Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

256,350 Views | 1131 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by P.U.T.U
RickSawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
option short side said:

RickSawyer said:

400 days today!
Dang that is really impressive. I have a question: When you use to drink was it hard to take days off, i.e. If i drink Friday will you continue to drink on a daily basis, or was it more on the days you decide to drink you find it very difficult to stop?

Looking back, I can identify problems when I began to consciously manage my 'drinking days'. At the time I felt responsible and like I was taking control but when I look back at those times with an honest lens I see the very beginnings of someone trying to regain control over his life.

That is not to say my truth is a [T]ruth and managing your days may be something that fits with you and your community. It didn't fit for me.

The challenge that I give many of my friends that ask the exact or very similar questions- try and take 30 days off. If you can't even imagine taking 30 days off then some humility and honesty around your drinking is probably in order. At the end if 30 days I have them explain to me what in their life will improve by reintroducing alcohol into the equation.

I can tell you from the depths of my soul that not one part of my life would improve from drinking alcohol ever again. It took loads of therapy to get me here and when I started the journey I did so with an open mind, considering the opportunity to drink moderately again one day. As I became more present and focused I began to realize my truths.

Of my friends who have completed a 30 day challenge (I recommend One Year No Beer for the challenge by the way, they do 30, 60, 90, 180 and 360 day challenges with online tracking and motivation plus community support) most continue alcohol free lifestyles, one says he can now drink moderately and control his behavior more and one thought he could moderate, had it all come unraveled, picked himself back up and began a 360 day challenge.

Hope that helps.

-Rick
agman08
Well, that game yesterday was rough! Dang Alabama and their all world team.
I stayed strong and used Root Beer and flavored water!
So, technically I got a win yesterday
RickSawyer
AG
agman08 said:

Well, that game yesterday was rough! Dang Alabama and their all world team.
I stayed strong and used Root Beer and flavored water!
So, technically I got a win yesterday

Great job man. Topo Chico, way to much yard work kept me far away from any temptation.
spadilly
S
Good job!
Sprite and a few Ginger sodas got me through.

Today is day 15 for me. Would still love a nice IPA, but it is getting easier.
bam02
AG
Day 13 for me. Still not sure what I will do after 30 days. I never intended to completely quit, although I felt like I was drinking too much and too often, and mostly resented that I always felt like I needed to have a drink to enjoy so many of the things I like to do.

I do have to admit it takes some of the joy out of some of these things. While going out to eat, watching Aggie football, camping last weekend, grilling, etc. I have missed it quite a bit... Not an overwhelming urge by any means, though. And yes I have killed several 12 packs of the La Croix and HEB carbonated waters as a substitute.

Still appreciating and enjoying this thread.
RickSawyer
AG
bam02 said:

GDay 13 for me. Still not sure what I will do after 30 days. I never intended to completely quit, although I felt like I was drinking too much and too often, and mostly resented that I always felt like I needed to have a drink to enjoy so many of the things I like to do.

I do have to admit it takes some of the joy out of some of these things. While going out to eat, watching Aggie football, camping last weekend, grilling, etc. I have missed it quite a bit... Not an overwhelming urge by any means, though. And yes I have killed several 12 packs of the La Croix and HEB carbonated waters as a substitute.

Still appreciating and enjoying this thread.
I appreciate your input. I do find it interesting that not drinking takes some joy out if your life. I am guessing you mean enjoyment more so than actual joy but it is an interesting take nonetheless. Best of luck on your 30 days!
K Bo
AG
Going in to day 16 here. I've had a couple tests (work HH and Aggie game at a bar) over the last week but was successful in sticking to soda water or Topo Chico w/ lime. As a matter of fact, next time I am at Kirby Ice House I am going to order a bucket of Topo Chico. I do miss the taste of a nice IPA or pilsner after doing something physically taxing but I am able to suppress those urges by remembering how I got here and how great I will feel tomorrow if I don't drink today.

