Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,068 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Feeling great! I exercised a lot and ate right In residential. I've lost 15 lbs so far. My wife is so happy! Gonna do in person IOP for 8 weeks. I'll be attending TexAgs meetings too.
Gabster43213
Want to talk to someone off line, please let me know. I would be honored to connect with you.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks. Are you in AA?

Everyone else. I need to find a sponsor still. How do I go about that?
aggiejim70
AG
Get active in a local group, you should have no problem finding a sponsor. When the student is ready the teacher will appear. In the meantime, join us on Thursday and Sunday at 7p. Scroll back a few posts for the link. I won't be there this Thursday, but Ptot will have the meeting up and running.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
To start, congratulations on the steps that you have taken so far, they are to be celebrated. Keep it up!

Tacking on to what Jim said just a bit, I would encourage you to plan to be at meetings 15 minutes early and stay 15 minutes late whenever you can. There is a service aspect to that (putting out chairs, picking up books, etc.) and also a social aspect in getting to spend time with people in the program in a less structured environment. If you have the time for dinner or coffee after meetings, those opportunities will be there too.

In my experience, I don't know that I so much found my sponsor, they found me, or we just found each other. I found myself sitting next to the same guy in meetings and that led to conversations before and after and on to more formalized sponsorship and step work from there. It's a true of example of "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear".

One more note on sponsorship is that I have been in many meetings where people who need or want a sponsor are asked to raise their hands. That allows those in the place to take on a sponsee - either permanently or temporarily - to make themselves available for the connection.

At the risk of sounding preachy, there are a lot of things early in recovery that have to be taken on faith. Finding a sponsor may well be one of those, but the key thing in all of them is to keep showing up, keep doing the work, and keep being open to the experience of those who have come before. Things tend to work themselves out when those occur.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I'll be there from now on every chance I get! Thanks.
Tumble Weed
NWE
AG
Keep it up NA. Rooting for you! Today's day 95 for me. I take pride in the looks my friends give me when they realize I was serious about being done for good. It gives me more motivation to prove to everyone a life without alcohol is truly the best life. Cheers to being present for my wife and kids.
pinkdog
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Day 40
pinkdog
Congratulations!!! Naz!
aggiejim70
AG
Congratulations, now if you don't drink and don't die Pink will pass you her cyber 90-day chip at our Zoom meeting 2/27/22.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Tumble Weed
9 months today.

I used to scoff at a sign that said "celebrate recovery", but now I understand the concept.

So grateful to be defogged. I see the world through a completely different lens. I didn't realize how much strife I was injecting into my marriage and I thought that it was my wife's fault.

NWE
AG
Congrats! Agreed - I'm able to be a better husband/man without it in my life.

Well done, sir!
Rudyjax
AG
No AA for me as I can't behind a lot of the philosophies, but I'm on 19 and haven't felt this good in a long time.
Tumble Weed
Before I went to my first meeting I read the big book cover to cover. I found the personal stories fascinating and was amazed at how many people felt like I did.

One day I will work through the steps. Still trying to find a group in BCS that fits, and then maybe a person to walk through it with.

Still love the personal stories in the aa meetings. There is a camaraderie and understanding among alcoholics that is difficult to describe.

Congratulations on your 19 days. It does get easier after the first 30 days. The detox for me was the worst part of the journey.
pinkdog
Congratulations on 9 months!
pinkdog
Good job on 19 days! I think I felt the same way around that time.
aggiejim70
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Before I went to my first meeting I read the big book cover to cover. I found the personal stories fascinating and was amazed at how many people felt like I did.

One day I will work through the steps. Still trying to find a group in BCS that fits, and then maybe a person to walk through it with.

Still love the personal stories in the aa meetings. There is a camaraderie and understanding among alcoholics that is difficult to describe.

Congratulations on your 19 days. It does get easier after the first 30 days. The detox for me was the worst part of the journey.
There was a time in the distant past where a statement like that was a pet AA peeve of mine. Today, it's been downgraded to mildly amusing. If you will look at the last paragraph on page Roman Numeral 12, and read the black ink on white paper, you'll see that is exactly what's supposed to happen. It should not surprise you that you had the same experience.

