Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

260,920 Views | 1146 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by fc2112
aggiejim70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
K Bo
AG
Well, been away for a bit. Made it 41 days last year and learned so much. I definitely was drinking differently after my time off but I could feel myself losing some control recently so time to take another break, or maybe quit all together. Today is day 2 of a goal of 90+. Thankfully I have been looking forward to this 90 days so I am hopeful it won't be too difficult. Great job to all those that are sticking with it, starting their journey, or thinking about starting their journey.
MROD92
Thank you everyone that has contributed to this thread. As December hit I realized I needed to make some huge changes in my life, I could not remember that last day I had gone without a drink, and why have 1 when you can have 100? January 1 seemed like a good start day, I'm now on day 13. As many have stated, one day at a time. When I lay my head down, I thank God that I didn't have a drink. When I wake up, I thank Him for being with me on this new day that I'm not going to have a drink
bam02
AG
Good for you MROD. I wish you the best. Post here regularly with your progress.
MROD92
Will do, thank you. I'll confess, much like many in this thread found a substitute, mine has been regular Coca Cola. I've had moreCoke in the last two weeks than I have in 2 years, may need to find a new substitute for that too
agman08
Ha! It's strange what we substitute with. Coca Cola, while it's not the best for you is cheaper and won't get your ass thrown in jail. Keep it up
Day 127 for me
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
it has to do with blood glucose levels. i was never a sweet eater or soda drinker but when i first quit drinking and i was sleepless, restless and my body was going ape **** i craved sugar like crazy.

for those who are in on this and trying to stop a serious pattern i would recommend eating in a way to regulate hypoglycemic levels to help with the sugar/booze cravings.
agman08
Went to a brewery and then out to the Stockyards for my brothers birthday. Had water and Diet Coke and got everyone home safe. Even took them to Whataburger. At times I thought I wanted a drink and then I felt the money in my pocket and kept thinking about how great I will feel when I wake up.
I'm loving sobriety
aggiejim70
AG
Army......I applaud each of you for your efforts to date. For those of you having trouble with temptation, let me suggest a trip down Highway 101 in the Big Book. Start with the last paragraph on page 100 to the middle of page 102. Then be aware that Bill and the founders put this at the tail end of the chapter on the 12th step, not on a page in the thirties. Hang in there, and you'll wake up one morning in the 10th step and realize you don't drink anymore and you don't miss it. This really works.

Also, let me suggest the "Freedom From Bondage" story. Even though it's a women's story, it's my favorite, with a lot of good stuff.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
MROD92
Made it to day 17 without issues, yesterday was my first day sans Coca Cola as well. Thanks for everyone that has contributed to this thread, as many have stated I too get addicted to things, I can easily see working out being my next fix in the coming weeks. So strange that I've told my family so many times in the last 10 years, I'm really going to take a break from drinking, and I never followed through but now that I've posted it on TexAgs I feel more compelled to stick with it as I had promised.
Tanya 93
Well, I saw this. Must be fate.

I was sober and recently had a terrible relapse after huge problems coming to a head in my life.

I am now back on the sobriety wagon, but I am now trying AA just so I may have some emotional support.

For all of you that have done this and stayed on this, that is awesome. I hope and pray that the same will happen for me.

And I do know that most posters can't stand me, but please don't do this here. On this thread.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
you're good here. this is a very supportive group.
aggiejim70
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Well, I saw this. Must be fate.

I was sober and recently had a terrible relapse after huge problems coming to a head in my life.

I am now back on the sobriety wagon, but I am now trying AA just so I may have some emotional support.

For all of you that have done this and stayed on this, that is awesome. I hope and pray that the same will happen for me.

And I do know that most posters can't stand me, but please don't do this here. On this thread.
Tanya........Give or take a year, you're about the same age as when I came in. Your views on outside issues are irrelevant. Let me ask you this.......When you sobered up, had your problem been resolved? I didn't think so.

