Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Alcoholics Anonymous

256,347 Views | 1131 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by P.U.T.U
txagdan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am genuinely proud of you Ags. Keepp going
agman08
An Ag is my home AA group got his 30 day chip today (day 71 for me)
I told him it would be a breeze after this because if he can stay sober watching this damn football team then anything is possible
deadhead aggie
AG
good gosh this Thanksgiving break has been extremely difficult.......i'm staying in a log cabin in the Smoky Mountains with the wife's family and i'm struggling to stay sober.......first night was cornhole on the deck, last night was poker, tonight's the game, friday is all-day in Gatlinburg.......the liquor is flowing and i'm having to go down to the basement for self-appointed time-outs on a regular basis......

it's time like this that i question my decision to stay sober, but i'm going to do my best to make it to midnight tonite without a drink.......

hope everyone else's Thanksgiving break is going well !!!!

agman08
Stay strong brother. Just remember how good you feel. Trust me, I'm normally at least 6 beers in by now and I'm so glad I'm not.
Removed:09182020
AG
I promise you it gets easier. I've taken a few sobriety breaks in the past when I thought my drinking was out of control. I was sober for 5 months March-August and then decided I was ok for drinking moderately. September and October quickly reminded me that no, I was not ok and that alcohol was bigger than me. Today marks day 24 of sobriety.

To your point though, it gets easier to be around places where people are drinking and socializing. I was angry and nervous when I first started when my wife and I visited San Diego with friends and they went to Stones brewery. That was my beer of choice, and it was literally hell on Earth enduring that. Then the next happy hour at a bar drinking a coke wasn't quite as bad. Then I went to Scotland and went on a distillery tour and felt no need to drink.

Success builds on success, surviving Thanksgiving sober is like giving yourself a big will power booster shot for the challenges to come.
dubi
AG
Take a long walk. Rinse. Repeat.

Get in your car and take a nice drive.

Take lots of nature photos.

deadhead aggie
AG
thanks for the words of wisdom....

.just survived a tour of a moonshine distillery, complete with free samples......one moment at time at this point.....gonna hit up the local AA meeting in a few hours.....

thanks again.....

bigtruckguy3500
I think the Aggies are going to drive me to the bottle.
wesag
AG
K Bo said:

My decision to quit drinking is borne more out of a lack of understanding how to deal with feelings (good and bad) vs merely wanting to quit drinking. I have realized I use alcohol as a coping mechanism to suppress these feelings. I have to quit drinking so I can proceed down this path with a clear and focused mind.

Yesterday was day 1 without a drink since about April-ish. I am sure there were a couple days sprinkled in here and there but nothing I can remember for sure. Today was day 1 waking up after a dry evening and man was it a great feeling. I love waking up with a clear mind, no guilt, and a free flowing natural energy. I am most excited for, and keeping a strong focus on, the positive health benefits from sobriety.

One Year No Beer and That Sober Guy podcast are resources I have used (and will continue to use) along this journey.
wesag
AG
Damn man distilleries and breweries ?
AG
wesag said:

Damn man distilleries and breweries ?

Throw in Napa and Sonoma vineyards while sober as well.
P.U.T.U
AG
Damn wine country with no drinks, talk about impressive!
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Damn wine country with no drinks, talk about impressive!

For me personally, it's easy to live by the strict 0 alcohol rule. It's far harder for me to do 1-2 drink and stop rule. 1-2 quickly becomes 5 drinks. Moderate drinking slowly regressed to buying 3 sixpacks per week. I wish I had the willpower to be a moderate drinker.
Seven Costanza
AG

dubi
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
at least i got to be in the 1% of something in my lifetime. 10 drinks a day was child's play.
backintexas2013
AG
This is me. Three beers turns into a complete drunk night and possibly a three dayer.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I am keeping up with this thread now. It has given me the motivation to cut it back. I like the "how do you want to feel tomorrow" suggestion. I ask myself that now.
Matsui
deadhead aggie
AG
May be TLDR, but I want to share my thoughts......

I managed to survive the Thanksgiving holiday without drinking. I was in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains (not sure if it's still there now) with my in-laws. I was so confident going into the vacation that I was not going to drink. I was actually excited. No hangovers, no guilt, no shame, no embarrassment, no remorse. I gotta tell you, when I first opened the doors to the cabin, it hit me like a tank. I needed a drink and I needed one now. I was totally blind-sided by the urge. I really didn't expect it to happen. It taught me that I'm very far from being free of the urge to drink.

I'm a newbie to the AA program, but I have to say, in my short time with the program, it has given me an entirely new perspective on drinking. For example, we went to a moonshine distillery. My brother in-laws immediately bellied-up to the bar and started trying the free samples. I was right there with them and I was having a hard time not partaking. I really wanted to join in. But a little seed that was planted in my brain during my short time in AA, made me pause. I actually asked myself, "Do you want to take that first sip? Because you know, 1 is too many and 50 is not enough. You know where this is going to take you."

Before AA, this thought would have never crossed my mind. I would go to the bar and instinctively start drinking. Not drinking would be the furthest thing from my mind.

