Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

261,083 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by fc2112
Sailor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the response. Brazos club definitely has more options so I will pursue that first. I'll keep you r email in my back pocket for now.
aggiejim70
AG
If you're an alcoholic, as I am, that damn booze will come for your wealth, your health, your family and as you mentioned, your very soul. That's a hard reality. The good news is that through the application of the principles of AA one can learn to live without needing to drink or wanting to drink. I tell you this with 32 plus years sober in the program. The previous 25 years, I drank as good or bad, depending on your prospective, as anyone.

I second Petot's good suggestions. The man knows of what he speaks. All the best to you on your journey on the Road of Happy Destiny. Let me know if I can help. jew370@hotmail.com.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
P.U.T.U
AG
Think I am on day 30 of being sober, was planning on cutting back a little but every day just haven't felt like it. If I felt stressed I would grab my bible and/or Supercalm drink. There are times I feel like a beer like after yard work so I found some non-alcoholic beers to try. Plus only 25 calories compared to 250.

AA did a little for me when I went last year but in the end it wasn't for me. Plus I would see a few people in the class talk about being sober but saw them drinking at bars or at the grocery store loading up on alcohol.

My fiance bringing me back to God did more than anything, reading/listening to the bible calms me and makes my brain slow down. Before I was always on the go, she is the only person that has made me slow down and take care of myself. She does not drink that often anymore but said she will stay sober with me to make it easier on me. Think it also helps we don't hang around her drinking friends much that love drama which I can't stand.
Agwinner03
AG
This is my first time on this thread, but I am so grateful for all the encouraging stories. I am on day 55 of sobriety. The first 28 we spent in a rehab treatment facility. I was so ashamed walking in that place, but today I couldn't be happier. No more shame or guilt. Facing the problem head on changed, and probably saved my life. The support and encouragement from AA is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I wish I would have found this years ago, but I also know that I had to be ready to admit to my problem.

Good luck to everyone and keep the encouragement going!!
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Awesome! Congrats!
aggiejim70
AG
If you're class of '03, then give or take a few months, you're the same age I was when I started my trip down the Road of Happy Destiny. All the best to you. Scroll back to my last post and shoot me an email if you would like to be in contact.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Sailor
Quick update for those interested.

Currently getting all the required testing for liver transplant at St Lukes in Houston. Been in the hospital more time than home since February so really haven't had the time to attend any meetings. That said I heard there are online meetings, so I'll try to hit those up.

Last drink was January 15th, so at 3.5 months with absolutely no desire to drink. I do attribute some of that to just being sick, but also on God who I now call on regularly through prayer.
K Bo
AG
120 days
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Congratulations!
RickSawyer
AG
K Bo said:

120 days

My dude!!! Not many people know this but K Bo was instrumental in my decision to get sober over 7.5 years ago. He has been like a brother to me since college… I woke up one day and knew I had to make a change or my life was going to change for me in drastic fashion. I called him on my way into work and he told me, "turn around, go home, be honest with your wife about your problem and come up with a plan to fix it." Probably the best advice I ever listened to. Happy to see him on his own path now too.
K Bo
AG
God dang. I'm not crying, you're crying.
Swarely
Sailor said:

Quick update for those interested.

Currently getting all the required testing for liver transplant at St Lukes in Houston. Been in the hospital more time than home since February so really haven't had the time to attend any meetings. That said I heard there are online meetings, so I'll try to hit those up.

Last drink was January 15th, so at 3.5 months with absolutely no desire to drink. I do attribute some of that to just being sick, but also on God who I now call on regularly through prayer.

Are you trying to go through a living donor? I don't mean to pry, but the last two weeks I have been going up to Dallas to get poked and prodded to make sure I am a viable candidate to donate for someone that I know. I find out Wednesday if we are a go. Hopefully I am and the surgery can happen this summer.
K Bo
AG
150 days!
Agwinner03
AG
92 days today, or 3 calendar months! I can't believe how good I feel physically, mentally, and spiritually. It's been a great ride. I just completed my first work out in years. It felt great but doubt I will be able to walk tomorrow.
Agwinner03
AG
100 days today!!
aggiejim70
AG
K-Bo and '03, belated congratulations to the both of you.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
Sailor,

I assume you sufferend from varices?
aggiejim70
AG
Last night, I had the opportunity to attend a meeting of Group 1 in Akron Ohio. This is the group that traces its heritage right back to Dr. Bob's living room. Lots of AA history and memorabilia. Put this on your bucket list. You can also visit Dr Bob's house in Akron along with the Mayflower Hotel where Bill called the preacher. I think there are some time restrictions on that.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
K Bo
AG
180 days
K Bo
AG
P.U.T.U
AG
Friend of mine knew I had some issues in the past and reached out to me. In the end he always had an excuse for anything, last thing he said was I had no idea how difficult it was to stop. So made him a deal, neither of us drink for 6 months. A month in and he hasn't taken a sip and has lost 15 pounds, not sure if that is all alcohol or partly the late night drunken munchies but that is a lot of weight to come off in just 30 days.