Do the basics.....find a home group, get a temporary sponsor, ninety meeting in ninety days and don't drink between meetings............That should give you the time to decide if you are indeed an alcoholic as defined in the Big Book and you're not going to solve the problem on your own. Then, as they say at virtually every meeting everywhere.....you are ready to take certain steps. All the best to you
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
deadhead aggie
AG
Tanya,

You're good people. I admit that I lurk on the Politics board and I read your posts. We share similar ideologies. Props for having the guts to put yours in writing and post them. Plus, we definitely share the same tastes in music. I assume you're a teen of the 80's. Yes, I lurk on the Entertainment board as well.

The above is great advice as it relates to your first 90 days. Keep an open mind. Try to listen to the similarities you have with the other AA folks......don't focus on the differences. One day at a time.....that's all that you need to commit to at this point. Make it to midnight tonight, and when you wake-up tomorrow, keep midnight in your crosshairs as your target. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good luck !!!

Sea Gull
AG
agman08 said:

Ha! It's strange what we substitute with. Coca Cola, while it's not the best for you is cheaper and won't get your ass thrown in jail. Keep it up
Day 127 for me
Haha! I agree! I quit drinking for a while (probably just January) so it's day 25 for me, but I suddenly have a sweet tooth again! I've never drank Coca Cola, but this month, it's been my go to!

On a more serious note, I'm really enjoying not drinking. I've found this month that the only part of it I miss is the social aspect. Don't miss anything else. I'm really happy (and shocked) that it really hasn't been that hard on me; not trying to brag/show off, but I was really expecting more withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Of course, it's still early, but it's been a really pleasant experience for me. Now I just need to add exercising to the mix!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just stumbled across this. First of all, great job to everyone!

I decided to do 30 days sober earlier in 2016. The previous November I was dumped pretty hard by the girl I'd been seeing and of course I largely drank my way through it. I had that moment when I realized though, that I was doing many of the same things I was talking trash about her for doing. She was (likely still is) an alcoholic. We'd joke about it when we were together, and I'd tell her she wasn't for a laundry list of reasons. After we'd been apart for about two months, I was having a drink and I had that realization that yes indeed she is an functioning alcoholic, and that I was becoming one as well.

I had a trip to NYC already scheduled in February, then a hunting trip with some close friends the weekend after. After that hunting trip, on March 1 I was going to be sober for 30 days. I had that date set, and I fully inteded to stick to it. That first day was a doozie, mainly at work. I distinctly recall having that, "You've got to be kidding me! I picked a hell of a day to quit drinking!" thought run through my mind shortly after I got home. Funny though, I quickly realized this is exactly why I needed to take a month off.

That first night was rough. I had trouble going to sleep without chemical assistance. That soon faded though, and the waking up feeling great was wonderful. The month actually went by very quickly and my productivity increased significantly. I did have a friends birthday party at Sam Houston Race Track to attend. Her husband had rented out a suite for everyone. The bartender looked at me quite strangely when I ordered a double vodka and water on the rocks, hold the vodka. Ice water good sir; I'd like a glass of ice water. Ironically when it was over, I was looking forward to a drink, but not craving it. It was nearly 2 weeks before the opportunity presented itself again. Alcohol just wasn't a priority anymore. I also really love getting to payday and still having the folding money I pulled at the last paycheck still in my pocket.

I do drink today, though now it's more I have to think back to when my last time having a drink was rather than wondering when was the last time I didn't. . I'm certainly more aware of it. As of late though, I've realized that the hangovers hurt a lot worse than they used to and they're more frequent even on less booze. The bars in my town close at midnight, and it used to not bother me to shut them down. Now even if I leave early, I feel like death the next morning. What does the future hold? Will I give it up entirely? I'm not quite sure. I haven't decided yet. Time I suppose will tell. I guess for now I'm still aiming for moderation on those nights that I do choose to partake.
aggiejim70
AG
Howdy Army, this is day 2 of my birthday month. If I don't drink and don't die, I'll have 26 years on the 26th. My ongoing prayer is to work the program from the positive. I'm not there a 100% yet. I can still close my eyes and relive the horrors of the morning of 2-26-91. That's why I stay close to the program.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
bam02
AG
I'll say a prayer for you, too, Jim. Keep going!
Not Funny
agman08
You've got this. I'm one that HAS to have the day after drink. It just kept getting earlier in the day. It's been a few months now and I don't even think about a drink and I was always "the guy with a beer in hand"
Stay strong, find something positive to focus on.
Find a local group and attend some meetings. Sometimes it helps to hear what others do.
The first week SUCKS
You will sweat, shake, feel like death and just get pissed off. Fight through it. Get some snickers and sweet tea
aggiejim70
AG
I'm not working my way through college selling AA memberships, but I've heard 100's if not 1,000's of stories similar to your post over the years. If you can do a right about face and learn to drink like a gentleman more power to you. If you need some help, please get some. Let me make a suggestion, stop by your local used book store and for a couple of bucks get a copy of the Big Book, Read the Doctors Opinion and through the bottom of page 63. I think you'll be amazed how the circumstances you described are addressed.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Vernada
AG
To me, the hardest part of not drinking is the 'habit' part it. I've been drinking for so long it's just what I do. If I'm bored, that must mean it's time to start drinking. And goodness knows once I've had one I'm not stopping as long as there's beer in the house.

