open to everyone? And how would I join in the zoom? I'm uneducated
aggiejim70
AG
We meet Thursday and Sunday at 7 central time. You are most welcome to join us. As stated in many earlier posts, we're somewhere between a formal AA meeting and an Aggie bull session.

Please join us this evening.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
pinkdog
I really thank everyone for the support and openness and willingness to help at the meeting, you are all awesome guys for that. And I adore you Jima straight shooter. I do feel very encouraged and less scared of going to my first AA meeting at my church this week. Thank you again.
Gabster43213
Trying a second time. I am on day 8/ Have to stop or health consequences will be severe.

I tried local zoom group but it simply did not help me because I really needed people who are currently going through the challenge.

I would like to try the meeting mentioned in this thread.
aggiejim70
AG
Were here Sundays and Thursdays at 7 central time. Please join us.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4922070133?pwd=QmRNQmI2NndFc0h4TmJaZXF3d3lqQT09

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
wbt5845
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Trying a second time. I am on day 8/ Have to stop or health consequences will be severe.
Congrats on 8 days. Hell of a good job.
Gabster43213
Thanks, WBT. I actually miscounted. Today is day 15 !
ptothemo
AG
Hey, well done on 15!

I don't want to read too much into "going through the challenge", but I think I know what you are getting at. All I can tell you is that all of us are going through the challenge. Day 15 or day 1500, there is a universal truth to it. Things change with time, sure, but there is something fundamental about the day to day desire to stop drinking and to not stop stopping. That's ultimately the common thread in so many stories, and I hope that the "big huge we" don't lose sight of that.

Reading your post first thing this morning helped me. It helped to me think about things in a way I might not have otherwise today, and it helped me to be grateful for one more single day in recovery. So thank you for that, truly.

I hope that you can join our meeting soon, if not tomorrow evening, and keep up the good fight.
Gabster43213
PTO,

Thanks for the comment.

I guess my comment makes me think of a diet support group where I'm trying to lose 50 pounds and everyone else in the group lost their weight 25 years ago. Yes, their words can be encouraging but it also helps to have someone in the group going through the challenge at the same time.

I certainly look forward to tomorrow evening.
pinkdog
Gabster, I'm about where u are, two weeks sober, very new at all this. I plan to hop on the meeting for some of it this evening. I have young children at home and the husband is out of town today. So we'll see if I can tame this 3 year old at 7:00. Thursday I ought to be able to join with the kids taken care of. I hope there isn't a homicide in this house before then..>; )
Gabster43213
Is there a meeting number or passcode?
ptothemo
AG
Passcode is f2TSVk but I don't think that you should need that. There is direct dial-in info once you join on zoom if you would prefer phone audio. Text or call me at the number below if you have any issues. I'll come back and edit this post in a bit to remove the number.
Gabster43213
Pink,

Thanks for the message. Enjoyed the meeting and the visit.

PTO,

Thanks for the information.
pinkdog
Anybody working today? I'm in healthcare, so yes. Skipped my anxiety pill this morning (they r take as needed per MD) because they have the side effect of headaches. So I'm dealing with some morning anxiety because I don't want to deal with a headache. But glad I'm working because it keeps my mind busy.
Happy Labor Day , ags!
Gabster43213
Sorry, Pink. I'm off today but have plenty of home projects to keep me busy !!!!
pinkdog
Went to my first AA meeting in Brenham. It was amazing. Good group of folks including women. Everyone very friendly and honest. For anyone who's kind of new at this like I am you'll probably see me posting here often to give my little report.
On a silly note when I make it to 19 days I'll be playing that Collin ray song:

I haven't had a drink in 19 days
My eyes are clear and bright without that haze
I needed a new town for my new start
Selling VCRs in Arkansas at a Walmart….

I think I'm on a roll here in Little Rock……
aggiejim70
AG
Congratulations .....Don't drink, go to meetings, keep coming back

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Today is #19 for me ! Thanks for the song, Pink !!!!

pinkdog
Do you know that song? I've been belting it out in the car a few times this week. When I hit day 19 I think I'm gonna modify it to me, like

I think I'm on a roll here in Carmine

Gets my sillys out.
pinkdog
And congratulations!!!!

Yes, I love the song because of the way he chokes out "19 days"
Gabster43213
For those who are currently going through the challenge or went through it in the past year or two, has there a time in which you believe your significant other has been critical and not supportive? If so, how did you deal with it?
pinkdog
The short answer is yes. If you join our zoom tonight, I could explain more. Too much for me to explain in a paragraph. But I can relate, we'll talk next time I "see" you. Trying hard to make it one day at a time. I work today so Collin ray and Taylor Swift can be blasting in the car between my home health visits.
aggiejim70
AG
Critical and non supportive. Good choice of words.
Exactly the response I got from my first wife and my late mother and dad. Pink's right, join us tonight and I'll elaborate.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Great meeting tonight. Thanks to everyone who was there.
pinkdog
Thanks to all. Sorry my husband made a trip upstairs in his boxers if you caught that. Face palm my side of the zoom is going to be the wild one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.