I guess I'm saying that, even though I haven't been in the program long, I'm already seeing a benefit. I like my new mind-set on drinking. I don't HAVE to drink when others are drinking. If I don't drink, guess what, they are still going to drink and they are still going to have a good time. They don't need me to join them to enjoy the moment. You know why? BECAUSE I'M NOT THAT IMPORTANT. I used to think that others expected me to drink because that's what I did. Get drunk, make people laugh, be the life of the party. I'd put this expectation on myself to get drunk because I had a reputation to up-hold. But you know what? I'm not that important. People's good times do not revolve around my drinking.

It's taken me a long time to come to this realization. And this realization was brought-on by my involvement in AA. Will I drink in one year? In 6 months? Tomorrow? I don't know. But I do know that I will not be drinking today.

Good luck to all.
JamesBREI06
AG
Seven Costanza said:

74 drinks/week, man.

wowzas, 10% of American adults are non-recovering alchoholics?
AG
Keep it up brother.
Kool
AG
Congratulations brutha. You are fighting a terrible disease and kicking its ass!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Best of luck to anyone reading this who struggles with alcohol. I wait everyday to get the phone call that a close relative is dead from drinking too much, and I lost my family (ex-wife is an active alcoholic whose parents suffer from denial).

Everyone's path is unique and they have to find their own way. Too me, the contribution I have is it isn't a personal issue...it is a family, friend(s), co-workers issue that requires support from any who crosses paths with an alcoholic, and the loved ones around them. Everyone has to be educated an open to recognize their own contributions.

chupacabra tacos
AG
Great discussion guys. I appreciate you all discussing your experiences and encouragement.

I have come to the realization that I need to re-evaluate my drinking. I want to do this with a clear mind, and it sounds like that is only going to be happen by drying out for a bit.

Day 5 here, and I made it through an entire weekend without a sip of alcohol. This from someone who was on most nights average 3-4 drinks of beer/ whiskey/ wine.

Congratulations to you all and, more importantly thank you for your encouragement.
AG
Hey CT, hope you're hanging in there. It can be tough around the holidays.
agman08
Picked up my 90 Day chip/coin today!!!!!
Celebrating by running a trail race at Brazos Bend State Park this Saturday. Supposed to be a 1/2 Marathon (13.1 miles) but the rain has rerouted the course to 13.78 miles so I will get in a little extra distance! I'll celebrate with a Snickers and a Le Croix
Cancelled
AG
Watch out for the gators! They are everywhere.
agman08
That's what I hear! Maybe I'm due for a PR. HAHA
chupacabra tacos
AG
Update: I made it through 20 days and, with running and eating better, I've dropped 12 pounds in that time.

Unfortunately, the streak is officially over as I had a sip of wine last night. The disappointment that it is over is by far greater than the taste of it. Still, I am looking forward to more streaks and feeling better moving forward.

As someone who keeps my struggles internal, I am grateful for you all sharing your journey. Thank you all. I don't think I would have arrived at this decision and corrective action without this topic.

Good luck to you all.
agman08
Keep it up man. It's not about the fall. It's about the rise!
Eliminatus
AG
I love threads like this.

I hit rock bottom at age 23. Took me a couple of years to dig out of my hole. Went alcohol free for the next 4. Started VERY light social drinking about a year ago. I don't think I have finished a full beer yet. I know this may not be normal but even my cravings are nearly non-existent. I think I have had maybe two actual cravings where I thought I might pick up a bottle again in the past 5 years. Both quashed within 10 minutes. The first time I did that I nearly cried with happiness and relief. I know the struggle is lifelong...but it was so damn liberating to beat it flat out, on my own, because I wanted to, for myself and myself alone. Even if it was just one day.

It was amazing how many "friends" I had that were based entirely on drinking. When I started slowing down I saw them less and less. And then none at all. And I will be the first to say that I do not miss them.

Another benefit I did not realize at first is how much money I was saving. Several hundreds of dollars a month easily.

The journey is hard. The hardest thing in a lot of people's lives.

But it is possible. It is more than possible. I know this because it is dark outside and I am sober.

Keep up the work everyone. It is worth it. I promise.

Kudos to everyone on this journey.

Ragoo
AG
1-1-2017 will be the day i quit smoking cigars, at least until I retire.

i know not AA but i usually drink a beer with a smoke, so I will cut that too.

I don't drink alcohol often and cant remember the last time i was intoxicated so I wanted to post up the vice that I need support quitting.
AG
Holidays have been rough with family that likes strong drink. No regrets in being the sober person, and being a guaranteed DD, but it has been hard feeling like (and being told by family members) that I am missing out. Stay strong everyone else in a similar boat.
aggiejim70
AG
I attended my 50th high school reunion last month and I have a 25 year chip in my pocket. So, I've spent half my adult life in AA. As Dr. Bob said, "If you want to quit drinking liquor for good and all and feel like you need some help, we know have an answer for you."

I am a knower when it comes to AA, not a wonderer, a "supposer" a thinker or anything of the kind. To all of you starting the program I have good news and some bad news. The good news is there is a solution, the bad news is
this is it.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.