Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

256,301 Views | 1131 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by P.U.T.U
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Congrats, reb! Great job!

Day 76 here
aggiejim70
AG
reb, said:

Just got one year for the first time. That's 365 days (in a row!).
Congrats, the oldtimers told me there are only two tough years in recovery, the first one, and the one you're in.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
ptothemo
AG
aggiejim70 said:

reb, said:

Just got one year for the first time. That's 365 days (in a row!).
Congrats, the oldtimers told me there are only two tough years in recovery, the first one, and the one you're in.
So we've got that going for us.....and that's nice

Congrats reb, keep up the good work!
SACR
K Bo
AG
Day 90. I had a challenging week at work, my divorce was finalized this morning, and tomorrow I'm heading to Detroit for a 3 stadium in 4 days baseball trip. Old me would treat this trip as a release, celebration, suppression, [insert whatever excuse I need to get ripped]. I have absolutely zero urge to do anything of the sort and instead I'm grateful for the lessons learned this last week, excited for the next chapter in my life, and looking forward to watching some baseball in new places where I have never been.
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

Day 90. I had a challenging week at work, my divorce was finalized this morning, and tomorrow I'm heading to Detroit for a 3 stadium in 4 days baseball trip. Old me would treat this trip as a release, celebration, suppression, [insert whatever excuse I need to get ripped]. I have absolutely zero urge to do anything of the sort and instead I'm grateful for the lessons learned this last week, excited for the next chapter in my life, and looking forward to watching some baseball in new places where I have never been.
Congrats Kbo!!!
SACR
AG
Which stadiums?
K Bo
AG
Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
SACR
AG

I'd make it a goal to 'celebrate' by choosing at least one food item you can't get at home at each of these parks, and take pics and post them on the Food forum so we can all live vicariously through you.

Detroit menu

Cleveland menu

Pittsburgh menu

K Bo
AG
Maybe I haven't paid much attention to the food at Minute Maid, or I'm jaded, but those menus are all impressive. Great idea! 'll try to do that.
wbt5845
AG
SACR said:

I'd make it a goal to 'celebrate' by choosing at least one food item you can't get at home at each of these parks, and take pics and post them on the Food forum so we can all live vicariously through you.

Detroit menu

Cleveland menu

Pittsburgh menu
In Pittsburgh, that sausage cart is run by guys who have a food truck by the same name.

It. Is. Awesome.
K Bo
AG
Artisan Sausage Cart? I'll definitely check that out.
wbt5845
AG
K Bo said:

Yeah, that's it. Been a few years since I've been there but they do sausage really well up there.
SACR
AG
K Bo said:

And post pictures.

Cannot stress this enough.
aggiejim70
AG
K Bo said:

Curious to know how your trip went.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
K Bo
AG
The trip was a lot of fun. All three stadiums were fantastic and the cities were better than expected. Comerica (Detroit) was the overall best experience, PNC (Pittsburgh) had the best view, and Progressive (Cleveland) was nice but nothing fantastic. I was very pleasantly surprised with how nice Detroit, or at least the areas where we ventured, was. Unfortunately, I didn't really eat anything of note at any of the stadiums but peanuts. I did try to save a meal for the Artisan Sausage Cart at PNC but I couldn't find it so I had a slice of pizza instead that was just OK. Of all three parks, Comerica has the best peanuts.

Edit: park photos:
Comerica Park (Detroit)

Progressive Field (Cleveland)

PNC Park (Pittsburgh)

wbt5845
AG
Yeah it's like even with first base on the ground level. Sorry.
K Bo
AG
Yeah, I looked over there (which was also the coinciding section from the linked article) but I didn't see it!
wbt5845
AG
K Bo said:

Yeah, I looked over there (which was also the coinciding section from the linked article) but I didn't see it!

Well, maybe they did away with it this year. Too bad.
ptothemo
AG
I have a substantial career change coming up - overall a great thing - that is going to be a bit of a challenge when it comes to sobriety and staying strong in recovery. I am going to be transitioning from an operations role into more of a sales based role. So, this means a few things:

1) More time on the road - hotels and airports were always a big drinking trigger for me
2) Less structure in my day to day and week to week routines
3) More time at dinners and other environments where drinking is more prevalent
4) More time around people who don't know the story of why I don't drink

I say all that to be open and honest about the challenges that I foresee as I think that putting the challenges out there diminishes their power in some way. I also know that challenges such as these are best attacked with the biggest support system possible available. One of my colleagues who has grown to be a best personal friend and is very aware of my whole alcohol situation is already on the team that I am joining so that will definitely help.

I am really confident in my sobriety, and I 100% know that it must continue in order for me to be a happy and healthy person. Also, I am really excited about the career opportunity as it is great next step that rewards years of hard work and experience. So, big things coming and I am looking forward to taking them on in recovery.

802 days sober today
K Bo
AG
Congratulations on the career change and 802 days!

The thing that stuck out the most to me in your post, besides turning all 4 of those things in to opportunities to prove your strength in recovery, is #4. This is something I wish I could do more of and something that excites me when I do get to do it - meeting new people. Where I've been or what I've done in the past doesn't matter. From the moment I meet that person I have a clean slate and can start as the person I want to be. For me that means I can flat out tell people I don't drink and don't need to get into details as to why.