I like the idea of a 30 day break. The idea of never drinking again is really just too big.

And like someone above said, I've always envied the folks that can just drink 1 or 2 or 3 beers and call it good.
K Bo
AG
Back at it, day 2!
deadhead aggie
AG
The last AA meeting I attended was on January 25th. I didn't really make a conscientious decision to quit, I just sort of stopped going.........no other way to put it. I felt myself "straying" a bit from the program at the end, not because I took up drinking again, but because I felt that I was a changed man.

Even though I've distanced myself from AA meetings, I honestly think the AA program was a success for me because it altered my entire view on drinking. Since January 25th, I've had 3 beers. Not too bad for someone that used to drink heavily 3 or 4 days a week.

Perhaps I wasn't an alcoholic and was just a heavy social drinker that needed something interjected into my life to reverse the direction I was headed. AA was that interjection.

I'm not advocating for anyone to leave AA by any means. I simply wanted to high-light my story. I'm hoping to never have to step foot in another AA meeting for the rest of my life, all the while keeping my drinking in check.

Good luck to all !!!

RickSawyer
AG
deadhead aggie said:

The last AA meeting I attended was on January 25th. I didn't really make a conscientious decision to quit, I just sort of stopped going.........no other way to put it. I felt myself "straying" a bit from the program at the end, not because I took up drinking again, but because I felt that I was a changed man.

Even though I've distanced myself from AA meetings, I honestly think the AA program was a success for me because it altered my entire view on drinking. Since January 25th, I've had 3 beers. Not too bad for someone that used to drink heavily 3 or 4 days a week.

Perhaps I wasn't an alcoholic and was just a heavy social drinker that needed something interjected into my life to reverse the direction I was headed. AA was that interjection.

I'm not advocating for anyone to leave AA by any means. I simply wanted to high-light my story. I'm hoping to never have to step foot in another AA meeting for the rest of my life, all the while keeping my drinking in check.

Good luck to all !!!

Good luck Deadhead. Your mileage may vary but I found moderation to be exhuasting. All the calculating, the measurement, quantifying, justifying... All of it was tiresome. Hope you have a better go at it than I did but alcohol free lifestyle fits me best.
aggiejim70
AG
Army.....I made it, today's the 26th and I have 26 years. 2-26-91, I awoke to the melodic voice of one of my FTAB classmate's wife telling him "get that SOB out of my house and never let him in here again". This as a result of my
last attempt to control and enjoy my drinking. This is not a forum for public 5th steps, so I'll skip the details. I wound up at the Bellaire AA Club in Houston that night, and haven't had a drink since. My wife and I went to dinner with that same couple a few weeks ago.

In response to one of the previous posts. The Big Book states that it is the obsession of every abnormal drinker that somehow someday he will control and enjoy his drinking. I heard that repeated in a meeting a few weeks ago. I can tell you that in my illustrious 25 year drinking career, with few exceptions, that if I controlled it, I didn't enjoy it, and if I enjoyed it, I didn't control it.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
RickSawyer
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Army.....I made it, today's the 26th and I have 26 years. 2-26-91, I awoke to the melodic voice of one of my FTAB classmate's wife telling him "get that SOB out of my house and never let him in here again". This as a result of my
last attempt to control and enjoy my drinking. This is not a forum for public 5th steps, so I'll skip the details. I wound up at the Bellaire AA Club in Houston that night, and haven't had a drink since. My wife and I went to dinner with that same couple a few weeks ago.