If one does a through 5th step and spends that hour in reflection, it should not surprise them the idea that the drink problem is beginning to be solved comes on strong. As you go through the 9th step you shouldn't be surprised when the promises start to come true for you. Same for the promises on page 63.

All the best to you as you trudge the road of happy destiny.

p.s. Congratulations on your 90 days. Join us tomorrow at 7 and we'll have a cyber 90-day chip for you.
Scroll back for the link.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Yes! Congrats and join us tomorrow at 7pm.
Artemus McCrea
AG
Great idea and a worthy addition to TexAgs!
14Clubs
I'm a couple of days late in posting this, but I celebrated 9 years on Monday. On January 24, 2013, I walked into the Preston Group in Dallas and finally surrendered.

As you can imagine, the events leading up to January 24 would not be characterized as a winning streak. I was on about a 3 week mostly gin-fueled bender, MIA from work and society. I was at the point where if I continued doing what I was doing, I was going to lose everything and would never be able to dig myself out of that hole. I picked up that 400 lb phone that Friday night and called someone in the program. Dave W was at my apartment in a couple of hours with some food, vitamins and most importantly hope.

I found a sponsor (David G) and began a journey working the steps in earnest. I had been to AA before so I knew a little, and slowly but surely more was revealed. I read "Upon awakening..." every morning and "When we retire at night..." in the evening from page 86. I learned about these promises that I didn't even know that I wanted.

I found a new freedom and a new happiness. I slowly began to have good things happen in my life that I thought only happened to other people. I gained self respect and the respect of others. The business I had started in 2012 that was on the ropes began growing and thriving. I had so many good things going on, I didn't even have time to think about drinking.

I met a woman in 2018 at a church event where I had started going in 2013. Interestingly, AA and the steps had gotten me back into attending church, something I had not done since I left home for Aggieland in 1988. Everything I heard there just made more sense with viewed the the spiritual kindergarten lens I learned in the program. Anyway, she coincidentally had 13 years in Al-Anon, so she knew and was accepting of the my history. We fell in love and got married in 2019 and things are great today.

As we say, don't give up before the miracle happens. I could never have even fathom the gifts that Sobriety has given me. The only way for me to I can repay them is to carry the message.

Gig 'em, and keep coming back!
RickSawyer
AG
Great testimony!
aggiejim70
AG
Congratulations on your sobriety milestone. Come join us tomorrow and I'll see if I can find you a cyber 9 year chip.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213

Aya, I was like you. AA is simply not for everyone.

Yesterday was day 160 for me with no desire whatsoever to return to my former ways.
pinkdog
Na ZDravi….60 days! You are a beast!! Congratulations.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Why yes, yes I am! Seriously though, thanks!
P.U.T.U
AG
Joining the club for a bit, have a lot going on and busy as heck with work. Will say the boost of energy from being sober makes a huge difference
Na Zdraví 87
AG
73 days no booze. Went to Dr Tuesday after bloodwork done and he said that's the best my numbers have looked in years. He complimented on my weight loss too.
pinkdog
Congratulations!!! I think it's amazing what we can accomplish sober. Getting back into old hobbies…and proud of myself. I'll celebrate by eating an extra piece of cake with you. (Sorry yours is virtual) hee, hee, hee
Rudyjax
AG
I know this is peanuts, but about to go to bed on day 41. And 40 days of exercising somehow. I'm putting a project together I'll share January 1 2023.

Na Zdraví 87
AG
That is awesome. Keep it up!
Gabster43213
Tomorrow will be 6 months for me. My greatest support was the man who looked back at me when I would look in the mirror.

Congratulations to everyone else on their current and future success.
NWE
AG
Congrats! I'm right behind you. Tomorrow is 150.

It is 149 days from the start date to the end date, end date included.
Or 4 months, 27 days including the end date.
Alternative time units
149 days can be converted to one of these units:
12,873,600 seconds
214,560 minutes
3576 hours
149 days
21 weeks and 2 days
40.82% of a common year (365 days)
pinkdog
Congratulations to you guys!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.