I have noticed that I am more calm in high stress situations. Yesterday our dog escaped (through the gate that I left open) and I was very calm in scouring the neighborhood for him. In the past I likely would have gotten very angry and impatient. As it turns out our neighbor a couple houses down had him in his backyard. We all, dog included, had a good laugh at his temporary escape.

I, too, have been crushing Topo Chico/La Croix and have the occasional Kombucha.

Great work folks! Keep it up!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Day 13 here. Feel a ton better.
RickSawyer
AG
Proud of all y'all starting fresh. It's not easy and each of you deserves recognition for taking steps to improve yourself.
agman08
Almost forgot to check in.
50 DAYS SOBER TODAY!!!
Feel great. I've been eating really healthy as well and doing cardio everyday.
Today i did an hour on the Elliptical and then went for a 3 mile run before AA
Zemira
AG
This is a great thread. I wish everyone the best as addiction is tough. I have never had a problem, but a few family members have.

As a child I remember my grandfather going through a liter of gin a week. He said he didn't have a problem, and never had any social or physical problems. As an adult I realized no one can drink that much and be okay. He eventually passed when I was 23 and one of his many ailments was liver cancer.

I drank a few times to excess in college as everyone does but I typically would not drink more than 1-2 drinks a week. Then my health takes a nosedive and the first thing to go per the doctors is alcohol. I haven't had a drink in a year now because of the latest with my health.

The social aspect is hard, although I was only a light drinker. I just find my drink of choice (a Shirley Temple is good) and nurse that. Seems like every work social hour now involves a happy hour, so I just decline the drink tickets. It is ridiculous how many social events are now linked to drinking.

Keep your head up and take a day at a time.

spadilly
S
For those of us who started a 30 day alcohol fast the day after the Tennessee game, I just checked, and day 31?

Spoiler - Election Day.
bam02
AG
That's pretty darn funny right there. I'm included in that group.

Seriously, though, I haven't figured out what my goal/plan is for when my 30 days are up. As I've posted before, living without any drinks at all has been surprisingly easy. I have certainly missed it at certain occasions (and there have been several "drinking occasions"). I guess I just need to decide if I want to make all occasions "La Croix" occasions from now on.

I imagine I will go back to drinking but hopefully it will be more rare.
rangelady
AG
What is Topo Chico?
dubi
AG
rangelady said:

What is Topo Chico?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topo_Chico
K Bo
AG
Today begins day 26 for me (and sounds like some of you, as well). As I approach day 30 I keep asking myself "what am I going to on day 31?" Though short, it's been an amazing journey where along the way I have learned so much about feeling, managing feelings, and being present in situations. I do have cravings but those are very short sided. Nothing can offset the strength and clarity I feel the day after not consuming. I don't know that I'll never consume alcohol again but if I do I am damn sure doing it with a new mindset. Thankfully I have a fantastic wife that has been so supportive during my journey. There are times, when stressed out, I tell her I want a drink so bad and she'll calmly remind me why I am doing this, how far I have come, and how much stronger I will feel tomorrow for not drinking. She has gone so far as to drastically reduce her consumption, as well. Over the last 26 days I have seen her drink twice and each time was one, maybe two, glasses of wine. With that said, I feel as though I have worked too damn hard to make it to (almost) 30 days then just give in. I don't think I am ready to stop. It's almost as if I have become addicted to not drinking. I think I am going to extend my goal out to 90 days.