In response to one of the previous posts. The Big Book states that it is the obsession of every abnormal drinker that somehow someday he will control and enjoy his drinking. I heard that repeated in a meeting a few weeks ago. I can tell you that in my illustrious 25 year drinking career, with few exceptions, that if I controlled it, I didn't enjoy it, and if I enjoyed it, I didn't control it.
26 years. Hell yeah. Glad to hear AA worked and works for you!
K Bo
AG
aggiejim70 said:

if I controlled it, I didn't enjoy it, and if I enjoyed it, I didn't control it.
It's taken me a couple tries but i have finally figured this out. I have gone dry 30 days here and there and gone back to trying to moderate but it just becomes too much of a chore and I fall back in to bad habits.

Today is day 7 of [I'm hoping] forever. I had my most difficult test of my journey on Saturday night, but I made it through a friend's bachelor party. I was super anxious leading up to the event but it wasn't that bad, I had a great time, and I woke up with a clear mind and alert!
MROD92
You're an inspiration Jim, I've remained drink less for 2017. Started working out Jan 15, feeling great and enjoying life
agman08
6 Months Sober today!!!
This time 6 months ago I was unconscious and starting to wake up and drag myself to the closest store for my next drink before the BWW a mile down the road opened.
I walked because my wife had my keys! I had $50 that I had hidden in my toolbox because she had my wallet. I drank as much as I could after taking 3 xanax and I collapsed on the street. None of my neighbors or other bar patrons could wake me.
I spent the next several hours in jail before being sent to Millwood treatment facility in Arlington.

Best day of my life was hitting rock bottom.

Today, I am beyond happy and healthy, I work out 7 days a week. I've lost 60 pounds and the other day I ran 7 miles at a 7:44 pace! (Last year I ran a 5k in 36 minutes so you can see I've improved a bit)
You can say I'm now addicted to being the best athlete in my Church. Hahahaha. (That's kind of a joke)

Anyway. Congrats to everyone. Love you all and keep on fighting.
dubi
AG
Awesome update!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
awesome. keep it up, bud.
RickSawyer
AG
agman08 said:

6 Months Sober today!!!
This time 6 months ago I was unconscious and starting to wake up and drag myself to the closest store for my next drink before the BWW a mile down the road opened.
I walked because my wife had my keys! I had $50 that I had hidden in my toolbox because she had my wallet. I drank as much as I could after taking 3 xanax and I collapsed on the street. None of my neighbors or other bar patrons could wake me.
I spent the next several hours in jail before being sent to Millwood treatment facility in Arlington.

Best day of my life was hitting rock bottom.

Today, I am beyond happy and healthy, I work out 7 days a week. I've lost 60 pounds and the other day I ran 7 miles at a 7:44 pace! (Last year I ran a 5k in 36 minutes so you can see I've improved a bit)
You can say I'm now addicted to being the best athlete in my Church. Hahahaha. (That's kind of a joke)

Anyway. Congrats to everyone. Love you all and keep on fighting.
That is awesome man! Who is your support community?
agman08
I go to Graves Street in Mansfield.
Other than that, my coworkers, family and friends are ALL on board. Even my "drinking buddies" are helping me.

Keep positive people around you is the main thing.
RickSawyer
AG
agman08 said:

I go to Graves Street in Mansfield.
Other than that, my coworkers, family and friends are ALL on board. Even my "drinking buddies" are helping me.

Keep positive people around you is the main thing.
Yep, agree whole heartedly. You are whom you associate with. Similarly, I never tried AA so I can't speak to the positives or negatives nor do I wish to stir that can of worms but I have found that family, friends, a few online support groups and a therapist have been instruemental in my recovery... Not just recovery from alcohol but recovering the man I wanted to be when I was a 10 year old boy.

Keep it up man! 1.5 years here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.