Again, congratulations and I have faith you'll remain strong and work your way through each of those opportunities.
aggiejim70
AG
Ptot..Lord help me, I understand exactly where you're coming from. (King's English) You're coming up on three years and good things are happening in your life but you're more concerned about what some nameless faceless individuals might think if they catch you without a scotch & water at the company party than they would think if you had that scotch and set the whole alcoholic thing in motion again and piss away everything you have achieved so far. At about the same place insobriety as you are, I went to a Cowboy game and was convinced everyone in the stadium was saying, "look at the goofy SOB in the end zone, he's not drinking". More self conscious than I was a few years earlier when the Irving police hauled my drunk ass to jail.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
pilot_64
has anyone tried tea detoxing as part of a sobering up programme. Read an article about a red detox programme which has multiple health benefits and wondered if anyone has tried , considering purchasing :
https://bartonisports.home.blog/2019/05/20/is-it-possible-to-shrink-fat-cells/
P.U.T.U
AG
pilot_64 said:

has anyone tried tea detoxing as part of a sobering up programme. Read an article about a red detox programme which has multiple health benefits and wondered if anyone has tried , considering purchasing :
https://bartonisports.home.blog/2019/05/20/is-it-possible-to-shrink-fat-cells/

It's a scam.
ptothemo
AG
Jim, thank you for your perspective. When I first read your post (hell, the second time as well), I told myself "That's not me, I don't care what other people think. I'm just mindful of being around alcohol more, that's all." And then I got real with myself and came to grips with the fact that being in an environment in which I am the "different" one is challenging and that I am going to be conscious of it. I shouldn't ignore that due to some hubris based on number of days of sobriety.

Anyway, I mainly just want to say thank for you shooting it straight and calling it like it is. Knowing that it comes from a well intended and completely real place is really appreciated.
aggiejim70
AG
In almost every meeting someone reads "remember we deal with alcohol, cunning baffling, powerful". This is a good example. If you had an allergy to peanuts (I do), strawberries, shellfish, etc. you'd think nothing of asking the waiter to bring you something else, passing on them in the buffet, or just leaving them on your plate. Same thing if your religious views mean you exclude certain foods. If this happens at the winter sales convention and some guy from Chicago asks you why you're not eating the wonderful strawberry shortcake, you tell him you're allergic to strawberries and that that's the end of it. Run into the same guy at the after party and he tells you your not drinking and you feel like you owe him a detailed explanation. You don't. My line is, I had enough to drink in the 80's

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
aggiejim70
AG
Bump to check in. Hope everybody had a safe and sober 4th, and didn't get into a 5th.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
Howdy Jim! Thank you fir bumping this thread so I can share that today is 1,400 days for me!!! Not to brag but I'm proud of me.
ptothemo
AG
No fifths on the fourth or any day since bringing me to 846 days. I keep trying to catch Rick, but I haven't found a way to make one day count as more than one day. So, I'll just keep going my own one day at a time.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Howdy,

Been a heavy drinker since I was about 18. Not in the everyday since, but I had no control so when It was time to drink it was usually to blackout. Even when I am by myself I can easily put away some drinks and no one would know. Well, I am 27 now and have struggled mightily the last month after just being dumped. She was amazing and tried for years to get me to clean up my act. She would always say I know you are a great guy and wonderful man you just have to clean up your act. I knew what she meant as I struggle with over eating as well. I am very all or nothing person. Well, I have rationalized my month long bender as well I was dumped and "lost everything" so it's ok to have a few beers, right? Well, Saturday night ended in yet another black out and for someone who is diagnosed with OCD the last 2 days have been mental torture with reoccurring thoughts of what did I do during the moments I can't remember. Like most have stated I never thought I had a problem until rock bottom and now it is here. I am scared to lose the social aspects of my life, but my walk with Christ, health and ultimately my eventual peace is what I look forward to the most. I am on day 2, but thanks to you all as reading everyone's posts has solidified my decision.

ptothemo
AG
Hey man, all that I can tell you is that the steps you are taking are absolutely huge. The recognition of the negativity and how it is affecting you is not at all easy to do. But more importantly, the desire to do something about it is even more important. Words in this type of medium can sometimes feel hollow or contrived, but I really hope to convey just how much respect I have for the steps you are taking.

I am sure that you have seen my email address on this thread, but I am going to post it again. If you would like, shoot me an email, and I will send you my phone number. No pressure at all, I just want to make sure that I make myself available to you if you want or need someone to talk to or anything at all.

pcmoore21 at yahoo dot com
RickSawyer
AG
I am sorry you're going through this Forgiven but what an opportunity!! I wish I could've cleaned up my act at 27... I wish I could've been sober before kids were brought into the picture.

I know it hurts that she left you but you might not get another chance like this in life, a chance to really work on you with zero obligations!

Are you attending AA? Another group? Seeing a therapist?

Good luck in your journey.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I did a presentation on forgiveness at a state conference. I could email you that PowerPoint and have other free resources if you'd like. I recommend immediately going to AA, getting a temporary sponsor at the first meeting, reading the big book daily, prayer, considering non-addictive medicines like anti-depressants, and give both individual and group counseling a try. Exercise can be helpful as well. Let me know if you want my email address. Best to you!
aggiejim70
AG
Army, I was exactly where you described on 2-26-91. Over the next several hours an incredible set of events took place and at 8:15 that evening I found myself at the Bellaire AA Club in Houston, I have not had a drink since. I'm not here to put labels on anyone, but there's a good chance you're suffering from a disease called alcoholism. Only you can decide if that's the case. If you want to find out more and do something about it, I'd like to ditto the good Doctor's recommendations with the caveat that the Big Book is a text book, not a novel, and should be read as a text. If you get hold of one, let me recommend the Freedom From Bondage story in the back. Even though it's woman's story, it's my personal favorite. If you decide AA is for you anyone of us and those in the home group you find will be glad to help you. Best of everything for your journey down the Road of Happy Destiney.

JEW III '70

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
JTA1029
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.