Those of you approaching day 30, as well, have you thought about what you're going to do on day 31?
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

Today begins day 26 for me (and sounds like some of you, as well). As I approach day 30 I keep asking myself "what am I going to on day 31?" Though short, it's been an amazing journey where along the way I have learned so much about feeling, managing feelings, and being present in situations. I do have cravings but those are very short sided. Nothing can offset the strength and clarity I feel the day after not consuming. I don't know that I'll never consume alcohol again but if I do I am damn sure doing it with a new mindset. Thankfully I have a fantastic wife that has been so supportive during my journey. There are times, when stressed out, I tell her I want a drink so bad and she'll calmly remind me why I am doing this, how far I have come, and how much stronger I will feel tomorrow for not drinking. She has gone so far as to drastically reduce her consumption, as well. Over the last 26 days I have seen her drink twice and each time was one, maybe two, glasses of wine. With that said, I feel as though I have worked too damn hard to make it to (almost) 30 days then just give in. I don't think I am ready to stop. It's almost as if I have become addicted to not drinking. I think I am going to extend my goal out to 90 days.

Those of you approaching day 30, as well, have you thought about what you're going to do on day 31?

Since I quit 421 days ago I have seen my wife have a drink. Like literally a single, one, uno.

Early on I asked her why she wasn't having a few more drinks and she said partly to support me but more than anything she informed me that she never really drank that much and the only reason she had a glass of wine or a beer etc... with dinner was because I either opened, ordered or brought it to her. Pretty amazing how muddled my reality was with a heavy alcohol fog across my perceptions.

Keep it up Kbo.
K Bo
AG
30! (Yesterday)
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

30! (Yesterday)

BOOM!
spadilly
S
K Bo said:

30! (Yesterday)

Here as well!
K Bo
AG
spadilly said:

K Bo said:

30! (Yesterday)

Here as well!
Great job, congrats!
agman08
60 Days Yesterday and picked up my chip at AA today.
RickSawyer
AG
Congrats on two months!
deadhead aggie
AG
bam02
AG
Deadhead, please tell me that's a selfie. If so I could use a sponsor.
agman08
^
I thought the EXACT same thing.
RickSawyer
AG
Barbara Palvin could sponsor me anywhere, anytime!

bam02
AG
Oh well...

Today is day 28 for me. Something about this thread must've really struck me because if you'd have told me 29 days ago I would do this I would have thought there was no way I could make it. The personal stories posted here are eye-opening and inspirational.

I will drink again, but it won't be on day 31 just because my 30 days over. It will probably be this Saturday at a wedding we are gong to. I know I will enjoy my drink but I am 100% certain it will all be different from now on. Much better perspective.
RickSawyer
AG
Proud of you! Please come on back if you decide to explore alcohol free lifestyle again!
AgConductor
Proud of everyone who has this struggle and manages to tackle the beast. I don't have an addictive personality. Never been addicting to anything but biting nails lol. But I'm glad to see all the positivity.
K Bo
AG
Getting in to day 39 here. How is everyone else doing?

Recently my cravings have been stronger than before but not strong enough that I cannot control them. I think I am getting to a point where I am starting to trust myself but not fully there, yet. My wife and I went to Oxheart a couple weeks ago and I really wanted to enjoy the wine pairing menu with our meal (I thought it would have added a level of enrichment) but I resisted. I think that's the only situation, in hindsight, through this process I would have been OK drinking. I am not sure, though, what that might have led to later int he evening. I think I can moderate but I am guilty of not doing things in moderation so it's probably best I avoided that scenario.

My (not so) long term goal is 90 days, but for now I won't be drinking today!
agman08
Day 68 and going strong. I'm just too stubborn to drink again. I was too stubborn to quit and now I'm too stubborn to drink. Lol
I'm an all or nothing guy. Since I'm not drinking I run daily and do between 30-120 minutes of cardio every day

I figure if I'm going to be addicted to something it might as well be working out
RickSawyer
AG
For me, great food leads to great evenings. Great wine leads to a ****storm. Just the way I am programmed. To each his own.

In Mex City on biz for first time in a while and remember how much the *******s I am with drink. I am depleting the local supply of Pelegrino and Perrier and feel damn good doing so.
K Bo
AG
Where's the Topo Chico?
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

Where's the Topo Chico?

Oddly enough, not in Mexico City!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.