I have noticed a change in my restaurant bills, my fiance and I ordering a drink or two each spikes that bill quickly.
K Bo
AG
Yeah, the savings is reason enough to quit!
Agwinner03
AG
5 months today!!
Otto 08
AG
Day 2… I've always joked that I'm a drunk, but when rock bottom hit I finally woke up and it wasn't funny anymore. I suppose I'm a bit of a high functioning, and it was always easy to make an excuse of just blowing off steam. Not much of a meeting guy, but could really use some guidance in navigating this new realization.
Gringo Viejo
I'd start by reading through this entire thread. It helped me get started.

Don't discount going to an AA meeting. Admitting to others that I was an alcoholic was one of the most liberating things I have ever done.

I'm sure there will be others that can offer additional suggestions.
aggiejim70
AG
Doing it on your own is like masturbation. It feels good for a little while, but then you get to thinking it would be more fun if you had someone with which to share your excitement.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Stat Monitor Repairman
Been trying to get a friend into rehab for a year for alcohol and opiates. Already been to rehab three or four times before. Opiates were doctor prescribed until they were blacklisted after an OD a few months ago.

They finally hit rock bottom (again) and agreed to go to back to rehab. Got out after 28 days. Now living in sober group home with a regular testing and starting IOP.

Feel like if this person doesn't make it this time they will go back to street drugs and with fentanyl and meth as prevalent as it is their time will be short.

I'm hopeful but not optimistic about this person making it. Feel like I'm watching a jenga tower thats teetering on edge.

Any advice here?
aggiejim70
AG
It's a sad thing to watch someone you care about destroy themselves with booze and/or drugs. Rehab is all well and good for taking a break, drying out, etc. If your friend has medical problems as a result of excess drinking and/or drugging these need to be addressed by the medical community.

The long-term solution won't come about until the individual in question wants to do something about it.

Don't beat yourself up over this, you don't have the power to fix him or her. You didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
P.U.T.U
AG
For the people I know that have gotten back on their feet after drugs like opioids and such, they found a new addiction to get them started. Several found fitness and almost going 180 degrees from their past life.

If they are in a recovery home they have to keep getting medical help, go through the process and recovery steps. The largest is the mental rehabilitation and recovery. Did they lose their purpose in life, kids move out of the house or just bored with life? Is there an event or PTSD they are trying to dull the memory of? Supporting them and helping them make sure they go to all their appointments will help them a ton. Going through the process alone reduces the chance recovery working.

The majority of those I know that have successfully recovered have something in common, they picked up the Bible and started reading. Your friends and family can't be with you all the time, but someone else can
Stat Monitor Repairman
This was a long term opioid user.

From what I've read, mixing alcohol with opioids gives you a different kind of high. It also makes people where they never feel the effects of being hung over so its a perpetual cycle. One might get tolerant to opioids but adding alcohol gives a different level of boost.

The opioid crisis that was allowed to drone on for decades is unbelievable. Now fentanyl seems to bee even worse.

I read a report of a HS student OD'ing on fentanyl at school recently from pressed pills.

Also read where the withdrawal from fentanyl is so great that people will do anything to keep from getting arrested or put in rehab where they are forced to withdraw.

Its amazing to me that the big pharma opiod issue ended and seamlessly transitioned to fentanyl. I've read where fentayl is being added to almost every conceivable type of street drug, even weed.

So that combined with alcohol is a horrific situation.

But that said, the farther I get in life the more I realize that alcohol may me the worst drug imaginable.
Gabster43213
AggieJim,

Hopefully you and I can agree to disagree with respect.

I will celebrate 2 years tomorrow and have done it totally on my own.

Everyone is different. I have not needed anyone else to help me. No one can do it for me.

If I ever need help, I will look to prayer and the almight God and his son, Jesus Christ.

Again, I hope we can agree to disagree with respect.
RickSawyer
AG
Gabster43213 said:

AggieJim,

Hopefully you and I can agree to disagree with respect.

I will celebrate 2 years tomorrow and have done it totally on my own.

Everyone is different. I have not needed anyone else to help me. No one can do it for me.

If I ever need help, I will look to prayer and the almight God and his son, Jesus Christ.

Again, I hope we can agree to disagree with respect.

Jim is pretty set in his ways and that's completely understandable when you put yourself in his shoes. He has a LOT of years under his belt and through his service he has seen AA work not only for his own path but also for others. Additionally I am willing to wager that he's seen folks turn away from AA and struggle to maintain an alcohol free life.

AA is not THE path. It's a path. A really great one with a lot of track record. A lot if the absolutes that AA members speak in are absolute truths for them and imperative to their continued sobriety and that is awesome for that individual.

I've racked up almost 8 years without AA as well. I have no ill will towards AA, quite the contrary - I believe it to be an amazing service to all our communities. Something we should all appreciate and hope to replicate in our communities.

I guess what I am saying is Jim can be right (and possibly set in his ways for great reasons) and you can be right as well. Both truths can exist alongside one another

Great job on the 2 years. Keep it up!
CC09LawAg
I think one part of AA that a lot of people benefit from is exactly what you mentioned - its hugely long track record of success.

I think for a lot of "DIYers", they look at that and say "If they can all do it, why can't I?"
aggiejim70
AG
Gabe, you're trying to manufacture controversy where controversy doesn't exist. Your situation is so unique it's mentioned on page 21 of the Big Book, first published over 80 years ago.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Gabster43213
As I thought....AggieJim never disappoints. Geez.

You have my sympathy, AJ.

Time to go and enjoy time with my grandson.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.